PL W FA Premier League

Manchester United 1:0 Fulham

Post-match discussion

Fri, 16 August 2024

Felt we did well up until the changes. Team pressed wellin the first 60mins. Fulham really had trouble playing out and seemed to lose possession.
Seems we are still starting games slow and need the opposition to threaten before we wake up. I will chalk that to first game of the season.

Positives:
Maguire was great today. Really big performance.
Casemiro was magnificent.
Mazroui showing how good he is with only 2 training sessions under his belt. Early days but IF he can stay fit, we will not miss AWB.
Mainoo confidence is sky high. Dribbling and trying flicks. Great game by him up until 60ish min mark where he got tired and then started to drop off.
Garnacho starting the campaign with an assist.
Zirkzee seems like a neat player. Not sure he can lead the line? Seems to operate better as the second striker.

Negatives:
First game of the season. I think we can hold of on the judgments for the time being.
Good analysis - good post. Garnacho looks like he needed a couple weeks more on holiday

Read on here that Rashford, Garnacho, Martinez were poor. Just watched the match, think they were fine at the very least.

Mount confuses me - despite not seemingly doing much, we were much better when he was on. But I don't see how you have him and Bruno in the same team, much less those 2 and Zirkzee.

Him coming off coincided with the 60th minute, which is when the game finishes for both Casemiro and Mainoo.

I thought Mount was ok but he was playing instead of a striker in a game where we needed a striker on the pitch.

He also needs to stop selling himself to charge into challenges if 95% of the time the opponent is just going to mug him off or swat him away like a fly. It's not the end of the world when he is in the strikers pressing role but when he does it in the midfield area it causes massive problems.

Read on here that Rashford, Garnacho, Martinez were poor. Just watched the match, think they were fine at the very least.
Not sure how anyone comes to the conclusion any of the back 4 were poor. Dalot was the weakest of the 4 and he was probably still 7/10 when you consider he's playing out of position. Maguire/Martinez was the most solid CB pairing performance we've had in a long time i thought. Hopefully not an opening day one off.

I honestly think this was a decent start to the new campaign. We were solid enough and generally on top, which is not something you’d say often about us last season. It’s the first game back so happy to get the win and a decent performance in.

Ok thoughts/ conclusions:

Bruno played like two different players, could possibly should have scored two. Then was brilliant in the last 15.

How did Gernacho miss that?

Not impressed with Rashford.

Amad was ok, Gernacho will be better, he had a few gimpses of what we know he’s capable of, annoying he was often in tons of space and nobody was capable or willing to go for a long switching pass.

We dominated in the air winning virtually every header especially Maguire and Cas.

Mazroui what a debut absolutely brilliant.
Hernandez is still a beast I remember Adama destroying us and bullying us in the past, especially against Fred, not yesterday.

Maguire was brilliant and didn’t put a foot wrong.

Great finish from Zirkzee.

I thought Mount had a solid game and battled for everything, there’s a player in there.

It’s early in the season but I think we’ll battle for too four again and it’ll be touch and go.

Controlled the midfield.
Had a clear system of play
Elite pressing (in spells)
Lots of chances created
Really good options off the bench

Do people not remember last season? Yeah its not perfect but last season we couldn't say all that in 99 percent of games. This is something to build on. Something that looks like it's going in the right direction and just needs tweaks. It's the first game of the season.

Here are my observations. I stayed up late yesterday evening (live in India) but still wanted to watch the match due to the build up of excitement from the transformation in the boardroom, office, and off course on the pitch. I have a lot of hope from this season.

We created a lot of good chances but our finishing remains pathetic; we need to work on our finishing else we will drop points from winning positions again.

The squad is bigger and better and hopefully we can manage injuries better this season. Enjoying the competition for places. Fringe players need to really perform to stay in the team.

Not having Sancho in the squad was strange considering the minutes he got during the preseason. But ETH seems to have learned his lesson this time. Throwing a public challenge to his player may not always work in the team’s favour.

Zirkzee is inexperienced but I really loved his drive and energy and of course the finish which wasn’t easy at all. Last season we really lacked an energetic center forward who could come and exploit tired legs when we were chasing the game. Hopefully he can play that role this season.

Harry Maguire is immense when the team is not playing well. He is solid and predictable in a calming way amidst the chaos. Saved 1 or 2 certain goals but the sooner we fix our midfield issues and relegate him to the bench, the better for us.

