CS L Community Shield

Manchester City 1:1 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Sat, 10 August 2024

No sorry it isn't harsh.

If you come in here to dish out abuse to our own players (after a fecking pre season game), or frankly if you dish out petty abuse to anyone because they didn't play football the way you liked, then you need to have a serious word with yourself.

It is not a normal way for fully grown adults to behave. It is what spoilt nasty children do.

It's embarrassing for all of us. Please stop it, and if you're incapable of stopping it maybe seek therapy.

Hahahaha. Well said.

No sorry it isn't harsh.

If you come in here to dish out abuse to our own players (after a fecking pre season game), or frankly if you dish out petty abuse to anyone because they didn't play football the way you liked, then you need to have a serious word with yourself.

It is not a normal way for fully grown adults to behave. It is what spoilt nasty children do.

It's embarrassing for all of us. Please stop it, and if you're incapable of stopping it maybe seek therapy.
Not sure what my eel fight has to do with Rashford! But entirely agree with the overall sentiment of your post.

No sorry it isn't harsh.

I was tagged in this but can’t see the post?

Fair enough. My take was that on average, we were just a bit above the average which I assess as a 5. There were a couple of performances that dragged my average down. Rashford a Mount. And Sancho penalty miss given he wasn't on that long to negate that miss, unlike Evans who was and played ok.

Somehow I have it in my head that 6 is average, even though 5 is more logical.

But if 5 is average here then 5.8 is spot on as Rashford was fairly poor on the day and should have been to run riot against City’s RB.

No sorry it isn't harsh.

You refer to abuse, but there isn't a single abusive word uttered about Rashford in those posts you quoted.

Sounds like you might need a dictionary.

Also you're indirectly suggesting fans can't criticize the players. That's just ridiculous, and sounds like you're being triggered because some hold the standards of the club higher than your personal favorites.

Fans wanting consistently high standards from our best paid player is perfectly sane and reasonable.

If anyone should seek therapy here, it's obviously you.

That is exactly what I am saying. Yoro hasn't even made a match for us, so your assumption of him being better is based on nothing at all. Garnacho is promising, is he better than Rashford and Amad? Certainly not a clear yes. Hojlund better than the Bruno-Mount combination? Both don't seem to be "good". I'll give you Shaw. That makes 1 player you could really make a case for.

Let’s keep it like that, we aren't going to agree on it. When you want to think, that we were worsened by players not being available to the same extent as City was, playing without their 1st choice midfield alltogether, then be my guest.
Yeah I think it’s good to leave it if you say Garnacho is arguably better than Amad.

I’m not saying that either team was weakened more or less, it was a response to you saying that our performance was irrelevant given how many starters for City were not playing.

Not concerned about result or individual performances, its a pre season game essentially with a lot of players not match fit, against half a side of City players will barely even feature this season.

What was pleasing to watch was seeing the start of implenting structure in our play. Kept hearing about the tactical genius of Ten Hag sides before his appoiuntment and themost dissapointing thing last season was how clueless the side looked.

But already a couple of the preseason games and yesterday you could see how there were signs of an orgnaised press and quick passing patterns in the final third.

A quality midfield addition or two, bit more luck with injuries, better individual consistent form and progression in implementing these tatics and there is a genuine hope of seeing progression in this side

I’m not saying that either team was weakened more or less, it was a response to you saying that our performance was irrelevant given how many starters for City were not playing.
I haven't stated that our performance is irrelevant, I just said that City played with a weakened squad. Which everybody with a pinch of football knowledge will agree on so. Don't know why you felt the need to tell us that we were weakened too, had nothing to do with the point of my post.

No sorry it isn't harsh.

Thanks for telling us what we should or should not feel/do.

So sorry to have upset you, your highness.

No sorry it isn't harsh.

Sorry but you are quite wrong if you think I just come here to dish out abuse to our own players.
I certainly have not been abusive. Just realistic about the utterly below par performances last season.
Just because Marcus Rashford is one of our own doesn't make him amune to criticism. Justified criticism.

