Premier League Matchweek 34 April 16 - 21

Where have I said they were cheating :confused:? Seriously, where have I said that? All I said was their meteoric rise deserves scrutiny.
You implied it, dont even pretend thats what you arent hinting at. Unless i completely misunderstod you and you want sky to focus on how well they have done witb their scouting and all that

Thats such a myth how that game cost van gaal an attacking approach. Playing 3 strikers, 1 winger and an attacking midfielder in midfield and attack is always suicidal. And it was the only game that we played attacking... before that we lost 2-1 to swansea, 1-1 with sunderland, 0-0 with Burnley, beat qpr 4-0 at home (only decent game) and then lost to leicester. Hardly riveting stuff before that loss.

As for rafael... he had chances after that. Just wasnt Van Gaals type of player. That game changed nothing.

I wouldn't have minded if he changed it a little, but he abandoned it soon after that. Later he admimtted that the game "taught him lessons" about English football. Fair to say his thinking changed.

I thought it should have been Mata Rooney RvP (drop Falcao) at the top of the diamond, and Carrick (not Blind) at the base.
AdM and Herrera were spectacular in their roles, Herrera was great offensively and defensively.
For bigger games we could have Herrera at #10, AdM as wide striker, Carrick at the base and Blind and Valencia in the L/RCM positions. (drop Mata and one of Rooney/RvP for Blind and Valencia)
I had it all planned out :lol:

You can't expect a team with a majority of new players to be perfect, I wish he had given them some time. With senior defenders returning (no need to rely on Evans and Blackett), it would have been much better.

LvG after the game publicly blamed Rafael, but he did literally nothing wrong. Apart from getting fouled and then being punished for Vardy's dive. The damage Leicester did happened down our left, with Blackett being terribly exposed.

Okay so because you think they are cheating in some way, you are going to discredit them and dislike them actively based on nothing but your opinion because its hard to believe? Im not saying its impossible, but dont pass judgement on them until anything is proven.

Injury free season? Happens all the team to someone. Liverpool in 13/14, they also ran like crazy and put out the same team every week. Its a lot easier to do when you only play knce a week and can prepare all week for the game. They never have midweek games and that has helped. They went on a great run the last 2 months of last season as well, not like it started this season. Not sure how you can do anyrhing but praise their scouting for finding Kante, who is a tank. There have been other box to box players before who run all day too, do you question them?

You've lost me. Where did I say they were cheating??? Please stop accusing me of that.

Didn't catch the Leicester match, was the refereeing really as bad as it was being made out to be?

Why? Unless they're taking performance enhancing drugs or they've benefited from numerous controversial decisions, there's nothing about Leicester's title chase that deserves scrutiny.

All the 'big teams' deserve scrutiny. United, Liverpool, Arsenal, City, Chelsea... all pathetic to varying degrees.

No idea.:lol:

Some just appear quite bitter at their success, and seem determined to discredit it. Which was the point of my main original criticism.

You implied it, dont even pretend thats what you arent hinting at.

I said their dramatic change in performance deserves scrutiny. That could be from a change in training methods, diet, recovery anything. Never ever once did I say they were cheating. The fact that you have gotten there suggests to me you have some doubts yourself!

We are probably in a once in a lifetime position that if we are not winning the league then at least we don't have to witness one of our rivals or a big / half big aka Spurs / rich team winning it, and some ppl are more concerned about what Vardy did against us last season in a game which made no difference to our final league position?

I don't mind admitting I'm bitter about it. He was my favourite player* in that team since Berba and Nani had left by then. Vardy fouled him to get the ball and then dived to win a penalty within 5 seconds. LvG made terrible public comments about it and didn't really trust him after that.

And the 5-3 also cost LvG his free approach - we started that game with di maria at LCM and Herrera at RCM.

*cue a rant about how proper fans don't look at individual players, and it's these strange modern fans who have favourites. I'd plead very guilty to that too.
Van Gaal simply didnt rate Rafael. Even when he came back from injury he was benched for months for Valencia and Mcnair.

Its too simplistic to assume that just one game changed everything. Van Gaal had the chance to see him play multiple times over the rest of the season. That theory isn't really true either when you consider than Rafael started the next two games after Leicester.

