PL W FA Premier League

Manchester United 1:0 Fulham

Post-match discussion

Fri, 16 August 2024

Some promising stuff, structurally better but I can't shake the feeling that we're not going to score enough goals again-things might change as the season goes on but it's the same old story as far the attack goes with Garnacho, Bruno and Mount missing what should have been pretty simple goals.

The positives for me were some good pressing, centre midfield looked good for parts of the game, Maguire was excellent, Dalot got better and better as the game went on and we did create some good chances. If only we scored more goals from those chances.

It wa still good enough though, if the pass is that poor then what was the finish?
Both pass and finish was poor. Pass was bit behind and Garnacho was not able to adjust. Happens, thankfully it didn’t cost us

I’m starting to feel like the club is finally slowly going in the right direction again. We have good players they just need belief and to know that they are always playing for their futures at a club that’s going places again. We already have a better squad than 90% of the league but we were also one of the laziest softest teams and you could rattle us. Hopefully this season is the end of that

Decent game and deserved win.

Mazraoui was brilliant. Maguire was really good.

Need to improve our finishing and stop falling around in attack and giving away counters.

We missed 2 or 3 sitters from players with good scoring records at this level and then a new forward came on played really well and scored a goal.

Could you please expand and make this make sense.
I don't disagree with anything you have said, but over the course of many seasons gone by, we simply don't score enough goals. Just have a look back yourself to see we are in the late 50/60's for goals scored per season for a long time. That's shite no matter what kind of argument you want to form. My point is valid, end of story.

We were comfortably better. But god do our strikers need some finishing practice.

Not great, not terrible.

A debut goal is always nice though.

Roy Keane beaming at Lisandro's responses like a proud uncle

Roy and Lisandro Martinez have the same mentality that's why Roy looks so happy with him

A relief to get the win but if we are honest with each other, beating Fulham shouldn't be this difficult! I really despair at our passing and retention of the ball esp in final third, seen no improvement under ETH and even though collectively we have better players, we are generally outpassed by most teams.

It has to improve otherwise a similar season to last wil unfold.

Glad we won.Couldnt believe Zirkzee scored, he hardly even looked like a player up to then.Hope the goal Spurs him on.
Goal of the season last year for Garnacho, miss of the season in the bag for this year.
Hope we get a midfielder before the window shuts.An elite striker probably too much to hope for.

Felt we did well up until the changes. Team pressed wellin the first 60mins. Fulham really had trouble playing out and seemed to lose possession.
Seems we are still starting games slow and need the opposition to threaten before we wake up. I will chalk that to first game of the season.

Positives:
Maguire was great today. Really big performance.
Casemiro was magnificent.
Mazroui showing how good he is with only 2 training sessions under his belt. Early days but IF he can stay fit, we will not miss AWB.
Mainoo confidence is sky high. Dribbling and trying flicks. Great game by him up until 60ish min mark where he got tired and then started to drop off.
Garnacho starting the campaign with an assist.
Zirkzee seems like a neat player. Not sure he can lead the line? Seems to operate better as the second striker.

Negatives:
First game of the season. I think we can hold of on the judgments for the time being.

good post mate i couldn't agree more

I think we definitely need an expirienced striker, we cant keep playing with Bruno as a false 9 as its taking a lot of our creativity away from the middle.

3 points in the bag and definitely a better performance than against Wolves on the opening game of last season albeit with the same result but we'll need to be better in Brighton next week

A relief to get the win but if we are honest with each other, beating Fulham shouldn't be this difficult! I really despair at our passing and retention of the ball esp in final third, seen no improvement under ETH and even though collectively we have better players, we are generally outpassed by most teams.

We struggled against them last season.

Thought the defenders were all excellent. Maguire motm. Mazraoui was fantastic as was Dalot on the left. Licha a little bit more 50-50, some good some bad. Onana did well today. Claimed a lot of high balls in his area. Cas and Kobbie did well in midfield. Bruno made some great passes but was also very wasteful with his shooting. We need him scoring goals. Amad and Mount were poor. Rashford was good in the 2nd half and should have had an assist. Thought Garnacho immediately became our biggest threat after coming on. Got an assist and absolutely should have had a goal too. Expect he will start the next game. Good for Zirkzee to get a debut goal. That will give him confidence.

We were better than the score suggests tbf. The xg is very high and Fulham's xg was very low. However, we really need to be more clinical as the season goes on or we'll drop unnecessary points. I did expect more from the performance tbh but most important thing was the 3 points. I hope this is a sign of what's to come from our defence this season. Night and day vs last year's.

