Ralf Rangnick | ex-interim manager | does anyone rate him?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've backed him all the way, but if we're just giving him sort wishy washy sort of role after this season, then he was a ridiculous choice as interim manager, it was always about what he did afterwards.

I've backed him all the way, but if we're just giving him sort wishy washy sort of role after this season, then he was a ridiculous choice as interim manager, it was always about what he did afterwards.
Hardly his fault, is it? We're just run by idiots.

I didn't mean it like that, Ralf has done nothing wrong, he never stood a chance even he was a top manager anyway.

I just habour hope that this is rubbish, as there was literallly no point in coming here if we're not going to use him properly now, it would be idiotic even by our standards.

I didn't mean it like that, Ralf has done nothing wrong, he never stood a chance even he was a top manager anyway.

I just habour hope that this is rubbish, as there was literallly no point in coming here if we're not going to use him properly now, it would be idiotic even by our standards.
Yeah, if I was Ralf I'd have dipped by now but his previous gig is kind of gone but maybe he wants to retire and enjoy his life.

It really is a circus. Everyone clamouring for a DOF and we've got a Moyes' old sports scientist, Darren Fletcher as technical director and a manager-consultant more qualified than both.

They don’t want to give the power of decision making away to anyone who isn’t one of their own. The board are a complete farce, it’s nearly all Glazers. Can you imagine the meetings? There is no opposition and nobody to call out brain dead decisions.

None us know what happens behind closed doors. But personally I would like Ralf to have a position where he could actually contribute, and hold some power.

The thought of a new manager coming in ands giving the dressing room yet another clean slate will drive me nuts!

We're run by clowns. Only a protest could make a difference now.

Hiring someone who knows what they're doing but then backtracking because it would mean changing the squad again...

feck the Glazers.

As expected. We're a circus. I

Murtough has too big an ego to allow Rangknick too much influence. United only offered Rangknick the consultancy to sweeten the offer as he wasn't interested in just being an interim for 6 months. He turned down Chelsea for the same reason before they appointed Tuchel. Comedy FC and Rangknick knows it I'm sure

Murtough has too big an ego to allow Rangknick too much influence. United only offered Rangknick the consultancy to sweeten the offer as he wasn't interested in just being an interim for 6 months. He turned down Chelsea for the same reason before they appointed Tuchel. Comedy FC and Rangknick knows it I'm sure
Probably. Just get a little advise here and without any meaty role. Fletch and Murtaugh are the wheel.

What on earth have you based this on

The more you pull the thread, the more you realize the rot starts with the Glazers.

I personally think Ralf is a nice guy, but in no way was he qualified to manage Manchester United, even on an interim basis.

Then we have people on the Caf saying that we shouldn’t buy any players in the January window because we’ll be getting a new manager anyhow and they won’t want the new players.

Xavi walks into the mess that is Barcelona, installs his philosophy in weeks, brings in Aubameyang, Torres and Traore into a club that is 1.4 billion in debt, promptly sends them on an unbeaten run and yesterday runs riot over Real Madrid at the Bernebau…

If Murtagh and Arnold had a pair of balls (and knew what they were doing), they would have sacked Ole after the Liverpool fiasco, hired a real manager, no matter the cost (Conte, Poch, Ten Hag, Gaultier, Zidane, fill in the blank here), strengthened with a few strategic buys in January and pushed for top 4 and a trophy.

The manager, the players, the staff work at the pleasure of the club. If you don’t have clear lines of command from the CEO/chairman to the DoF / football operations and the commercial side, you are going to continue to feck about.

‘Ralf and this bullshit consultancy is a sham. He’s clearly not capable of managing a top 10 club, and now we’re back where we started.

‘What a fecking shitshow.

What on earth have you based this on

His conflict and power struggle with Nicky Butt over their contrasting approaches over the running of the reserves structure. Murtough is quite the political operator. He joined united in 2013 when Moyes signed on and superceded Butt who was on the ascendancy in the ranks after years of hard and noticeable work in the youth setup.

