Ranieri sacked as Leicester City manager

The board only needed to answer one question, did they think he would keep them up? The answer is obviously no

When you think of what Burnley did when they went down, there's no excuse really. They didn't knee-jerk and sack Dyche and he got them straight back up. They really owed it to Ranieri to give him more time.

Should've awarded him with a statue and a life long contract. This man brought them the title and Andrea Bocelli to celebrate it with only 9 months ago.

Con te partirò (Time to say goodbye)

When I’m alone
I dream on the horizon
and words fail;
yes, I know there is no light
in a room where the sun is absent,
if you are not with me, with me.
At the windows
show everyone my heart
which you set alight;
enclose within me
the light you
encountered on the street.

28dde0d8d6ba89622880301696963896

Mourinho is right, he has raised expectations too high and he is being sacked because he achieved too much. If he had the domestic season he is having this year last season it would be seen as par and the question wouldn't be raised about sacking him. However, because of what he produced he now suffers from the players and owners thinking they have made it. They haven't they're a club who struck at the right time, defied probability and logic and did what most thought was impossible, Ranieri was a factor in that, he isn't the greatest manager in the world but he is a huge part of that story and it couldn't have happened without him, to get rid of him like this ruins the story, he could have kept them up this year then agreed to part ways amicably, as it is now he has been sacked/disgraced before the end of the season while competing in the champions league still. I hope they go down.

perhaps he didn't belive they needed him, given the style of play we had and how physical it was, without a major overhaul of the squad you don't change the style of play or increase the intensity of training when the medical team advise against it, look at the injury record this season compared to last...
Is Leicester's sitting back/counter attacking style really any more intense than the bulk of other PL clubs?

I know it's not a perfect science, but a look on physioroom shows that you've actually got a pretty good injury record this season compared to other teams in the league. And we shouldn't be comparing injury records with last season as Leicester are now in Europe and are playing twice a week. I've been mostly happy with the number of injuries United have had this season and Leicester have had even fewer.

As far as style of play goes, the Leicester 4-4-2 was always going to get found in the PL and most definitely in the CL. If Ranieri was trying to make adjustments or add new tactics to your arsenal, then he was absolutely right to do so.

Ultimately, I think the players thought they knew best and have refused to kick on from last season. Its disappointing because Ranieri was the one person at the club that actually knew what he was doing.

we sit back this season we didn't last season, we pressed from the front like Dortmund, Liverpool and Chelsea do

Astonishing volume of vitriol being sent to Leicester via Facebook and Twitter.

Wonder if the owners have calculated for this?

Ranieri and players won the title together. Ranieri has managed a lot of better clubs than Leicester and he had never won the league before. It`s not like he came and made those players 10 times better with a magic wood. Ranieri should be as much thankful to players as the players shuold be thankful to him. They worked together, they fought together, they lost together and they won the league together. I don`t agree with those who act like players had nothing to do with what happened last year.

Vardy and Mahrez had the chance to join the biggest clubs in the England, clubs that Ranieri probably will never have a chance to be in but they stayed there. They stayed loyal to the club, Specially Vardy. So you can`t say they are nobodies and they are nothing. They are responsible for Leicester`s success as much as Ranieri, just like they are responsible for current form as much as Rianeri.

We don`t know anything for sure about what happened with players and Ranieri. But the thing is when a team is not getting the results they should, when things are not working there will be tension with players and coaching staff, it`s a mental thing that they can`t perform at they best. It`s not like they sat together and they said let`s not play for the manager anymore so he`ll get sacked, this is what happens in every other club. I really don`t understand this thing that every time when players and a manager fall out it`s always 100% players fault. Are our players at fault for what happened with Moyes and LvG? Basically it`s like that, if we like the manager it`s the players fault for not playing for him, if we don`t like the manager it`s his fault and every little thing he does is a problem. I never liked this kind of opinion, It`s so black and white. Nothing is black or white.

Leicester are 2 points above Sunderland and 1 point above relegation zone. Sunderland and Hull have better form than them and Swansea already past them in the table. and the other team is Palace and they have Big Sam who knows how to deal with these situations. So they ARE in the relegation battle, They do have the worst form of all and they should be concernd about their spot in PL.

People like fairy tales. If Leicester get relegated they don`t care. They have their fairy tale that Leicester and their manager are together, that is the only thing they care about. But the reality is something else. Leicester needed a change, it`s not nice and fair but it`s necessary. Nothing in football is fair. I like Ranieri a lot, Leicester winning the league was my fairy tale too and it breaks my heart that Ranieri is not there anymore. But I can`t blame the owners for their concern and action. Could they wait a little bit more? Yeah, but showed a lot of patience till here.

Laughable that people think his sacking makes sense because they're facing relegation. Leicester are relegation fodder to begin with, it makes sense for them to be fearing for their spot in the PL.

