Ralf Rangnick | ex-interim manager | does anyone rate him?

Status
Not open for further replies.
He's working with broken parts. I feel for him actually.

Same. We could have pep or klopp in charge and they wouldn't get these bunch of clowns we have winning.

I like Ralf he's obviously intelligent and knows his stuff he will do well in his role at the end of the season.

Ralf was barely even rated when he got the job. hardly any accolades with a CV less than desirable. One of the least accomplished managers active but he taught Klopp and all the German managers apparently but never got a big role despite being 63

I think RR has done a good job. Yes, it could have been better. In the league we have dropped a disgusting amount of points by failing to put away a huge amount of chances we’ve created. A firing forward line and we could be easily be sat in 3rd right now.
The AM result was poor but they could do that to any team.
Given the season we had under Ole, expecting much more than what we have is pretty optimistic. We know we have many players under performing and I doubt even managerial greats would be doing much better with this team, this season.

Nah but other teams weren't doing that great and we topped our group

Clutching at straws there. We were absolutely abysmal in the CL this season under Ole. Bailed out by Ronaldo twice. Truly terrible.

Still rate him. I think his tactical understanding and knowledge of how clubs should be run is top tier. The main doubt I have about him is having the necessary ‘cojones’ to deal with a set of vastly over inflated egos. I can imagine someone like Simeone is simply more physically suited to this, or Conte. I have no doubt RR knows what he is doing though. Despite ultimately being unsuccessful first 30 minutes against atlietico we looked awesome. Winning the ball high, cutting through the lines at will. Particularly liked this rugby style move where we would continue passing along the edge of the box to find the chink in the armour. Happened a few times.

he’s an interim and I’ve not got.a bad word to say about him considering the shit show how he inherited .

Nice bloke, has a ruthlessness about him. But tactically we are no further on since Ole and results/performances are worse. We were a good counter attacking team with Ole and we should have stuck with that. Not good enough to play “the united way”

Nice bloke, has a ruthlessness about him. But tactically we are no further on since Ole and results/performances are worse. We were a good counter attacking team with Ole and we should have stuck with that. Not good enough to play “the united way”

There is no United way. It’s a myth.

Problem is that RR cannot play his game with Ronaldo. Now I saw a rumor that the board want to terminate his contract at the end of the season mainly because Ronaldo do not like him.
I think RR could have been a great coach for us had he been backed with 2 players in JAN (a CDM and a striker to replace Greenwood). Playing Ronaldo means that you in 9 out of 10 games plays with 10 men.

I still think that anyone who wants Ralf Rangnick to be our next full time head coach is absolutely nut-balls.

Could he have done a better job? maybe. I don't blame him however, even Pep and Klopp would have struggled in the position we were in. I lay the blame entirely on the players. There isn't a single one that deserves to be here.

I honestly think that Ralf took over the worst mess of all our previous managers post 2013. The squad is in shambles, we have a mass exodus this summer and don't even have a decent spine in place.

It's hard to judge his perfornance as a manager because Ole left the club in a state of free-fall. That said I still don't believe he's the manager we need and should move upstairs at the end of the season.

Anyone that's ready to cut ties with Ralf doesn't understand the reason he was brought to the club in the first place. Yes, he's been given the task of hauling into 4th place, but the bigger picture is the work he'll be doing behind the scenes for the next 2 years. Unless he's decided we're unfixable and won't stay on.

Couldnt disagree more. We play better than under Ole but results have not improved. If you believe we were a good counter attacking team, then watch our games again. It worked out only sporadically

I still think that anyone who wants Ralf Rangnick to be our next full time head coach is absolutely nut-balls.

Exactly. He’s done a terrible job considering our league position after the fixture list since Christmas.

Anyone that's ready to cut ties with Ralf doesn't understand the reason he was brought to the club in the first place. Yes, he's been given the task of hauling into 4th place, but the bigger picture is the work he'll be doing behind the scenes for the next 2 years. Unless he's decided we're unfixable and won't stay on.

It’s debatable how much influence he’s actually going to have. He’s only going to be a consultant at the end of the day, and his performance as manager isn’t going to do him any favours when trying to push his agenda with senior execs.

I haven’t actually seen anyone say this to be fair, I’ve seen some people say let him stay on if we can’t get a top target which I don’t necessarily disagree with. He’s got the unenviable task of managing this weird selection of players that Ole assembled and basically transitioning the team, with the slim hope of top 4, into next season where we’re going to be vastly different purely because of the huge names who are outgoing. If we don’t get a top name this summer it also opens the door for Enrique who would be my top pick.

He’s doing ok so far but the loss to atletico was bad and because of his team selection and subs.

He brought us a better shape and balance since Ole left but our team doesn’t have players for the modern football. The board also has restricted him to make signings and certain important decisions in the lineup. Its difficult to manage a team where half of them wants to leave and constant media leaks to fuel controversies.

The media more than ever has consistently criticized United this year because of the hate of ronaldo or our past success causing an unrest in dressing room.

Lets see if he can push us to top 4 somehow.

