Ranieri sacked as Leicester City manager

As much as it's all a bit of a shame, he's a rich man, the players feel they need something new, and Leicester need to avoid going down. Quite sensible really. He can still point to his achievements.

apparently it is being reported that senior player went to the owners, I think this is appalling.
He got a team of average players to play the best season they will ever and they have stabbed him in the back.
I hope they get relegated bunch off ungrateful cnuts

I think it depends what has happened behind the scenes, and on what they said, tbh. I don't think you can say it's appalling without knowing more.

Its disappointing that he got sacked and the players stopped playing for him to get the man who made them premier league champions sacked, but let's say he kept his job. At what stage would his sacking be justified?

If its 10/5 games to go and they are still in this spot?
Relegation?
Never?

Keep him, tell the players that he's staying no matter what and hope they pull their socks up to avoid relegation? They might have continued in this same vein in the knowledge that a premier league club will snap them up if relegation does happen. Now they may start playing again and Leicester may finish midtable.

That's just pathetic
Pathetic how? Jose is showing compassion to Claudio and he can relate to winning the league and being sacked midway through the following season. So there's a sly dig at Chelsea and the Media in there as well.

Pathetic how? Jose is showing compassion to Claudio and he can relate to winning the league and being sacked midway through the following season. So there's a sly dig at Chelsea and the Media in there as well.
also a man he made a habit of making a punching bag, so its a bit rich coming from him

I don't think sacking him is that outrageous, at least when you actually consider the environment he and all other football managers work in. He achieved something extraordinary and unexpected for them last season that's unlikely to be repeated again for a long time. He also looked increasingly certain to bring them down this season. I'm not sure the owners owed him the sort of loyalty whereby they put the interests of one man before those of the entire club, when you consider the financial issues relegation could cause now that they've become a 'big' club in terms of spending (not to mention it inevitably leading to losing many of the players who won them the title due to being unwilling to play in the Championship) and also the fact that the league win was a complete outlier when viewed in the context of his entire career (and even more particularly the last six or seven years). That sort of loyalty would be admirable, but not really in keeping with the cut throat nature of running a football club in the modern era.

Yeah, he might have saved them and, yeah, loyalty would be the ideal, but I think deep down the owners knew that even if he somehow survived it all, they'd only be kicking this particular can a year or two down the road. The players - whatever your view on them being able to do so - would have gotten their way eventually.

also a man he made a habit of making a punching bag, so its a bit rich coming from him
Pretty much this. Jose was never a friend of Ranieri. Quite the contrary actually.

I don't think sacking him is that outrageous, at least when you actually consider the environment he and all other football managers work in. He achieved something extraordinary and unexpected for them last season that's unlikely to be repeated again for a long time. He also looked increasingly certain to bring them down this season. I'm not sure the owners owed him the sort of loyalty whereby they put the interests of one man before those of the entire club, when you consider the financial issues relegation could cause now that they've become a 'big' club in terms of spending (not to mention it inevitably leading to losing many of the players who won them the title due to being unwilling to play in the Championship) and also the fact that the league win was a complete outlier when viewed in the context of his entire career (and even more particularly the last six or seven years). That sort of loyalty would be admirable, but not really in keeping with the cut throat nature of running a football club in the modern era.

Yeah, he might have saved them and, yeah, loyalty would be the ideal, but I think deep down the owners knew that even if he somehow survived it all, they'd only be kicking this particular can a year or two down the road. The players - whatever your view on them being able to do so - would have gotten their way eventually.

The thing is, so many people, myself included, keep calling their title last season a fluke, cinderalla story, once in a lifetime, etc etc. If that is the case and LFC is playing back down to their level, then can we really blame the players then, afterall they are just playing back to their level. Can we really expect the manager to be given unconditional job security for having a fluke season?

Jose wears a "CR" on his chest in support of Ranieri.

It's not like he's dead Jose. :O

according to someone with a decent source Ranieri had sidelined Craig Shakespear and Mike Stowell, key members of the coaching staff, reduced to role of the sports science team, sacked the psychologist that all the players used and were close to, changed the dietary staff and increased the intensity and volume of training against the advice of all the coaching team

There is no fairytale left. In sacking Ranieri, they've killed the fairytale with kitchen knives and pints for blood all over the street's of Leicester.

Whats left is the cold reality that the players let down a wonderful man, the fans have ideas way above their reality and the owners are gutless, unprincipled bastards.

Feck them all.
wouldn't go that far. They sacked Nigel Pearson because of their principles.

