Press Conference Thread 2013/2014

Whether it's true that Fellaini prefers to play defensively or not, obviously Moyes has told him that's where he intends to play him. Good news for us either way, no long ball, battering-ram nonsense it seems.

BUDauCXCYAAW4y4.jpg:large

Either the club is very restrictive on what's asked or the journos ask all the same questions fishing for the biggest story. Did Nani's contract not even get a mention?

Whether it's true that Fellaini prefers to play defensively or not, obviously Moyes has told him that's where he intends to play him. Good news for us either way, no long ball, battering-ram nonsense it seems.
He's said before when he was at Everton that he prefers to play DM: Everton's Marouane Fellaini would prefer to play as a defensive midfielder

Moyes was talking about DM being his best position to when he was manager of Everton, so I can see him playing that role for us.
I never said he did:wenger:
Was just checking :lol:

So as I'm understanding it, we basically paid £4m to not sign Leighton Baines, because of how much we wanted to sign Leighton Baines.

I mean yeah, now that's cleared up it doesn't sound stupid at all...

So as I'm understanding it, we basically paid £4m to not sign Leighton Baines, because of how much we wanted to sign Leighton Baines.

I mean yeah, now that's cleared up it doesn't sound stupid at all...
Wonder what Evra was told. "You're only playing because we had to split the deal"

Perhaps every player we sign from now on should come with a £4m "Not including Leighton Baines" tax.

Either the club is very restrictive on what's asked or the journos ask all the same questions fishing for the biggest story. Did Nani's contract not even get a mention?

I'd be surprised if it did. When there were doubts over his future, hardly any/no questions were asked about him.

Baines was our priority this summer then, as seemed the case. Would have been really interesting to see if his performances over the next few years were worth us pursuing him so much and not wanting to use Fellaini's buyout

Moyes must think Evra is shit, or that Baines is freakin' amazing

I cringe at the thought we may have put more effort into signed fecking Baines, than any upper tier midfielder

Maybe I'm missing something, but why did we combine the Fellaini and Baines bids in the first place? It's not like we were going to get a discount for buying in bulk, so why do it? It certainly doesn't make sense to pay 4m more for Fellaini just to keep the combined bids going.

Is it not more likely that Fellaini was a backup option? One we went for when other options proved to be unobtainable? That would be a more logical reason for not meeting the buyout clause, a reason that we obviously wouldn't admit to now that we have the player.

Maybe the Baines 'double deal' is an excuse for trying to sign a top midfielder and then eventually settling on Fellaini. If we actually managed to lose 4m by 'trying' to get Baines (and failing)... I'm lost for words.

Maybe the Baines 'double deal' is an excuse for trying to sign a top midfielder and then eventually settling on Fellaini. If we actually managed to lose 4m by 'trying' to get Baines (and failing)... I'm lost for words.

Yeah in all seriousness that comment by Moyes didn't excactly make us look less like the lunatic transfer clowns we've been aspiring to be all summer.

Retarded shit from Moyes. I know he can't come out and criticize Woodward and whomever else was responsible for our transfer (in)activity, but does he honestly think that he's fooling anyone with this bidding-for-Baines-justifying-letting-Fellaini's-clause-expire bullshit? Why not just buy Fellaini at 23 million (given that we apparently always wanted him,) and then concentrate on putting together an appropriate bid for Baines? As someone mentioned above, why would Everton give us some kind of bulk discount, especially since it involved their two best players? It would be like Chelsea lowballing us for Rooney on the grounds that they were also planning to buy Carrick.

Moyes would've come over much better by simply confessing that this was a learning experience, one that nevertheless yielded a good acquisition in Fellaini, and that the team would continue to monitor targets in the upcoming transfer window.

And of course, the question needs to be asked: why all this bother for Leighton fecking Baines (a guy who Moyes has claimed wasn't pursued to take Evra's spot, but instead to provide backup)? Why not take the 40 million that we apparently budgeted for Baines and Fellaini and throw that at Barca in a real attempt at getting Fabregas? Or why not test the resolve of Dortmund with a 40 million bid for Gundogan? Sure it may well have been turned down, but at least it would've shown real intent.

Sorry, I guess this belongs in the transfer thread.

so we will be in for baines again in january and if not next summer.

talking about moyes obsession with leighton baines.

Moyes not impressing me so far. Thank god he did get the Fellaini deal done at the very least.

Moyes not impressing me so far. Thank god he did get the Fellaini deal done at the very least.

For his sake I agree.

Imagine if he didn't and he found out Kevin from the Internet's opinion.

For his sake I agree.

I'm just glad I don't know Kevin, he wouldn't be impressed with me.

For his sake I agree.

Imagine if he saw webwarrior Plebbo from the Internet defending him top red style... Wowzah.