Ralf Rangnick | ex-interim manager | does anyone rate him?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not really the Gegen pressing monster we were all lead to believe he was going to be is he?

Probably done an okay job for an interim, but think he’s getting carried away with some of his formations and team setups just keep it simple, play 4-3-3 get the season over and done with.

He hasn't been good, but this season was over a long time ago.

The squad has lost all harmony and confidence after the routs we took under Ole and we have a bunch of fragile players.

People absolving Rangnick of any blame when his stats is more or less the same as Ole's worst period at the club. He's been god awful. .:lol: :lol:

What a weird bunch of fecking idiots.

I wonder how many people posting here after a loss (points )actually watched the game?
If you watched the game you saw no sh!ts given, all effort spared from most of the players.
You saw players not good enough for a top 10 team in any of the top 5 leagues.
You saw resignation and complacency.
Wtf is Rashford doing on a football pitch? He's not even bothered to jog let alone run anymore.

This notion that managers should be able to control the players on the pitch is laughable.
Lose games when the players just waft around like spoiled princesses and it's all on the manager.

The manager has some blame, but the sh!tshow we are served every game is not on the manager anymore.
This is festering rot that has spread since the Glazers rewarded terrible performances with extended contracts.
Phil Jones got 4 more years ffs.
If Rashford get's a bumper contract on the back of this season..

You can compare stats all you want but the truth is that no manager could do anything with this lazy bunch.
This team needs to be culled asap.

Not really the Gegen pressing monster we were all lead to believe he was going to be is he?

Probably done an okay job for an interim, but think he’s getting carried away with some of his formations and team setups just keep it simple, play 4-3-3 get the season over and done with.
Not that simple with no true no.9, and now not even a reliable CF.

That central midfield vacancy is a fatal wound too. No tactic can cover for the lack of a fundamentally competent player for that role.

This team is very broken right now.

All it shows is that the club is in complete disarray. Whoever is the next manager will most likely fail under the current conditions.

So many managers since SAF. All that money spent and we went in today with a false 9 because we have no other options.

A 50m right back who can’t get a game, an 80m centre back who has had an appalling season, a whatever million Sancho who has delivered very little. Our strikers are 37 and 35. The front 3 that were so exciting a couple of seasons ago are either stinking up the place in England, Spain or at home.

A midfield that consists of inconsistent playmakers, one of whom is out of the door in a couple of months on a free again :lol: McTominay somehow starts for the club, two left backs who aren’t good enough and a goalkeeper who can’t come off his line.

What a mess. What a poor, poor squad this is and a club that is 5-10 years behind other clubs.

Thanks for this.

That decision is just utterly stupid. If he cannot play, we should have had a youth prospect like McNeil, even for 10 minutes at the end.

I just don't even know with this club anymore.

Thanks for this.

That decision is just utterly stupid. If he cannot play, we should have had a youth prospect like McNeil, even for 10 minutes at the end.

I just don't even know with this club anymore.
I think reading between the line, it seems that Lingard only got really sick during match day. A young player would need to train in the preparation of the game, or it's not even professional coaching/management anymore. Even with basic job without required experience, you still need to provide training.

Pogba has already stated the season was dead, and he won’t be the only one in the club that thinks that way.

Ralf knows the squad ain’t up to much and he knows recruitment has been crap. But I’m not sure I want to see him in the technical box screaming at them.

I’m not blaming another manager. Players are a 5th-6th level team, so they are punching at there correct weight.

I think reading between the line, it seems that Lingard only got really sick during match day. A young player would need to train in the preparation of the game, or it's not even professional coaching/management anymore. Even with basic job without required experience, you still need to provide training.
OK, that makes sense. I'd still kick him out of the team, illness or not, since we're not getting top 4, so might as well give some of these kids a run-out.

Ralf being an awful coach doesn't change the fact Ole was a shit coach as well.
Sure, Ole deserved to be sacked. I’ve said this all along. He was not good enough. It’s also possible that Ralf is worse than Ole…. They can both be bad, or at least, not good enough.