But a Vardy conspiracy makes for a better story. Continue as you were then. Maybe that makes you feel so better.

You've lost me. Where did I say they were cheating??? Please stop accusing me of that.
So do you mean that sky should focus on how well they have done with their scouting, and team management and spirit? If so im not sure how that is a negative against them? The way you said it before largely implied that you thought it was very sketchy the way they went bottom to top and should be investigated or something. Apologies if i misunderstood you but I'm not sure I did

So do you mean that sky should focus on how well they have done with their scouting, and team management and spirit? If so im not sure how that is a negative against them? The way you said it before largely implied that you thought it was very sketchy the way they went bottom to top and should be investigated or something. Apologies if i misunderstood you but I'm not sure I did

You misunderstood. Read the two links I posted above. Thats the kind of scrutiny I'm talking about. I'd love it if Sky actually analysed this rise like the way both of those articles do. Instead they banged on about a fairytale all morning.

We are probably in a once in a lifetime position that if we are not winning the league then at least we don't have to witness one of our rivals or a big / half big aka Spurs / rich team winning it, and some ppl are more concerned about what Vardy did against us last season in a game which made no difference to our final league position?
Naah, it's mostly cuz Vardy is a diving thundercnut.

Van Gaal simply didnt rate Rafael. Even when he came back from injury he was benched for months for Valencia and Mcnair.

Its too simplistic to assume that just one game changed everything. Van Gaal had the chance to see him play multiple times over the rest of the season. That theory isn't really true either when you consider than Rafael started the next two games after Leicester.

But a Vardy conspiracy makes for a better story. Continue as you were then. Maybe that makes you feel so better.

I replied to those points above. He himself pointed to that game as a turning point.

And why has it become a "conspiracy"? I never suggested anything suspicious about it :confused:

Like how have they done it? How have they successfully managed an injury free season, how has their scouting be so strong, how are they running more than any other team in the league. I think those sort of performance related questions are far more interesting than some 'fairytale'. Fairytales are for children.

That would be Tottenham. Leicester are actually 8th for distance covered in the latest article I could find from last month.

I said their dramatic change in performance deserves scrutiny. That could be from a change in training methods, diet, recovery anything. Never ever once did I say they were cheating. The fact that you have gotten there suggests to me you have some doubts yourself!
Tbf I do have doubts about Kante because it's hard to believe someone can run that much but I don't mind giving him the benefit of the doubt anyway! But yeah it would be interesting for Sky to analyze that more, though not in a negative sense, as they have had a brilliant turnaround and its not just luck.

Hmm it seems hard to find the stats, but the one I referenced was this although I didn't realise it only accounts for 2016 so it's a limited sample size. http://www.itv.com/news/2016-03-01/...e-distance-covered-by-team-per-match-in-2016/

Yeah stats are all over the place, I think I read an article about Vardy/Mahrez out-running everyone. This is a good source too, http://www.premierleague.com/en-gb/players/ea-sports-ppi-club-ranking.html.

LCFC are far from 8th!

Tbf I do have doubts about Kante because it's hard to believe someone can run that much but I don't mind giving him the benefit of the doubt anyway! But yeah it would be interesting for Sky to analyze that more, though not in a negative sense, as they have had a brilliant turnaround and its not just luck.

Its not just luck I agree. But I suppose what I am getting at is this idea of a 'fairytale' is a very romantic notion. Seems to me LCFC's rise has been down to much more than romance, its their management (on and off the pitch), their training methods and whole business of sports science. That is what I mean by scrutiny. A team from a lower tier of English football getting to an FA Cup final is a fairytale. Leicester are top of the richest league in the world where clubs financial resources are growing at a ferocious rate year on year. That is a huge part of the story behind the rise of LCFC. But of course Sky are never going to scrutinise that, they prefer to talk to viewers like we are all morons. I feel its very disingenuous to expect intelligent people to swallow this story as being a 'fairytale'.

Arsenal are soothing to watch when on song.

Edit: not for their supporters :D

Yeah stats are all over the place, I think I read an article about Vardy/Mahrez out-running everyone. This is a good source too, http://www.premierleague.com/en-gb/players/ea-sports-ppi-club-ranking.html.

LCFC are far 8th!