Murtough was instrumental in united overlooking Butt for the technical director position that Fletcher holds after his return to the club. How do you think Fletcher was fast tracked to that position without even paying his dues like Butt did? Butt's work was noticeable and praiseworthy. Butt and Murtough had a real dislike for one another, it came to shouting matches at Carrington. Murtough for his way in the end.

Butt even have an interview to the Athletic after he left the club to clear the air and air out the events that led to his departure and he mentioned a lot. I'm not just going on his views, a lot was mentioned before But eventually left

Cant understand for my life why Moyes lapdog is given such a high position in this club. Did he ass kiss his way to the top or what. The way Butt quitted shows how much rotten the club has gotten inside

Article based on the opinion of an analytics company CEO that helps clubs select the right coaches. It argues that Rangnick was a poor choice of interim if Poch and Ten Hag are our targets long term. Basically that we'll have to completely reboot the style once again.

Gegenpress this gegenpress that, now a new manager and with that a new philosophy. It's almost RR was a PR stunt. These lot aren't serious about the football, they're all collecting a pay cheque.

Article based on the opinion of an analytics company CEO that helps clubs select the right coaches. It argues that Rangnick was a poor choice of interim if Poch and Ten Hag are our targets long term. Basically that we'll have to completely reboot the style once again.

The squad would have needed ripping up anyway since Rangnick didn’t build it….

Gegenpress this gegenpress that, now a new manager and with that a new philosophy. It's almost RR was a PR stunt. These lot aren't serious about the football, they're all collecting a pay cheque.
Rangnick and Ten Hag styles are not that different actually

The squad would have needed ripping up anyway since Rangnick didn’t build it….

The headline is a bit misleading. That's the opinion of the journalist. They actually link an article that offers the solution 'drop Ronaldo, play Dalot and sign Rice' Not sure that would be too popular on here! The opinion I was referring to comes from the CEO of Analytics FC

“You’d think this interim period with Rangnick in charge would include some sort of preparation and foundation-building ready for the next coach to come in, but that’s not likely with the disparity in on-field principles that Pochettino and Ten Hag have in contrast to Rangnick,”

Rangnick and Ten Hag styles are not that different actually

He's more like Pep from what I've seen. I like him but we need to support him with a holistic approach, Ajax are different they've had a philosophy since the 70s. We're always relying on a managerial jackpot.

The headline is a bit misleading. That's the opinion of the journalist. They actually link an article that offers the solution 'drop Ronaldo, play Dalot and sign Rice' Not sure that would be too popular on here! The opinion I was referring to comes from the CEO of Analytics FC

“You’d think this interim period with Rangnick in charge would include some sort of preparation and foundation-building ready for the next coach to come in, but that’s not likely with the disparity in on-field principles that Pochettino and Ten Hag have in contrast to Rangnick,”

Yes I read it. I disagree with it though. We should rip the squad to pieces and build long term. Also I don’t see a huge difference with Ten Hag and Rangnicks on pitch principles, Poch possibly.

But he is closer than Ole and/or Conte to both. That needs to be evaluated out of the available candidates

I would sell Ronaldo so we agree there
I think we should sign a RB personally.
I wouldn't mind Rice, but there must be a more cost effective option given other areas of the squad that need signings.

Sancho and Elanga possibly the only forwards staying next season

Suppose we have to let the dust settle. But our track record is so poor you can't but feel they'll screw this up as well.

Yes I read it. I disagree with it though. We should rip the squad to pieces and build long term. Also I don’t see a huge difference with Ten Hag and Rangnicks on pitch principles, Poch possibly.

But he is closer than Ole and/or Conte to both. That needs to be evaluated out of the available candidates

I find Poch nearer to RR. Not that I want Poch.

