CS L Community Shield

Manchester City 1:1 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Sat, 10 August 2024

That miss from Rashford was shocking..

While I was watching that miss, I got immediate flashbacks of Mainoo being in an identical position in the FA cup final and he scored.. Rashford wasn’t even on target to begin with, let alone score.. that for me is unacceptable considering the wages he’s on and the skill set he’s supposed to showcase
Feck me, it's one game and pre season friendly at that. It's not shocking at all.

I thought we did well and certainly it felt good to watch us keep the ball in phases and actually pass it around.

Thought Bruno was motm. Some or his touches and passes were sublime.

Good performance, much like the Liverpool friendly we were the better team. We played well and would have battered them if we could beat the offside trap (Rashford/Bruno)

Disappointed with the way we defended the Bernardo goal. It was poor, and the keeper needs to be throwing himself at the header, not just watching it sail past him. If he dived/jumped I think he could have tipped it away/onto the post.

Pellistri at RB was an interesting choice too. Concerning there was no Shaw again. We need a LB!!

The fact that we didn't concede 2000 shots on goal today is one of the biggest positives for me.
We definitely need to get a lot more ruthless finishing chances and closing out games.

Would have preferred a win but an encouraging performance I thought. Amad looked very good in my opinion, a bit of end product missing but you can see his game has improved and confidence is up. A good run of games for him and I’m sure we will see a great talent coming to the fore this season. I’m glad we have the defence shored up with the announcement today but I’m still waiting for a decent number 6 to be signed and without that it will be another long season in my honest opinion. I have great optimism for the young talented players in the team and hope Ten Haag can build a strong foundation with a good style of play.

Reactions: 711
It was confirmed that him, Wheatley, and Collyer are all promoted to the first team squad for this season.
By being part of the squad I mean as actually getting minutes, not just training with the squad. Wheatley is part of the squad but he's not actually going to get minutes barring an injury crisis. Amass is a year away from being where Mainoo was last summer IMO.

Feck me, it's one game and pre season friendly at that. It's not shocking at all.

I thought we did well and certainly it felt good to watch us keep the ball in phases and actually pass it around.

Thought Bruno was motm. Some or his touches and passes were sublime.
I agree with you about our general play and Bruno, I was just specifically referring to Rashford and that miss from him..

In my books, a one game and pre-season excuses don’t count for him cuz he’s had a full summer to be in prime form by now and he has the most to prove so he should’ve scored that goal today or atleast got a good save outta Ederson.. and done a lot more than that during the game as well..

My first trip to Wembley today, we were in control of the match for the majority of the game and played very well through the lines, city couldn't handle us for most of the 2nd half, and Bruno and Rashford were ultimately to blame for missing two huge chances.

Bruno should've squared his shot to Rashford who was in a much better position, and Rashford should've scored, whichever foot he used for the big chance that hit the post.

We did enough to win it in 90 minutes, even before Garnacho was decisive with his goal.

Ultimately I think the loss was on Ten Hag, and his decision to put Pellestri and Sancho on to put them in the shop window. Sancho was awful and defensively shocking on the left. That change definitely wouldn't be one he normally makes, with 10 minutes left to see out a 1.0 lead.

Pellestri also let his diminutive adversary B. Silva win a header, which at this level and occasion shouldn't happen. Had he just put on Antony/Zirkzee/Eriksen and shifted players around, we would've saw that game out and won 1.0

That idea clearly backfired, and Sancho and Pellestri probably lowered their value instead of increasing it with their performance, Sancho also ends up choking the penalty too as the 4th taker, when we were so close to winning it.

The good thing, was the first two thirds of the pitch. It felt strange that Zirkzee, who has been signed to be Hojlunds deputy, wasn't put in to deputise for Hojlund, even for 20 mins. I hope that changes immediately.

Garna and Amad were signed for youth setup, for peanuts, most likely without any input from Woodward

However we all know who gave astronomic wages ro Rashford and who signed Sancho on insane fee/wages. Same for Antony
Peanuts :lol:
Amad's fee is rumoured to have the potential to go up to £37m!

Peanuts :lol:
Amad's fee is rumoured to have the potential to go up to £37m!
My net worth has potential of going over 1 billion. Let's talk when it does, not about "potential". He has not even started 6 premiership games, yet, and you are talking about some rumored add-ons. Feels like hell-bent to prove your point

Either way, even 37 is peanuts compared to "potential" of 85 for Antony, who is not half the winger Amad is, AND we signed Garna for £420,000, so there is that

My net worth has potential of going over 1 billion. Let's talk when it does, not about "potential". He has not even started 6 premiership games, yet, and you are talking about some rumored add-ons. Feels like hell-bent to prove your point

Either way, even 37 is peanuts compared to "potential" of 85 for Antony, who is not half the winger Amad is, AND we signed Garna for £420,000, so there is that

That's an utterly daft first line. It's an agreed transfer fee with clauses.

