Premier League Matchweek 34 April 16 - 21

In the sense that the media (and Sky in particular) are spinning it as a 'fairytale'.
They have to weave some sort of narrative into a team winning the PL.

We've had the Invincibles so this year it's a Disney type fairytale...complete with cheesy songs

In the sense that the media (and Sky in particular) are spinning it as a 'fairytale'.

Because, err...it is. Again, fairytale may not be the best word to use, but a relegation threatened team from one season rising to potentially win the title the next is one of the most incredible stories in recent times.

I think people forget how clear-cut the Premier League was just a few years back. The idea of Moyes' Everton sides in 2008 and 2009 rising just one place from 5th to 4th would've been seen as an incredible story at the time, for example. Compare that to this. A team who were almost dead certs to go down last season now just a matter of games away from being the Premier League champions. It is an incredible story, and anyone who suggests otherwise, well...I don't know what they're trying to argue.

Ah yeah, if they win it they win it, fair enough. I'd just prefer Spurs to win it.
All jokes and 'bitterness' aside (mine in particular:D), Spurs could still do it. If they win tomorrow and Arsenal win today, I can see Leicester getting a tad nervous. Be interesting to see how they cope. Anything can happen in sports after all. Never over till it's over.

Yeah. I can't see Spurs winning the title with the fixtures they have left. Arsenal more realistic to catch up with only having city left to play and city has Madrid away four days before the Arsenal game.
Just realized they are 14 behind. It's over.

Because, err...it is. Again, fairytale may not be the best word to use, but a relegation threatened team from one season rising to potentially win the title the next is one of the most incredible stories in recent times.

I think people forget how clear-cut the Premier League was just a few years back. The idea of Moyes' Everton sides in 2008 and 2009 rising just one place from 5th to 4th would've been seen as an incredible story at the time, for example. Compare that to this. A team who were almost dead certs to go down last season now just a matter of games away from being the Premier League champions. It is an incredible story, and anyone who suggests otherwise, well...I don't know what they're trying to argue.

Incredible is a better word I agree. Its not a all credible that a team in any sport can go from last to first in the space of a year. Incredible.

He's taking the piss out of the earlier post I think. Wouldn't have been specific with time if not.

Unfortunately not :D

Imagine my horror when I first saw Leicester avoid relegation and then Vardy climbs to the top and stays there. Other than City, Liverpool, and maybe Chelsea, it's the team I would want least.

What the feck, I left the house and it was 1-0, get to the in-laws and ask her old man how it finished to hear Leicester scored an injury time equaliser :wenger:

You're that butthurt over a game that happened a year and a half ago because a newly promoted team beat us? Stop being a little girl about it. A player dived and the ref fell for it, what a disaster eh?
Leicester winning the title will be an incredible story and that's why so many want them to win. They're the most exciting team in the league to watch as well and have been by far the best team this season and deserve to be there, it's not by luck. Also how the feck could one want Spurs and their annoying fans to win a title? It's better then Arsenal/City/Liverpool/Chelsea, sure, but not much better.
I'm from the old guard on this website and I agree with your post. If Leicester wins the title it will be the most improbable title in any team sport I have ever seen. The fact that they play a eye catching football is a plus as well. The old adage is still true if you win the league you deserved it. As much as it gutted me when city won a few years ago on the last day they deserved it. I actually look forward to seeing Leicester to have a guard of honor at old trafford in a 2 weeks if they have the title won. It would be a fitting tribute to them and there team play in the toughest league in the world.

I don't mind admitting I'm bitter about it. He was my favourite player* in that team since Berba and Nani had left by then. Vardy fouled him to get the ball and then dived to win a penalty within 5 seconds. LvG made terrible public comments about it and didn't really trust him after that.

And the 5-3 also cost LvG his free approach - we started that game with di maria at LCM and Herrera at RCM.

*cue a rant about how proper fans don't look at individual players, and it's these strange modern fans who have favourites. I'd plead very guilty to that too.
Thats such a myth how that game cost van gaal an attacking approach. Playing 3 strikers, 1 winger and an attacking midfielder in midfield and attack is always suicidal. And it was the only game that we played attacking... before that we lost 2-1 to swansea, 1-1 with sunderland, 0-0 with Burnley, beat qpr 4-0 at home (only decent game) and then lost to leicester. Hardly riveting stuff before that loss.

As for rafael... he had chances after that. Just wasnt Van Gaals type of player. That game changed nothing.

Incredible is a better word I agree. Its not a all credible that a team in any sport can go from last to first in the space of a year. Incredible.

True...which is why I don't get the anti-Leicester sentiment because of the Sky narrative. It'd be a United fan getting pissy and not celebrating our CL win in 2008 because they didn't think Martin Tyler's commentary was emphatic enough. Who cares what Sky think?

