CS L Community Shield

Manchester City 1:1 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Sat, 10 August 2024

People can say city started 3 youth players but we had a 36 year old CB and no striker and we absolutely played them off the park. Our attacking play as fantastic, it's clear to see that just slot a number 9 in their and you've scored at least 2 more but it's very very promising. Defense was solid too. Haaland was no threat at all, i'm starting to think he's a much much better version of Lukaku in terms of attributes (big strong fast, but no hold up play and the ball bounces off him at times).

fecking Sancho. Couldnt even score a goddamn penalty to seal our win. What a waste

Either way, Garna and Amad are head and shoulders better than any of our other wingers. Kids are miles better than senior players. Shows how pathetic past regimes have been

Played ok. Hope to see a striker instead of mount against Fulham though. Even if it's rashford with garnacho out left

I come away disappointed because we deserved to win we did well. A late equaliser for City who then went behind in the shootout wasn’t that impressive

Same story for United in terms of the attack, lots of chances created no prolific finishing.

Outside of that the defensive structure of the team was brilliant. Have to credit Erik and the coaching staff for this, when the team lost possession beyond the midfield the defensive line could track runners and the turnover was far less of a threat compared to what was seen last season.

United should be starting the season with three central defenders across the back and Martinez playing as the inverted fullback.

Add Zirkzee, MDL, Mazraoui and a midfielder to that and I think we can threaten Arsenal and City. Won't win but we can push them.
Agreed for the most part, however we are very light in the middle quality wise. We need someone like Ugarte for some added steel and then we would be in a very good position.

Second half we played really well and should probably have won. Honestly I wouldn't care if we sold both Sancho and Rashford. No idea also why Zirkzee didn't get any minutes.

fecking Sancho. Couldnt even score a goddamn penalty to seal our win. What a waste

Either way, Garna and Amad are head and shoulders better than any of our other wingers. Kids are miles better than senior players. Shows how pathetic past regimes have been
Who signed those two players?

People can say city started 3 youth players but we had a 36 year old CB and no striker and we absolutely played them off the park. Our attacking play as fantastic, it's clear to see that just slot a number 9 in their and you've scored at least 2 more but it's very very promising. Defense was solid too. Haaland was no threat at all, i'm starting to think he's a much much better version of Lukaku in terms of attributes (big strong fast, but no hold up play and the ball bounces off him at times).
the thing about Halaand, is he'll get you 30+ goals a season which makes up for quite a lot! but yes we kept him quiet again just like in the cup final

The performance was very encouraging, we created far more and better chances, and looked in control for the most part - our press seems to have gotten a lot smarter, and we're much less open. Makes me excited to see what we can do with a real defence in place.

Such a big improvement over last season. Hopefully a sign our press is better

Need to start putting the ball in the net, simple as. Mount has to be on the end of the Amad cross, Rashford has to hit the target with his first effort and he has to score the second.
I’m really liking the look of the new pressing structure, the front 6 really working hard and with a new look back 4 next week - we should really see this shape develop

no confirmation anywhere... not in in red tops "nonsense column"
Ornstein has said a bid was accepted and he’s the number 1 journalist for this stuff and the Romano guy has said his catchphrase.

Safe to say it’s happening in the next couple days.

On another day we win this 3 or 4-1.

One thing is clear: Rashford needs to be much further down in the pecking order, either out wide or up front.

Despite losing, the way we played in attack was very positive to watch, poor finishing(looking at you Rashford) was the only negative.

Casemiro as well looked very good, so did Amad, Bruno and Garnacho.

So with De Ligt and Mazraoui in we might be looking at a good start for the season. Hopefully a DM also comes in, so we don't have to rely on Casemiro at all times.

Oh and feck right off Sancho, hope PSG are stupid enough to buy him.

Coming out as the better side while painful to lose on pens, the game is always hard Vs 115 mutiball-club Disney oil sheikh F.C. and it's encouraging for the season ahead. Hopefully we kick on and win the first few comp games because it would be nice to start well for once. Mainoo etc will help with that.
To start well, we need momentum. I don't think losing the first cup of the season ever counts as good momentum.

If anything, it sets a bad mood for our start.

Ruud probably thinking no wonder United was so shit in all these years when we missed sitter after sitter.

Found that encouraging. The 442 can solve a few problems moving forward, though so much depends on Martinez being fit.

I feel much more positive after watching that than I did after watching that Wolves game this time last year. We look structurally sound and there is some good linkup play between certain players.

Got to be burying those chances against City. Punished for simply being shit at putting the ball in the net.

Ruud has his work cut out with Rashford in particular.

New season same old story. We can't score and we can't defend. Historically that's been a bad combination in Football.

We should have won, had enough chances and was much better after the first 20/25 minutes.

Amad's cut back in the first half was made for a striker to tap in, Rashford's two misses are incredibly poor especially the second when he could have easily took a second touch and with McTominay's miss I cannot work out why he tried to twist his body to get his right foot on it when he could have stuck out a left toe.

Can't wait to see more of Amad and Garnacho, every time they get on the ball I'm hopeful they can work a bit of space and create a chance or get a shot away.

Who signed those two players?
Garna and Amad were signed for youth setup, for peanuts, most likely without any input from Woodward

However we all know who gave astronomic wages ro Rashford and who signed Sancho on insane fee/wages. Same for Antony

Some good play today - so not overly disappointed with the result, but Ruud van Nistelrooy has some work to do...
Rashford is a lost cause. Idk why people think he'll suddenly start finishing consistently. He's never shown it and will never do it. We could get Ronaldo, Suarez, Rooney, Ibra, RVN, RVP all coaching him and it wouldn't change a thing.

Ornstein has said a bid was accepted and he’s the number 1 journalist for this stuff and the Romano guy has said his catchphrase.

Safe to say it’s happening in the next couple days.
good news. but not sure I trust The New York Times. Will celebrate when SJR or ETH says it. but does look promising

Better side by quite a distance there. I'm feeling a lot more excited about the Fulham game than I was yesterday.

Looked so much better on the ball, created chances easily, broke their press when we wanted and conceded barely a shot.
Agreed. We've outplayed City in our last two competitive games. Difficult to know whether we should be excited by this or it's just the fact we're suited to being underdogs as we were under Olé.

Good game, I'd say. Of course, City were nowhere near their best but then neither were we (Yoro, Højlund, Shaw and most of our main players not being quite match fit). We should've won during the 90 minutes and were a bit unlucky — when was the last time we could've said that?

I'm a bit disappointed that we haven't seen at least a little bit of Zirkzee and Amass should've been on the bench. Still, with De Ligt and Mazraoui coming in as well as, hopefully, another midfielder I'm actually moderately excited about the season. Let's see how long that lasts :lol:

Overall Bruno was great, Amad & Garnacho were very good. Licha was a bit rusty but had some great moments.

good news. but not sure I trust The New York Times. Will celebrate when SJR or ETH says it. but does look promising
Ignore NYT, it’s Ornstein who only talks transfers when done. It’s absolutely done and it’s great news,

Im not too bothered about losing as the is only a pre-season friendly but I thought Andre Onana was terrible in the shootout other than the one he saved, he kept going to early and allowing tbe takers to see where he was going then go the other way.

GUojpnfXUAAitpd

Player Ratings

5.8 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 182 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Man City win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 22% Man City 1:2 Man Utd