Press Conference Thread 2013/2014

If it's the same hamstring that troubled him all last season then that could be worrying.

Nothing specific mentioned about Vidic and Fellaini, right? Injuries were given as the reason for them missing last league match I guess.

Carrick looking to be back for New Years Day ( Spurs). Just started working on grass again. Fellaini's back problem(muscle separated from bone) is not improving. Surgery may be needed.

Carrick looking to be back for New Years Day ( Spurs). Just started working on grass again. Fellaini's back problem(muscle separated from bone) is not improving. Surgery may be needed.

You win some, you win some.

David Moyes confirms Fellaini had a wrist operation on Saturday. "We think he will be out for six weeks."

On other injuries, Moyes said: "There are always miracles at Christmas. Let's hope there could be one for RvP and Carrick. You never know."

Club will try to add to the squad in January but Moyes says Jesse Lingard, Nick Powell & Ryan Tunnicliffe can play key roles in the future."We're keeping our eyes on all of the boys who are out on loan. They are the future. They have been through the system."

David Moyes confirms Fellaini had a wrist operation on Saturday. "We think he will be out for six weeks."

On other injuries, Moyes said: "There are always miracles at Christmas. Let's hope there could be one for RvP and Carrick. You never know."

Club will try to add to the squad in January but Moyes says Jesse Lingard, Nick Powell & Ryan Tunnicliffe can play key roles in the future."We're keeping our eyes on all of the boys who are out on loan. They are the future. They have been through the system."

Lovely to hear that.

Lovely to hear that.

Yes. Lingard and Powell are kind of obvious but it is nice to know Tunners is still in contention to play for United. One thing we can be sure with Moyes that youngsters and academy players will get chances to prove themselves.

Cant read'em
David Moyes reveals Wayne Rooney didn't train today but will be assessed tomorrow morning before the Spurs game. "We need to wait and see."

Tottenham's visit to OT comes too soon for Robin van Persie's return. Moyes: "He's not quite ready. Hopefully he's not too far away."

Moyes on the January transfer window: "I'm not sure it's a brilliant month to do business but we'll be looking, like everybody else."

He's basically said that about the January transfer window for the last three months.

‘Robin is working with the medical people and when he is fit and ready he will improve us.

‘We’ve still got a bit to catch up. We’ve a bit to do, so we’ve got to try to hang on to the others and keep winning. We’ve won six in a row now so we’ve got to try to keep our run going and keep progressing and keep as close to them as we can.’

‘I would say that I’d like to do something and I will try to do something,’ he added. ‘We’ll try and we’ll try to get close to doing things if they’re possible. The tough bit is finding the standard of the players we’ve got here.

‘Obviously there are a lot of people out there looking for the top-quality players as well. But there’s a good standard of players here. They’re top quality.’
David Moyes exited his press conference on Tuesday afternoon with a final wish. ‘I hope it’s a good year for you,’ he said.

‘I think we’re well aware of where our mistakes have come,’ said Moyes. ‘I think generally I want to play better. I want to make the team perform more consistently. That’s where I have to get to.’

‘This was always going to be an unpredictable season, with changes,’ Moyes said. ‘I think it’s been a little bit chop-and-change this season, especially for the clubs near the top, so I’ve not changed my opinion. I still think it looks like it’s an interesting, open season.

‘I think the players here have needed a challenge and that challenge is now.

‘It has to be, “Well, hey, we’re not in the position we should be, let’s get back to where we want to be”.

‘I do think they’ve got the bit between their teeth at the moment and I want that to continue week in, week out.’

United defender Patrice Evra, a player Moyes has formed a bond with since the manager arrived at the club in the summer, suggested after the Norwich win on Saturday that some of the squad lacked focus at the start of the season. Interestingly, Moyes didn’t dispute that yesterday and was also happy to talk of the rebuilding job he faced when he arrived.

‘You’re never aware of it (when players lose focus),’ he said. ‘But when you look back you might think to yourself, “Well, this looks better”. So maybe there was just a big change at the start and it was going to take a bit of time from everybody.

‘I think if Sir Alex was still here he would have said there would have needed to be a rebuilding job. Everybody is aware that this is a club who continually evolve. So I do think in the coming months and years there will be a rebuilding.

‘This would be a challenge to any football man, anywhere. I’m a football man, I know what I have to do and I’m going to work towards trying to get it better than what it is, because that’s my job.’

‘We’ll continue to use Rio and Vida,’ he said. ‘But, even for the young players, the challenge is to push the old players and take over. That’s the way it works.’
More Moyes quotes from the press conference. From the DM. There's also something about Rio having nightlong injuries but I can't remember where I read it...

edit: it was on manutd.com

"This club continually evolves," explained the boss. "Sir Alex was changing teams and building new teams and I do think, in the coming months and years, there will be rebuilding. I have no doubt about that. We'll be looking to do that and aim for that in the future.

"I think Sir Alex would have said if he had been here that there needed to be a rebuilding job as there is a continual building job going on all the time. We always look to the Academy, first and foremost, to see if we can bring players through. Who are the next ones possibly coming up to the first team? That's the first thing we look at and, after that, we will go out if we've not got a position covered, and then try to find something out there either better than what we've got or will push what we've got."

When asked if he would be relaxed if he has not added to the squad when this month's transfer window closes, Moyes replied: "I don't know if I'd use that word. I would say I'd liked to do something and tried to do something. We'll try to get close to doing something if possible."

The squad depth has helped cover Rio Ferdinand's absence over the festive period but the experienced defender remains very much part of Moyes' plans.

"He's had a few injuries and little niggles in his calf," explained the manager. "But, overall, Rio is very much part of it. The form of the team and some of the younger players has meant I've not looked to change it around too much.

"Rio and Vida [Nemanja Vidic] have been two of the best centre-backs in this Premier League generation. For the past 10 years, they've been terrific. They are still very much part of it and I will continue using them but there are always going to be other people to come in.

"This club has to have a line of players ready to take their places and push them. The challenge is for the young players to take over. It's part of the job if you play for this club. You always know there is competition for places."

Any press conference today?

Young out with shoulder injury. Not prepared to say when RVP will return. Intends to rotate players for the two matches (Swansea and Sunderland). FA cup is an important competition etc.