Press Conference Thread 2013/2014

Well I believe that's been the philosophy around our midfield for around five years now and it's probably time to just buy some players for it rather than holding out for the perfect one.
Yes, I agree. And if you buy young, then what seemed "lower grade" might yet turn out to be very good indeed.

Yes, I agree. And if you buy young, then what seemed "lower grade" might yet turn out to be very good indeed.

If we sign two young, potentially very good central midfielders, I'd be over the moon. It might be a gamble but less of a gamble that starting the season with midfield in its current state.

If we sign two young, potentially very good central midfielders, I'd be over the moon. It might be a gamble but less of a gamble that starting the season with midfield in its current state.

And who would that be? Verrati, who's not gettable neither? Or are you talking of complete unknowns?

I'd like to see McCarthy brought in if the price is right because he's just a United type of signing. Good, young, midfielder with the potential to be a fairly high level player in the Premier League. He's not however the solution for right now - so I'd still be looking for us to sign someone else as well.

Not seen much of McCarthy tbh. In Ireland's game vs Austria he was goodish.

He is a nice player to be fair. Get's stuck in and likes to drop deep and look for the ball. He has the grit and bollocks we have lacked there for awhile. A box to box midfielder in a way, the way we have tried to play Ando at times.

Moyes hinting at no players coming in immanently, although he had hoped to by now. "we have until the 6th of September. but dont forget, we already have a really good squad of players here".

He is a nice player to be fair. Get's stuck in and likes to drop deep and look for the ball. He has the grit and bollocks we have lacked there for awhile. A box to box midfielder in a way, the way we have tried to play Ando at times.

Moyes hinting at no players coming in immanently, although he had hoped to by now. "we have until the 6th of September. but dont forget, we already have a really good squad of players here".

Oh god, that's just a prelude to "I'm happy with what I've got" and "there's no value in the market".

Of course if Carrick maintains his godlike form and holds the midfield on his own for another full season what we've got might just be enough.

Oh god, that's just a prelude to "I'm happy with what I've got" and "there's no value in the market".

Of course if Carrick maintains his godlike form and holds the midfield on his own for another full season what we've got might just be enough.

Well, I think he is saying he is happy to start the season without purchases. He did say he was confident of adding to the squad earlier. We do have a good core squad, he isn't wrong there. We just need stability and reliability in central midfield.

I'd like to see McCarthy brought in if the price is right because he's just a United type of signing. Good, young, midfielder with the potential to be a fairly high level player in the Premier League. He's not however the solution for right now - so I'd still be looking for us to sign someone else as well.

My impression is that we are not looking for young midfielders with potential "to be a fairly high level player"but rather someone with more experience. We do have a couple of promising central midfielders - Pearson and Powell - but we want someone to fill the gap between those two and Carrick.

Technical ability is needed in central midfield. He can get stucked in as much as he wants but at United with the football we play we also need someone who is good on the ball. Martinez is the perfect example of what we need. If McCarthy he's good on the ball as well then why not.

Technical ability is needed in central midfield. He can get stucked in as much as he wants but at United with the football we play we also need someone who is good on the ball. Martinez is the perfect example of what we need. If McCarthy he's good on the ball as well then why not.

McCarthy is very comfortable on the ball so is technically strong. Tidy little player to be fair, he is well rounded. His thread covers it well.

My impression is that we are not looking for young midfielders with potential "to be a fairly high level player"but rather someone with more experience. We do have a couple of promising central midfielders - Pearson and Powell - but we want someone to fill the gap between those two and Carrick.

Absolutely, couldn't agree more.

However, I don't think that means we should pass up the opportunity to bring in those 'potential' type players still. Ideally I'd like us to bring in a midfielder in the mould of Fabregas, or Modric, or maybe even Veratti or Gundogan if we're able to sign someone like that, as well as McCarthy if he's available for a decent price.

I'd rather not have to go for an experienced, yet not that high quality a player unless we have no other option. For example, Cabaye and Fellaini should be last resorts pretty much.

Er, isn't it until the 2nd of September?

That's what I thought. It's only the 2nd as that's the Monday so deals don't have to be rushed through over the weekend.

Why the hell would it be the 6th which is a Friday? Another week to the August transfer window?!

Absolutely, couldn't agree more.

However, I don't think that means we should pass up the opportunity to bring in those 'potential' type players still. Ideally I'd like us to bring in a midfielder in the mould of Fabregas, or Modric, or maybe even Veratti or Gundogan if we're able to sign someone like that, as well as McCarthy if he's available for a decent price.

I'd rather not have to go for an experienced, yet not that high quality a player unless we have no other option. For example, Cabaye and Fellaini should be last resorts pretty much.

Fellaini is 25 year old! He would be a fantastic bu IMO I'd rather have him than Cabaye or McCarthy! Very under rated on this forum. As much as we need a technical player like Fabregas or Modric we are also crying out for a Fellaini type just as much.

Thanks to Basssa (Newbies' Forum):

Here is the actual press conference. It sounds better when looking at the video of him talking. There is real intent in buying players.

Sunny Jim, i would like to point out that tapatalk seems to think your post was made on January 1st 1970...

Yeah nothing on the official site or Twitter. We're flying out to Sweden today afternoon. May be we'll get one tomorrow.

I don't think there is a press conference. The official site usually mention it on their live blog if there is one.

Why are you all expecting one? Pre game? I'd imagine there would be one Friday as usual... rather they spend their time preparing ;)

There is no press conference for the game in Sweden. Doubt their will be 1 for Rios game either as its not an official match really?

There is no press conference for the game in Sweden. Doubt their will be 1 for Rios game either as its not an official match really?

I think we'll probably see one the day of Rio's game. Bit of discussion about that, but it'd be more focused on the Wigan game.