PL W FA Premier League

Manchester United 1:0 Fulham

Post-match discussion

Fri, 16 August 2024

A win is a win but a subpar performance overall! Decent and good first half and a subpar of a second half were Fulham where much more in control, it was shades of last season! The performances need to improve!

Was at the game and all the new lads looked really good. Maguire was terrific first half too to be fair to him.

Only felt genuinely threatened by Fulham a couple of times and we should've won by 2 or 3 in the end. Much better than the wolves game I went to last season.

Not sure Mount is going to work out, he doesn't fit the system at all. Sorry Mason as you seem like a nice fella.

They may be a decent side in general but they were very poor tonight. United did ok though.

Nah they were pretty decent considering the squad and budget they have to play with. Apart from the last 20 minutes of the first half and making a pigs ear of a 2v1 I don't think they were poor at all.

A win is a win but a subpar performance overall! Decent and good first half and a subpar of a second half were Fulham where much more in control, it was shades of last season! The performances need to improve!

I agree it still wasn't great but last season Fulham would have had about 25 shots and we'd have looked like a table football side until descending into chaos for the last 10 minutes, and after the game we'd all have been baffled how it ended 1-1 and not about 0-13.

The scary thing was the big gaps in Midfield once we took Mount off and Fernandes dropped back.

To be honest, I thought it was a patchy performance at best, typical first game of the season performance which was only to be expected. However, there are very promising signs there as well, certainly a much improved first match of the season performance compared to the previous 2 seasons.

All about the 3 points on the opening day and thankfully we just about got them. Stuff to work on as expected but some decent spells from us and if we’d have been clinical the game would have been out of sight.

Definitely better than the Wolves opener last season. Didn’t think it would be possible to deflate me winning the opening game but that certainly managed it!

One thing that does concern me if Ugarte does come in - we would really miss Casemiros for set pieces. Always seems a threat. And defending, the team will look a little short without him.

One thing that does concern me if Ugarte does come in - we would really miss Casemiros for set pieces. Always seems a threat. And defending, the team will look a little short without him.

Play both and leave out Mount

Pleased to get the win, however will definitely get punished against better sides. How on earth did Garnacho not score at the end

Really good effort which is most important for me, and we showed some very good football. After the first 15 minutes, we were on top of them, our best part of the game.

A bit chaotic in the second half , but we kept creating opportunities for ourselves.

A good result, a good effort and a mixed performance. Since we are not completely fit and bedded in, I think that‘s great on balance.

Great to get that win! I thought we played pretty well. Mazraoui looks the real deal.

Watching end of game with sound after the pub with no sound. Dixon and Le Seaux jsut ripping in United and ETH. So disappointed with our goal. Bring on the ABU and negativity, and from many on here. Pour it into our veins.

Going to be a fun season, expectations not high just get the train rolling the right way.

You really cannot argue with three points to start the season. The fact a new player sealed the win makes it better.

Zirkzee is a big old lump, isnt he? he looks like he should be a target man but he drops deep a lot. i don't know if is completely fit, looks like he needs to lose apound ortwo. Bruno was really wasteful in front of goal, and , just as in the Community Shield we wasted a lot of chances. the one right at the end when garnacho failed from rashford's cross was incredible.

Just watched replay, overall deserved 3 pts, performance in final 3rd was kinda mid, we had one or two lucky moments. Dunno what happened with some players, today with that kid`s goal on his debut, remembered Rashford one, had some crazy hopes for him back then.

Was at the game and all the new lads looked really good. Maguire was terrific first half too to be fair to him.

Only felt genuinely threatened by Fulham a couple of times and we should've won by 2 or 3 in the end. Much better than the wolves game I went to last season.

Not sure Mount is going to work out, he doesn't fit the system at all. Sorry Mason as you seem like a nice fella.
Could have written this myself! Was at the game this evening as well.

Thought all the defense plus Case looked good tonight. Mount had some lovely touches but playing him as a false 9 is never going to work. De ligt, Z and Garnacho coming on was a good lift and you could feel the crowd getting excited when they were on the ball

We created loads of chances which was very encouraging, can't believe we scored the most difficult chance of the lot and missed the sitters.

3 points in the bag though, happy days.

We looked like a slightly above average PL team, not significantly better than Fulham. At least the new signings(Zirkzee and Mazraoui) looked impressive.

We don't really excel at anything, any aspect of football. Our players are neither physically(speed, strength) imposing(we're losing a lot of physical duels) or technically great - when we consider whole team as a unit. Midfield can't control games(hot potato show with Bruno and Casemiro). Center backs are slow. Forwards can't finish(Garnacho's miss was really embarrassing, Bruno is just going straight at the keeper twice). Build up is often shaky. Pressing can be good, but is inconsistent.

A lot of things aren't his fault(probably), but I don't see how ETH survives this season as Man Utd manager. Sacking was just delayed for some reason.

Glad we won.Couldnt believe Zirkzee scored, he hardly even looked like a player up to then.Hope the goal Spurs him on.
Goal of the season last year for Garnacho, miss of the season in the bag for this year.
Hope we get a midfielder before the window shuts.An elite striker probably too much to hope for.

What? That's harsh.

We looked like a slightly above average PL team, not significantly better than Fulham. At least the new signings(Zirkzee and Mazraoui) looked impressive.

We don't really excel at anything, any aspect of football. Our players are neither physically(speed, strength) imposing(we're losing a lot of physical duels) or technically great - when we consider whole team as a unit. Midfield can't control games(hot potato show with Bruno and Casemiro). Center backs are slow. Forwards can't finish(Garnacho's miss was really embarrassing, Bruno is just going straight at the keeper twice). Build up is often shaky. Pressing can be good, but is inconsistent.