I am struggling to understand lads, are those players so bad or Ole was so bad, how the hell he was second, or even third or fourth with so bad team and without any tactical knowledge, when great tactician and master of gegen pressing can't do anything with this team?

Well, Ralf obviously is not a manager at all, so not sure why anyone had any hopes about results. And players obviously know the same as they are living on the same planet as the rest of us. After the first few games when anyone with any football knowledge could see that Rangnick doesn't know what he is doing, that he is playing formation against our strengths, moving players out of their positions, trying to push Sancho in the midfield in 4222, getting Rashford upfront with Ronaldo, moving Bruno on side. It was ridiculous, I am not sure how many formations he changed in this 20 games or so in charge. Obviously players lost confidence, some don't have any relationship with him, some are waiting for the end of the season to leave, some already left on loan to never come back. They are fecking humans, you can't expect them to fly high when everything around of them is wrong. Of course, they have a big part of the guilt, some probably blame themselves for what happened to Ole, but at the moment I can't see that anything can be done.

Lets hope new manager will bring the attitude and man management to get players going in preseason, as if not next season will be the long one.

The last few weeks under Ole was real bad but at least we had a lot of good moments too. Beat City countless times, PSG a few times, Beat Chelsea like 4 times in just over 12 months, knocked Liverpool out of the cup.

Ralf has only been in job a very short time but there's not really been a single big moment for him. Beating Spurs probably best it's got for him. He's lost to a championship team in the cup at home and we went out in the CL with a whimper.

He's no better than Ole. In fact I don't think he'd ever get this club to finish 3rd or 2nd from what I have seen so far.
Worse than Ole IMHO. But Ole still was not good enough.

I think that most of the Caf just wanted Ralf to be our savior, install a system, improve recruitment, etc. and that’s why so many are reluctant to see him for what he is: a mediocre/subpar manager who really hasn’t won a major trophy in two decades of management.

Worse than Ole IMHO. But Ole still was not good enough.

I think that most of the Caf just wanted Ralf to be our savior, install a system, improve recruitment, etc. and that’s why so many are reluctant to see him for what he is: a mediocre/subpar manager who really hasn’t won a major trophy in two decades of management.

No. Most people here accept that he is not a top class manager and he is not good enough to be the full time manager of Manchester United. Just like Ole was accepted as an interim manager till the end of the season. Then those jokers and the pundits like Neville and Rio jumped on the Ole bandwagon after the defeat of PSG and gave him the permanent position. I think the players refused as he started very well with the press against CP and then the team never played like that.
Even today when the Leicester CF was dropping deep into the space, Maguire never went with him.

Rashford was played to death by Ole. Forced to play with a literal broken back, one arm and one leg, then played continuously out of position for no fecking reason and never dropped or rested, to the point he was completely shot. Rangnick has come in after all this and somehow this is apparently his fault.
You could maybe cut Rangnick some slack on that if he didn’t also continually play Rashford out of position.

Pogba has already stated the season was dead, and he won’t be the only one in the club that thinks that way.

Ralf knows the squad ain’t up to much and he knows recruitment has been crap. But I’m not sure I want to see him in the technical box screaming at them.

I’m not blaming another manager. Players are a 5th-6th level team, so they are punching at there correct weight.

All very well but I still dont get why pogba, lingard, mata, cavani are even in contention to steal minutes from mejbri, shoretire, elanga etc. if the seasons over and these idiots are fecking off, why is RR who is supposedly about long term strategy playing people who are gone in 8 games and are shit and or uninterested anyway?

pogba is the worst of the lot. Literally, feck him. Still talking shit about hes not sure if hes staying or not. You are out of contract in 7 weeks mate, you and your fat cnut agent are just not sure if your lazy injury prone ass can collect these wages anywhere else. I dont even know who pogba thinks he is, strutting round like he is the dogs bollocks. If the likes of scholes, pirlo, lampard, gerrard are a* players hes a b or c list. No one will talk about pogba in 10 years time, best we feck him off now to waste someone elses time and money. Hes a clear cut below the best

It’s not been very good has it, I like the bloke, defended him a lot, but we’ve been so very impressively mediocre and he has to take some of that blame.