The new right wing back is a breath of fresh hair. Still not used to typing out his name but will get there soon. I never realised seeing a proper right back instead of AWB will make such a difference to my mood.

(Sorry for the bad formatting. For some reason, the formatting buttons aren’t working on my device)

I thought Maguire was excellent , Mainoo is an absolute baller . Mount’s pressing was very good and I think we backed off too much when he came off. Amad was ok he fecked up twice in 3 mins and next thing Garnacho had his jersey on.

One thing I did notice was at the final whistle all the players gathered to do a walk of the field to applaud the fans . Garnacho headed for the tunnel and RVN spotted him and went over and pointed to go back to the rest. Garnacho said something and RVN just agreed maybe it was to avoid confrontation on the field but he didn’t seem happy. Bit of a Ronaldo about him creeping in .
Not sure was it captured on tv
Great atmosphere at the game also !

Last edited:
Nah they were pretty decent considering the squad and budget they have to play with. Apart from the last 20 minutes of the first half and making a pigs ear of a 2v1 I don't think they were poor at all.

That's not important. Stevenage may be a good side if you consider the size of the town and budget, it doesn't mean that United shouldn't win easily. Fulham are doing a good job in the Premier League but they were pretty poor last night and I think they will have a difficult season.

Taking last season as a point of reference, that was pretty good. We weren't much less than halfway through the last season before we had a win as convincing as that. Remember? All we got was blowout losses or single-goal wins that were really, really tight and could well have gone the other way. Yesterday, despite the score, we had four or five big chances, while Fulham really had nothing. As lamentable as our finishing was, this looked closer to 3-0 than 1-1.

Still looked undercooked though - not surprisingly, given how many players arrived with the squad less than two weeks ago.

Some observations:

* We seem to have a different character with Mainoo, Amad and Mazraoui on - better in possession, well able to progress the ball. With Garnacho and McTominay on we gain in incisive threat, but also seem to lose control. You get the impression there's a balance there that hasn't yet been struck.

* The defence looks really solid - Fulham's lack of any decent scoring chance wasn't due to not getting forward in good positions - they did that quite well, and frequently. They just couldn't translate it to scoring chances. Maguire especially solid.

* Rashford and Casemiro significant disappointments to me - they showed little sign of improvement on last season (and unlike many teammates they've had a full summer break and preseason). Hopefully that will change.

* I thought Mainoos first half was magnificent, as influential as I've seen him. But he faded in the second. So did Amad, who also had a good first half.

* Mazraoui looked very comfortable out there.

* Bruno obviously somewhat rusty, but great to see him dragging himself into the game as it progressed anyway.

* Mount - again, no real impact or presence.

I thought Maguire was excellent , Mainoo is an absolute baller . Mount’s pressing was very good and I think we backed off too much when he came off. Amad was ok he fecked up twice in 3 mins and next thing Garnacho had his jersey on.

One thing I did notice was at the final whistle all the players gathered to do a walk of the field to applaud the players . Garnacho headed for the tunnel and RVN spotted him and went over and pointed to go back to the rest. Garnacho said something and RVN just agreed maybe it was to avoid confrontation on the field but he didn’t seem happy. Bit of a Ronaldo about him creeping in .
Agreed, there wasn’t just this, there was a free he didn’t win aswell where he was punching the ground and at times he over plays the ball and won’t pass it.

Garnacho is gonna be one of those pull your hair out or clap in appreciation players. Will be closer be Nani or Ronaldo. Nani could be superb and unplayable some days but was terribly inconsistent.

This is what I have saw from our first outing: Steady defending which was a plus on last season. We must make sure we don’t have a leaky defence this season. I do expect Mazza and De Ligt to be regulars. Martinez as always was brilliant, but again looked tired and unfit at times. Maguire did well but I expect De Ligt to take his place.

Midfield needs some work, Mount imo was good at times, off the ball he ran and pressed hard but we need more and all I see is a backup to Bruno as Bruno cannot go another season practically playing every game again. Casemiro was good, few headers on set pieces is one of those things I always loved about him. I read somewhere he was third in stats last night on Opta.
We do need a new midfielder, long season ahead and he will slow.

Mainoo looked knackered last night and I’m glad he was taken off for rest on 60mins. Bruno did well, just a pity he take his chances.