What are the supposed to do. A new manager is coming in, if they spend time praising Ranieri then the press would be all over them creating stories about how they won't play for this new manager because their loyalty lies with Ranieri. If any of the same players who are rumored to have been the ones involved in the supposed mutiny then the press will just give them shit about that. At this point best move is not to go public with any comments and focus on the games they need to win.

The thing is, so many people, myself included, keep calling their title last season a fluke, cinderalla story, once in a lifetime, etc etc. If that is the case and LFC is playing back down to their level, then can we really blame the players then, afterall they are just playing back to their level. Can we really expect the manager to be given unconditional job security for having a fluke season?

You can't fluke a league over 38 games.

If the team is back to their level, it also means the manager is not underperforming. It means that on a net scale, there is no problem. So why sack the manager?

The fact is, there is a problem, and it's more than results. There already have been reports of players meeting owners and friction with the assistant manager. This, after rumours of players and staff being (perhaps justifiably?) bitter with Ranieri getting too much credit for last season.

I feel Ranieri was in danger the moment it became clear his new signings were not working. This coupled with the expected performance dip meant change was needed and changing the manager is the most convenient move.

Sad but true.

He's a good manager, who achieved an incredible thing that will never be forgotten, but when things are going wrong to the extent they were, it's generally time for a change and the only way to do that is to change the manager.

That said, the next manager may be wise to cut loose of a few of those who led this 'mutiny' if reports are to be believed.

Not suprised. I realized that something like this will happen this season after their unconvincing title win last season.

Ranieri was not the primary architect of that accomplishment, but with most of their managerial staff already being poached away from other clubs, it will be hard for Leicester to rebuild and they might end up like Leeds. What they need as I stated last season is to find the formula for success they had under Pearson. Ranieri did not create that winning formula, Pearson, his managerial staff and his player did, so it is still attainable as it is already implemented in their player and some of the staff that is still there. They need a manager akin to Conte, that will bring back the confidence in the player and also capable of making necessary changes to the old guard or average player like Morgan, Drinkwater, Fusch, Huth, etc.

Leicester was a small club from nowhere in the bigger picture of world football and only come to global prominence because of a fairytale. Once the fairytale is gone, at midnight, Cinderella goes as a Cinderella and Leicester returns to being the douches of the story. Brand destroyed.

Sacking him after he got a nice result in the Sevilla Champion's away game is beyond treason.

If the team is back to their level, it also means the manager is not underperforming. It means that on a net scale, there is no problem. So why sack the manager?

The fact is, there is a problem, and it's more than results. There already have been reports of players meeting owners and friction with the assistant manager. This, after rumours of players and staff being (perhaps justifiably?) bitter with Ranieri getting too much credit for last season.

I feel Ranieri was in danger the moment it became clear his new signings were not working. This coupled with the expected performance dip meant change was needed and changing the manager is the most convenient move.

Sad but true.

Because something needs to be done to light a fire under the players to at least get them playing with some effort and not hanging their heads every time something goes against them. You can't cut a full squad of players in the middle of February, but you can change your manager. It has helped some clubs in the past survive the relegation fight. In other cases it has not worked. Time will tell with this one.

Sacking him after he got a nice result in the Sevilla Champion's away game is beyond treason.

Well let's not go overboard and let's not pretend they were not lucky to be 3-0 down and that it was Sevilla looking more likely to score when the Foxes got a goal against the run of play.

They got a life line from the result, but they really did not play well at all in that game.

they lost, played crap and were absolutely battered, dunno how that's a nice result
A 2-1 loss away in the Champions League is almost always a good result.
Well let's not go overboard and let's not pretend they were not lucky to be 3-0 down and that it was Sevilla looking more likely to score when the Foxes got a goal against the run of play.

They got a life line from the result, but they really did not play well at all in that game.
It doesn't really matter, they hold on to Ranieri till this game, then he gets a honest result who could make them well reach the next phase of a competition they never went.

A 2-1 loss away in the Champions League is almost always a good result.

It doesn't really matter, they hold on to Ranieri till this game, then he gets a honest result who could make them well reach the next phase of a competition they never went.

So what you are saying is it would have been okay to fire Ranieri BEFORE the Sevilla game, but because they played shitty but got a lucky result it is a bad idea. :lol::lol::rolleyes:

"honest result" really. :lol::rolleyes:

You can't fluke a league over 38 games.

They deserved to win, but even you have to admit the chances of a similar story happening again any time soon is slim. It was probably a once in a lifetime type achievement. so yeah it was sort of a fluke.

A bit like the US Men's Hockey team winning the Gold Medal at the 1980 Olympics. Great achievement but a bit of a fluke.

