Ralf Rangnick | ex-interim manager | does anyone rate him?

Status
Not open for further replies.
His long term loan to Greater Manchester Police?

It was at the very end of the window, if anything it led to Lingards being forced to stay.
Spin it how you like but because of the managerial situation it seems likely that the board refused to sanction any deals in the window. I believe that and if you think that makes me stupid or whatever then so be it.

I’m glad he’s here. These guys quit on three managers. At least the new permanent won’t have to play a guessing game who needs to get out.

Realistically which manager in world football that was available could have come in an turned us around in such a short period of time?
Well, Ole did much better when he took over. There is hundreds of managers in Europe. I am sure we could have found someone to do a job. We just lack imagination on board level. Yet again we went for a dinosaur who didn’t coach for a long time as well.
It was a dumb decision, but sure no one could have done better…

This again touted by Ole inners as a big achievement per usual. That stat does not show the draws which Ragnick definitely had more than the hammering Ole had. Maybe you can pull out the W/D/L stats.

The last few weeks under Ole was real bad but at least we had a lot of good moments too. Beat City countless times, PSG a few times, Beat Chelsea like 4 times in just over 12 months, knocked Liverpool out of the cup.

Ralf has only been in job a very short time but there's not really been a single big moment for him. Beating Spurs probably best it's got for him. He's lost to a championship team in the cup at home and we went out in the CL with a whimper.

He's no better than Ole. In fact I don't think he'd ever get this club to finish 3rd or 2nd from what I have seen so far.

But with Ronaldo, Varane and Sancho. Martial has been dreadful for 18 months… he’s the reason Ralf has underperformed? That’s a laugh.
Ole also had Ronaldo and Sancho and still got sacked. One can't package this season to make Ole look good at Ralf's expense no matter what creative angle they come up with. Anything they say one can repeat but sign off with "..Ole had same and still got sacked" because that's what actually happened. For last season's team Ralf doesn't even have half of our attackers from last season so there's little parallel to be drawn there.

Counter attacking and imposing a disciplined counter pressing structure are two very different things.

Why is him failing big time in implementing a disciplined counter pressing structure seen as a positive?

The last few weeks under Ole was real bad but at least we had a lot of good moments too. Beat City countless times, PSG a few times, Beat Chelsea like 4 times in just over 12 months, knocked Liverpool out of the cup.

Ralf has only been in job a very short time but there's not really been a single big moment for him. Beating Spurs probably best it's got for him. He's lost to a championship team in the cup at home and we went out in the CL with a whimper.

He's no better than Ole. In fact I don't think he'd ever get this club to finish 3rd or 2nd from what I have seen so far.
remind us how much ole spent, 300m was it? didnt even play a bunch of his own signings, just the same 13 players. ole got 2nd because liverpool and chelsea collapsed

Ralf has been found out by the Premier League and by the size and expectations of the club. He is clearly out of his depth and flailing from match to match. The team has regressed under his stewardship and it hard to think of one individual who has improved since he arrived.

Spin it how you like but because of the managerial situation it seems likely that the board refused to sanction any deals in the window. I believe that and if you think that makes me stupid or whatever then so be it.

Spin what how i like. Greenwood was arrested on the 31st of jan, literally the same day as the transfer window closed. Mind you this is a guess, but i am fairly convinced that no one at the club actually banked on that happening.

Look, if you want to believe the board refused to sanction any deals, without there being a single thing actually backing up it up, then by all means. Ralf Rangnick is fairly outspoken, to the annoyance of just about everyone, so if he was refused to sign someone it’s very likely that we’d know about it in details.

remind us how much ole spent, 300m was it? didnt even play a bunch of his own signings, just the same 13 players. ole got 2nd because liverpool and chelsea collapsed

What's Ralf's biggest achievement in club management?

You compared 3 years and 300m to 6 months of a toxic broken mess to clean up. its a silly comparison

Not really. I don't blame him for the state of the club and team. He's totally blameless in all that.

However he hasn't got more PTS or wins than Ole did. We haven't had a new manager bounce have we?

Not really. I don't blame him for the state of the club and team. He's totally blameless in all that.

However he hasn't got more PTS or wins than Ole did. We haven't had a new manager bounce have we?

Why do you insist on comparing the overall career at United of a manager who spunked 300m on players and a manager who hasn’t made a single signing? It’s beyond dumb.

Why is him failing big time in implementing a disciplined counter pressing structure seen as a positive?

The players won’t do it, he was forced to abandon it after 3 games… 3!
it doesn’t matter which manager you bring in if the players ignore him.. they have too much power, they’re on too much money, and until we see a massive shift in playing staff, it will always be the same

Why do you insist on comparing the overall career at United of a manager who spunked 300m on players and a manager who hasn’t made a single signing? It’s beyond dumb.

