Raheem Sterling to...? | joins Arsenal on loan

Status
Not open for further replies.
For some reason, Arteta and Arsenal are after this "horrendous" and "awful" football player. He is good enough for them, but not good enough for 8th placed team last season. Right, because we're stacked with Rashford, Antony and two youngsters where one is having his first PL season. Looking bright in attack, lads. I'll be sure to remind some of you of your posts ;)

Even if he does well at Arsenal, that's not proof that he would have done well here. Arsenal are a club in good form and we're a bit of a shambles. Chances are we'd get the version Sterling who's stunk out the joint at Chelsea for the last couple of seasons.

I'm not massively opposed to signing him as a swap for Sancho (he couldn't possibly be any worse) but I'm not too bothered if he goes to Arsenal instead. I don't think he significantly improves them to be honest.

Im sure if we made him an offer he would turn down Arsenal immeadiatly
I doubt it. He gets to stay in london and play for a team fighting for a title and a manager that he already knows and likes.

there's no real benefit to playing for manchester united unless you're offering him more money.

I doubt it. He gets to stay in london and play for a team fighting for a title and a manager that he already knows and likes.

there's no real benefit to playing for manchester united unless you're offering him more money.

Except for the fact we win trophies and they win nothing

We’re just a much bigger club than Arsenal. It’s really that simple, probably two tiers above and players know and respect that.

Arsenal aren’t reeeeaallly challenging for the title are they? I mean… it’s Arsenal - the perennial runners up.

Secondly you are supposed to have higher standards to hold your own team to than rivals, it’s how football fandom works.

Also they have plenty of players who wouldn’t be good enough to play for United.

Your post is a cheap and pointless dig.
It's more aimed towards the general consensus that we tend to downplay ourselves and pry others up.

At the same time we were seen as "too good" for Sterling, but are we though? We're perennial upper mid-table wannabe title challengers.

I want us to improve like everyone but I'm realistic to where we are at and who we can attract, would Sterling have provided an outlet for us and scored us a few goals, of course he would.

To completely write him off and say we're too good for him just in my opinion isn't right.

To say Arsenal aren't title challengers is a bit rose tinted attitude glasses attitude towards us/Arsenal. Arsenal are definitely title challengers and they would have been title winners the last 2 years in a row if it wasn't for Pep.

If he's good enough as a squad option for them, he's more than good enough for us.

It's more aimed towards the general consensus that we tend to downplay ourselves and pry others up.

At the same time we were seen as "too good" for Sterling, but are we though? We're perennial upper mid-table wannabe title challengers.

I want us to improve like everyone but I'm realistic to where we are at and who we can attract, would Sterling have provided an outlet for us and scored us a few goals, of course he would.

To completely write him off and say we're too good for him just in my opinion isn't right.

To say Arsenal aren't title challengers is a bit rose tinted attitude glasses attitude towards us/Arsenal. Arsenal are definitely title challengers and they would have been title winners the last 2 years in a row if it wasn't for Pep.

If he's good enough as a squad option for them, he's more than good enough for us.

Ah well maybe we do a deal or two in January

We’re just a much bigger club than Arsenal. It’s really that simple, probably two tiers above and players know and respect that.
This drum is still being banged in 2024 after the 10 plus years you'd have? Don't think you've read the room.

I don’t know players care that much these days about prestige and size to be honest. From a financial point of view, not even considering wages, United is where you will rake in the most money from social media etc because of our size but he’s hardly been badly paid at Pool, City and Chelsea…it’s not like it’s Palace or Charlton offering him a contract, it’s the team that’s finished 2nd two years running (and would have won last year were it not for Michael Oliver). We can’t offer anything close total a title shot or CL football this year.

Im sure if we made him an offer he would turn down Arsenal immeadiatly
Raheem sterling, from London, would turn down a title challenge, champions league football, and a move a few miles away, in London, for united, for vibes?

Bigger club we might me, but if you're ambitious it's fair to join arsenal over united at this moment in time.

Raheem sterling, from London, would turn down a title challenge, champions league football, and a move a few miles away, in London, for united, for vibes?

A title challenge is meaningless if you arnt going to win it, players dont turn down clubs because they arnt in the Champions League and he would probably get that here next season anyway.

If he wants to win a trophy he has a better chance of doing that with us than with Arsenal

A title challenge is meaningless if you arnt going to win it, players dont turn down clubs because they arnt in the Champions League and he would probably get that here next season anyway.

If he wants to win a trophy he has a better chance of doing that with us than with Arsenal
Players don't turn down clubs because they aren't in the champions league? Except they do?

Whilst I agree finishing 2nd means nothing, I'd rather be in with a shout to win it then not be in it at all. There's a lot of mental gymnastics going on here, it's quite obvious why a player might fancy arsenal over united at this moment in time.