What doesn't make sense is them becoming bloody CHAMPIONS, which they have Ranieri to thank for. To sack the man who made your irrelevant relegation side lift a championship trophy is just mental.

I get the whys of the sacking, player revolt and all that, had they not sacked him Leicester was definitely going down. But not how it ever got to that point to begin with. These players should be deifying the man and letting him shag their wives every Tuesday, not revolting against him. They deserve League 2 for that alone.

Dearly hoping they get relegated.
Very harsh but very true and couldn't have said it better myself.

Ranieri and players won the title together. Ranieri has managed a lot of better clubs than Leicester and he had never won the league before. It`s not like he came and made those players 10 times better with a magic wood. Ranieri should be as much thankful to players as the players shuold be thankful to him. They worked together, they fought together, they lost together and they won the league together. I don`t agree with those who act like players had nothing to do with what happened last year.

Vardy and Mahrez had the chance to join the biggest clubs in the England, clubs that Ranieri probably will never have a chance to be in but they stayed there. They stayed loyal to the club, Specially Vardy. So you can`t say they are nobodies and they are nothing. They are responsible for Leicester`s success as much as Ranieri, just like they are responsible for current form as much as Rianeri.

We don`t know anything for sure about what happened with players and Ranieri. But the thing is when a team is not getting the results they should, when things are not working there will be tension with players and coaching staff, it`s a mental thing that they can`t perform at they best. It`s not like they sat together and they said let`s not play for the manager anymore so he`ll get sacked, this is what happens in every other club. I really don`t understand this thing that every time when players and a manager fall out it`s always 100% players fault. Are our players at fault for what happened with Moyes and LvG? Basically it`s like that, if we like the manager it`s the players fault for not playing for him, if we don`t like the manager it`s his fault and every little thing he does is a problem. I never liked this kind of opinion, It`s so black and white. Nothing is black or white.

Leicester are 2 points above Sunderland and 1 point above relegation zone. Sunderland and Hull have better form than them and Swansea already past them in the table. and the other team is Palace and they have Big Sam who knows how to deal with these situations. So they ARE in the relegation battle, They do have the worst form of all and they should be concernd about their spot in PL.

People like fairy tales. If Leicester get relegated they don`t care. They have their fairy tale that Leicester and their manager are together, that is the only thing they care about. But the reality is something else. Leicester needed a change, it`s not nice and fair but it`s necessary. Nothing in football is fair. I like Ranieri a lot, Leicester winning the league was my fairy tale too and it breaks my heart that Ranieri is not there anymore. But I can`t blame the owners for their concern and action. Could they wait a little bit more? Yeah, but showed a lot of patience till here.
Great post and agree with you.

Pearson's henchmen are still at the club. They've been undermining Claudio while Pearson controls them from afar, like some kind of...um...Nosferatu bloke but with very long arms. Something like that anyway.

TL DR: I don't like Pearson very much.

I would have agreed with this had it been any of the top 7 sides, but Ranieri led them to their greatest achievement in their history, and will possibly remain the only major title we'd see them lift in our lifetime as well. He gave football hope and magic. To sack such a gentleman who made their team relevant and their name famous worldwide deserves much much more.

I agree with this of course but this is modern day football which is all about money and it doesn't surprise me one bit.

Pearson's henchmen are still at the club. They've been undermining Claudio while Pearson controls them from afar, like some kind of...um...Nosferatu bloke but with very long arms. Something like that anyway.

TL DR: I don't like Pearson very much.

:lol:

Ranieri could've been a lot more for Leicester even with their bad form this season, sometimes you have to stick with someone that is/has the potential to have a special chemistry with the club even if he's not having a good season. Imagine if Ferguson was sacked after ending 11th his second season? Or Cruyff when he ended behind Valencia in his second season too.

I could understand breaking the fairy tale if they had a clear shot at improving their manager regardless of results, but sacking the guy that won the PL with Leicester to bring Mancini or Pardew? My god it seems like a bad joke

Ridiculous decision but there is no loyalty in football these days, if you don't get results there is no hiding (save Wenger)

I just don't understand where Leicester's board thought they would finish this season, they were among my favorites for relegation and I think Ranieri knew they would get nowhere near the top half of the table this year. I don't think the players or Ranieri are specifically to blame, they've just slid back to where I see their natural level. Complacency was inevitable. Everyone, apart from City, knows to play a deep defensive line against them which pretty much negates Vardy's main method of scoring. Couple that with Kante leaving and Mahrez not turning up this year and it's not hard to see why they are where they are.

Who wants that job now anyway? Impossible shoes to fill and a big player exodus come summer.