So what you are saying is it would have been okay to fire Ranieri BEFORE the Sevilla game, but because they played shitty but got a lucky result it is a bad idea. :lol::lol::rolleyes:
It would be more understandable if they sacked Ranieri in January, for instance, when he couldn't make them click in the Premier League. If they hold on till the Champions League, of course they shouldn't sack him even if they're going under in the Premier League, no matter how bad the team plays, at least until they're out of the Champions League. They're sacking their only First Division / Premier League trophy winning manager, for C… sake!

Can't even believe the news. Full respect for CRanieri & I wish him the best for the future.

He has written history in the books for Leicester FC. Fully disappointed to see him being sacked from a club who was in the 2nd division for lots of years, they promoted to the PL and he managed to win the league with an average team. Now, that difficult times are coming he is being sacked without giving him any chance to fight for not being relegated.

Anyway, I am hugely disappointed and I hope he will find a good team!

Well... they are a small club, after all. Before last season, they were nobodies. He put them on the map. And now they sack him without a thank you. I hope, heart and soul, that they get relegated.

They are obviously going for the 'new manager, new impetus' move.

It would be more understandable if they sacked Ranieri in January, for instance, when he couldn't make them click in the Premier League. If they hold on till the Champions League, of course they shouldn't sack him even if they're going under in the Premier League, no matter how bad the team plays. They're sacking they're only First Division / Premier League trophy winning manager, for C… sake!

So they still are sinking the PL but it was only okay to fire him for that in January and you would be okay with that. He doesn't deserve a job for life off of one lucky seasons result. The team as you put it is going under, a change needed to be made.

This just proves how false Ranieri was when everyone was referring him as a "top class manager". Don't get me wrong he was great motivator, got the best out of those players last season and took advantage over the big clubs who most of them were struggling to keep a consistent form due to management issues (United, City, Chelsea & as always Arsenal), and I applaud him for that. But this season was really to test his management skills and it was just what I expected. Even the Leicester board wasnt even asking too much as they never thought he can pull it off again, so they probably just asked just keep Leicester in the premier league and do well in the champions league.

Ranieri has been caught out, couldn't hack the overload of extra fixtures, never really strengthen Leicester during both summer and winter market, couldn't motivate his team as he did last season and more importantly just lacks the mind of a tactician. This guy has been sacked more times than he has won trophies, the guy was over hyped.

if they speak out about how sad they are they will be called 2 faced if they are happy they will be called heartless
It's not important what they are called though. With him they achieved something miraculous and they should at least acknowledge that no matter how sour it became this season.

previous performance stands for nothing and nor should it, imagine you ran a business and a manager increased performance through the roof then the next year performance dropped and your business stood to lose £70m+ they'd be sacked and no one would bat an eyelid

A victim if his own success and loyalty really. Had he finished 17th last season it would have been seen as a decent year for them and being 17th this year would be seen as mere stagnation.

If I were Ranieri I'd have sold 3 or 4 of their supposed big name players on 1st Jan and brought in some new blood that would fight for him. He'd have gotten maybe £70-75m for Mahrez, Huth, Morgan, Slimani and Drinkwater, despite their awful form. Instead he stuck with them to the bitter end to his detriment.

previous performance stands for nothing and nor should it, imagine you ran a business and a manager increased performance through the roof then the next year performance dropped and your business stood to lose £70m+ they'd be sacked and no one would bat an eyelid

That's a disingenuous example. They were battling relegation beforehand and are battling relegation now but are in the latter stages of the most prestigious competition in the world.

In your company example it would be like him taking over, designing and marketing an incredible new product which made unprecedented amounts of profit for the shareholders that all parties knew would be short term and then when the company returned to its prior "normal" level of profitability the manager is instantly sacked; despite said company now being a worldwide recognised brand, rather than a local shop.

It would be a ludicrous business decision.

Last edited:
They've been poor all season.....
exactly the players he picked had been shite for 6 months and he wouldn't drop them, he can only have himself to blame to that extent
A victim if his own success and loyalty really. Had he finished 17th last season it would have been seen as a decent year for them and being 17th this year would be seen as mere stagnation.

If I were Ranieri I'd have sold 3 or 4 of their supposed big name players on 1st Jan and brought in some new blood that would fight for him. He'd have gotten maybe £70-75m for Mahrez, Huth, Morgan, Slimani and Drinkwater, despite their awful form. Instead he stuck with them to the bitter end to his detriment.
had we finished 17th last season and played like we have this season he wouldn't have lasted past Octerber

Leicester should be bombed into the Stone Age for what they've done to a bloke I've never met. To sack him while he was on the toilet during the bus parade is shameful, especially the bit about passing him a note under the door. I'm going to care a lot about this until I next get distracted by a Trump tweet. I hope Lester is regulated - those players aren't fit to wear my skirt.