Forward positions, Rashford was steady but that chance at the end to kill it just shows his lack of confidence, should have taken it himself.
Amad and Garnacho will come good, early days, Amad actually ran at players last night rather than cutting back a lot. Garnacho needs to learn when to pass and when to take it himself.

Zirkzee did well, little nice touches in the middle and took his goal well. Expect him to complement Rasmus when he’s back.

All in all, a decent outing, not amazing, 3pts, clean sheet but lots to improve on.
7/10 for me

Taking last season as a point of reference, that was pretty good. We weren't much less than halfway through the last season before we had a win as convincing as that. Remember? All we got was blowout losses or single-goal wins that were really, really tight and could well have gone the other way. Yesterday, despite the score, we had four or five big chances, while Fulham really had nothing. As lamentable as our finishing was, this looked closer to 3-0 than 1-1.

Still looked undercooked though - not surprisingly, given how many players arrived with the squad less than two weeks ago.

Some observations:

* We seem to have a different character with Mainoo, Amad and Mazraoui on - better in possession, well able to progress the ball. With Garnacho and McTominay on we gain in incisive threat, but also seem to lose control. You get the impression there's a balance there that hasn't yet been struck.

* The defence looks really solid - Fulham's lack of any decent scoring chance wasn't due to not getting forward in good positions - they did that quite well, and frequently. They just couldn't translate it to scoring chances. Maguire especially solid.

* Rashford and Casemiro significant disappointments to me - they showed little sign of improvement on last season (and unlike many teammates they've had a full summer break and preseason). Hopefully that will change.

* I thought Mainoos first half was magnificent, as influential as I've seen him. But he faded in the second. So did Amad, who also had a good first half.

* Mazraoui looked very comfortable out there.

* Bruno obviously somewhat rusty, but great to see him dragging himself into the game as it progressed anyway.

* Mount - again, no real impact or presence.
Casemiro has been as decent in the 2 games this season as he has last season. I think he’s had a very solid start.

New guy Maz . I thought he was excellent for 1st game, confident great passer clever passes .
Playing without a Striker is OK the passes have to be accurate lose the ball and you can get into trouble .. got into a few last night but defended them by some way or another.. Keeper had 1 save to make from distance..
Fulham counter attack was good .
It went bit more open with changes but game was calling out for a Striker.. Zikzee is a big boy bloody hell I didn't realise he was that big!
Took his goal well instinctive finish I like goal like that .. overall it was a deserved win and it should have been more.. chances not taken again..

What formation did we actually line up with? LiveScore had it as a 4231 with Mount as the false 9 but I found that hard to believe

What formation did we actually line up with? LiveScore had it as a 4231 with Mount as the false 9 but I found that hard to believe

Bruno and Mount were alternating as the furthermost forward player, an adapted version of the system used in the final 3 games of last season. After the first 20 mins it was quite effective in terms of forcing turnovers and strangling their transition, Mount did a lot of intelligent pressing to lead that for all that he was relatively uninvolved on the ball.

Downside was there wasn't much creativity from neutral play, chances were created but they were more from forcing mistakes than playing through Fulham, still a bit chaotic and random, with the concern that once the pressing drops off teams may again be cutting through midfield with ease. Fulham made a pigs ear of at least 3/4 counters in the second half that should have led to big chances, really did look as if a Fulham goal was coming between 60-80 mins.

One thing I did notice was at the final whistle all the players gathered to do a walk of the field to applaud the fans . Garnacho headed for the tunnel and RVN spotted him and went over and pointed to go back to the rest. Garnacho said something and RVN just agreed maybe it was to avoid confrontation on the field but he didn’t seem happy. Bit of a Ronaldo about him creeping in .
Didn’t see that, hopefully nothing major!

A lot of positive things yesterday: we controlled the game 90 min (minus 10 min or so, but it’s normal for every team). Created 3-4 must score chances, nearly perfect game for our new RB, defense in general didn’t look shaky.

Negatives: we need to be more direct and score on our chances, I am one of the few who thinks Zirkzee looked a little out of place - can’t see him as our top striker (but first game, so I am calm on this), mount should attribute more - he runs and fights but we need more from him. Rashford is unfortunately done, he won’t be good enough for us.

Last edited:

He obviously wanted to crawl away and die after the embarrassment of missing an open goal. You could tell he was devastated. Ruud was obviously just telling him to keep his chin up. Wouldn’t read more into it than that.