Players don't turn down clubs because they aren't in the champions league? Except they do?

Its a complete myth, look at the players weve signed already this summer and how many of them turned down clubs in the Champions League or left clubs in the Champions League to join us.

Jurgen Klopp built Liverpool's best squad in a long time signing players like Mane, Salah, and Firmino while not in the Champiins League.

This drum is still being banged in 2024 after the 10 plus years you'd have? Don't think you've read the room.

You mean the last 10 years where we've won more trophies than Arsenal have won in the last 20?

And where we've qualified for the CL more times than Arsenal over the last 10 years.

Do you think two 2nd place finishes makes Arsenal a bigger club than United? :confused: What room have you been reading out of interest?

Its a complete myth, look at the players weve signed already this summer and how many of them turned down clubs in the Champions League or left clubs in the Champions League to join us.

Jurgen Klopp built Liverpool's best squad in a long time signing players like Mane, Salah, and Firmino while not in the Champiins League.
Well yes, no one's saying players haven't done so in the pass, but it's complete lunacy to act as if that's not a key factor in some players decisions. Plenty of players will turn down clubs because they're not in the champions league, that's common sense.

Hope you're happy, guys. He will be a good addition to Arsenal unfortunately. Good enough for a title challengers but apparently not for us.

Come back when it hasn’t been twenty years since you won a league title.

Last edited:
Hope you're happy, guys. He will be a good addition to Arsenal unfortunately. Good enough for a title challengers but apparently not for us.
Chelsea may have pulled our pants if we wanted Sterling on loan only - giving us a rubbish deal on Sancho as a return. I'm assuming

Last edited:

Huh? You've actually heard players make this statement about choosing a club because they would like to play in the Champions League.

So, you're saying a club that almost won the league 2 years straight is less likely to win the league than a club that didn't?

That's disappointing. We needed attacking players so sterling on loan would've been perfect.

That's disappointing. We needed attacking players so sterling on loan would've been perfect.
Mbappe, Vinicius, Haaland would have been perfect.

Sterling is a decent player. But clearly, he doesn't give a shit about loyalty. So no thank you. And I like the fact that we've gone for younger players. That's the way to go.

You mean the last 10 years where we've won more trophies than Arsenal have won in the last 20?

And where we've qualified for the CL more times than Arsenal over the last 10 years.

Do you think two 2nd place finishes makes Arsenal a bigger club than United? :confused: What room have you been reading out of interest?
Last 10 years
We have 4 top finishes you have 5
We have 3 trophies you have 4

I get the rivalry but then there's delusion as if United have wiped the floor with us last 10 years. You haven't.

Us turning down a loan option makes me wonder what terms were being offered. Full coverage of his wages Im guessing.

Mbappe, Vinicius, Haaland would have been perfect.

Sterling is a decent player. But clearly, he doesn't give a shit about loyalty. So no thank you. And I like the fact that we've gone for younger players. That's the way to go.

Didn't know they were available?

Us turning down a loan option makes me wonder what terms were being offered. Full coverage of his wages Im guessing.
I doubt it as there's no chance we will pay him his 300,000. And make him the highest earner. So not sure why that'd be rejected at Utd and not Arsenal.

Didn't know they were available?
Technically, two of them were. Mbappe on free transfer that costs £300m, and with Vini we just had to meet his £1bn release clause.. That would have had us two-thirds of the way to perfect, apparently.

Would he be any worse than Rashford and Antony?

So I'm guessing this thread is shifting from worry we would sign him to envy that Arsenal are signing him? That's usually how it goes.

If he goes to Arsenal and does well they’ll be a lot of bad takes to sift through here.
I still maintain this will be the case. He’ll be Saka’s deputy.

Martinelli/Trossard
Saka/Sterling

Great depth experience and quality.
Who knows?

We have to see where he ends up. But if he goes to Arsenal I think it pushes them closer to a title.
Backing myself to be correct here.

I’m not fussed about having him one way or another.

But many completely writing him off which if he moves to Arsenal should be a clear sign he’s not done yet.

I have no idea where the idea of a high wage long contract has come from but I’ve not seen any source of repute suggest that would be the case.
He’s clearly not done yet. My initial reaction to the links was the same as most, but as soon as I did my homework I did a complete 180 and it looks like I was right.

Sterling would not be taken on by Arsenal unless he had something to offer.
Arsenal will no way pay his wages
Well well well…

Dunno. His wage would be similar though. Play a youngster instead.

Glad we prefer to give our young players a chance than signing another declining mercenary

Beyond Garnacho & Amad, do we have any young attackers that are close to the first team? I fear we’re going to end up seeing a lot of Rashford & Antony sticking up the place all season.

Sterling would have been a smart loan. He’ll get plenty of minutes for arsenal and their attack is miles ahead of ours.

Status
Not open for further replies.