PL W FA Premier League

Manchester United 1:0 Fulham

Post-match discussion

Fri, 16 August 2024

Mazraoui was really good. I’d like to have a look at him at left back, or else sign a left footed left back, because as solid as Dalot is, that first half in particular was so frustrating with how many openings we created on the left only for him to pull play back because he didn’t have a left footed cross in him.

Mainoo and Casemiro were both really good in the first half as well, but I thought both tired in the second half. Mainoos passing in that first 45 was the best I’ve seen from him, and some of his turns and feints on the ball were exquisite.

Mount is a machine for work off the ball, but doesn’t do enough with it still for me. Himself and Bruno together in these roles will create the odd pretty one two move a game, but we definitely lacked shape and direction with them and no centre forward.

Maguire played well. You can smell the panic coming off him when he breaks forward with the ball at his feet, but barring a few poor passes he had a decent game.

Amad looked our most dangerous player in the first half but faded badly in the second. Marcus just looks utterly devoid of confidence and could probably do with a game or two off the bench against tired legs to try and find a goal and a bit of feel good back in his game.

Whilst I'd agree with the sentiment of bringing in another left footed LB, the criticism is a bit odd. There was only Bruno and maybe Mount in the box, if they were there at all, as they were all over the place positionally (not in a bad way). There was perhaps one or two good opportunities but I think recycling the ball was a good choice as we would have been very susceptible to counter attacks and Fulham was playing well for a period.

I think one of the issues with our team is that we get too emotional. You could see it in Garnacho especially who was just rushing everything. The control we displayed prior to the changes and for a good portion of the first half is what we have to build on. Pinning them back in their half. The problem with our players especially last season was that it seemed like we'd lose our heads and panic a bit. But I think that will come if we start winning more and can start to feel comfortable and confident in the tactics.
The things is, if we actually get clinical with our chances and start scoring/taking our chances early in games we could be a cold, ruthless counter-attacking team, like we were under Ole at times (but with a more technically adept team) but it always seems to devolve into a panic and a bit of a mess where we end up getting nervous.

The defensive structure and the pressing looked better, so there were positives and a lot of players played well. I just wish this team converted more of its chances.

Honestly the Rashford layoff at the end said everything about where his confidence is currently. Is it the "right" decision? Probably. Does a talisman goalscoring forward ever pass that in that situation? feck no.

But at least he sprinted back and didn't put on the lazy act.
It was a good decision, the execution was terrible. Like you said it was a testament of his lack of confidence that he didn't go for it himself

Okay match.....got the three points, Mazraoui looked very good, brilliant finish by Zirkzee, Bruno....meh...should of scored on his second big chance inside the box. Fecking Rashford again plays entire 90.....mind boggling.....Garnacho should of scored, but it was a shite pass from Rashford.

- We were the much better team and should have won by a few goals
- Missing chances breeds uncertainty and we showed that in the second half where we could have lost the game
- Bruno wasted a lot of good openings through indecision and selfishness
- Rashford starts and then stays on the pitch for no apparent reason. Amad and Garnacho did more in their limited minutes.
- Need a midfielder or three
- Mount is too lightweight
- Our ball retention in the first half especially was much improved
- New signings did very well - Mazraoui looks great in the air which I didn’t expect

On a different day, we win that 4-0. Last 2 season openers against Brighton and Wolves still gives me scares.

3 points is all it should matter now

Always good to start the season with a win and it seems like we played well to go with it. Really glad Zirkzee has gotten the first goal off his back

We've got to sort out that pinball shit though. Fulham screwed up some guilty counter attacks, especially the simple 2 on 1. This very easily could have been a defeat.
That's why I think two midfielders were a must. You can't pair Mainoo as brilliant as he is with Casemiro and expect to control it for 90 minutes. One is young and skillful as feck but his engine is his only mild weakness and the other plays like he's 38.

That's why I think two midfielders were a must. You can't pair Mainoo as brilliant as he is with Casemiro and expect to control it for 90 minutes. One is young and skillful as feck but his engine is his only mild weakness and the other plays like he's 38.

Who would be the ideal two midfielders?

Most importantly we got the win. Was it the perfect performance? Far from it. Overall, I felt we controlled the game for 80 percent of it. I wasn't at it, watched it from home. I'm basing this from watching on TV.

Positives;

1) 3 points. It was crucial to get the win and especially a late goal. Fight until the end. That's the United way.

2) ETH Subs. The manager got them right. Garnacho assist, Zirkzee involved with link up play and got the winner. De Ligt got some minutes and didn't do anything wrong.

3) Mazraoui Solid. I think he did everything expected of him, and isn't 100 percent fit. The defence overall was solid too, IMO. I'm a little surprised he isn't getting more praise.

Negatives;

1) We had more deadly chances but weren't killers enough. Hopefully, in time, that will come and hopefully that's where Ruud will help the attackers.

2) Lost control in the second half. Aside from 15 mins or so, it looked like Fulham could score. I'm hoping with weeks to come, we can completely control the more 'average' teams. No disrespect to Fulham but they are average.

