Raphael Varane | Signed for United!

Status
Not open for further replies.
So many positive tweets yet something tells me were are setting ourselves up for disappointment.

Personally i like Tiago Djalo from Lille more. Djalo can and will do everything Varane will do as a CB. 100 % convinced. Both short and long time solution and investment.

Madrid are probably leaking our bids in hopes hopes PSG will come in with a mega offer to create a bidding war. As long as Varane makes it clear that he wants a move to United then it hopefully won’t matter.

We don't need to rush it, we have Madrid by the balls.

They need the money, they can't afford to risk losing Varane for nothing.

They're obviously going to set their stall as "pay up, we aren't selling for a small amount" and we can say, fine... we will take him for free next year.

Eventually we will find a middle ground. 50m euros for Varane is still a decent fee IMO, but I suspect it'll be closer to 40/45 eventually.

We don't need to rush it, we have Madrid by the balls.

They need the money, they can't afford to risk losing Varane for nothing.

They're obviously going to set their stall as "pay up, we aren't selling for a small amount" and we can say, fine... we will take him for free next year.

Eventually we will find a middle ground. 50m euros for Varane is still a decent fee IMO, but I suspect it'll be closer to 40/45 eventually.
Agree with the sentiment, although I think we will end up paying closer to 60m euros.

I think we will cave before Madrid does. Part of me might be hoping that happens more than anything though as I don't want to lose Varane over 5-10 mill. :(

Seems to me we're being used by Varane's contract to get an improved Real Madrid.

I'd still rather go for Cristian Romero, Varane hasn't been good the last two seasons.

So many positive tweets yet something tells me were are setting ourselves up for disappointment.

Because we can save ourselves £80+m in transfer fees by securing the players for next season. We can them a deal they won't be able to refuse at the cost of higher wages. Next season we'll have a few players contracts expire which can offset the cost of their expensive contracts. Makes too much sense though :nervous:

If it is a case that we are used by Varane so he can get a better deal at Madrid, who do we go for instead? None of the usual candidates excites me. They all have big questions marks against them.
Torres - is he a good enough header of the ball? Is he too slow? Is it strong enough? Overpriced?
Koude - is he too small? Is he too experienced? Take too long to get up to speed in the PL? Overpriced?

One option worth considering is Taposoda - very fast, very strong, good in the air, Left-footed, probably get him for €45m. One issue he has is the lack of experience similar to Koude.
We will be in for an interesting few weeks, If we can't land Varane. Hopefully, we get him and move on to landing a DM, then that would be a good transfer window.

AWB - Varane - Maguire - Shaw is a seriously quality defence. I’d anticipate a lot of clean sheets. You put a top quality DM in front of that and you’ve got a heck of a defensive unit. My dream scenario would be to give Barca a get out of jail free card and give them big bucks for De Jong.

I find it annoying when people complain about really good players who are available but don't come up with realistic options
Only Marquinhos and De Ligt would be quality realistic signings....but Varane is the by far best option.

Varane is world-class.
Maguire has improved a lot since he joined us.
And Lindelöf will be a great back-up (probably only for one season because he wants to play as starting CB).
Varane and Maguire can be our CB's for 4-5 years.

So yeah other people are very stupid if they don't want Varane.

a power move by Varane??? telling madrid if you don't sell me now at a responsible price i'll walk on a free next summer?

What? Woodward absolutely loves Varane and tried to buy him for £100m in 2018. Real Madrid said he was not for sale.

Yes. "In 2018" being the key part of that sentence. He was 25 and had a big resale value after 4 years. Now he's 28 and doesn't. Woodward doesn't like paying fees for older players. Matic at 27 and Maguire at 26 were about as far as he's previously gone with large fees. Most (not all) of his bigger fees have been 25 and under at the time. DVB, Sancho, Fred, AWB, Lukaku, Pogba.

Our transfers

a power move by Varane??? telling madrid if you don't sell me now at a responsible price i'll walk on a free next summer?

Good to see us getting a bit of transfer shit housery going. I’ve always thought we don’t do enough background work with transfers.

Gill was excellent because he was so “by the book” that he had the respect of every club around Europe and that paid off for him. We don’t have the same respect any more, nothing like it, so we really should be doing more dark arts.

United shouldn't be happy to wait. He's a good enough player to wait until the season starts for. But if it's nowhere near close by then, switch targets.

Nobody in our ranks is good enough to partner Maguire and another season of Lindelof and Maguire would just be a waste when it clearly isn't a league winning partnership.

Yes. "In 2018" being the key part of that sentence. He was 25 and had a big resale value after 4 years. Now he's 28 and doesn't. Woodward doesn't like paying fees for older players. Matic at 27 and Maguire at 26 were about as far as he's previously gone with large fees. Most (not all) of his bigger fees have been 25 and under at the time. DVB, Sancho, Fred, AWB, Lukaku, Pogba.

Our transfers
Matic was 29 and cost £40m. I’d say we would be willing to pay around that sum for Varane.

United shouldn't be happy to wait. He's a good enough player to wait until the season starts for. But if it's nowhere near close by then, switch targets.

Nobody in our ranks is good enough to partner Maguire and another season of Lindelof and Maguire would just be a waste when it clearly isn't a league winning partnership.
Correct, United shouldn't and wouldn't be happy to wait. I think they'd move to someone else if Varane tried to play out the season. I don't see that happening given his age as he can't risk having an injury that could potentially end his career and thus miss out on one final big pay day.

We should most certainly appear to “be happy to wait”.

Status
Not open for further replies.