And £37m isn't peanuts. I think you assumed he was a youth product, not signed in from Atalanta.

Garnacho can just about count as a youth teamer, and is more like peanuts yes.

Take. Your. Chances.

Defend. Your. Leads.

Same. Old. Story.
Yep. Encouraging signs, but injuries and lack of clinical edge could be our undoing yet again this year if we don’t sort our shit out.

That's an utterly daft first line. It's an agreed transfer fee with clauses.

And £37m isn't peanuts. I think you assumed he was a youth product, not signed in from Atalanta.

Garnacho can just about count as a youth teamer, and is more like peanuts yes.
I knew how much Amad was signed for, and academy or youth, Amad clearly didn't join senior team, right away, and was signed for potential. Anyway, we are way off the point of the original post

I think Zirkzee for Mount would've won it for us instead of McTominay. But yeah optimistic about the season. The squad depth is good - maybe too much in some attacking positions. Very few square pegs round holes right now and no Pogba needs a DM nonsense we have to put up with for the first XI.

Only concern is depth at DM. If we can pull off Ugarte, I'll be going into the season very confident of top four.
Tbf that's easy to say in hindsight.. If McTominay had have used his left foot and tapped in his chance like he should have then the sub wouldn't even be being questioned. In hindsight, I would have liked to get a look at Zirkzee as well though and you're probably correct in that the outcome could have been different. In reality, McTominay "should" have scored the tap in that was presented to him. I don't think it is fair to put the blame on management/ETH for making the subs that he did as the reason for us losing in the end.

We were the better team (after the first 30 minutes, at least). Some excellent incisive attacking play, but lack of teeth in front of goal cost us (this may be a pattern for the season, unfortunately).
City will be much better when Haaland returns from his leave of absence.

I absolutely love watching Amad play. The way he carries the ball and the way he moves possession makes me excited for what he can do this season.

Some of our attacking play today was genuinely good to watch. It feels like its been a long time since i saw those type of combinations this early in a season, as we usually start so slow!

All in all, some good minutes for the players, and although we should have saw the game out in 90 mins, there is a lot to be encouraged about going into the Fulham game on Friday.

Reactions: Cheimoon
My first trip to Wembley today, we were in control of the match for the majority of the game and played very well through the lines, city couldn't handle us for most of the 2nd half, and Bruno and Rashford were ultimately to blame for missing two huge chances.

Bruno should've squared his shot to Rashford who was in a much better position, and Rashford should've scored, whichever foot he used for the big chance that hit the post.

We did enough to win it in 90 minutes, even before Garnacho was decisive with his goal.

Ultimately I think the loss was on Ten Hag, and his decision to put Pellestri and Sancho on to put them in the shop window. Sancho was awful and defensively shocking on the left. That change definitely wouldn't be one he normally makes, with 10 minutes left to see out a 1.0 lead.

Pellestri also let his diminutive adversary B. Silva win a header, which at this level and occasion shouldn't happen. Had he just put on Antony/Zirkzee/Eriksen and shifted players around, we would've saw that game out and won 1.0

That idea clearly backfired, and Sancho and Pellestri probably lowered their value instead of increasing it with their performance, Sancho also ends up choking the penalty too as the 4th taker, when we were so close to winning it.

The good thing, was the first two thirds of the pitch. It felt strange that Zirkzee, who has been signed to be Hojlunds deputy, wasn't put in to deputise for Hojlund, even for 20 mins. I hope that changes immediately.

Somehow I don't believe putting Pellistri at RB would show his strengths to prospective buyers looking in our shop window.. Maybe that's not what was happening and maybe ETH didn't have an ulterior motive at the expense of us winning the game. It was essentially a pre season game which are to get your squad fit and sharp for the upcoming season. Maybe that was his motive?

People literally go out of their way to find something to be angry at ETH for.. In this case making up a scenario in your head and running with the idea as if there was no other logical explanation. We lost the game because we couldn't finish off our chances that were created by our good/excellent build up play today.

We really need a killer in front of goal. We have a lot of decent -ish goal scorers but lack that killer one touch, one goal man.

Which is true for most of football these days but it's glaringly obvious for United.

I'll take that as a win
We have to babysit Rashford and Sancho vs City 115's charges

Certainly not going to complain about giving up a goal when Pellistri is the back covering. Thought that was a strange move by EtH but I'm sure it was a depth thing.

Garnacho's goal was well taken. The finishing otherwise was horrid. So many chances to put this game away. Rashford really needs to do some 1 on 1 sessions with Ruud. There's something missing from his game right now. He's getting into the right positions to score but just missing that bit of quality in the end to put it away. It's like he's second guessing himself as he's winding up...and then always making the wrong choice.

Regarding Mason Mount...In the immortal words from one of the Bob's in the classic "Office Space", "What is it that you'd say you do here?" I mean seriously...what does he do? He's never dropping to get the ball out of the back. He's not making runs through the lines. He completely disappears from games for large stretches of time. I honestly forgot he was on the field for much of today. What the hell does he do?

