Press Conference Thread 2013/2014

No press conference today?

Boss: Reds in rude health
Manchester United manager David Moyes has declared Robin van Persie, Nemanja Vidic and Rio Ferdinand all fit for Saturday’s trip to Fulham in the Barclays Premier League.
Van Persie was allowed to rest a couple of niggling injuries during Tuesday’s 4-0 win over Norwich City in the Capital One Cup, a triumph that also saw Vidic and Ferdinand successfully return to first team action following their recent spells on the sidelines.
However, speaking during his weekly press conference at the Aon Training Complex, the boss did rule Danny Welbeck out of contention and explained that the Reds striker will not even travel to Craven Cottage as a result of the persistent knee injury that has plagued him of late.
“I think both (Vidic and Ferdinand) are very close to full fitness,” Moyes told reporters. “They showed that in midweek when playing Premier League opposition. They both played for 90 minutes so I can't see any reason why they wouldn't be ready to be selected or involved.
"Van Persie has been fine. He's trained well and worked quite well this week so hopefully he will be okay. Welbeck has had a bit of fluid on his knee. He's trained for a few days this week so he's certainly getting much closer to match fitness but won't travel to Fulham this weekend.”

So far it seems to be about giggs being 40 next week

So far from the main site
- The boss opened by telling the assembled journalists he’s pleased Michael Carrick has signed a new contract, after talks had "been on the go for a few weeks".
- Moyes says he’s always been aware of Carrick’s importance to the club and that it had no influence on his new deal.
- More from Moyes on Carrick: "England have had some top midfielders over the years and Michael fits into that category as well. I think he is recognised by people. I would be surprised if he wasn't part of the England squad that went to the World Cup."
- Moyes revealed captain Nemanja Vidic, who has been suffering from concussion, has had a week off and had time to recover. "Concussion is something you have to be careful with," Moyes added.
- Moyes says it’s a "privilege" to be working with Ryan Giggs, who turns 40 on 29
November. "The best thing is to say he doesn't play like he's 40 and he doesn’t look like he's 40," the boss said, adding that he expects Giggs to receive a warm welcome in Cardiff on Sunday.
- When asked if the international break came at bad time for United, Moyes said: "We came off a couple of good results and sometimes you want the games to come thick and fast. You can't do anything about the international break, whether you win or lose going into it."
- The manager is keen for United to continue building momentum against Cardiff, saying: "We're on a good run of form, we have confidence and we want to keep that going."
- Moyes believes Cardiff boss Malky Mackay has done a "brilliant job" with the Bluebirds and with his previous clubs.
- After the win over Arsenal, Moyes insists he never thought United were out of the title race, though he accepts people are entitled to write what they want. "You shouldn’t believe what you read in the papers!" he quipped. (JT)

Nope nada for some reason. Will probably leak out later.

Vidic will be back listening to Moyes there. And seems like everyone else is fine.

Is it me, or does it sound as if Vidic won't play against Cardiff as he's taken the week off? No training after all. I guess he'll play against Leverkusen.

Malky Mackay on Giggs - "Every day of the week, every week of the year for the last 15 years he has been a top player. He is a top bloke and he is probably my favourite player of the last 15 years."

More like 20 years Malky but well said.

Is it me, or does it sound as if Vidic won't play against Cardiff as he's taken the week off? No training after all. I guess he'll play against Leverkusen.

We've just had a two week break. Vidic had "a week off" (suggesting he trained this week but not last week) as opposed to "the week off" (suggesting he didn't train this week)

They probably wrote the wrong word, I can't find the word at the moment(but I am sure there is one similar spelled as "influence"), they probably wanted to say his new deal was never in question.

That, or that Carrick is the cancer of Manchester United and that he decides when he will sing new contract.

Something about this doesn't make sense, Carrick's importance to the club had no influence on his new deal? :confused:

He's possibly saying that even though Carrick is important and we'd obviously do anything to keep him, he was never a player that was going to want to leave the club, anyway.

Moyes: "We had a great opportunity [to progress] in Sociedad. We want get the job done but we know we’ve got a hard game in Leverkusen."

On RVP: "Robin isn't quite ready yet. It's not long-term, but we're going to keep monitoring him. He had a bit of a problem with his groin." Also confirms Vidic didn't travel. "With the concussion we just want to give it a bit longer"

On Rooney: "His form, his attitude, his temperament has been first class... I want Wayne to have fire in his belly...it's a big part of his game" Even Smalling (alongside Moyes at Press Conference) is being asked about Rooney (words fail me!)

"We have to make sure we're defensively sound & also that we go out there to win the game." "We'll have a game on our hands."

DM confirms Vidic and van Persie didn't travel but Rafael and Kagawa have done. Jones has done light training but unclear whether he's made the trip or not.

Moyes: "We had a great opportunity [to progress] in Sociedad. We want get the job done but we know we’ve got a hard game in Leverkusen."

On RVP: "Robin isn't quite ready yet. It's not long-term, but we're going to keep monitoring him" Also confirms Vidic didn't travel.

On Rooney: "His form, his attitude, his temperament has been first class... I want Wayne to have fire in his belly...it's a big part of his game" Even Smalling (alongside Moyes at Press Conference) is being asked about Rooney (words fail me!)

"We have to make sure we're defensively sound & also that we go out there to win the game." "We'll have a game on our hands."

Thank God they asked him too. I can sleep in peace now.

Balls, thought I read somewhere Vidic had been cleared to play. Hopefully if Rafael was fit enough to travel Smalling can move to centreback.

DM confirms Vidic and van Persie didn't travel but Rafael and Kagawa have done. Jones has done light training but unclear whether he's made the trip or not.
Good news at least that rafael has travelled. Need him on the right to add that attacking threat so our winger isn't stranded half the time.

He's not one for giving information on injured players is he. "They've all got a chance".

Also says he wants to do transfers in January. Asked about Baines he said that if Everton don't want to sell him then there's nothing he can do.

This. He's so important, not only defensively but especially offensively.

I hope he starts.

Also he'll free up Smalling to take Ferdinand's place if Vidic isn't available. Smalling's been doing great work in Rafael's absence, but a lot of it has been CB-esque, so hopefully if he gets shifted back into the middle he can keep that going.

He's not one for giving information on injured players is he. "They've all got a chance".

Also says he wants to do transfers in January. Asked about Baines he said that if Everton don't want to sell him then there's nothing he can do.
He said only if the right player is available.