Somehow I have it in my head that 6 is average, even though 5 is more logical.

But if 5 is average here then 5.8 is spot on as Rashford was fairly poor on the day and should have been to run riot against City’s RB.

Marking individual players is admittedly quite subjective. Just a bit of fun really and certainly not at all scientific.
Appreciate your very measured response.

worst penalty ever from evans

Was a terrible penalty, but you can't be too upset at a squad / emergency player taking the 8th or 9th pen whatever it was, when you've got a 75m Sancho failing to score too.
At least Evans has decent contribution to the cause unlike Sancho.

Are we really kicking off the embarrassing Rashford abuse after what was essentially a pre season game?

Some of you honestly come across like you're about 8 years old.

He could get 30+ goals this season and some of you would still slag him off for no other reason than to protect your own idiotic hate filled opinions.
He missed a chance, but I've seen some weird posts trying to blame him for us not winning.
It was about 75mins in when he missed and we then went on to score, and be 1-0 up with a couple of mins to go.

It feels really weird when people try and put Rashy and Sancho in the same folder too.

Was a terrible penalty, but you can't be too upset at a squad / emergency player taking the 8th or 9th pen whatever it was, when you've got a 75m Sancho failing to score too.
At least Evans has decent contribution to the cause unlike Sancho.

Very well said. Evans is an honest player who normally gives his best. Something Sancho needs to aspire to.

this match again showed the lack of quality we have in our attack and as much as we say we need to strengthen the defenders, we have wingers that can't score

this match again showed the lack of quality we have in our attack and as much as we say we need to strengthen the defenders, we have wingers that can't score
A winger scored our goal so that's patently incorrect

a winger scored. Rashford on another day will score 2. Amad looked threatening.

Im feeling positive over what I saw. Ruud will help Rashford iron out the mental and technical kinks to becomw more productive in front of goal.

Looking forward to Fulham.

No sorry it isn't harsh.

Why did I get a quote notification for this

A winger scored our goal so that's patently incorrect

a winger scored. Rashford on another day will score 2. Amad looked threatening.

Im feeling positive over what I saw. Ruud will help Rashford iron out the mental and technical kinks to becomw more productive in front of goal.

Looking forward to Fulham.

yes a winger scored...garnacho i give you that...but overall you can say rashford and/or Amad looked threatening but neither put it in the back of the net. Amad is unproven at this level and rashford has spent the last 15 months struggling to find form and score goals.

The positive of having had this match is that it has hopefully eradicated a repeat of our half-baked opening day performances of the last two seasons.

The community shield, whilst not being a competitive game, definitely focuses minds more than a pre-season friendly. So I’m a lot more optimistic for the Fulham game.

Bruno and Garnacho in particular looked sharp against City despite missing the tour.

yes a winger scored...garnacho i give you that...but overall you can say rashford and/or Amad looked threatening but neither put it in the back of the net. Amad is unproven at this level and rashford has spent the last 15 months struggling to find form and score goals.
And on another day both could have scored a couple of goals, what happened in the past has no relevance to the future, every player is unproven at this level when they're just starting out

Some real positives, but you have to stay balanced and remember it was against a heavily weakened City team.

But you do worry about our goalscoring this season.

Sancho was never going to score that. The commentator jinxed it anyway reminding us of his last pen in a big game at Wembley! Just when we'd forgotten!
I find it hard to believe that we have sports phycologists on staff and give Sancho a penalty.

" Let's give somebody who is seems to be extremely fragile, mentally, and put him in a pressure situation when he has been back in the fold for less than 10 minutes."

Stupid decision in my opinion.

No sorry it isn't harsh.

With all due respect what everyone else shared or at least most of them Looked like criticism and not fall into abusive language. If anything the way you sound is exactly what abusive people would sound like. I know myself for sure I don’t need any therapy. Good luck to you.