I don't disagree with anything you have said, but over the course of many seasons gone by, we simply don't score enough goals. Just have a look back yourself to see we are in the late 50/60's for goals scored per season for a long time. That's shite no matter what kind of argument you want to form. My point is valid, end of story.

I can only go a season or 2 back because so much has changed at this club from the time of Ole.

We do need to score more goals but where I disagree with you is that I think that comes down mostly to us creating chances rather than finishing them.

Today we saw Bruno miss a sitter, Bruno miss a good chance, Mount miss a great chance and Garnacho miss a sitter. All 3 have been very good finishers during their careers at this level.

So I can only assume this is a bit of an anomaly. On a different day I'm pretty sure we win this game 3-0. The goal we scored was actually one of the more difficult chances.

So what I'm saying is if you take history into account and look at the gameplay then you will assume we will score more goals as we are now creating chances for players that typically finish them well. If you aren't taking history into account then you will look at Zirkzee and say he's a goal a game scorer for us based of a pretty difficult chance and lovely finish along with a good performance.

Either way there are a lot of positives no?

Roy and Lisandro Martinez have the same mentality that's why Roy looks so happy with him
Inject that same mentality into 3 or 4 other players and the contagion will spread! The 90s players had this in abundance!

We looked a different team from last season. Putting both Fulham (H) games side by side, we were insipid last season and extremely exciting this. Every player was interested and clearly desperate to win, which was not the case last season. The playing style was also much more bright and we never ran out of ideas, which the coaching staff must take credit for. The only negative was the finishing. Chance conversion anywhere near as bad as today, including missing 2 one on ones and an open goal, cannot become commonplace.

Individually, Maguire, Mazraoui and Casemiro deserve immense praise for their steadiness. Lovely to see Zirkzee score a proper United winning goal as well. That goal could give his confidence a monumental boost. Amad was probably our least impressive player, but I’m certain he’ll get to the level we need him at. His technique and skill is genuinely boundless.

Much improved from the first match last season. Still a bit concerning how easy we are to break on but we are still getting up to speed. Squad looks vastly stronger though.

New season feels like it has come around quick and with some players only recently returning from the euros, and others having signed just the other day, I was worried about this game.

Nevertheless, after a slow start we grew into it and took control for long periods. Clearly lacking sharpness, but some good passages of play and were really should have scored earlier in the game. With the chances we created 2-0 or more wouldn’t have been unjust.

Better in midfield and defence, always good to get a clean sheet, and we finally have some depth on the bench. Players to come back, others still working on fitness, and possibly still another signing to come.

Nervous going into the game but now feel cautiously optimistic. Ultimately a good night and great for Zirkzee to score on his debut.

I can only go a season or 2 back because so much has changed at this club from the time of Ole.

We do need to score more goals but where I disagree with you is that I think that comes down mostly to us creating chances rather than finishing them.

Today we saw Bruno miss a sitter, Bruno miss a good chance, Mount miss a great chance and Garnacho miss a sitter. All 3 have been very good finishers during their careers at this level.

So I can only assume this is a bit of an anomaly. On a different day I'm pretty sure we win this game 3-0. The goal we scored was actually one of the more difficult chances.

So what I'm saying is if you take history into account and look at the gameplay then you will assume we will score more goals as we are now creating chances for players that typically finish them well. If you aren't taking history into account then you will look at Zirkzee and say he's a goal a game scorer for us based of a pretty difficult chance and lovely finish along with a good performance.

Either way there are a lot of positives no?
I'm genuinely not trying to be negative. We have way more positives after this game. I just made a point based off some familiar issues that I have seen for a long time. Bruno's goalscoring has tapered off big time, but he is getting in great positions. Those positions should be taken by someone else, for me. An elite striker that we have sorely been missing for a long time. Let's see what the season brings. Hopefully one of our forwards takes their game up a few levels, because we need it.
It's no coincidence that our best scoring season in recent years was when we had Ibrahimovic, albeit it past his best, but still banged in a lot of goals for us when we finished 2nd under, Jose.

Last edited:

Agreed our attacking play is still a bit of a worry.

At least we looked far more solid in defence though.

A good and deserved win. First half we really established control after a very first 15-20 mins and should have been two up. In the second half we really started to get ragged and gave up a lot of control with our changes. I don’t think it was the fault of the changes but we really lost composure as legs tired. We had put too much pressure on ourselves by not finishing our chances. Yet, it created a moment for a hero to emerge and emerge it did….

Onana: Solid game. Distribution was hit or miss in the second half but played well.

Mazraoui: Tired as the game went on, but looked accomplished and technical going forwards and in possession, and solid defensively. A great debut and a huge upgrade on AWB.

