Press Conference Thread 2013/2014

I wonder why he has such a dislike for Fabio.

Harry didn't use him much either, maybe due to injury, not too sure on that. It's funny how he was supposed to be the better twin, yet due to injuries Rafael got his chance and has progressed more.

Harry didn't use him much either, maybe due to injury, not too sure on that. It's funny how he was supposed to be the better twin, yet due to injuries Rafael got his chance and has progressed more.
I think the loan spell may have done more harm than good.

I think Fabio's issue stemmed from the fact that he was never a natural left back. It's fine being able to use both feet etc and on pure talent alone, you can get away with playing on your (un)natural side at youth level but in the EPL, you need a lot more to your game as a first (or second) choice left back for a club of our size.

Injuries, plus the form of Evra didn't help his development either.

My theory is that he's gone backwords. We don't see him in training. I'm guessing that at Carrington he's being outperformed by Buttner.
I'm hoping that's the reason. We don't know what goes on in training, however if he's being outperformed by Buttner then something's went seriously wrong.

Did he mention if we were going to try our best to make it hard for Shakhtar?

The Man United twitter account already mentioned Buttner talking about the match tomorrow, so I'm guessing no. Moyes is an idiot if Buttner plays over Fabio.

Buttner wouldn't know if he was playing anyway.

Manchester United manager David Moyes confirms defensive trio Nemanja Vidic, Patrice Evra and Chris Smalling could miss Tuesday's Champions League tie against Shakhtar Donetsk through injury. Kagawa trained today and should be ok.

Moyes also said his side must improve in a number of areas, including passing, creating chances and defending.

:lol:

Other than that, we're fine I suppose.

Anyone see that quote that the defeat to Newcastle "raised his spirits"? Rodgers would have been proud of that shite.

Manchester United manager David Moyes confirms defensive trio Nemanja Vidic, Patrice Evra and Chris Smalling could miss Tuesday's Champions League tie against Shakhtar Donetsk through injury. Kagawa trained today and should be ok.

Moyes also said his side must improve in a number of areas, including passing, creating chances and defending.

I think that covers pretty much everything then!

fecking hell what a nightmare that translator was. They shouldn't be allowed to translate the entire fecking presser. If the Ukrainian journos ask a question, then that's all they are there for. It doesn't happen in any other country. You don't see the Spanish press translating a whole presser just because there's 1 English journo present.

"Robin has picked up a thigh strain and will be out for a month. He took the corner we scored the goal from against Shakhtar and felt his thigh," Moyes said. "It is unfortunate because I think if you look at our record with Wayne Rooney and Robin in the team it is actually very good and we have not had them for quite a period recently. Marouane Fellaini has a bit of a back injury. Michael Carrick is missing and Robin is going to miss four weeks with a thigh strain. That is a big blow to us."

However, he said: "I have no doubt it will get better. I am sure we have plenty of players who can cover it and we don't miss them too much.""I do (feel United have felt Carrick's loss)," said Moyes "We need him for his creativity. We have missed him for lots of other reasons as well."

" It is important. We were looking for a couple of midfield players in the summer. We weren't able to get two. We got one. We needed one who could give us something else if we did get an injury to Michael or one who could have played with him. We have definitely been a little bit short in that area. Hopefully he is not too far away and he will be back in a couple of weeks."

"Robin has picked up a thigh strain and will be out for a month. He took the corner we scored the goal from against Shakhtar and felt his thigh," Moyes said. "It is unfortunate because I think if you look at our record with Wayne Rooney and Robin in the team it is actually very good and we have not had them for quite a period recently. Marouane Fellaini has a bit of a back injury. Michael Carrick is missing and Robin is going to miss four weeks with a thigh strain. That is a big blow to us."

However, he said: "I have no doubt it will get better. I am sure we have plenty of players who can cover it and we don't miss them too much.""I do (feel United have felt Carrick's loss)," said Moyes "We need him for his creativity. We have missed him for lots of other reasons as well."

" It is important. We were looking for a couple of midfield players in the summer. We weren't able to get two. We got one. We needed one who could give us something else if we did get an injury to Michael or one who could have played with him. We have definitely been a little bit short in that area. Hopefully he is not too far away and he will be back in a couple of weeks."