I support the club. I want best for the club if someone is not up to standard I am going to express he’s not up to standard like I said it’s not just this much. It’s the way he carried himself for last 12+ months.

So you are blaming a kid who has probably never played there before? Shouldn't the blame be directed against the fact that we didn't gave a viable left back ?
He is 23 in December and has 26 caps for Uruguay so I don't think he is a ‘kid’ anymore. If he wants to make it at Utd he shouldn't have been bullied in the air by a player who is smaller than him; had it been De bruyne or Haaland it would be unfair to criticise him.

Don't know why Amass wasn't in squad, but lots of former utd and other top pros start off in positions that aren't their preferred and make enough of a contribution to stay and get the opportunity to evolve/and or play in their preferred position.

Main issue for me was that he didn't step up and take the pen instead of Evans. Nani was still 21 when he took pen v Chelsea in champions league final whilst Anderson was 20. They were closer to being kids but had the cojones to step up and deliver when it mattered the most.

I just don't know why Rashford is perserved with. When we play Fulham he should be on the bench. Garnacho should play left and Amad right. ETH will be gone by Christmas if he sticks with Rashford.

Not concerned about result or individual performances, its a pre season game essentially with a lot of players not match fit, against half a side of City players will barely even feature this season.

What was pleasing to watch was seeing the start of implenting structure in our play. Kept hearing about the tactical genius of Ten Hag sides before his appoiuntment and themost dissapointing thing last season was how clueless the side looked.

But already a couple of the preseason games and yesterday you could see how there were signs of an orgnaised press and quick passing patterns in the final third.

A quality midfield addition or two, bit more luck with injuries, better individual consistent form and progression in implementing these tatics and there is a genuine hope of seeing progression in this side

Yes. But these are significant variables. Seems we struggle to sign players. And are you confident in ETH signings and strategy, because I am not.

Too many circumstances need to somehow 'align' for ETH and it's always the case. Every team will have injuries and inconsistency of form amongts players to deal with. What I want to know is what is the ETH preferred midfield? A three, a diamond? I still do not know, and who plays? What tests a club is the squad, the depth, quality and how the team is set up. I'm still trying to figure this out. Does ETH think Rashford deserves to start ahead of Garnacho? Does ETH think Luke Shaw is a reliable player, despite clear, ongoing injury concerns? Does ETH think even with a fit Rasmus, that we have enough goals in our forwards to regularly win games?

I have no idea about these, quite fundamental questions. And that's my concern. One-off games mean little, it's the week-to-week.. that's what I'm still trying to work out.

Perhaps he did switch off but if you look at how he contorts his body to try and win the header, I thought it was a commendable effort for a winger

Yeah, I thought Pelistri was all over Bernardo, quite good defensively really. Just a perfect pass. The one really to blame was Martinez who got done quite embarrassingly by Oscar Bobb, who is going to be massive. And whoever was blaming Onana for not getting that cross is way off the mark.

I am still stewing over the fact that we didn't have a left-back in the squad for that game.

Not just the fact that Dalot had to cover the LB position and Pellestri was at RB when the goal was conceded, in the bigger scheme of things, that's not that important. What bothers me is that we go into the first game of the season without any real LB options.

We are hopefully signing Mazraoui but we have absolutely no idea if he is fit enough to walk into the first team. Assuming Shaw is not injured, surely 15/20 minutes at the end would have helped him get match-fit, otherwise, how is he meant to get match-fit? Amass did well on the tour, to leave him out of the squad seemed pretty harsh. Again, this should have been a great chance for him to get 20 minutes.

Instead, we had Pellestri playing at FB with Ten Hag mumbling something about 'seniority' in the post-match interview.

Yeah, I thought Pelistri was all over Bernardo, quite good defensively really. Just a perfect pass. The one really to blame was Martinez who got done quite embarrassingly by Oscar Bobb, who is going to be massive. And whoever was blaming Onana for not getting that cross is way off the mark.
Not off the mark, an agenda against him, Onana was covering his near post which is what he should be doing in those circumstances

Yes. But these are significant variables. Seems we struggle to sign players. And are you confident in ETH signings and strategy, because I am not.