Reactions: Cheimoon
Not to fussed about this result. We matched them for shots and had more on target. If Rashford knew where the net was we could have won easy as he missed 2 easy chances

Played some of the sweetest and most intricate attacking football in a long time. Amad, Bruno and Casimero interplay was a joy to watch.

Would have been good to see Pellistri step up to take the pen instead of Evans after his defensive error. He is 22 and has twenty something caps for Uruguay. Would have shown he has the belief necessary to be a Utd player.
Defensive error?

A superb performance me. We started out unsure, but we found a grip and created chances. By my count we created 5 great chances, from which we really should have scored three as one can’t expect us to score on every great chance.

On the negative side, Rashford continues to be an enigma. He’s physically fit, but he appears to be more concerned with maintaining athleticism than developing his skills.

Overall, borderline outstanding performance.

Are we really kicking off the embarrassing Rashford abuse after what was essentially a pre season game?

Some of you honestly come across like you're about 8 years old.

He could get 30+ goals this season and some of you would still slag him off for no other reason than to protect your own idiotic hate filled opinions.

Defensive error?
If you see their equaliser, he is completely unaware Bernardo is behind him unmarked. He switched off and didn’t have time to react.

Overall I’m not too fussed with the result. The performance and getting through the game unscathed without any further injuries was the big positives for me.

If you see their equaliser, he is completely unaware Bernardo is behind him unmarked. He switched off and didn’t have time to react.

Overall I’m not too fussed with the result. The performance and getting through the game unscathed without any further injuries was the big positives for me.
Perhaps he did switch off but if you look at how he contorts his body to try and win the header, I thought it was a commendable effort for a winger

Somehow I don't believe putting Pellistri at RB would show his strengths to prospective buyers looking in our shop window.. Maybe that's not what was happening and maybe ETH didn't have an ulterior motive at the expense of us winning the game. It was essentially a pre season game which are to get your squad fit and sharp for the upcoming season. Maybe that was his motive?

People literally go out of their way to find something to be angry at ETH for.. In this case making up a scenario in your head and running with the idea as if there was no other logical explanation. We lost the game because we couldn't finish off our chances that were created by our good/excellent build up play today.
We also "lost" (I mean, we didn't technically lose the game) because we put Pellistri at RB to be fair.

I think it was an experiment/make weight given our lack of cover there and certain players not being ready to play 90 minutes. I would quite like to never see it again.

I don’t think that’s fair. There were many missing for us as well.

here is the list: Hoijland, Zirkzee, Garnacho (from starting XI), Antony (but that one is as good as not being there because he is a starter for us that makes us worse), Shaw and now De Ligt, Yoro and Mazraoui.

So that’s 8 players of which at least 4 would be starting every week (and the other 4 would be their back ups)
Yeah lets count players we know aren't better than the ones played and add 4 players in there that haven't made a professional appearance for us two not even having signed. Wonder why you didn't just added Varane as well...Just for the sake of it.

But each to their own.

Many posters here think Casemiro legs are gone and should be sold. He is one of our best player today. With proper tactic this season he can be massive for us.
I agree. I think he was poor last season because we burned him out by over relying on him the season before, and Brazil have done us a huge favour by giving him the summer off. I think (hope!) we will see beast mode Case this season!

We really need a killer in front of goal. We have a lot of decent -ish goal scorers but lack that killer one touch, one goal man.

Which is true for most of football these days but it's glaringly obvious for United.
If hojland gets chances he will score. He’s clearly a top finisher.

Pretty good performance.

If this was a 'normal game', Pellistri doesn't come on at RB and we probably win this game.

Perhaps he did switch off but if you look at how he contorts his body to try and win the header, I thought it was a commendable effort for a winger

Obviously not a right back and I have no problems with him being thrown on to rest players who aren't 100%. I actually thought it was strange for them to take off Doku when he was going to be marked by a non-right back.

Watching the goal again he's not marking him, but Onana comes way out of his goal and is badly positioned, not that he'd have saved it.

The goal of a pre-season match: Perform well in general play according to pre-planned tactics. We had four or five really big chances, and several other nice opportunities. City had very, very little. Very good work-out.

How is Rashford still playing for this club?
The person (persons) who is responsible should be sacked. I don’t want him anywhere close to the club, he is sh!t and so is his PR team

We cut through the City team today. We made it look easy at times.

You have to factor in that City were missing many key players, but the midfield especially in the 2nd half had some amazing patterns of play. They seemed definitely improved from the games I saw live last year. Much quicker from back to front or out wide.

Promising signs for sure. But we need to get the goals scored. Hopefully it's Amad and Garnacho starting the Fulham game with either Zirkzee or Bruno playing as a false 9.

Rashford couldn't finish his own jack off.....what has happened to him and his finishing confidence???

Player Ratings

5.8 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 182 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Man City win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 22% Man City 1:2 Man Utd
  • 18% Man City 2:1 Man Utd