Don't think Van Persie being out will hurt us too much, we are well stocked up front. Time for others to step up.

The midfield point though, he says he wanted one for cover or who could have partnered him (either the defensive type or a box to box I'm guessing here), why did he get Fellaini? He doesn't cover any of those. He's definitely not a box to box, I don't think Moyes sees him as a defensive mid, because he's not very good there and he's not a creative mid. That transfer just baffles me every time I look at it.

Don't think Van Persie being out will hurt us too much, we are well stocked up front. Time for others to step up.

The midfield point though, he says he wanted one for cover or who could have partnered him (either the defensive type or a box to box I'm guessing here), why did he get Fellaini? He doesn't cover any of those. He's definitely not a box to box, I don't think Moyes sees him as a defensive mid, because he's not very good there and he's not a creative mid. That transfer just baffles me every time I look at it.

Maybe he wanted one of "his" guys in the dressing room along with his staff to help the transition...Only logical explanation I can give as he is not a Mancheter United type player

Panic buy

Fellaini will turn out to be a good buy IMO not had the best of starts but he'll come good.

I think he did see him as a defensive mid, he's commented before that that's where he's played and Fellaini has said that's where he wants to play. We know he wanted a creative player in Fabregas. I mean Fellaini isn't the player I wanted us to go for but on paper he and a creative player would be both types that would add. I mean a lot of people have said we need a bit more bite in the middle and physical strength and from his Everton days he suggested that those were qualities he had as well as the ability to damage teams further up the pitch, he's just been so far massively below expectations. He's not a like for like swap for Carrick but he would have on paper anyway give defensive protection in the middle.

On the RVP front I think it's cost us a lot. Last season we could play really poorly but he could get one chance or just something that for most wasn't even a chance and make a goal out of it and it really did let up get by when the rest of the team wasn't functioning.

Fellaini will turn out to be a good buy IMO not had the best of starts but he'll come good.

I think he will become more influential as time goes on. Trouble is, people will always judge him on his transfer fee rather than the evolution of his performances.

Heard in the press conference that he said he would've have accepted just qualifying from our CL group with the teams that were in it... I mean really? It wasn't a hard group as it showed and he needs to get into the mindset of being a United manager where you can't settle for not being the best. It's like saying he'd have taken a draw against Cardiff beforehand. Even if he thinks it he should stop saying it.

I think he will become more influential as time goes on. Trouble is, people will always judge him on his transfer fee rather than the evolution of his performances.

Big outlay but think he'll be here for a long time and the price will become less of an issue!

Heard in the press conference that he said he would've have accepted just qualifying from our CL group with the teams that were in it... I mean really? It wasn't a hard group as it showed and he needs to get into the mindset of being a United manager where you can't settle for not being the best. It's like saying he'd have taken a draw against Cardiff beforehand. Even if he thinks it he should stop saying it.

Fergie thinks it was one of the hardest groups in recent times. But carry on anyway...

I'm not judging him based on what we payed for him. Honestly. I just think he was a silly buy and the money we spent on him could have brought in 2 other players who could offer more.

Rightly so. Why should fans fall for the trick of 'start off incredibly shit and then work your way up to 'competent', which will then be celebrated'?. His fee would not be mentioned if/once he starts performing like a player worthy of such a price tag. I don't hear people constantly mentioning the fact that RVP was £24m, or that Rooney was £27m. I believe they would do so if neither had performed no better than Welbeck, who himself has been 'decent'.

Fellaini should not escape criticism for performing like a £10m player. That would be a disappointment. If he starts controlling and winning games for us regularly, then people will not use his fee against him.

Rightly so. Why should fans fall for the trick of 'start off incredibly shit and then work your way up to 'competent', which will then be celebrated'?. His fee would not be mentioned if/once he starts performing like a player worthy of such a price tag. I don't hear people constantly mentioning the fact that RVP was £24m, or that Rooney was £27m. I believe they would do so if neither had performed no better than Welbeck, who himself has been 'decent'.