Maguire: waned in his last five minutes on the field as he was in discomfort, clearly, but prior had an absolutely superb game. Passing was top notch, on the end of everything aerially, best I have seen him play in aeons.

Martinez: A warrior who galvanises everyone. Reads the game brilliantly and did a lot of work that didn’t catch the eye but closed down channels before danger became danger. His distribution today however was way below par from him, and had a couple of brain farts or rash moments that could’ve cost us.

Dalot: a solid performance with some decent deliveries. Used the ball well and worked hard.

Mainoo: Kept us ticking over nicely until he tired. A class above in everything he does. Wanted in the se pen half but was quietly controlling for the first 60 mins.

Casemiro: All action performance. Casemiro of old. Have the feeling he will have to be positionally more disciplined in future matches. As it became more helter skelter in the second half, it was crying out for him to out his foot on the ball and bring some calm experienced to proceedings, but he was playing on 10 all match. A good and bad thing. Looks lean and fit and made a couple of huge challenges, plus a delightful key pass to Bruno that should’ve been a goal.

Bruno: A terrible day for his finishing, on another he could’ve had a brace or hattrick, but otherwise Bruno being Bruno. Brilliant movement, work rate and some gorgeous passes. Such a threat and leader.

Amad: We lost some control when he went off. His ability to keep play ticking over is underrated, but unfortunately didn’t do enough with the ball when he had it. A solid performance and he will be an important player this season, but on that showing he will be an understudy to Garnacho. I hope we give him a few more starts to show what he’s made of. Pure class on the ball and a great presser.

Rashford: Didn’t create a ton, although he laid one on a plate for Garnacho at the end, and didn’t threaten too much throughout the game. But….he worked and ran much much harder today than I’ve seen him do in ages. A decent team orientated performance from him. I can get on board with that attitude.

Mount: His movement is so fluid, he links up play so nicely. That first half with him, Bruno, Mainoo, Casemiro and Amad controlling possession and with quick, high tempo passing, was a thing of beauty. His withdrawal was necessary for more of a goal threat, but I think on that showing it’s clear to see what a high quality option he’ll be this season to cover many positions. Only denied a goal by a great save from Leno.

Subs: De Ligt, Evans and McTominay had no time to impress. De Ligt looked very solid in the few minutes he had and a real leader.

Garnacho: Gives us something different. Think he is potentially at his best off the bench against tired legs. So much pace and very direct. Still has a little bit of tunnel vision and is prone to bizarre losses of ball control, but he was a constant threat when he came on. Got the assist too, although it wasn’t a great ball in.

Zirkzee: Was understandably quiet for a player who had zero pre-season. But you could see that he has a silky touch, nice crisp passing and has very intelligent movement. Came up trumps when it mattered. Dropped deep to start the move and an instinctive, classy finish. I have a feeling this kid is going to be a star here. The player he reminds me most of in our recent past is Berbatov.

Really not impressed how we tried to keep the control the ball on our half like prime Van Gaal ball, everyone afraid to pass anywhere but back. That almost costus points. The game is 90 minutes and we need to outscore the oponent, its not about keeping aimless possession which was eventually only 55% anyway and keeping a clean sheet.

Eventually the goal came and can be happy but it look like another dull game when we lose points because we are not confident enough to pass the ball forward and create any chances.. not talking abou tthe fact that on the other day they could score from one of the counters ehere we were so open.

Berba a bit prickly in the post match bemoaning about the players giving the supporters a victory lap after a dramatic late win on opening day 3 months after the last time they played in front of their home support...

Mountain out of a molehill stuff

I'm genuinely not trying to be negative. We have way more positives after this game. I just made a point based off some familiar issues that I have seen for a long time. Bruno's goalscoring has tapered off big time, but he is getting in great positions. Those positions should be taken by someone else, for me. An elite striker that we have sorely been missing for a long time. Let's see what the season brings. Hopefully one of our forwards takes their game up a few levels, because we need it.

Here is where we come apart I think.

Would Man Utd be a better team if we had a prime Wayne Rooney or Ruud in our team?

Of course. Is that player out there? Maybe. Can we get them? No, literally no chance.

We have some good players in those positions and it is the least of our issues.

Bruno is playing up front because we have an injury and because there has been a horrendous stacking of international tournaments since COVID that I think will catch up with a lot of clubs over the next 2 months.

I am not totally confident about a lot going on with our team but I am confident that if we continue creating chances for Bruno, Hojlund, Amad, Rashford and Garnacho we will score a lot of goals. Honestly even Antony and Sancho can finish even if they are shite at most things.

Player Ratings

6.3 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 395 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Fulham win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 28% Man Utd 2:0 Fulham
  • 20% Man Utd 2:1 Fulham