Controlled the midfield.
Had a clear system of play
Elite pressing (in spells)
Lots of chances created
Really good options off the bench

Do people not remember last season? Yeah its not perfect but last season we couldn't say all that in 99 percent of games. This is something to build on. Something that looks like it's going in the right direction and just needs tweaks. It's the first game of the season.
Well said. Once Garnacho, Mainoo, de Ligt, Zirkzee, Mazraoui, Bruno are fully fit, should be very strong. Especially if we get Ugarte. Keep Cas. Keep McSauce. Keep players with spirit and smarts. Sancho, Anthony and Rashford need tickets to Saudi.

Rashford had a good game, not amazing or him at his best but acceptable and the minimum level he should be performing at. Hopefully can continue it.

Martinez looked a little rusty with his passing (similar to City) but all in all had a good game.

Garnacho though I think contributed to us losing control in the second half. A few Fulham attacks were a direct result of him losing the ball but he then got the assist. I think Ten Hag will eventually have a decision to make regarding Rashford, Garnacho and Amad. It may be that playing both Garnacho and Rashford results in us having less control in a game due to their playstyles whereas as playing Amad might mean less directness but more ability to control games.

Amad didn't light the pitch up but there were multiple times we had nice bits of possession in tight spaces with him, Mazraoui plus Bruno/Kobbie on the right which helped us push Fulham back.

I thought Casemiro was finished?

As a #6 he might be. Pretty much all the fundamentals of his game in the deep midfield role have degraded. But as a #8, he's been playing very well - his passing in the final 3rd yesterday was excellent. Perhaps we just need to adjust our expectations of where he should play and what role he occupies.

Some things haven't changed... need to take chances if we're going to win more games: better teams will punish us. And movement off the ball hasn't improved much... but:

we would have drawn this game at best last season. We all know Martinez makes a huge difference to the defence (he was my MoM) and Mazraoui looks a big upgrade on AWB; his positional sense is far greater and he seems more in sync with other defenders already.

Plus, Onana look more assured, let's hope it's not a one-off. De Light slotted in as if he'd been there all game and, despite a very poor few minutes early on (to much pushing and shoving which VAR is set to crack down on), Maguire looked solid (but, of course too slow).

And Cas looked like season one Cas, not season two. Even the wingers seem more ready to cross the ball than last season. But I still think we need to strengthen midfield and get a no.9.

Brighton away next week will be a bigger test, I guess

We shouldn't be too critical given how little preseason training so many of our first team have had

After a sloppy start I thought we were really good and pressed probably as well as I've seen us do under ETH. Bruno takes those 2 chances and we're all over the moon

As the fitness dropped off we resorted to the basketball-esque approach of last season and I worried it was going to fall apart. Thankfully the bench stepped up and we saw the game out relatively easily

The fitness will improve so I expect us to play better for longer as the season progresses. We definitely looked 100% more focused and kept the errors to a minimum.

My biggest worry is how vulnerable we look at corners, Fulham won almost all first contacts on their set pieces and should've really hurt us more - we have to fix that ASAP

Overall there were far more positives than negatives last night

As a #6 he might be. Pretty much all the fundamentals of his game in the deep midfield role have degraded. But as a #8, he's been playing very well - his passing in the final 3rd yesterday was excellent. Perhaps we just need to adjust our expectations of where he should play and what role he occupies.
Casemiro doesn't really resemble a 6 at all anymore. His best traits have become attacking set pieces and his chance creation (albeit with mixed success, his passing is often quite erratic). Pretty wild when you remember the main strengths and weaknesses of the player we signed from Real Madrid.

Casemiro has been as decent in the 2 games this season as he has last season. I think he’s had a very solid start.

Well, the point is he really was not good last year, so if he's been the same the first two games this season, that's not a solid start. He has to improve on that to justify starting regularly for this team.

I didn't think he was very good yesterday. Maybe there were pluses I didn't notice, two games isn't much to go on. No doubt we'll see.

Casemiro doesn't really resemble a 6 at all anymore. His best traits have become attacking set pieces and his chance creation (albeit with mixed success, his passing is often quite erratic). Pretty wild when you remember the main strengths and weaknesses of the player we signed from Real Madrid.

I've been thinking that too. In terms of current strengths and weaknesses, those fit the image of an #8 - or even a #10 - more than a #6.

Player Ratings

6.3 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 395 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Fulham win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 28% Man Utd 2:0 Fulham
  • 20% Man Utd 2:1 Fulham