TBH I thought Carrick would have seen out the season as interim manager with RR installed behind him, whispering in his ear.

However, Carrick decided, either out of some sense of loyalty to Ole, or seeing a chance to escape the mess created... to go immediately. Ralf therefore took the hot seat himself, but he is perhaps more of a teacher than practitioner, he needs to be able to deal with similar intellects to his own and probably doesn't find that many at his level... well not in our first team squad anyway!!

If Ralf can find us a top class manager, who can make a "silk purse...etc". then it will all be worth it, bet the Glazer's are hoping so too!!

factually topped our group though and Ronaldo is our highest paid player so he should. We went out like some lames. Athletico wasn't even good.

It was an easy group and still struggled massively in almost every game in it.

Not my type of cup. Too safe. Like Ole. No top guts no glory. Underdog mentality = counter attack set up. Like Ole.

Not my type of cup. Too safe. Like Ole. No top guts no glory. Underdog mentality = counter attack set up. Like Ole.
Weird thing to claim when apart from maybe Atletico away and Spurs at home have we played it safe and even then it seems to be more on the players inability to hold the ball than our set up. The biggest game you’d imagine we’d play counter attacking in, city away, and he perhaps stupidly set us up to press from the front.

I think he has done ok when you consider how bad we were before he came in. The Greenwood thing was also a huge handicap. Lack of available assistant coaches also not ideal.

Top 4 is unlikely but not dead and buried just yet.

In hindsight though, appointing an interim who's style of play would be more suitable for the squad we have may have been the better option. As in there is not a lot of point in appointing the god father of pressing for only 6 months when it takes at least 6 months and a pre season to implement that type of football. Klopp took over Liverpool in October and finished 7th that season it is worth noting.

The downside is appointing someone else however is that we may not have got Ralph then as a consultant for the next 2 years and the alternative interim may not have done any better in any event.

I like Ralph though if nothing other than for his honesty and also for not buying any short tem fix players in the January transfer window.

Yes.

Exactly. He’s done a terrible job considering our league position after the fixture list since Christmas.
Right.

His managerial record for United:

20 matches
W9 D8 L3 45.0%

That’s the worst record (so far) of any manager, including interims, since Dave Sexton who left the club in 1981. Granted, it’s only 20 matches, and it’s not his squad.

Hopefully we’ll perform better in the next run of matches, but with Leicester, Liverpool, Arsenal and Chelsea still left to play, the fixture list is pretty tough. Arsenal have two games in hand and only have Chelsea and us as fixtures with so called top 6 clubs. They will be at home against us.

Realistically 10 won't be allowed to leave, purely because it'd be a nightmare to adequately replace them as you said (although the likes of Jones and Mata hardly need accounting for..). But as you also said, Lingard, Pogba, Mata, and Cavani are gone, so that's already 4. Ronaldo is a dead cert to leave, surely? He isn't going to want to be part of a complete rebuild in which we aren't challenging for trophies. Pereira is going to be sold, Henderson will be desperate to leave and will push for it, Jones and Bailly are surely off. That's 9 players that I'd say are extremely like to leave or are guaranteed to leave. Martial and Donny probably want to leave, but it won't be sanctioned by virtue of the fact that we need the numbers (although Donny might want to stay to try and prove himself to the new manager - if it's Ten Hag he'll obviously stay).

It's insane and such a mass exodus feels quite unprecedented. I think we'll sign about 4 and bring the likes of Hannibal, Garner, and Diallo into the fold.
Yes, it’s quite a list. 9 to leave. Greenwood gone too. I saw it mentioned somewhere that we have a budget of 50m, not sure that is true and would be a disaster if that was the case. The good news is we will have a lot of wages off the books with Pogba, Ronaldo, Cavani, Mata etc gone. Maybe that will allow us to be a bit more aggressive and bring in 4-5 players.

DDG
NewRB. Varane. NewCB. Shaw
New CDM. Fred
Rashford. Bruno. Sancho
New Striker

4 players, 200m? Depth would be DvB, Martial, Maguire, Lindelof, Telles, Dalot, AWB, McT, Elanga, then the young players, Mejbri, Shoretire, etc.

sigh….

Couldnt disagree more. We play better than under Ole but results have not improved. If you believe we were a good counter attacking team, then watch our games again. It worked out only sporadically
We got more points playing that way which to me suggests it was successful.

If you like Ralf, then trust him and his plan. Which is to have him go upstairs and appoint a dedicated manager. He will help recruitment and general philosophy with the manager.

Surely there can't be many who want Rangnick to stay on as manager?

His time at United so far has been pretty underwhelming, given all the hype surrounding him when he arrived I expected more. We've played 40 games this season, 20 under Solskjaer(Carrick) W9-D4-L7 & 20 games now under Ralf W9-D7-L4, so our form has marginally improved but nothing more. Not against him taking up some sort of advisory role but he definitely shouldn't be the full time manager, he shouldn't even be considered.

I’m sure some people think we were comfortably sat in 4th place when he arrived and now we aren’t, RR has failed. He’s done great under the conditions which he arrived.

Status
Not open for further replies.