Reactions: Cheimoon
Was worried we weren't going to get the goal. We absolutely needed to start this season with a win. Some terrible finishing but luckily Zirkzee snuck his chance in. Onwards.

Who would be the ideal two midfielders?
I haven't a clue as I don't watch other leagues enough. The two facets we need most are energy / tacking + playmaking / control, as Mainoo and Bruno give us (as their strongest qualities) close control / dribbling and creativity respectively.

Very surprised to see people comparing how we play to last season - it’s totally different.

Not saying it’s amazing or there weren’t screw ups but our overall style is very different and much more controlled and compact.
Absolutely. But I think people often don't see degrees of improvement and even 30% better is not really anything for them. To be fair the second half marred the feeling somewhat but our dominance was clear - we retained it much better than normal and our xg was more than 5.5 times theirs.

Decent performance, controlled large parts and when we didn't, we rarely looked like conceding. An improvement from last season - only conceding about 10 shots, opening up the opposition a good few times howbeit very wasteful in front of goal

Solid effort, we look like we had our heads switched on which you couldn't say about any game we played last season. Definitely need a left back, centre midfielder and a smaller striker for balance up front.

There was definitely a lack of cutting edge and finishing in the match, but we did create chances and played decent stuff at times. Although it is only the first game of the season I do think there is a sense of direction in our play which is refreshing to see. As others have mentioned aside from some avoidable mistakes, Fulham hardly created anything and if weren't for Leno/our terrible finishing - we could have been comfortably ahead.

Still a lot for ETH and the team to do though.

First game of the season, with half of the team were on their 2nd game.

It was a very good play by us, regardless of the score. I don't understand how people can feel negative about that.

I didn't like the overall performance as a team and I don't think we will survive another game like we did today, luckily Fulham were atrocious which saved us.

Some good individual performances like Mazraoui and Zirkzee did well too, Bruno was good too but he isn't a pure striker and missed some chances but his creativity was good.

Rashford was horrid, Mount wasn't good on the ball and Amad didn't make things happen, Mainoo we okayish but he needs to do alot more and Cas was decent, these players must up their performances at least by 2 or 3 folds and take charge of the game.

Next game Rashford should be benched and Garna should start, Zirkzee should start too.

And it's a continuation from charity shield's good performance also. I personally like this false 9 system, and want to see how far we can go with this.
It's a decent system with a striker like Rasmus or Zirkzee. I'm not of fan of Bruno in that position. He can't hold the ball up and ends up drifting to try and get more involved leaving nobody as the spearhead.

I haven't a clue as I don't watch other leagues enough. The two facets we need most are energy / tacking + playmaking / control, as Mainoo and Bruno give us (as their strongest qualities) close control / dribbling and creativity respectively.

Ugarte for energy and tackling but the playmaking signing is a much trickier one to solve

We scored in 87 minutes after missing multiple chances. It was more of a relief than celebrations. Small celebrations after the game is fine, helps with the mood in the team. And with all negativity of last season, its not the worst thing to actually celebrate winning a game which we would have lost last season

Why is their xg so high? Don't remember them having clear cut opportunities.
Some flick ons from corner might have inflated the stats. I cant remember any clear cut chance that they had. Even their break were cut off before they could shoot

Thought Mazraoui had a superb game considering it was his first and I never got that worried feeling you get with some players on the ball.

My only concern is Mainoo. He starts games well, but his stamina seems to go off a cliff on the 60 minute mark. Happened last season and happened in the Euros for England. Strange considering how young he is.

Hoping it's just where he's covering a bit for Casimeros aging legs and wouldn't happen if someone like Ugarte was playing next to him.

A lot of signs from last season are still there. Defence was sitting to deep meaning we couldn’t sustain a press and leaving massive gaps between them and midfield.

At a certain point it looked like we just went in to panic mode in midfield and couldn’t pass the ball to save our lives. People half arsed pressing and not closing space behind others.

Then the lack of energy and athleticism in midfield came crashing back. That’s not to say there wasn’t good things happening there was but looks like a lot of work still needs to be done.

Properly shocked how negative the commentators were about us when we were comfortably the better team.

Very happy with that. Liked Mazraoui, Zirkzee makes it stick and what am impact. We created loads, couple of silly decisions that caused very dangerous counters, but we got away with it.
Yes. Doesn’t suit the narrative one bit.

Obviously happy with the win, and there were a few spells of actual, proper controlling football in there. Downsides are 2 for me:
1. Our midfield can't last the 90. Or the 65. Desperately need options in there. Not sure why we Eriksen wasn't brought on for Mainoo tbh.
2. Our defending on corners came down to: hope their flick-ons don't go in. That won't pan out well for the season.

Mount confuses me - despite not seemingly doing much, we were much better when he was on. But I don't see how you have him and Bruno in the same team, much less those 2 and Zirkzee.

Player Ratings

6.3 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 395 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Fulham win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 28% Man Utd 2:0 Fulham
  • 20% Man Utd 2:1 Fulham