Maybe a lot of the blame actually but I don't mind Ralf. The hype that surrounded him when he was appointed wasn't his fault after all. Some thought we were getting some tactical genius that would turn the club around in 6 months, all we really got was an average coach who's best days are behind him.

But even with that considering just how bad we were towards the end of Solskjaer's time it really is something that we are basically just as bad while also being downright tedious as feck to watch now. He's got zero reaction from the players and had virtually no impact on the squad. Quite the achievement in itself.

This guy couldn’t make any long term decisions because he was never going to be the permanent manager. He was never top tier and has been saddled with a job the club did not actually hire him for In the long term.

He’s basically been the die throw while the club try and make the proper appointment and it’s crapped out.

Funny thing is he was linked with Chelsea. If he went to Chelsea (after turning them down) and bosses it. The CAF would be creaming themselves.

Put it simply, the players do not give a feck. We saw the gegenpress against Palace & since then it’s gone to shite.

No. Most people here accept that he is not a top class manager and he is not good enough to be the full time manager of Manchester United. Just like Ole was accepted as an interim manager till the end of the season. Then those jokers and the pundits like Neville and Rio jumped on the Ole bandwagon after the defeat of PSG and gave him the permanent position. I think the players refused as he started very well with the press against CP and then the team never played like that.
Even today when the Leicester CF was dropping deep into the space, Maguire never went with him.
And round and round we go….

Ralf has been our worst manager BY FAR since SAF retired. Even Moyes wasn’t this bad. Absolving him of responsibility by saying that the team isn’t doing what he has told them to do is a huge assumption. Ralf brought in Chris Armas as his right hand who has never coached or played outside the MLS… to tell some of the most decorated players in the world, hell, ever, how to play football. Either Ralf was stupid to bring him in, or naive to bring him in, or both.

For me, the blame for this mess starts with the Glazers and Arnold & Co. for bringing in Ralf and expecting him to be able to manage a squad of primadonna superstars, when they can see him for who he is: a person who is not capable of coaching/managing for one of the biggest clubs in the world.

You could maybe cut Rangnick some slack on that if he didn’t also continually play Rashford out of position.

Yeah that's definitely a blot on Ralf's time at United, he's barely gave Rashford a chance in his natural position. Especially when the Greenwood situation arose it seemed logical to move Sancho across to the right (where he was signed to play) and give Rashford a chance to regain his form.

Yeah that's definitely a blot on Ralf's time at United, he's barely gave Rashford a chance in his natural position. Especially when the Greenwood situation arose it seemed logical to move Sancho across to the right (where he was signed to play) and give Rashford a chance to regain his form.
In his defense, he doesn't have a lot of alternatives - Martial, Greenwood - unavailable, Lingard, mata - not good enough. Rashford has been terrible, but we're not spoiled for choice there.

Seems like we should have stuck with Carrick as interim. If anything, this is all undermining the actually interesting part of the appointment (a consulting gig for someone with the right ideas about how to evolve).

Rangnick has done well. He inherited a team of babies who we as fans know can't be trusted to turn up when the going gets tough. To no one's surprise half of the team has downed tools and sulked for the past 4 months. He was given no support in the transfer window with either arrivals or departures and was clearly undermined by the club. He also has a dressing room full of leaks, again undermining his authority and his ability to do a good job. It wouldn't have mattered who went in there to do that job - the board wrote the season off as soon as Ole left.

In his defense, he doesn't have a lot of alternatives - Martial, Greenwood - unavailable, Lingard, mata - not good enough. Rashford has been terrible, but we're not spoiled for choice there.

