Ranieri sacked as Leicester City manager

Hilarious; Piers Morgan lectures on decency...

An undertone of racism, perhaps?

Those Leicester players should be ashamed with themselves. People cite Moyes, and our own players giving up on him, but Moyes never won anything with them.

I saw the first Sevilla goal the other day. Huth and Morgan are terrible centre backs.

Should've awarded him with a statue and a life long contract. This man brought them the title and Andrea Bocelli to celebrate it with only 9 months ago.

Leicester fans are actually more unintelligent than I thought. I was going through their forum & half of them think Nigel Pearson deserves credit for Leicester's title than Ranieri. Apparently there's no reason to believe Pearson couldn't have rode the same wave Ranieri did after saving them from relegation the previous campaign.

The surprising majority seem to think they have an excellent team & are as good or better than Everton, West Brom & Stoke.

More or less like Chelsea fans downplaying Jose's work at Chelsea (not saying PL title will be because of Jose but in general always talking shit about Jose)

It's a shame for him but he'll always have the incredible achievement of winning the league to look back on and be remembered for. I'm sure he can retire happy. In the long run it's probably no worse to leave now than have another 3 or 4 shit seasons until the 'immunity' runs out and get sacked then.

They'll still go down. And the nation will cheer. Read 85% percent if their fans wanted him out. They deserve relegation. They will be relegated and eventually come back up and be relegated again, cycle after cycle for a hundred years before they ever win the league again. Relegation is not death, its a frequent event for clubs like this. Winning the PL isn't. Should have kept him even if relegated and in the Summer got rid of Pearson's staff and the revolting players and started again - with the players remaining knowing their place.

It's worth mentioning, mind, that the role of the players in this debacle needs to be investigated. There are players in that Leicester dressing room that have let both their manager and supporters down and you can only assume (and hope) they'll be out on their arse come the summer.

Can't the reason just be that they are shit?

They were shit players before, they were shit when they joined Leicester, shit the season before last, suddenly good for one season, and then shit again this season.

Some of those players have played under managers far, far better than Ranieri in the past (not many mind) and they were shit then as well.

I don't think it needs a F.A investigation into why a defence made up of Wes Morgan and Robert Hugh is completely terrible, or why Jamie Vardy isn't scoring every game this year.

It would be far more logical to investigate how a bunch of terrible journeymen suddenly looked like Barcelona on steroids for an entire season last year than asking why they are all rubbish again.

The media was laughing when he was hired and now they are crying when he is sacked. So ironic.

My opinion is that it is the right decision. Even if they go down, Ranieri may not be the right person to get them back up. Winning the league is ok, but then spending so much money on players and wages and not even getting a mid-table finish (which is a massive underachievement even considering their league win). If anything, this decision came a bit too late for them to course correct and consolidate their position.

Even if Leicester were 2/3 places above the table, I am sure he wouldn't have been sacked. It was all going downhill and their future looked pretty bleak to be honest.

The media was laughing when he was hired and now they are crying when he is sacked. So ironic.

My opinion is that it is the right decision. Even if they go down, Ranieri may not be the right person to get them back up. Winning the league is ok, but then spending so much money on players and wages and not even getting a mid-table finish (which is a massive underachievement even considering their league win). If anything, this decision came a bit too late for them to course correct and consolidate their position.

Even if Leicester were 2/3 places above the table, I am sure he wouldn't have been sacked. It was all going downhill and their future looked pretty bleak to be honest.

That's really harsh. He took them to the premier league.
Surely he had the right to give it a shot.
I find abysmal

Feel for the owners, tough call. They've showed dignity and gratitude. Hope they don't give up on the Premier League.

I find abysmal
I agree. It is harsh. It's a business for their owners. They can't take the risk of letting their brand get diluted massively due to their love for Ranieri. In fact, they gave him a glowing tribute in the press conference but sadly the romanticism in football is lost. Not getting relegated superceeds everything nowadays.

No one comes up as a winner here. It's really sad. Winning the league doesn't give you much leeway in this day and age, it seems. I'm a bit shocked at the timing of it, given they had a decent result against Sevilla.

Also, we play them next. This is perfect timing isn't it?

They said in their statement that they gave him their "unwavering support", and two weeks later there's been no improvement so he needed to go.

They thought 2 games would be a good enough barometer? They might be about to get relegated but that's where they belong, he at least earned the right to try and bring them back up imo.

I agree, if they weren't in such a bad position I am sure the owners would have given him some slack. But with the benefits of not getting relegated, they must have felt the pressure to do something.