There is a big difference. Rangick's style is high pressing 'vertical' football. Get the ball up the pitch as quickly as possible and win the ball high up the pitch. It's pretty far removed from the principles of Ajax where they control possession and build up from the back in passing triangles.

Key line in there is that "performances are impacted for more by quality of player than by the quality of head coach."

For me unless we bring in 4 or 5 starters in the summer I'm expecting more the same, whoever the manager is.

There is a big difference. Rangick's style is high pressing 'vertical' football. Get the ball up the pitch as quickly as possible and win the ball high up the pitch. It's pretty far removed from the principles of Ajax where they control possession and build up from the back in passing triangles.
Thats one way he plays. He has also played in a more controlled style with pressing (which incidentally is what he is implementing at United)

Controlling possession and building from the back is exactly what we have been looking to do under him and everything he has talked about.

We haven’t actually adopted a full press style at all and he didnt always play with one at Hoffenheim either

Ten Hag also presses vertically too by the way.

Basically the point is we are far closer to Ten Hag in style than before he arrived.

Key line in there is that "performances are impacted for more by quality of player than by the quality of head coach."

For me unless we bring in 4 or 5 starters in the summer I'm expecting more the same, whoever the manager is.

He's using that in context of clubs going after managers that don't 'add value' i.e. their reputation has been enhanced by falling into favourable circumstances in terms of sqaud quality. Meanwhile managers that do add value beyond their means are often overlooked by big clubs because they're achieving this at smaller clubs with little chance of winning eye catching honours.

Thats one way he plays. He has also played in a more controlled style with pressing (which incidentally is what he is implementing at United)

Controlling possession and building from the back is exactly what we have been looking to do under him and everything he has talked about.

We haven’t actually adopted a full press style at all and he didnt always play with one at Hoffenheim either

Ten Hag also presses vertically too by the way.

Basically the point is we are far closer to Ten Hag in style than before he arrived.

I suppose there are some similarities between Ten Hag and Rangnick at United when we're playing weaker opposition. The style when we play better opposition is very different.

He's using that in context of clubs going after managers that don't 'add value' i.e. their reputation has been enhanced by falling into favourable circumstances in terms of sqaud quality. Meanwhile managers that do add value beyond their means are often overlooked by big clubs because they're achieving this at smaller clubs with little chance of winning eye catching honours.
I get that but it still applies to us. We have a massively overrated squad but many think it's still just a good coach away from challenging, it's nowhere near. We need a good coach but more importantly better players who fit how he wants to play.

I think he's been severely undermined by some players and has struggled to shake that supply teacher feeling.

He's definitely improved our underlying metrics and maybe has lacked a bit of luck with things. Had a lot to deal with in such a short space of time too and I quite like that he is almost disconnected from the club because he can objectively present his views to the next manager.

I worry we will under-utilise him in the consultancy role though, based on reports coming out. The club will be making the same mistakes again.

Quite a number of fans already knew that our squad has many parallels to the Ajax ones ETH has done well with. It's more of a reversion to type, rather than yet another overhaul IMO. I like what Carrick was doing with the team as interim. I still think he should have stayed on, but he got chased away by the Goldbridge brigade unfortunately.

I think he's been severely undermined by some players and has struggled to shake that supply teacher feeling.

He's definitely improved our underlying metrics and maybe has lacked a bit of luck with things. Had a lot to deal with in such a short space of time too and I quite like that he is almost disconnected from the club because he can objectively present his views to the next manager.

I worry we will under-utilise him in the consultancy role though, based on reports coming out. The club will be making the same mistakes again.

You’ve got this spot on. Ralf’s really being undermined by spoilt players who were all too comfortable while Ole was in charge.

I'm a cynical old cnut, but "consultant" sounds very much to me like a guy who'll ultimately be paid to have his opinions ignored, before being paid off to leave.
Death, taxes and United favouring a sop over actually doing something.

Status
Not open for further replies.