Granted yeah but one alternative Ralf did have that he's purposely ignored was playing Rashford (who has 40+ goals and 30+ assists playing from the left over the last 2 seasons) on the left and playing Sancho (who is quite capable of playing on the right and was actually signed from Dortmund to play there) on the right.

That's getting carried away when Sancho was becoming a flop before the past month or so. Choosing to help Sancho playing into form on the left is more pressing matter now, or we had risked having both useless flanks and useless players.

That's getting carried away when Sancho was becoming a flop before the past month or so. Choosing to help Sancho playing into form on the left is more pressing matter now, or we had risked having both useless flanks and useless players.

Sancho was just starting to play well on the right under Carrick, 3 starts in a row and a few goals in those games. Ralf came in and immediately moved him to the left and bar a few weeks he's been average under Ralf so what was really gained. Not much.

I really like his ideas but we all know he’s not high enough calibre for this squad to listen to him. They won’t run through brick walls for him which is precisely what our rivals players do for their manager. Hence why we are so low in the table.

You cannot be successful as an interim with these current conditions so I can’t really say he’s done a bad job. He’s just done the job at hand to carry us through until the end of the season.

Nothing against the guy or even the players I would argue. The Glazer’s have left the club/squad an absolute mess this year. The next actual manager has to clean it up (which I doubt).

I get the feeling despite the fanfare of Ten Hag the next manager will have a very slow start if he even stays in the job long at all.

I just don’t see how he or Poch can be actually win big cups at United in this climate.

Last edited:
I really like his ideas but we all know he’s not high enough calibre for this squad to listen to him. They won’t run through brick walls for him which is precisely what our rivals players do for their manager. Hence why we are so low in the table.

This is exactly the issue at United. We need to back the next manager we hire - any player refuses to fall in line, you ship them out. Hopefully, we hire a modern manager with a long term vision.

Sure, Ole deserved to be sacked. I’ve said this all along. He was not good enough. It’s also possible that Ralf is worse than Ole…. They can both be bad, or at least, not good enough.

Ole is worse because of the fact he spent 400m while Ralf spent nothing. Still, both are awful that's true.

Sancho was just starting to play well on the right under Carrick, 3 starts in a row and a few goals in those games. Ralf came in and immediately moved him to the left and bar a few weeks he's been average under Ralf so what was really gained. Not much.
Sancho played on the left with Rashford on the right vs Arsenal. That is the most impressive outing of Carrick's 3 game in charge.

Recall Bruno goal to made it 1-1 and you should recall where Sancho played. That certainly leave the impression of his better position, especially when the most recently Sancho played more on the left with Dortmund.

Chelsea game despite the goal, he was pretty tame for most of his minutes. The Villarreal game was even worse where there was no creavity from our team until Ronaldo broke the deadlock of a boring, uninspiring game, which forced Villarreal to come out at the end trying to get the result. Only if you only look at his goals, then you would think Sancho was better in Villarreal and Chelsea games in comparison to Arsenal game

His best games worthy of MOTH for us came under Ragnick.

You can't blame RR to pick up where Carrick left. Carrick had been with this team for so long, after having the authority to try thing in these 3 games, ended up with conclusion to play Sancho on the left wing.

Edit: I think Rashford provided an assist from the right to Ronaldo in this Arsenal game, also cement the impression about the best position for our attackers.

Last edited:
Even gog and magog would fail with our players.

I'd not give a flying feck if some club kidnapped most of our squad.

Ralf is right that we need hungry players, but at the same time we are not Leipzig. A great manager needs to get the best out of some big name / experienced / star players as well.
No a great manager doesn't need to do that. Great managers don't waste time in trying to make twats put in a shift, they instead sell the twats and bring someone who's willing to put in a shift.

All this getting out something from players is bollocks.

Can't perform ? Move on. End of.