That PPI includes many things I believe. After a bit of digging the best I could find on distance covered is this from February but it includes the whole season up to that point.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/fo...-fuelling-their-Premier-League-title-bid.html

The lack of injuries is the craziest thing imo. Although according to injury league Swansea have been the least injury hit team by a long way. Somehow they've still been shit despite that.

That PPI includes many things I believe. After a bit of digging the best I could find on distance covered is this from February but it includes the whole season up to that point.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/fo...-fuelling-their-Premier-League-title-bid.html

The lack of injuries is the craziest thing imo. Although according to injury league Swansea have been the least injury hit team by a long way. Somehow they've still been shit despite that.

I think we can both agree Leicester and Spurs are fitter and running more than any of the other teams in the league. Just goes to show what good old fashioned hard work can achieve.

Its not just luck I agree. But I suppose what I am getting at is this idea of a 'fairytale' is a very romantic notion. Seems to me LCFC's rise has been down to much more than romance, its their management (on and off the pitch), their training methods and whole business of sports science. That is what I mean by scrutiny. A team from a lower tier of English football getting to an FA Cup final is a fairytale. Leicester are top of the richest league in the world where clubs financial resources are growing at a ferocious rate year on year. That is a huge part of the story behind the rise of LCFC. But of course Sky are never going to scrutinise that, they prefer to talk to viewers like we are all morons. I feel its very disingenuous to expect intelligent people to swallow this story as being a 'fairytale'.
They work with Mapei Sports in Italy. I'd really like to know how they've kept them in such good shape tbh, for the simple reason that maybe their methods could be used by other clubs - most notably ours - since our players seem to be made of glass.

I think we can both agree Leicester and Spurs are fitter and running more than any of the other teams in the league. Just goes to show what good old fashioned hard work can achieve.

Leicester are more about organisation than pure running I think, the best evidence is that they sit somewhere around 7-8th in terms of distance covered. But hard work definitely. The mental concentration, organisation and running at the right times is something we could do with.

Presuming you're trying to highlight the supposedly suspicious aspects of Leicester, the first one hardly helps your point considering it reaffirms their settled side, good buys, and manager etc.

What 'supposedly suspicious' aspects of Leicester? And what exactly do you think my point is?

Just to make it crystal clear to you - my point I'd like a more rigorous analysis of LCFC's rise - as opposed to the platitudes that its a 'fairytale'.
The reason I posted both links is because they get into real detail about LCFC - one on the footballing side and one on the business side.
I think they are an interesting read for anyone like me who wants to go deeper than the 'fairytale'. For those of you happy to swallow that yarn, stick with Sky!

They work with Mapei Sports in Italy. I'd really like to know how they've kept them in such good shape tbh, for the simple reason that maybe their methods could be used by other clubs - most notably ours - since our players seem to be made of glass.

Exactly! Hence my interest in 'closer scrutiny' of LCFC.

What 'supposedly suspicious' aspects of Leicester? And what exactly do you think my point is?

Just to make it crystal clear to you - my point I'd like a more rigorous analysis of LCFC's rise - as opposed to the platitudes that its a 'fairytale'.
The reason I posted both links is because they get into real detail about LCFC - one on the footballing side and one on the business side.
I think they are an interesting read for anyone like me who wants to go deeper than the 'fairytale'. For those of you happy to swallow that yarn, stick with Sky!

But it is. There's plenty of tactical analysis out there regarding Leicester, as has been shown. But for advertising and briefly talking about big games, people don't have time to go into that. I'm not really sure what you're actually trying to argue here.

They've not been hampered by other competitions like the players in most other top sides, and have presumably had plenty of luck with injuries as well. I'm not sure there's much in it beyond that.

But it is. There's plenty of tactical analysis out there regarding Leicester, as has been shown. But for advertising and briefly talking about big games, people don't have time to go into that. I'm not really sure what you're actually trying to argue here.

I'm not trying to argue anything. Why does it have to be an argument?

I guess at the core of what I'm saying is I hate Sky!

I'm not trying to argue anything. Why does it have to be an argument?

I guess at the core of what I'm saying is I hate Sky!

Which is fine. I don't see what that has to do with not liking Leicester, though.

Yep we're always, always near the top of the fecking injury table. Norwich, Leicester and especially Swansea are clearly doing something right:

160413.png