Pearson also had them in a much worse position before guiding them to safety (as have other teams before). This whole assumption that he definitely would have taken them down is a bit flawed. Understandable, though don't agree it's an obvious decision. This is their level.

Mourinho is right, he has raised expectations too high and he is being sacked because he achieved too much. If he had the domestic season he is having this year last season it would be seen as par and the question wouldn't be raised about sacking him. However, because of what he produced he now suffers from the players and owners thinking they have made it. They haven't they're a club who struck at the right time, defied probability and logic and did what most thought was impossible, Ranieri was a factor in that, he isn't the greatest manager in the world but he is a huge part of that story and it couldn't have happened without him, to get rid of him like this ruins the story, he could have kept them up this year then agreed to part ways amicably, as it is now he has been sacked/disgraced before the end of the season while competing in the champions league still. I hope they go down.

If he had been in a relegation fight last season and then again this season, he'd probably still be fired.

Pearson also had them in a much worse position before guiding them to safety (as have other teams before). This whole assumption that he definitely would have taken them down is a bit flawed. Understandable, though don't agree it's an obvious decision. This is their level.
that Pearson side was still playing well and looked like it just needed a lucky break to get going, this side looked beaten from the moment something went against them in the game, players looked confused by tactics and bemused by selection.

according to someone with a decent source Ranieri had sidelined Craig Shakespear and Mike Stowell, key members of the coaching staff, reduced to role of the sports science team, sacked the psychologist that all the players used and were close to, changed the dietary staff and increased the intensity and volume of training against the advice of all the coaching team

That sounds crazy. Changing so many things that worked sop well in one summer doesn't make much sense. Seems like a case of trying to fix something that isn't broken. And then breaking it in the process. I am all for freshening things up (Wenger doesn't do it enough) but that seems nonsensical to change so much so quickly after such a successful season.

That sounds crazy. Changing so many things that worked sop well in one summer doesn't make much sense. Seems like a case of trying to fix something that isn't broken. And then breaking it in the process. I am all for freshening things up (Wenger doesn't do it enough) but that seems nonsensical to change so much so quickly after such a successful season.
yes and not to mention going from a high pressing aggressive tackling side to one that sits deep and sits off

Ranieri could've been a lot more for Leicester even with their bad form this season, sometimes you have to stick with someone that is/has the potential to have a special chemistry with the club even if he's not having a good season. Imagine if Ferguson was sacked after ending 11th his second season? Or Cruyff when he ended behind Valencia in his second season too.

I could understand breaking the fairy tale if they had a clear shot at improving their manager regardless of results, but sacking the guy that won the PL with Leicester to bring Mancini or Pardew? My god it seems like a bad joke

Yeah, I agree. If you have something special you should stick with it even if you're having a bad season and I think Ranieri and Leicester have a great chemistry. But look at your examples, Cruyff finished that season behing Valencia in 3rd place, Man Utd were never in relegation battle and I don't think SAF had a special chemistry with fans at that time. It was just how most clubs act 30 years ago. I wasn't there when Ron Atkinson was Man Utd's manager and I don't know that much about that time but I think fans loved Big Ron, but even then when the club got to the relegation battle he got fired.

Leicester won the league last season, nobody expected something magical from them this season but they're not just in a bad season they fighting for relegation. They are literally the worst team I think we played this season. They play like they have no clue.

I think one of their problems is that they are a team based on pace and Ranieri is manager that plays with possession football. Last season he tried to change Leicester's style but it didn't work and he changed back to pace. Now this season this difference of styles is hurting them. Their players are very confused in the game.

that Pearson side was still playing well and looked like it just needed a lucky break to get going, this side looked beaten from the moment something went against them in the game, players looked confused by tactics and bemused by selection.
So were Hull this season under Phelan. Thing is if you sacked Pearson mid season (remember there were rumouts that he was sacked around Xmas) everyone would have said good decision he's taking you down. You stay up and people say great decision, Pearson would have got you relegated. Get relegated and everyone says oh well, Pearson would have got you relegated anyway. Same can go to Martinez's teams who stayed up.

The players have probably just lost the hunger which isn't too surprising I suppose rather than all the conspiracy theories being floated around. Many of them probably never dreamt of winning the title so to actually win the damn thing they probably relaxed a but. It's a natural impulse. Goes to show even more what a genius Fergie was being able to motivate himself and his players year in year out.

Wes Morgan being "rested" for Jamaica's first match of the Copa Centenario because he was still recovering from their partying in Thailand was definitely a early sign.

