PL W FA Premier League

Manchester United 1:0 Fulham

Post-match discussion

Fri, 16 August 2024

I think if Mount goes back to his best lvl at chelsea, we will have quite an attack. Let's hope he gets there

I just don’t know what he does other than be non-existent. I think Zirkzee is a much better option if they’re going to continue the 4-2-2-2.

Don't deny the anti-Rashfords
It's kind of wild, people have just made up their minds regarding Rashford. He could score 30+ goals and people would still say he's shit and should be sold. I think people just need to change their expectations on him, he's not world class but he'd still play for top clubs. They've become fixated on his salary even though it's not his fault for getting the most money he can. He is what he is and teams are still focused on him, so he still creates game-changing problems for teams.

Garnacho, and Amad still haven't proven they can handle all the necessary work load by themselves. And I think in about 2-3 years if neither of those guys have had 20+ G&A seasons in the league everyone would be clamoring for them to be sold even though they'd still be really young.

People were calling for Rooney to be sold even though him calling out the owners and Fergie for not strengthening the team properly led to our problems post- Fergie. Even now only Bruno is probably the only player we have that could even be close to what Rooney was in his last years for us

Pass was fine. He had make sure the keeper didn't get a touch on it, and Garnacho had no problems receiving it, he just lost his balance on the shot.

No pressure? This bloke clearly never played the sport....:p

And why do you think he lost balance on the shot....

It's kind of wild, people have just made up their minds regarding Rashford. He could score 30+ goals and people would still say he's shit and should be sold. I think people just need to change their expectations on him, he's not world class but he'd still play for top clubs. They've become fixated on his salary even though it's not his fault for getting the most money he can. He is what he is and teams are still focused on him, so he still creates game-changing problems for teams.

Garnacho, and Amad still haven't proven they can handle all the necessary work load by themselves. And I think in about 2-3 years if neither of those guys have had 20+ G&A seasons in the league everyone would be clamoring for them to be sold even though they'd still be really young.

People were calling for Rooney to be sold even though him calling out the owners and Fergie for not strengthening the team properly led to our problems post- Fergie. Even now only Bruno is probably the only player we have that could even be close to what Rooney was in his last years for us
Literally a made up argument and a ridiculous one. 2022–2023 season had him full of compliments from players, coaches, fans, and press. And it’s not unreasonable for superstar-level contracts to have the expectation of superstar-level results, especially at top clubs. Fans want to see consistent results with top paid players who are in their prime years. If they don’t perform, then expect the criticisms. Literally the way it goes at any professional sport with serious money.

We are still very much unbalanced at the back. We need a proper LB. Yes Dalot can cover but he is limited as a LB

The sooner Shaw/Malacia come back the better

The second one to Garnacho was a poor pass.

:lol: that's not a poor pass. Garnacho should've score that in his sleep

I think there's some truth to both points here. Garnacho never should have missed that chance, it's an easy finish for a player of his abilities, but Rashford's pass could have made the chance easier - he telegraphed the pass, it was obvious enough that the Fulham keeper was moving towards Garnacho before the pass was played, and the pass was a little slow and bobbled along the ground, giving the keeper more time to move across to put pressure on, and the bobble made it harder to control. Still on a plate, but a side plate rather than a silver platter.

I think there's some truth to both points here. Garnacho never should have missed that chance, it's an easy finish for a player of his abilities, but Rashford's pass could have made the chance easier - he telegraphed the pass, it was obvious enough that the Fulham keeper was moving towards Garnacho before the pass was played, and the pass was a little slow and bobbled along the ground, giving the keeper more time to move across to put pressure on, and the bobble made it harder to control. Still on a plate, but a side plate rather than a silver platter.

Think the pundits on Norwegian TV summed it up pretty well when they called for the whole sequence (starting with Bassey's miss) to be put to Benny Hill Show music. They also thought Rashford's pass was worse than Garnacho's miss.

And I can't help but point out that what you're arguing doesn't constitute "some truth to both points" - given that one of the points was that there was no problem with Rashford's pass.

Not that it's a big deal, or say anything in particular about any of the players involved. These things happen.

Think the pundits on Norwegian TV summed it up pretty well when they called for the whole sequence (starting with Bassey's miss) to be put to Benny Hill Show music. They also thought Rashford's pass was worse than Garnacho's miss.

And I can't help but point out that what you're arguing doesn't constitute "some truth to both points" - given that one of the points was that there was no problem with Rashford's pass.

Not that it's a big deal, or say anything in particular about any of the players involved. These things happen.

I quoted two posts, one was that the pass was poor, the other was that Garnacho should be easily scoring. There's definitely truth to both of those points - Rashford could have made the chance even easier with a better pass, but it was still a serviceable pass and a very easy finish.

I don't agree at all that the pass was worse than the finish; at least the pass went in the direction it was meant to for starters. But the Benny Hill theme does seem fitting for the sequence as a whole.

Not bad really, created some very good chances which on day could have lead to a 2 or 3 goal comfortable win. Onana wasn't overly taxed except for the long shot early on showing our defence was allot more solid.

To sum up, some rustiness but some good signs and something to build on.

Only saw the highlights, so didn't get a feel for the whole game. Looked as though we created a number of good chances which is excellent and echos what's being said here.

The glaring negative was seeing Tete allowed to freely run the length of the park and hit a decent shot. It's exactly what we saw a lot last season and leads to worldy goals or unfortunate deflections from long range strikes if players are allowed to do that too often. Need that addressed pronto or we won't be making much progress.

Good win against a decent team on the opening day.

I don't think we were great though and I still have many of the same concerns as last season:

- At times we looked very open and Fulham ran though us.... Granted we did look better defensively with Martinez back and decent fullbacks.
- I'm still not convinced the squad has enough goals. Really hoping Hojlund and Zirkzee can kick on.
- I thought Rashford still looked very hit and miss and I fear he will have another poor season.

On the plus side: We won, Martinez looks fit again, Maz had a great debut, Zirkzee got off the mark quickly, Onana was comfortable, Maguire did well and Casemiro was much better.

I don't think we were great though and I still have many of the same concerns as last season:

- At times we looked very open and Fulham ran though us.... Granted we did look better defensively with Martinez back and decent fullbacks.
- I'm still not convinced the squad has enough goals. Really hoping Hojlund and Zirkzee can kick on.
- I thought Rashford still looked very hit and miss and I fear he will have another poor season.

On the plus side: We won, Martinez looks fit again, Maz had a great debut, Zirkzee got off the mark quickly, Onana was comfortable, Maguire did well and Casemiro was much better.

Summed up really well. This bit in particular was very worrying for me and there was a point during the 2nd half where the game could've gone either way. We need to have more control of the ball and the game, especially at OT.

Summed up really well. This bit in particular was very worrying for me and there was a point during the 2nd half where the game could've gone either way. We need to have more control of the ball and the game, especially at OT.

Yea, teams running through us has been a theme under ETH and ultimately I believe it will be his downfall..... His only saving grace could be if Ugarte ends up being a Kante regen and solidifies the midfield on his own. I'm not holding my breath though.

exactly what I thought

Cas looks like he's lost some weight over the summer which may be a reason for his improvement!

I agree with everything you say about Rashford and I can understand players have dips in form, but his attitude last season stank, the moaning, whining and going out on the tiles, hes not paid to do that.

Player Ratings

6.3 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 395 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Fulham win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 28% Man Utd 2:0 Fulham
  • 20% Man Utd 2:1 Fulham