How much had Ole spent when he came in and won 10 of his first 11 games?

Didn't think that one through did you?

Ralf has been found out by the Premier League and by the size and expectations of the club. He is clearly out of his depth and flailing from match to match. The team has regressed under his stewardship and it hard to think of one individual who has improved since he arrived.
You honestly think we look worse now than we did in the last month of Ole? The bottom line is that it's a shite group of players, and Rangnick isn't the guy to get them performing (not sure that guy exists, to be honest.) I would love the idea of Rangnick actually being given some power so he help get rid of the dead wood with the next manager, but I don't really see that happening.

This is just wrong. Admittedly they were both quite bad today but I’ve seen major improvements in Fred and Sancho. There was an improvement in McTominay and he has been getting a tune out of Dalot too. At times the performances were showing real signs of coherence and fluidity. You can’t just factor out all the problems and context of the club in general when assessing his performance, not to mention he has been able to sign precisely 0 players,

How much had Ole spent when he came in and won 10 of his first 11 games?

Didn't think that one through did you?
this is how you analyse situations? Ole took over a full healthy squad who were delighted to have him purely on the fact he wasnt Jose.

Dreadful interim appointment to take over a dreadful group of players. It's the blind leading the blind. I have zero faith in this club at board level to make the right decisions in pulling this club forward.

One common and very damning thing since SAF retired is that under every single manager until today apart from a couple of months here and there we just don’t know where the goals will be coming from. We create so little and have zero or very little attacking players in promising or dangerous areas.

Under SAF even in some of our worst games or even when we had to field 8 defenders, etc. due to injuries, in 99,99 % of games we at least always knew that we would AND how we would be creating chances. The players, the fans, everyone knew it.
Since then almost nothing.

Ralf is right that we need hungry players, but at the same time we are not Leipzig. A great manager needs to get the best out of some big name / experienced / star players as well.
Some of our current players are not top class. But neither are his tactics and coaching, and as a result neither are his performances and results.

I think we look better under Rangnick than Ole.
Yes and Rangnick even alluded to the fact that the mess we are in is because of our recruitment. These lot are just not good enough.

Rangnick mentioned his role for next 2 years is 90% clear. I seriously hope he and the next manager sit together and identify the players we need to move on. No more clean slate for any player.

He's not excelled, has he?

I think he was worth the attempt because you never actually know until a manager gets through the door. That goes for ten Hag, and all the rest. Until they see the size of the task and get to grips with it, it is completely uncertain. But we were heading down the toilet with Ole so nothing has been lost in the attempt.

But ultimately, not getting 4th from the position he had when he arrived will be a major downer. I think that's poor. Perhaps that goal was a lot tougher than it looked with the fragilities we have, but it seemed eminently achievable with a nice Christmas run.

Has to be called as it is. Seems a good man, handles himself well, there has been a glimmer in some performances, but ultimately where it matters he's failing.

He looks so furstrated, like a teacher of a load of naughty school kids who can't even cope with simple instructions.

Time to write notes for new manager who's f*cking off.

That thing alone can help avoid the new one a total anarchy.

This is just wrong. Admittedly they were both quite bad today but I’ve seen major improvements in Fred and Sancho. There was an improvement in McTominay and he has been getting a tune out of Dalot too. At times the performances were showing real signs of coherence and fluidity. You can’t just factor out all the problems and context of the club in general when assessing his performance, not to mention he has been able to sign precisely 0 players,
Fred has probably been our most improved player, Sancho's improvement was from such a low base there was only one direction he could go. As for McT I don't feel he has improved, he still goes missing when the game gets tough. Dalot maybe has improved, but I strongly disagree that the team has shown real signs of coherence and fluidity. However we set up it is far too easy for the opposition to play through us. Granted he has not been able to sign any players, but that may not be a bad thing if it means the new manager has a bigger purse.

this is how you analyse situations? Ole took over a full healthy squad who were delighted to have him purely on the fact he wasnt Jose.

Surely they were all happy he got fired though given we weren't doing great? Why no bounce for Ralf?

I think some our fanbase are trying to convince themselves he's a top coach because they didn't like Ole. Michael Carrick wouldn't have done any worse than Ralf has. That just about sums it up.

Surely they were all happy he got fired though given we weren't doing great? Why no bounce for Ralf?

