CS L Community Shield

Manchester City 1:1 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Sat, 10 August 2024

Any sort of defender playing RB at the end there and we win this, massively unlucky and took a good account of ourselves! Cautiously excited for the season ahead.

We were the much better side and should have scored 3-4 goals if our players knew how to be clinical in the final 3rd.

Overall very pleased with that display but should have had the game won long before City equalised against the run of play.

should have won the game, however there's something to build on, 2 new signings are on their way as well.

A bit more optimistic about the season now than I was before today

Many posters here think Casemiro legs are gone and should be sold. He is one of our best player today. With proper tactic this season he can be massive for us.

Bruno was very good in this new position. Garnacho as sharp as always.

Rashford was terrible and need to find form soon.

FFS standing in a queue at the airport and lost the plot following the end the match.

Decent performance overall and could have won it.

But bottom line another trophy for City , although a fairly meaningless one.

Another would of , could of , should of day for us.

This will be forgotten about by Tuesday , Getting 3 pts on Friday is more important. Encouraging signs ahead of that one but we still have back it up now.

Should have taken our chances, but really promising signs, good performance

No doubt winning would've been a nice reward for the players to validate their effort and performance today but it would've only been important if we built on if for a strong start to the season so now we have to show that the performance was the important thing and make sure we are ready for the real thing next week.

Glad some players got minutes under their belt as some of them definitely looked like they needed it, whilst players like Amad showed a continuation of that pre-season sharpness and will hopefully make an impact for us this year. The squad still needs some work but the overhaul we might've wanted doesn't look too likely so now it's down to ETH and his team to make the most of what we've got.

Rashford looks to be continuing where he left off last season
Amad was our most dangerous player
Bruno is a goddamn machine
I still don't understand what Mount does
Collyer showed signs of promise
Pellestri is not a right back.
Evans and Sancho will forever let us down.

But who do you leave out to get those 2 "proper" mids in?
Wonderkid Mainoo surely has to play, as does Bruno.
Not necessarily as starters but certainly for quality in depth in that area of the pitch. The current midfield is reliant on a 19 year old kid for coherence. If Mainoo gets injured, we are screwed in midfield. So we need at least two other players in there who are not scared of the ball. If it requires us to get rid of some midfielders then that's what we need to do because as it currently stands, our midfield isn't good enough for us to get top 4 or contend for anything.

Rashford,for his own career's sake, needs to move on. It's quite apparent that for whatever reason he can no longer command a starting place at Utd, and with Garnacho on left and Anad on right, he is not having much beyond a bit part involvement.

Can see us dropping quite a few points first 6/7 games with no striker and having to score 2-3 goals to win games. But what's new, we are perennial awful starters due to injuries, lack of fitness, form etc etc.

A win would have been nice, but a loss is not the end of the world.

Casemiro, Amad, Bruno, and Garnacho were the stand outs for me.

This just confirms we need an out and out striker not forwards or false 9s. We will struggle to score enough goals otherwise

Loads of missed chances. I think our forward play and overall structure was much improved.

For once, I feel like we will actually improve this season as a team.

One of Maguire, Lindelof must go. I want Yoro to feel like he can grow with us and know that the path is not blocked by 2 CBs.

Mazroui is such a welcome addition. A big upgrade at RB back up and very good cover for LB too, as a stand in.

We still need that midfielder who can slot in when Casemiro is off or when we need to actually have 2 defensive midfielders.

Sneaky feeling Zirkzee will be a crucial player for us as someone who will link Bruno to the wingers.

We have far more options as a team now. I see patterns of play emerging when in possession.

Let’s go. A slow, but effective improvement is in sight.

With the players to come back in and playing with no out and out striker, that wasn't bad at all. Thought we looked a bit more solid through the middle. Hate seeing a lad stamping down the peno spot, always smacks of nerves/ discomfort. All in all we were the better team in open play. With De Ligt done as well, there is a small glimmer of hope there.

Positives:
Some very good passes near City's goal after rusty start
Garnacho and Amad looked lively, no more RW problem
Casemiro still has the legs
Bruno created some good chances

Negatives:
Rashford should have scored one goal atleast, should have given him confidence for the season.
Sancho and McT needs to be sold at any cost
Onana needs to cut down the shitousery, absolute clown

Gutted about the result but happy with the performance. Feeling positive about the start of the season, esp with the double signings of today. Rashford and sancho should be no where near the starting XI

Add Zirkzee, MDL, Mazraoui and a midfielder to that and I think we can threaten Arsenal and City. Won't win but we can push them.

Much better than I feared, Sancho and Evans never looked confident and Onana never seems to go the right way more than once in a shoot out. Same old problems, however: not taking good chances and then failing to hold on to a lead for more than 10 minutes.

Saw enough to think we will beat Fulham on Friday... maybe in much the same way we did Wolves last season. Need to find a goalscorer and should get Rabiot in, who won't affect FFP.

Garno look very sharp, some good moments from Bruno and Licha looks great, on top of defending, he marshalls the back four pretty well. Collyer put in a couple of good touches but Sancho and Rashford added very little.

Mount's a waste of fresh air, Maguire needs to be sold and I wish we had a solid keeper...

Should have been out of sight but impressed with the performance today and the build up play amongst the team. Casemiro was excellent, hopefully Saudi come for him now they can see he’s not finished. Sancho needs binned, waste of a spot on the bench

Many positives to take from this game. Rashford might have missed a few chances, but he seems to be back in terms of mentality to fight and tackle back.

Most important is there are no new injuries. Plus our performance was quite good!

Community Sheild but still a pain in the arse. Stop conceding in the last minute all the time. Was the first thing I thought when we scored. Even a 90+6 goal last year we still managed to draw. Ten Hag with the stupid set up and useless subs when we’re winning in the last minute.

Gutted about the result but happy with the performance. Feeling positive about the start of the season, esp with the double signings of today. Rashford and sancho should be no where near the starting XI
I keep hearing about this double signing, but so no actual confirmation of it. Where do you see it?

FFS City shouldn’t have been anywhere near that game, we created far more chances, but yet again falling asleep when it matters, even I could see where the threat was coming for their goal. Hopefully the new arrivals will give them a kick up the arse

Never mind. Plenty of positives, and things definitely look promising :) Definitely looking forward to the season starting.

We absolutely need a fixed defence. Jonny Evans is 5th choice, Pellestri was playing RB and failed to cover their goal. This isn’t the team we want to put out at all. We need all our defenders back and fit for the majority of the season.

Overall, a decent performance especially given that at the end of last season, few of us were hoping for a starting line-up like that.

Would have liked to see our new striker get a run out especially in preference to Sancho who we seem to be humouring for some reason.

Casemiro's passing through the lines from our back 4 into our midfield/forwards was absolutely incredible today and hew as doing under pressure with split seconds to make decisions - he looked the sharpest player a long with Bruno on the pitch today. Very encouraging.

Coming out as the better side while painful to lose on pens, the game is always hard Vs 115 mutiball-club Disney oil sheikh F.C. and it's encouraging for the season ahead. Hopefully we kick on and win the first few comp games because it would be nice to start well for once. Mainoo etc will help with that.

Player Ratings

5.8 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 182 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Man City win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 22% Man City 1:2 Man Utd
  • 18% Man City 2:1 Man Utd