Imagine saf trying to get the best out of veron for year on year and even awarding him a bumper contract after years of underperformance, yep that never happened because he knew standard had to be maintained and the only way to maintain them was to be ruthless.

If we use him properly after this season then it'll be worth the pain, I'm just nervous we'll end up giving him something pointless to do next season, or even get rid of him.

Not that I think any other manager would have done much better than Ralf given the same circumstances, I never really saw him as a manager, more someone to finally work out what the hell is wrong with the club, and then set us on the right track.

Over? FFS play for 4th and CL. Unbelievable attitude and thats what is wrong with this club.

Rangnick has done well. He inherited a team of babies who we as fans know can't be trusted to turn up when the going gets tough. To no one's surprise half of the team has downed tools and sulked for the past 4 months. He was given no support in the transfer window with either arrivals or departures and was clearly undermined by the club. He also has a dressing room full of leaks, again undermining his authority and his ability to do a good job. It wouldn't have mattered who went in there to do that job - the board wrote the season off as soon as Ole left.

Done well? He's won 1 more game than Ole did this season but he's had an extra 4 games now.

He lost to Middlesbrough at home in the cup and went out of the CL with a whimper to a very ordinary Atletico team who have had a very poor season.

He's not done well at all. This myth needs to stop. He's been a total and utter waste of time. Michael Carrick wouldn't have done any worse than he has.

Bang average as manager, should have kept carrick in charge as he would have at least kept a majority of the squad on side as he was highly respected as a united great and we saw our team at least try for him, can't say the same for ragnick who has fumbled so many relationships with our playing squad and the squad were bemused with his appointment as he was seen as a complete unknown.

His player preferences and set up have been underwhelming, I mean he went with the same attack and midfield against Leicester that got ripped apart by man City, i have no sympathy for the bloke and I am even concerned about him as a consultant as this is the same guy that rates mctominay so high that stated he thinks he should be a future club captain, if that is his eye for talent at a club that should be challenging for the biggest honours then no thanks, that might have worked at average European sides but not at this club in the most competitive league in Europe.

Bang average as manager, should have kept carrick in charge as he would have at least kept a majority of the squad on side as he was highly respected as a united great and we saw our team at least try for him, can't say the same for ragnick who has fumbled so many relationships with our playing squad and the squad were bemused with his appointment as he was seen as a complete unknown.
Read that back to yourself and ask if the problem here is the manager, or the group of players.

His player preferences and set up have been underwhelming, I mean he went with the same attack and midfield against Leicester that got ripped apart by man City, i have no sympathy for the bloke and I am even concerned about him as a consultant as this is the same guy that rates mctominay so high that stated he thinks he should be a future club captain, if that is his eye for talent at a club that should be challenging for the biggest honours then no thanks, that might have worked at average European sides but not at this club in the most competitive league in Europe.
He has been underwhelming in coaching terms. Going to go on a cope and hope he has great backroom skills for the rest of the +2 years . At least he brought some comedy into our lives with the 4222222. Have an odd feeling Carrick would have cleared us into top 4.

He has been underwhelming in coaching terms. Going to go on a cope and hope he has great backroom skills for the rest of the +2 years . At least he brought some comedy into our lives with the 4222222. Have an odd feeling Carrick would have cleared us into top 4.
Carrick could've just as easily had us sat in 7th. It's easy to convince yourself Carrick would've been better because it's impossible to disprove

I can't believe I'm going to say this but maybe we might have been better off bringing Ralf in and putting him upstairs straight away and sticking with Carrick at interim. The results probably wouldn't have been any worse, but then there was always that danger we end up in another Ole situation if things had gone well, which would have been a major risk I think, with how this club seems to run on nostalgia.

That way you'd have got Ralf being able to closely analysis the squad etc. while this team can play a brand of football it can actually do, running off vibes, because its clearly not good enough for anything more than that.

Maybe I'm just tired and sad that I'm witnessing yet another write-off season where we've got games to play and no hope of anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.