I think some our fanbase are trying to convince themselves he's a top coach because they didn't like Ole. Michael Carrick wouldn't have done any worse than Ralf has. That just about sums it up.
im more anti 'the players' than 'pro Ralf'. the dressing room was completely fractured when he took over, and continued to publicly turn on him in a matter of weeks. Shaw/Pogbas quotes this week just confirm the enviroment. Thankfully Ralf has replied in kind saying lots of these guys are just about themselves, and things need to change going forward

Rangnick is facing the same issue that Ole used to face near the end of the season. These lot are in holiday mood already. We need a complete reset of first team next season.
I think there's a lot of truth in this. Someone here mentioned it in the Marcus Rashford thread that he was looking for a good pre-season and a new beginning as though this season was already mentally checked-out.

im more anti 'the players' than 'pro Ralf'. the dressing room was completely fractured when he took over, and continued to publicly turn on him in a matter of weeks. Shaw/Pogbas quotes this week just confirm the enviroment. Thankfully Ralf has replied in kind saying lots of these guys are just about themselves, and things need to change going forward

Yet he picked both of them.....hahahaha.

Not singing anyone in January was a colossal mistake and effectively was a surrender of the top 4 position. Not bringing in a world class coaching team after Ole was another amazingly stupid blunder. I'm not sure why anyone thought Rangnick could fix everything on his own - he needed a world class coaching team and a few signings, and got neither. They are no better at handling opposition tactical adjustments than when they first started, we still surrender midfield by making silly substitutions and we're still awful at set pieces.

I honestly was skeptical of Rangnick from the get go - he's historically more talk than action - but we really haven't provided him with what he'd need to succeed. The sooner we get a new manager the better - let's at least be prepared to start signing players and staff as the season ends and be ready to give it a go next season - because we gave up on this season in January.

Realistically which manager in world football that was available could have come in an turned us around in such a short period of time?
I agree, as bad as current results are, that period of Liverpool, City and Watford were bigger than just losing some games. I've never seen it in over 40 years of watching us, the way we crumbled.

For me the problem is and was always going to be that we kept hold of Ole far too long. By the time we got rid of him this team had already endured multiple confidence shredding humiliations this season. Half the squad had been mismanaged over a massively prolonged period, to the point they were a shadow of the players they should be and/or were being actively disruptive.

The worst you can say for Rangnick is he has failed to sort much of it out, but then the fire brigade can't save a building if it's already burnt down by the time you phone them.

I think he talks sense, you can see how he wants to play, and his subs generally make sense. That's not really enough to say it's a glowing endorsement, but I think it's pointless blaming him for a multitude of problems that in all honesty probably wouldn't have happened if he or someone else had been appointed in the summer.

The Rashford situation sums it up. Neville (who is frankly a fecking idiot) spent the whole game going on as if Rashford's poor form was down to Rangnick. Rashford was played to death by Ole. Forced to play with a literal broken back, one arm and one leg, then played continuously out of position for no fecking reason and never dropped or rested, to the point he was completely shot. Rangnick has come in after all this and somehow this is apparently his fault. What was he meant to do about it without access to a time machine?

And some of the mess goes right to Ole's doorstep, personally I think his core has overplayed during the COVID fixture and is now burnt out. Rashford, Maguire, Bruno, AWB and Shaw weren't this bad but were horribly mismanaged by a manager who knew that he had to get top four at costs to survive.

Ralf has come and misdiagnosed the situation with some of them, confusing burnout for unprofessionalism. Add to the frustration of unmet expectations after signings of Ronaldo, Sancho and Varane we have a perfect storm on our hands.

Another thing is that Ole seemed to appease a lot of them and played to their strengths, low block and break on the counter. This season's expectations exposed them, they got found out and Ralf has come in with a disciplinarian approach which they weren't used to.

I like Ralf a lot but he is the guy we ahould have got when we promoted Murtough, its like we have brought in an Architect to fix a broken beam of an old run down house when he need him to design a complete renovation. From his own words he is not involved in the new manager search, with top four all but gone upstairs is where we need him the most.

Pretty bloody obvious that the board/owners were not going to sanction any new players until a new manager is appointed and can have their input.
I think that makes sense. It may not have been a veto as such but given the scenario with DVB, which was just idiotic, it's justifiable to not add any new players before appointing a new manager.

Please explain to me how Ole was able to deliver 2nd place I the table with arguably an inferior squad, yet Ralf has performed worse than Ole? If it’s the players and only the players, then surely we’d have finished 6th last season, no?

How is heading off to Barbados to enjoy a cricket match after losing 4-1 in a derby and to Atletico setting a positive example and instilling a culture of winning?

You and the rest of the Ralf fan boys need to take the L and take a break from the Caf for a few days. You’re having a ‘mare mate.

Ralf being an awful coach doesn't change the fact Ole was a shit coach as well.

He was never brought to manage and taken us forward. He is an interim manager waiting to get a better manager than that was available during the period Ole got the sack. He is a guy who could and has build the structures of football clubs. That is what he is good at.
Could they have kept Carrick? Probably but it is hindsight. Look at this bunch of player. Sell the lot of them.

The best thing we can say is that the new manager won't have much to live up to.

Status
Not open for further replies.