Ranieri sacked as Leicester City manager

I understand the business side of having to stay in the premier league but he won the title, it was a fairy tale.

When you look back at the achievement it will always be spoiled in my view. If the club puts up a statue or has Ranieri pictures around the club it will just feel crass. They've pissed all over their achievement. It should be looked back on with great admiration.

I also believe the players would've done just enough

Like I say, the stakes are too high - you can't simply cross your fingers and hope for the best.

The players aren't working for Ranieri. They haven't been for a while. They're sinking like a stone.

The result against Sevilla was more encouraging, but there is nothing to suggest there will be an upturn in form in the league.
I agree. Getting relegated is a massive risk for a club. Don't know about Leicester but they've signed quite a lot of players since winning the league. Depending on the contracts these players (and those who've signed an extension - guess there have been a few as well) are on the situation could be even worse for them than for your average club if they go down.

That being said I still hope they go down but not because of this.

What type of upturn do you expect? Look at their roster, they lost the only good player they had and also think about the expectations in August 2015. If anything Ranieri should have left the club because he is far better than that lot.
They're not one of the 3/4/5 worst teams in the league, they weren't when Claudio took over and they're not when he left.
They simply shouldn't be where they are and we'll sadly see this when they play for the new manager and for their moves in the summer.

Before the Seville game it would have been harsh but at least understandable, but just after they finally played well seems bizarre.

Pathetic. They should sooner sack the players. Actually hope they go down now.

The Champions League money they're making this season would certainly cushion the financial blow of relegation.

I'm anything but a romantic but, seriously, there is absolutely no class in this decision. It's not even a smartly timed idea.

People saying it had to be done are brutal cynics.

They're not one of the 3/4/5 worst teams in the league, they weren't when Claudio took over and they're not when he left.
They simply shouldn't be where they are and we'll sadly see this when they play for the new manager and for their moves in the summer.

I disagree, I didn't rate their players last season and I still don't. That's the type of players that should play in Greece.

:lol:

Morgan, Huth, Drinkwater, Simpson & Fuchs standard is Top 10. :lol:

They literally only have 4/5 decent players & two of those are new signings (Ndidi, Slimani)
I don't think Drinkwater is that bad. Morgan is criminally bad and I haven't seen enough of Simpson to comment this year particularly.

If not in top 10 they should certainly be in a more comfortable position than they are. They look well and truly terrible and that's been the case for a while. The few good players they do have can be devastating when motivated and firing. Really, Leicester shouldn't be fighting relegation this year with the team they have.

The fact remains that they probably will get relegated without a major change and the sacking was necessary to preserve long term interests.

Correct decision. He was 100% going to relegate them. They'd stopped playing for him!

Even if they go down surely he should be backed, I mean the Champions League money along with parachute payments and sales of all the feckers who let him down (Mahrez, Vardy etc) would easily see them stable.

The timing along with managers currently available makes it even worse, I hope they go down now, their win last season is already tainted.

Leicester statement a couple of weeks ago....

"While there is a collective appreciation from everyone at the club that recent form needs to improve, the unprecedented success achieved in recent seasons has been based firmly on stability, togetherness and determination to overcome even the greatest challenges.

The entire club is and will remain united behind the manager and behind its players, collectively and firmly focused on the challenges ahead."

Before the Seville game it would have been harsh but at least understandable, but just after they finally played well seems bizarre.
:lol:

They were ridiculously poor against Sevilla, and were fortunate the game finished 2-1.

What type of upturn do you expect? Look at their roster, they lost the only good player they had and also think about the expectations in August 2015. If anything Ranieri should have left the club because he is far better than that lot.

Any kind of upturn. Leicester have been pitiful in recent weeks. Not just bad, but hopeless. They're sinking. All that the board can hope for is that the players get a jolt from the new manager and pick up just enough points to steer clear of danger.

I disagree, I didn't rate their players last season and I still don't. That's the type of players that should play in Greece.
You dont win the Premier League wuth Greek level players nor is Ranieri good enough to do so. Ranieri got sacked from fecking Greece after losing at home to the Faroes!
If we're going down the 'where were they before last year' angle then Ranieri is no great loss

I suspect Ranieri will have a few choice stories to tell about Kasper Schmeichel's behaviour in all of this.

For what it's worth, I think Ranieri himself is guilty of being too loyal to the XI (minus Kante) that won him the league. They subsequently lost faith in him and contributed to his downfall.

It's understandable, but that same XI haven't been playing for him in recent weeks. Enacting some kind of change might've been worth a try; switching to a back five to sure up the defence, starting Gray from the outset or giving Slimani more game-time might have done something to stop the rot.

They've tried week after week, hoping to recreate the conditions that saw them win the league last season, but it became obvious long ago that such an approach was proving fruitless. Ranieri is the fall guy, but the players are equally culpable.

I've seen Spanish clubs keeping their manager even until they got relegated just because he got them up from segunda to primera. And we aren't know as a patient country for coaches. The English case is just maddening and this very instance just appalling
He deserved to go though. Forget the fairy tale and forget sentimentality, he did very little to change tactics/players throughout the season. The fact he persisted with the same back four says it all. How many good halves of football have Leicester had this season? All I seen was little spells of good football, but large spells of mediocrity. I think when things are intrinsically bad between players and manager, there's only one right decision.