Press Conference Thread 2013/2014

Well, that sounds like Young is out the door; unfortunately, he'll do a feint and come back inside.

Robin is fit, he trained today and will be involved on Saturday whether he starts or not.

Oh and Moyes said talks are progressing with Januzaj's new contract and when they have news they will announce it.

Journos keep asking the same questions about the size and enormity of the club and if Moyes is getting used to the pressure etc. They ask it every week whether we win or lose. Considering how short the pressers are now you would think they could be more inventive.

Btw he said Cleverley trained today :D - he previously 'rocked' his knee but has had no reaction to it and is getting there.

From manutd.com:
Here are the main points from Moyes' press conference:

Van Persie and Cleverley could feature against WBA: "Robin will be back involved somewhere. He has trained today. Whether we use him, whether we don't he is back fit. Tom has done a bit of training today as well. His injury is not too serious. He sort of rocked his knee in training and we were a bit worried, but he's had no reaction from it. He's done some training today and won't be too far away tomorrow as well."

Moyes on what he has learnt in the last week about life at United: “I have been learning every week since the day I walked in as Manchester United manager. I learned something the first day and I have continued to learn since, I don’t think that is going to change for a long time. I even think the manager who has just left was continually learning in the job. I am relatively new to it so I am still learning everything about it."

Moyes was also asked how discussions are going for a new contract for Adnan Januzaj:"Things are moving along and as soon as we get the news we'll give it to you."

On the job Steve Clarke has done at West Brom: "Steve has done a great job. Last year, they finished eighth in the league and for long periods when I was at Everton, they were the team who were right up with us just behind the teams at the top. Overall, the club is a stable football club that has continued tp progress. They made several signings on deadline day and I am sure he has improved his squad."

David Moyes oversaw first-team training in Manchester this morning and he'll hold his pre-match press conference at Shakhtar's Donbass Arena in Donetsk this evening at 17:15 BST.

Moyes: Results will come

David Moyes insists "the results will come" after back-to-back defeats in the league against Manchester City and West Brom, as attentions now turn to Europe.
The Reds arrived in Ukraine on Tuesday evening ahead of the Champions League clash with Shakhtar Donetsk and Moyes told reporters at the pre-match press conference that he has every faith in his players.
"I have been in situations very similar to this at my old clubs Everton and also at Preston. You get on and you do the right things," he explained.
"I haven't changed what I have done. I will continue to do that. The results will come. I have no doubt about that.
"It is always the thing at Manchester United - everyone is interested in them. It is talking point for everybody throughout the world. That is why it is, for me, the greatest club. It is a great honour to be the manager.
"Even our arrival here in Donetsk has been greeted with a lot of supporters at the airport. It is a great thing.
"We are getting to know them [the players]," he added when asked what he had learnt about his squad since Saturday's defeat to West Brom.
"We are understanding them much more. I am beginning to get a better feel for them all. I know one thing about them. They are really good players, top players they are. That will never change."

Moyes to make van Persie call

David Moyes will leave one of his biggest team-selection decisions to last for Wednesday night's Champions League clash with Shakhtar Donetsk.
The Manchester United manager will make a call on whether Robin van Persie faces the Ukrainian champions from kick-off, having returned to action on Saturday as a substitute in the defeat to West Bromwich Albion.
"Yes, Robin is fit," confirmed Moyes at his pre-match press conference. "But we will make a decision tomorrow whether we start him or not."
The boss went on to explain the qualities that van Persie brings to his United team. "He's as good as anybody I have seen. His movement and his football sense on the pitch are fantastic in terms of the positions he picks up. And he is a great goalscorer, [capable of] scoring all different types of goals."
The other main piece of team news conveyed to the media in Donetsk concerned Rio Ferdinand, who was a notable absentee from the flight out of Manchester on Tuesday afternoon.
"We have left one or two players behind. Anderson, Fabio, Wilf Zaha and Rio Ferdinand are not with us. Rio has a slight groin problem but it's nothing serious."

20:17 Moyes was asked how he will navigate the next few weeks, and whether he'll rely more on his experienced players. "We will be looking for a balance of experience and youth. We will be trying to introduce new young players at the right times but also rely a lot on the great experience many of the players have at Manchester United." (GT)
20:15 The Reds may have lost in the league last time out but David Moyes still has his sights set firmly on the top prize in Europe. "Of course we will try and win the Champions League," he said. "It is part of the job at Manchester United and I will do everything possible to try and make that happen." (GT)
20:13 The manager was also asked what he's learnt about the team over the last few days, particularly in the wake of defeat against West Bromwich Albion at Old Trafford on Saturday. "I know one thing about them," he said. "They are really good players, top players they are. That will never change." (GT)
20:10 During his press conference, David Moyes confirmed Rio Ferdinand, Anderson, Fabio and Wilf Zaha have not travelled to Donetsk. On Rio, the boss said: "I was never bringing Rio anyway but he has a slight groin problem. It's nothing serious."

So did he not have a presser?