Too many circumstances need to somehow 'align' for ETH and it's always the case. Every team will have injuries and inconsistency of form amongts players to deal with. What I want to know is what is the ETH preferred midfield? A three, a diamond? I still do not know, and who plays? What tests a club is the squad, the depth, quality and how the team is set up. I'm still trying to figure this out. Does ETH think Rashford deserves to start ahead of Garnacho? Does ETH think Luke Shaw is a reliable player, despite clear, ongoing injury concerns? Does ETH think even with a fit Rasmus, that we have enough goals in our forwards to regularly win games?

I have no idea about these, quite fundamental questions. And that's my concern. One-off games mean little, it's the week-to-week.. that's what I'm still trying to work out.
I am very very muchon the fence with him tbh.Thought hedid well infirst season butit was massively overblown hum improving players...only DAlot has improved and that the football wasmainly only better due to Rashford golden form and Martinez and Casemiro massivley improving the side.

Obviously there were huge injury problems last season and Shaw/Martinez were HUGE losses. There was also a monumental drop in form from Casemiro/Rashford. But the football was absolutely dreadful,no exuse for that and surprised he was kept on.

So this season isp ivotal....but the transfers are looking better (less his control, Martinez onlygood one he made) and as mentioned tacctially...maybethis is the addition of new coaches shows more promise.

Until a couple of weeks ago, I saw little chancehim keepinghis job, let alone a push for the top four....now I see progress before a new season which not really seen barMourinhos first window

Only watched the game at times but it looked okay. Missed some big chances but at least we created them. Really don't know what to expect this season.

I am still stewing over the fact that we didn't have a left-back in the squad for that game.

Not just the fact that Dalot had to cover the LB position and Pellestri was at RB when the goal was conceded, in the bigger scheme of things, that's not that important. What bothers me is that we go into the first game of the season without any real LB options.

We are hopefully signing Mazraoui but we have absolutely no idea if he is fit enough to walk into the first team. Assuming Shaw is not injured, surely 15/20 minutes at the end would have helped him get match-fit, otherwise, how is he meant to get match-fit? Amass did well on the tour, to leave him out of the squad seemed pretty harsh. Again, this should have been a great chance for him to get 20 minutes.

Instead, we had Pellestri playing at FB with Ten Hag mumbling something about 'seniority' in the post-match interview.
Why mention Pelliestri in that sense and not mention how important he was in the build up of our goal??? I thought he looked all right, actually. Wasn’t much more he could’ve done on Silva’s goal. Was all over him. Mebbe United should continue looking at him as a possible right back

Why mention Pelliestri in that sense and not mention how important he was in the build up of our goal??? I thought he looked all right, actually. Wasn’t much more he could’ve done on Silva’s goal. Was all over him. Mebbe United should continue looking at him as a possible right back
I mentioned Pellestri because he was the player playing at full-back when he clearly is not a full back.

I like Pellestri but I think the club have messed him around since he joined (pointless loans, very limited playing opportunities at United). He is one of the few right wingers that we have had recently who don't see getting to the opposition's byline as some sort of criminal offence. I would play him in preference to Anthony every week of the season.

I mentioned Pellestri because he was the player playing at full-back when he clearly is not a full back.

I like Pellestri but I think the club have messed him around since he joined (pointless loans, very limited playing opportunities at United). He is one of the few right wingers that we have had recently who don't see getting to the opposition's byline as some sort of criminal offence. I would play him in preference to Anthony every week of the season.
I like Pellistri cos he seems like a nice chap, but he quite clearly doesn't have the required level. He's had opportunities, and underwhelmed in pretty much all of them.

Player Ratings

5.8 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 182 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Man City win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 22% Man City 1:2 Man Utd
  • 18% Man City 2:1 Man Utd