I never said it wasn't. What I said in my post was that it's bizarre for people to not understand why people want Leicester to win the league, and why it's an incredible story. Some seem to be denying that, which is incredibly strange.

People do understand why you want Leicester to win the league. If anybody's denying it would be a great success story, they're dumb, but I don't recall seeing many posts doing that.

Not wanting them to and begrudgingly accepting the possibility of it are different matters, applicable to me and a few others by the looks of things.

I hope Leicester win it simply because I dislike them less than all the others.
Spurs had Hoddle and also Glaston would be unbearable.
Leicester are harmless and as they have a Japanese player I sometimes get prem footie over here.

EDIT - They are on TV now as I type. A feature, not a game.

I think their 'incredible story' deserves closer scrutiny than its getting at the moment.
Like what? Did we all imagine going from bottom to top in a year?

Edit: just saw your other post... assuming you think they are cheating in some way to get there and because of that thought you dont want them to win or are discrediting them before anything is proved? Nice.

People do understand why you want Leicester to win the league. If anybody's denying it would be a great success story, they're dumb, but I don't recall seeing many posts doing that.

Not wanting them to and begrudgingly accepting the possibility of it are different matters, applicable to me and a few others by the looks of things.

It was those ones that I was responding to, in all fairness, with people saying their success bizarrely needed closer scrutiny, and needed to be looked into more for some reason.

True...which is why I don't get the anti-Leicester sentiment because of the Sky narrative. It'd be a United fan getting pissy and not celebrating our CL win in 2008 because they didn't think Martin Tyler's commentary was emphatic enough. Who cares what Sky think?

I don't care what Sky think, but given we have to watch the footy on their channel we also have to listen to their crap. No doubt we'll have to listen more crap from Niall Quinn now in co-commentary. Soccer Saturday aside, Sky do my head in.

I'm shocked at all the support for Leicester in here. After the cheating Vardy did against us with the help of Clattenburg last season in that disgusting match. Really surprised. And no I'm not the forgiving type.
Vardy fouled Rafael - 99 times out of 100, the ref will just give the free kick and that'll be the end of it. I don't think we can really be angry at Vardy for fouling one of our players? It's a game of football. The ref fecked up, I'm annoyed at Clattenburg because he didn't do his job and give the free kick. Rafael then barged Vardy over in the penalty area in the same way that Vardy had just did to him, and the ref gave a pen. It was a penalty, the fact the ref somehow didn't give the free kick before it and then gave a pen for the same foul makes it some of the worst refereeing I've ever seen. That doesn't change the fact it was a pen, to hold a grudge and say it was a dive is laughable. He got his body in between Rafael and the goal and Rafael decided to barge into the back of him..

Unfortunately not :D

Imagine my horror when I first saw Leicester avoid relegation and then Vardy climbs to the top and stays there. Other than City, Liverpool, and maybe Chelsea, it's the team I would want least.
Ah well, I thought you were.

Like how have they done it? How have they successfully managed an injury free season, how has their scouting be so strong, how are they running more than any other team in the league. I think those sort of performance related questions are far more interesting than some 'fairytale'. Fairytales are for children.

Didn't watch the game, but just seen the Vardy red card incident, its a clear dive and a good call.

Edit: just saw your other post... assuming you think they are cheating in some way to get there and because of that thought you dont want them to win or are discrediting them before anything is proved? Nice.

Where have I said they were cheating :confused:? Seriously, where have I said that? All I said was their meteoric rise deserves scrutiny.

Like how have they done it? How have they successfully managed an injury free season, how has their scouting be so strong, how are they running more than any other team in the league. I think those sort of performance related questions are far more interesting than some 'fairytale'. Fairytales are for children.
Okay so because you think they are cheating in some way, you are going to discredit them and dislike them actively based on nothing but your opinion because its hard to believe? Im not saying its impossible, but dont pass judgement on them until anything is proven.

Injury free season? Happens all the team to someone. Liverpool in 13/14, they also ran like crazy and put out the same team every week. Its a lot easier to do when you only play knce a week and can prepare all week for the game. They never have midweek games and that has helped. They went on a great run the last 2 months of last season as well, not like it started this season. Not sure how you can do anyrhing but praise their scouting for finding Kante, who is a tank. There have been other box to box players before who run all day too, do you question them?

It was those ones that I was responding to, in all fairness, with people saying their success bizarrely needed closer scrutiny, and needed to be looked into more for some reason.

Why? Unless they're taking performance enhancing drugs or they've benefited from numerous controversial decisions, there's nothing about Leicester's title chase that deserves scrutiny.

All the 'big teams' deserve scrutiny. United, Liverpool, Arsenal, City, Chelsea... all pathetic to varying degrees.

They have three games before Leicester play Swansea. Win them and it's down to 5. Who knows, if they lose to Swansea it can get interesting.
5 with three to go and Arsenal yet to play City is still huge gap.