He did - they showed parts of it on the Paddy show:

• He said that Rio had been left at home with a slight groin issue, but he hadn't planned on taking Rio anyway. Fabio, Zaha and Anderson didn't travel either.
  • RVP is fit to start, but he hadn't made the decision on whether he would start. Praised his football "common sense" in terms of finding space, and his goal-scoring.
  • Said some things about the size of the club and the reception they received from the supporters at the airport.
  • He's still getting to know the players, but he's getting a better feel for them all. All top players.
  • He clarified that he had said that you need to have a certain amount of world class players to win the Champions League, and of course United would try to make that happen.
That's all they showed.

From today's press Conference(nothing too interesting again, they asked him about the WC 2022 ffs):

Reds wait on Rooney update
Manchester United manager David Moyes was unable to provide an update on Wayne Rooney's fitness ahead of the trip to Sunderland.

"I've not seen Wayne this morning so I couldn't give you an update yet," stated Moyes at Friday's press conference.
"It's an important game we want to win. We'll pick a team that we think can get a result.
"They’re really good players. They know themselves the standards they have set over the years and, together, we’ll work to get it right. I’ve got no doubt about that.
"Anybody who comes into a new job, you learn as you get on and as you go along. I’m doing that as well. I already knew I was coming to a place with really good players but we’ll also have difficult times as well."
The Black Cats may be rooted to the bottom of the Barclays Premier League table but they could prove tricky opposition with Kevin Ball still in caretaker charge.
"I think I went there last time with Everton when Paolo Di Canio had just got the job and I lost in that game," recalled the boss. "It was probably one of the only games I lost at Everton in the last 11 or 12 matches. We didn't lose that many.

Boss: World Cup must move

David Moyes believes FIFA has “no choice” but to move the increasingly controversial 2022 World Cup in Qatar from summer to winter.
There are fears that searing temperatures of more than 40C could risk the health of players and supporters who travel to the Gulf State, which has also faced allegations about its treatment of migrant workers in recent weeks.

FIFA’s executive committee is currently meeting in Zurich to debate a controversial proposal to break from tradition and move the tournament in a big to avoid the extreme heat, a plan that would enforce significant changes upon the Barclays Premier League.
When speaking on Friday, the manager was asked how such an idea would affect the top-flight: “Things would need to be altered in the year before and the year after certainly.
“There would be no choice that it would have to move. I’m sure the Premier League and others are already starting work on that and thinking about it. It does look as though it is going to have to be changed.

“If it was played in January then it could be the equivalent of having a winter break. That would obviously extend things and there would be lots of different add-ons. Maybe you’ll need to get rid of FA Cup replays and limit the League Cup. If it’s a World Cup then it will have to be played. I’m sure the people in power will try and make the right decisions.”

I'm currently Twitter-less as my phone's in for repair. Any indication on what time the presser will be today?

14:00 Here are the key points from David Moyes' pre-match press conference:
On the international break: "Everybody knows where they are in the calendar and sometimes you get the international break on the back of a bad result and sometimes off a good result. We went into it with a good result."
On injuries and squad fitness: "It's always a concern, especially when you have so many players are away like we do. I'll monitor training today one or two are nursing (knocks?) so we'll need to look at it but hopefully they will be okay."
On Wayne Rooney form and influence: "He's at the age in his career where he would be one of the main players and he's certainly a main player for Manchester United. He takes responsibility, scores the goals that are required and he's done that from an young age. The age he is now, he's got that maturity and it shows in how he plays and the condition he is in with the way he is playing for club and country."
Not a long conference i guess.

Also how he thinks de gea will be worlds best and has full faith in him but he wants to use lindegaard. So we'll probably see lindegaard start tomorrow.

Also how he thinks de gea will be worlds best and has full faith in him but he wants to use lindegaard. So we'll probably see lindegaard start tomorrow.

Oh well, 4-0 to Southampton then.

His press conferences are really boring, I swear they asked him about Rooney in every single press conference so far.

Why didn't they ask him about Cleverley's injury ffs?

No, they just talked about him.

:lol:

When asked what Moyes would like to see improve in the home games his answer was frank. "Results. Obvious."

"We gave the ball away too much in the last game and we need to better when we are in possession."

An update on injury news. Welbeck and Cleverley have a chance of playing tomorrow. The latter isn't as bad as first thought.

Adnan Januzaj is now registered and available to play in the Champions League. "He's an exciting young player and he's making exciting progress. He will play a big part in the future of Manchester United."

Moyes is asked whether he has any concerns over any revelations from Sir Alex Ferguson's book. His press conference is to follow and the embargo lifted at 2pm.
"Wayne is completely focussed on his football and has been since the first day of the pre-season."

From the Press Conf via republikofmancunia

Cleverley still recovering from his calf problem. Welbeck has some fluid on his knee so is considered a doubt. RVP has a good chance of featuring against Stoke. "He had a problem with his toes and a little bit with his groin. But he has had a little bit of training as well and he should be ok" according to Moyes. Asked about Rio and Vidic but his answer was on the vague side, "improving", which could mean fit to play or, still not fit to play. Usual Rooney love-in quotes.

Press conferences are so shit these days. They're so short and all the journos want to talk about is Rooney. Asking the same questions about him every week since preseason.

Anyway, disappointed about Cleverley and I hope Moyes and our medical staff let RvP heal fully rather than rushing him back.