I don't think sacking him is that outrageous, at least when you actually consider the environment he and all other football managers work in. He achieved something extraordinary and unexpected for them last season that's unlikely to be repeated again for a long time. He also looked increasingly certain to bring them down this season. I'm not sure the owners owed him the sort of loyalty whereby they put the interests of one man before those of the entire club, when you consider the financial issues relegation could cause now that they've become a 'big' club in terms of spending (not to mention it inevitably leading to losing many of the players who won them the title due to being unwilling to play in the Championship) and also the fact that the league win was a complete outlier when viewed in the context of his entire career (and even more particularly the last six or seven years). That sort of loyalty would be admirable, but not really in keeping with the cut throat nature of running a football club in the modern era.

Yeah, he might have saved them and, yeah, loyalty would be the ideal, but I think deep down the owners knew that even if he somehow survived it all, they'd only be kicking this particular can a year or two down the road. The players - whatever your view on them being able to do so - would have gotten their way eventually.
Pretty much this.
However, the Daily Telegraph revealed earlier this month that Ranieri’s methods have been confusing and angering the players who last season lifted the title for some time.

They included the bizarre instruction to train on the morning of the FA Cup tie at Derby County, while he has also frequently changed tactics without warning less than two hours before kick-off.

In the 0-0 draw in Copenhagen in November, he angrily confronted a popular member of the backroom staff over a row about the players wearing the wrong football studs.

It is also understood that earlier this year when Leicester’s players held talks to force a return to the tactics of last season - essentially 4-4-2 with the plan to counter-attack - Ranieri waved them away and insisted there should be only one voice at the club.

His treatment of Demarai Gray has also been a constant source of irritation, with Ranieri dropping the talented winger in favour of £15million signing Ahmed Musa, who has horribly underachieved since joining from CSKA Moscow.

Sources have also claimed that the mood in the dressing room in recent months has been “totally flat”, with some players even accepting that relegation was inevitable unless Ranieri left the club.

It is a scenario which reeks of player power, similar to Jose Mourinho’s demise at Chelsea last season, yet there has been a growing sense that Leicester were only heading one way.

Not all down to players obviously.

Which goes back to what I said in my first post (and what Leicester fans have been saying for months). Kante's departure is overplayed IMO, especially compared to the poor selection of team and tactics. Kante was integral in making an average defence, which has aged and is now operating closer to its standard level, look quality. And he initiated a lot of counter attacks. But the problem was Ranieri. I think it's disgraceful that the players turned on him, but replacing the manager is easier than replacing your squad obviously. We're almost 3 months into the year and Leicester have only picked up one point and have failed to score a single league goal in 6 games.

Ranieri couldn't even get his team motivated against relegation candidates, like Sunderland, Swansea, Hull, and Middlesbrough. Looking at the squad they have, they shouldn't be struggling against those sides. We all know football doesn't work that way, but something is seriously wrong when the team can't defend or attack.

On the timing of the sacking: I think it was probably decided last week, but the board made the decision to not sack him a couple of days before the Sevilla game. Which makes sense because if they sacked him last week, that would have disrupted CL preparation. And although it was a poor performance, they picked up a good result away from him against Sevilla, and now they have 3 weeks to prepare for the return leg. It's sad but it could have been worse (relegation). Blind loyalty and old habits got him the sack in the end. Credit to the owners.

If Im the owner, I keep Ranieri and sell the players who are revolting. Would rather start from thr ground up with Raneiri than the players theyve got now.

I have never before wanted to see Liverpool absolutely destroy the opposition . C'mon Pool all decent people will be on your side at the weekend (it will become part of your "istory" if you can do us all a fave.

I have never before wanted to see Liverpool absolutely destroy the opposition . C'mon Pool all decent people will be on your side at the weekend (it will become part of your "istory" if you can do us all a fave.

Sacking is coming at a bad time.
It would be so Liverpool, so typical Liverpool if we drop points. In fact I might actually put a bet on it. I would not be surprised in the slightest

"Leicester seem revitalised after Raneiri's sacking, they're playing with a lot more freedom and energy."
Leicester go in at Halftime 1-1, having previously trailed 1-0.
Second half they come out and score the winner around the 70th minute.

Would be just our luck, every other team gets to play the shit Leicester.
We get some jooped up version. :mad:

Ranieri seems like a great bloke and sentiment says that his sacking is a huge shame. Objectively, I think that this is the best for both Ranieri and Leicester. Together they achieved the impossible dream and neither Ranieri nor those players are ever going to experience anything better career-wise. It was their pinnacle and I think what has happened with Leicester was inevitable. A reduction in motivation, hard work and attention to detail have resulted in poor results, a lack of confidence and a consequent vicious cycle.

If Ranieri had stayed on Leicester will have been relegated and his legacy would've been tarnished. I haven't got a clue as to who is available to take over but the key is to appoint well and appoint quickly. Mancini's name has been bandied about and I think he'll be a decent appointment, someone with pedigree and new ideas to refocus their players. One thing that Leicester have over other teams fighting relegation is pace and players who can score goals....