A lot of things aren't his fault(probably), but I don't see how ETH survives this season as Man Utd manager. Sacking was just delayed for some reason.
Pretty much every team in the league is stuffed with internationals nowadays. It makes it harder to look a cut above.

I’d say Maguire and Mazza played well, Rashford again disappointed

Zirkzee’s finish was excellent, excited to see more of him.

Before the game I was feeling optimistic after the summer signings etc but today was the same old Utd off last season I’m afraid - for the last 20 minutes before the goal we were awful in possession and just kept oofing it up with hit and hope kicks.

Happy to grind out the 3 points though and hopefully we’ll continue to improve

There were a worrying similarities with the opening game vs Wolves last year. EtH still not set on a starting 11 or formation.

Cautiously optimistic after that.

Oh, for feck's sake, seriously

It was an entertaining game, first game of the season. We saw some extremely exciting moments by new players, new system, new style, shit ton of moments. And we won.

And you are still moaning. Come on

It wasn’t at all.
Had garnacho got that on target the keeper would have saved it, he’d made massive strides in coming across.
That pass was never on in that situation.

When the ball past Leno from Garnacho's shot, he was barely past the penalty spot. He had about half the goal to aim at... if he had kept the ball on the ground. Leno was at full stretch so lifting the ball three foot, would have gave him the full goal.

Leno did well to even make himself a factor, the pass wasn't perfect, but it was still a 9/10 chance

Still need Ugarte. He’d improve us so much. Midfield still looks weak when we’re getting attacked on.
Yeah, and Casemiro was having a wonderful game compared to last season. Imagine if he goes back to being shite. We need Ugarte, our players to stay fit and this can be an exciting season

Zirkzee is a big old lump, isnt he? he looks like he should be a target man but he drops deep a lot. i don't know if is completely fit, looks like he needs to lose apound ortwo. Bruno was really wasteful in front of goal, and , just as in the Community Shield we wasted a lot of chances. the one right at the end when garnacho failed from rashford's cross was incredible.
Just because zirkzee wasn't running like a headless chicken doesn't mean he has fitness problems. He's never going to be a target man, that's not his game, he plays really intelligently.

Mazraoui was really good. I’d like to have a look at him at left back, or else sign a left footed left back, because as solid as Dalot is, that first half in particular was so frustrating with how many openings we created on the left only for him to pull play back because he didn’t have a left footed cross in him.

Mainoo and Casemiro were both really good in the first half as well, but I thought both tired in the second half. Mainoos passing in that first 45 was the best I’ve seen from him, and some of his turns and feints on the ball were exquisite.

Mount is a machine for work off the ball, but doesn’t do enough with it still for me. Himself and Bruno together in these roles will create the odd pretty one two move a game, but we definitely lacked shape and direction with them and no centre forward.

Maguire played well. You can smell the panic coming off him when he breaks forward with the ball at his feet, but barring a few poor passes he had a decent game.

Amad looked our most dangerous player in the first half but faded badly in the second. Marcus just looks utterly devoid of confidence and could probably do with a game or two off the bench against tired legs to try and find a goal and a bit of feel good back in his game.

We've got to sort out that pinball shit though. Fulham screwed up some guilty counter attacks, especially the simple 2 on 1. This very easily could have been a defeat.

Very surprised to see people comparing how we play to last season - it’s totally different.

Not saying it’s amazing or there weren’t screw ups but our overall style is very different and much more controlled and compact.

Oh, for feck's sake, seriously

It was an entertaining game, first game of the season. We saw some extremely exciting moments by new players, new system, new style, shit ton of moments. And we won.

And you are still moaning. Come on
The main issue for me is how open we looked on the counter, that will be exploited by better teams if we don't shore it up.

Mazraoui was really good. I’d like to have a look at him at left back, or else sign a left footed left back, because as solid as Dalot is, that first half in particular was so frustrating with how many openings we created on the left only for him to pull play back because he didn’t have a left footed cross in him.

Mainoo and Casemiro were both really good in the first half as well, but I thought both tired in the second half. Mainoos passing in that first 45 was the best I’ve seen from him, and some of his turns and feints on the ball were exquisite.

Mount is a machine for work off the ball, but doesn’t do enough with it still for me. Himself and Bruno together in these roles will create the odd pretty one two move a game, but we definitely lacked shape and direction with them and no centre forward.

Maguire played well. You can smell the panic coming off him when he breaks forward with the ball at his feet, but barring a few poor passes he had a decent game.

Amad looked our most dangerous player in the first half but faded badly in the second. Marcus just looks utterly devoid of confidence and could probably do with a game or two off the bench against tired legs to try and find a goal and a bit of feel good back in his game.

Honestly the Rashford layoff at the end said everything about where his confidence is currently. Is it the "right" decision? Probably. Does a talisman goalscoring forward ever pass that in that situation? feck no.

But at least he sprinted back and didn't put on the lazy act.

Just because zirkzee wasn't running like a headless chicken doesn't mean he has fitness problems. He's never going to be a target man, that's not his game, he plays really intelligently.
He's hardly a lump either, quite agile and athletic just very tall. Brilliant with the ball at his feet, he's the opposite of a target man

The scary thing was the big gaps in Midfield once we took Mount off and Fernandes dropped back.
That might have also been in part due to Amad (who can drift central and play too) leaving the field.

The main issue for me is how open we looked on the counter, that will be exploited by better teams if we don't shore it up.
Sure, but most of our team has not reached their top form. Also, it will be MUCH better with De Ligt instead of Maguire, and hopefully Ugarte instead of Casemiro

Player Ratings

6.3 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 395 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Fulham win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 28% Man Utd 2:0 Fulham
  • 20% Man Utd 2:1 Fulham