Raheem Sterling to...? | joins Arsenal on loan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Liverpool - Sir Matt Busby
City - Dennis Law
Chelsea - about time we got a good one.
I know you're being facetious but I hate seeing Sir Matt's name getting brought up whenever there is a conversation around club rivalries. Reminds me of when people were using it to justify hiring Brendan Rodgers.

Do believe he'll be good signing as Arteta's system (like Pep's) should suit him. Also can play in all 3 attacking positions. Think it's a nice way for Arsenal to close this window after getting CB, CM and that GK yesterday.

Acceptable signibg for Arsenal. Would be terrible for us. Still need to see him contribute at Arsenal, but the Arteta connection, and them bein closer tl a title push than us makes the difference.

Given Arsenal were interested then I reckon we weren't really ever in the running for him, likely he would prefer staying in London, join up with Arteta again, and be a club doing better than us at the moment.

Can’t help but feel a one year loan would have been nice. But I guess the club didn’t want to stretch to his wages, which is definitely the sensible thing to do. Still, we’re lightweight in wide attacking areas so I hope it doesn’t come back to haunt us.
Wait till you hear that we only cover around half his wages (or less) and there is no loan fee involved :lol:

Given Arsenal were interested then I reckon we weren't really ever in the running for him, likely he would prefer staying in London, join up with Arteta again, and be a club doing better than us at the moment.

Would have taken him on loan to be honest but this point makes sense. We wouldn't have stood much of a chance

Wait till you hear that we only cover around half his wages (or less) and there is no loan fee involved :lol:
Weird flex. When was the last time City (a title rival who you're trying to usurp) loaned in a player? Let alone one who is past his best.

I think this could turn out to be a very good deal for Arsenal. To be honest, by far the biggest reason I was against Sterling coming to United was that he played for Liverpool and City in the past.

I presume he will play on both wings at Arsenal? If he gets anywhere near his City levels, he'll start on the left, and be a quality deputy for Saka on the right, as well. Could rack up really good numbers in that case as well.

pre-Chelsea Sterling, Havertz, and Saka is a much better front three than most people might think at first glance.

I don't really understand the people saying that it's right to pick Arsenal over United. The only folk who could say that are clearly not United supporters, especially in the context of Sterling being a United supporter himself.

This club could be clinging by the fingertips to avoid relegation. I would crawl through broken glass to play for United.

Weird flex. When was the last time City (a title rival who you're trying to usurp) loaned in a player? Let alone one who is past his best.
Given the slow market, I think many Arsenal fans are happy with Sterling as a primary backup to Saka.

Edit: Do i think it's enough to beat City? No.

Liverpool, City, Chelsea, Arsenal. Not sure if any player played for all 4 except Anelka.

I don't really understand the people saying that it's right to pick Arsenal over United. The only folk who could say that are clearly not United supporters, especially in the context of Sterling being a United supporter himself.

This club could be clinging by the fingertips to avoid relegation. I would crawl through broken glass to play for United.
This is only a valid point if you're any good at football and you're not. Don't see anyone saying it's right to pick arsenal over united, just that it's totally understandable and reasonable if you take literally one second to think about it.

People need to take off their rose tinted goggles.

was wondering if chelsea pays half his wages or whether he forfeit for a year.

Given the slow market, I think many Arsenal fans are happy with Sterling as a primary backup to Saka.

Edit: Do i think it's enough to beat City? No.
Fair enough. I haven't seen anything from Sterling in the last 2 years to convince me he'd be a reliable backup on either wing at United, especially on those wages, but I get the need to give Saka the occasional rest.

Arsenal got Sterling on loan for a year with no loan fee and the wages are split. I'm actually rather annoyed now that we didn't go for him. That would be great business for us, given our attacking wide options. Watch him be decent for Arsenal now.

People need to take off their rose tinted goggles.
Why? It’s what the game is about. Its tribal. It’s partisan. Fans believe against all evidence that their team are the best of the best, as they should.
You are a United fan on a United forum. If we can’t dream and talk big here then what’s the point?

Arsenal got Sterling on loan for a year with no loan fee and the wages are split. I'm actually rather annoyed now that we didn't go for him. That would be great business for us, given our attacking wide options. Watch him be decent for Arsenal now.
I think he probably just told us he'd prefer Arsenal so we sensibly left them to it.

If this was 2019 Sterling then I would agree with you but I would rather see Amad get more minutes than give another past-it newcomer an opportunity to potentially fix our problems, especially a loanee.

Would have been good to get him. I maintain he’s better than 90% of our attacking options, but it is what it is

I just think we're too light with our options

Why? It’s what the game is about. Its tribal. It’s partisan. Fans believe against all evidence that their team are the best of the best, as they should.
You are a United fan on a United forum. If we can’t dream and talk big here then what’s the point?
Arsenal suits the way he plays and can mask more of his decline. Arteta also shares a rapport with him. Not only are they in the CL they also have a great chance of winning the league this year.

At the end of the day it's a career decision by a professional footballer in his final playing years. We can talk about our boyhood dreams and passions all we want, sure. Under Fergie we've also signed plenty of such footballers who helped us go on to win titles.

He's going to be playing with Saka, not as his backup.

Saka on the right, Sterling on the left.
Why would he replace Martinelli or Trossard on the left? We also have Jesus who can cover there. He is backup to Saka hence why Reiss Nelson left on loan to Fulham.

On the left side, he will get minutes off the subs bench if not starting on the right. Of course his form could change everything I say. Lets see how he adapts. Low key good signing based on his past.

Didn't know that Arsenal could afford over 300k p/w salary nowadays for their "non-top" players.

Would have been good to get him. I maintain he’s better than 90% of our attacking options, but it is what it is

I just think we're too light with our options

Excuse me being pedantic, but we don't have 10 attacking options, so he can't be better than 90% of them.

He'll slot in with ease at Arsenal, but having him here would be too much pressure to deliver in a team that's not really ready yet and there'd be much more focus on him too. Ideal for him to swap Chelsea for Arsenal, better manager, better football, better team, less money I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.