Pre-Season Friendlies 2024

Only the second game of pre-season but that's 6 goals conceded against Wrexham and Celtic. Hey at least they are stockpiling South American talents for the future so that's a win i guess.

Electric storm just started in Florida game against West Ham is due to start at midnight
Pitch is waterlogged

I don't understand why they don't have roofs for any stadium in Florida, it rains like downpours for weird short times but enough to dump a whole pitch, seems daft

Sterling's diving game is as good as ever at least.

Just hand Celtic The EPL title now.

My takeaway from this game is;

Shambolic defensively.
Fofana hasn't kicked a ball in 12 months and it shows.
Badiashile continues his wretched form from last season.
I'm not convinced by James in this inverted role. He doesn't look himself and you're taking away the very thing that makes him special.
Lavia looked good vs Wrexham but looked very leggy today. Has barely kicked a ball for 12 months and it shows.

You’re in trouble.

I'm not so sure yet. It's preseason vs a team who have been playing matches for nearly a month now and whose season kicks off next weekend. I saw the highlights of United vs Rosenborg and it was a bit like that, without the clinical finishes of Celtic, but the difference in fitness and sharpness was clear. Maresca appears to be experimenting with a couple of things that are completely new to the squad and certain players.

Just saw City are playing Milan.

Scott Carson is on the City bench, still only 38 apparently. Don't think he's played a game of football in about 10 years.

I'm not convinced by James in this inverted role. He doesn't look himself and you're taking away the very thing that makes him special.

Reminded me a bit of Dalot doing the same for United. His strong suit is his athleticism, and bombing up and down the flank like a typical attacking fullback gets a lot more out of him than asking him to stand in the middle of the pitch and do his best impression of Pirlo.

If you have to invert a fullback on one side, surely Cucurella on the left is a much better candidate when he's back.

Scott Carson is on the City bench, still only 38 apparently. Don't think he's played a game of football in about 10 years.
I'm convinced his football career is just for show. Behind the scenes he's the genius accountant that allowed City to cheat the system.

I'm convinced his football career is just for show. Behind the scenes he's the genius accountant that allowed City to cheat the system.

The downside of being a 4th choice keeper.

Actually having to work.

Reminded me a bit of Dalot doing the same for United. His strong suit is his athleticism, and bombing up and down the flank like a typical attacking fullback gets a lot more out of him than asking him to stand in the middle of the pitch and do his best impression of Pirlo.

If you have to invert a fullback on one side, surely Cucurella on the left is a much better candidate when he's back.

Yeah I think Cucurella is tailor made be an inverted full back. I don't think he's particularly good as a standard attacking/overlapping full back, but he's a different player when he inverts. Both James and Gusto are at their best attacking and defending down the flank.

My hope is he is just using these early games to experiment, to see what works and what doesn't.

Christ, he played in goal for us against Juventus in the 2005 CL quarter final.

I don't understand why they don't have roofs for any stadium in Florida, it rains like downpours for weird short times but enough to dump a whole pitch, seems daft
Baseball stadiums do in Florida but for American Football it’s not really an issue as October-January you don’t get a lot of early afternoon storms.

Just hand Celtic The EPL title now.
Sitting with a few mates and that result has got the tunes on :lol:

images

Turns out guardiola needs a fully fit squad to be able to compete. So he’s not a magician after all. ETH gets slated for not winning or performing with half his first team injured.

Isnt Carson something like Ederson his best friend forever and isnt that why he keeps getting new contracts?

If Ederson goes to the Saudi league perhaps Carson will go too?

I don’t think so. Heskey left in 2004 and I think that’s when we signed Carson.
Signed him second half of the season I think. That Juve team was loaded we played.

Exactly, seen part of a Spurs game they had some 16 year old academy kid playing, and Skip as a CB.
That 16 year old academy kid is highly rated to be fair, should be in and around the first team this season if all goes well and already made two appearances at the end of last season.

Losing 3-0 to Coventry at the moment. Good times!

DCL has had one of the worst preseasons I can recall a player having. Sitter after sitter missed. Think his head is well and truly gone.

City and Barca just getting started after a weather delay....

haha...Haaland just scored and it wasn't given as no VAR or goal line technology

Barca play some good football. Although they take the lead, has been an even game so far.

And this Oscar Bobb looks a right menace. Such great feet and crosses with both feet. Him and Doku would be a nightmare to defend.

Two shady Guardiola clubs on the pitch at the same time.

Doesn't matter who the winner is - the loser is always going to be football.

This City side is so crap that Kalvin Phillips is taking free kicks.

Casado and Bernal both look like players for Barcelona. They’re like a midfielder factory.

Vítor Roque has terrible body language on the pitch.