Fellaini should not escape criticism for performing like a £10m player. That would be a disappointment. If he starts controlling and winning games for us regularly, then people will not use his fee against him.

That's a rather myopic way of looking at it. Fellaini doesn't have any control over what his selling fee is - its simply a matter of what both clubs decide. The expectations resulting from such a fee are therefore completely subjective. As for his performance, if you're judging him only based on the fee, then that's your problem, not Fellani's. Players don't need any additional pressures on them than what they already have, especially by fans with preconceived fantasies of what players should produce relative to valuations they had no control over in the first place.

That's a rather myopic way of looking at it. Fellaini doesn't have any control over what his selling fee is - its simply a matter of what both clubs decide. The expectations resulting from such a fee are therefore completely subjective. As for his performance, if you're judging him only based on the fee, then that's your problem, not Fellani's. Players don't need any additional pressures on them than what they already have, especially by fans with preconceived fantasies of what players should produce relative to valuations they had no control over in the first place.

It doesn't matter whether he had any influence over the fee or not. Rooney did not influence his. Ronaldo did not influence his to Real. WE (Manchester United), however, had an influence in what we paid for Fellaini. Our price should reflect what he is expected to offer. Whether or not he is considered a waste of money will be assessed by his contribution.

I've heard this theory of yours a few times and I think it is so obviously flawed, and genuinely can't believe people still use it. Would it be okay if we broke our tranfer record to sign Buttner? After all, we had a need for a back-up left-back in the squad, and that's what he gives us. The fee is irrelevant, and had nothing to do with him, he's just here to do his job of back-up left-back after all.

It doesn't matter whether he had any influence over the fee or not. Rooney did not influence his. Ronaldo did not influence his to Real. WE (Manchester United), however, had an influence in what we paid for Fellaini. Our price should reflect what he is expected to offer. Whether or not he is considered a waste of money will be assessed by his contribution.

I've heard this theory of yours a few times and I think it is so obviously flawed, and genuinely can't believe people still use it. Would it be okay if we broke our transfer record to sign Buttner? After all, we had a need for a back-up left-back in the squad, and that's what he gives us. The fee is irrelevant, and had nothing to do with him, he's just here to do his job of back-up left-back after all.

YOU are not Manchester United. You are an exogenous actor observing the interactions of others, nearly all of which you are likely to never meet in real life. You have no control over the fee, nor does Fellaini for that matter. Therefore its completely pointless to fabricate certain thresholds of performance based on it. That won't stop many from doing so because it's a byproduct of spoiled fans with a sense of entitlement, seeking instant gratification in the age of forums, social media, and Championship Manager fanaticism.

At the end of the day it's utterly pointless to harp on about.

YOU are not Manchester United. You are an exogenous actor observing the interactions of others, nearly all of which you are likely to never meet in real life. You have no control over the fee, nor does Fellaini for that matter. Therefore its completely pointless to fabricate certain thresholds of performance based on it. That won't stop many from doing so because it's a byproduct of spoiled fans with a sense of entitlement, seeking instant gratification in the age of forums, social media, and Championship Manager fanaticism.

At the end of the day it's utterly pointless to harp on about.

That's all convenient speil to be honest. Avoidance of addressing any real issues by filing them under the ever-broadening umbrella of 'spoiled fans' (probably computer game playing ones for good measure, or 'actors' in my case, which is a new one I must say).

Are you saying that fans are in no position to assess whether a player is value for money?

That's all convenient speil to be honest. Avoidance of addressing any real issues by filing them under the ever-broadening umbrella of 'spoiled fans' (probably computer game playing ones for good measure, or 'actors' in my case, which is a new one I must say).

Are you saying that fans are in no position to assess whether a player is value for money?

Not at all. We all do it in the transfer forum - some more than others, and that is largely why we created the transfer forum. My point is largely a philosophical observation that discussing transfer fees is purely feel good fanaticism among fans, as nothing we say has any effect on what the club does in the transfer market (spare the kid that held up the Please Buy Rooney sign a decade ago), nor will criticizing the transfer fee have any impact on how Fellaini or any other players perform. Therefore its largely all a bit pointless.