Emotionally seems like a heinous decision but, can't really blame them for making it for trying to stay in the premier league this season. Players have shit the bed but, at this point are the only ones that can make a difference till the end of the season. There is no guarantee of staying up but, if they go down it will be even harder to get back.

This LCFC story didn't start last season, it actually started with their great escape the intermission was winning the league. This season is seeing the end of a pretty incredible story line. I predicted they'd be fighting relegation this season and won't be surprised even after this firing and trying to inject someone new to stave it off, they will end up back in the Championship.

I agree. It is harsh. It's a business for their owners. They can't take the risk of letting their brand get diluted massively due to their love for Ranieri. In fact, they gave him a glowing tribute in the press conference but sadly the romanticism in football is lost. Not getting relegated superceeds everything nowadays.

Isn't this disgraceful decision killing their brand though?

What made the premier league win of Leicester so great is that it was a fairy tale. They were the total underdog. With the firing of rangieru they just established that they are "like everyone else"

Honestly, who will care about Leicester from this point on?

Perhaps this is why winning the league can be a blessing and a curse. For a lot of these players, winning the PL is something they'd never even dream of. They reached the promise land. Sometimes when you reach the promise land the only way is down after that. Dealing with the fall is rarely fun and rather than take the brunt of the blame, the players can just sulk, give up on the manager and get him sacked without much repercussion. It's a shame but that's where football is right now and we'll see if it ever changes in the near future.

I find abysmal
Give him a shot? In 2017, they've not scored a single league goal in 6 games - and have picked up one point. That's disgraceful.

We don't know how genuine this is, but the Daily Telegraph revealed the following yesterday:
They included the bizarre instruction to train on the morning of the FA Cup tie at Derby County, while he has also frequently changed tactics without warning less than two hours before kick-off.
What we do know is that Ranieri has a habit of doing that (Graeme Le Saux mentioned something similar quite recently). I wonder if starting Musa on the right against Sevilla was a last-minute decision.

Last edited by a moderator:
Isn't this disgraceful decision killing their brand though?

What made the premier league win of Leicester so great is that it was a fairy tale. They were the total underdog. With the firing of rangieru they just established that they are "like everyone else"

Honestly, who will care about Leicester from this point on?
They are thinking in terms of money actually. Not being in the premier league is a huge business loss. They can win over the fans later with one or two shiny toys.

Look, I don't agree with the approach. I am just trying to say that it makes sense from their point of view as they are running a business.

If he gets the credit for last season he gets the blame for this season, you can't have it both ways

Their brand? It's Leicester. Ranieri and Vardy are their brand.

If he gets the credit for last season he gets the blame for this season, you can't have it both ways

To an extent, but that also suggests he's taking the blame for having over-achieved so highly last season. Take last season out of the equation and Leicester are sitting exactly where most people would expect Leicester to be in the league. Had Ranieri managed to keep Leicester up last season in a similar style to Pearson the season before, and then found his team sitting in 17th this time around, I'm not sure he'd have been sacked.

You can't totally overlook Leicester's form this season, particularly since the turn of the year, but delusions of grandeur are mainly to blame for Ranieri's dismissal. In all seriousness, would it really have mattered had you gone down this season? Yes it would have been a bit embarrassing and rival fans would have mocked you for it, but those would also have been the same fans who a season before were congratulating you on winning your first ever league title. In 133 years. That has to count for something, surely? Even from a financial perspective, the money earned from winning the league last season and then the Champions League money from this season, plus the new parachute payments for going down, I'm not convinced the financial hit will even be that hard. Leicester are a yoyo club and, with last year as an exception, will continue to function well having to step down a division. I personally think they could have afforded in every sense to keep Ranieri on this season, irregardless of what happens by the end of it.

So true.
Even Lineker was annoyed by the decision to give him the job.

I also think it was a very wise decision to sack him, though he should have been sacked probably two or three months ago.
Ranieri was never the man with a clever plan B at hand. Nothing he has said recently suggests otherwise. With him they were doomed. Without him they have a chance.

This is a really bad move by the club. Ranieri somehow won the title with a bunch of below-average players and that was a miracle, one of the greatest miracles in the history of Football. Suddenly Leicester think they're a big club but really, battling to avoiding relegation is their normal level. They should have at least given him a chance to manage the team's CL campaign. A club like Leicester would never have even been in the CL had it not been for their miraculous achievement last season. Crazy that they've sacked him.

Even Mourinho who has had some bad blood with Ranieri from their days in Italy has come out strongly in support of him.