EL D Europa League Match Day 3

Fenerbahce 1:1 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Thu, 24 October 2024

A draw away to Fernarbache is ok, it’s type of match even peak United might have lost.

But Ten Hag really is doing odd things. Zirkzee isn’t a striker. Had a chance today to play him as a 10, what does ETH do? Put a RB there.

Don’t get what Amad has done. Seems some players ETH will never let get a proper run.

Rashford needs to be dropped.

He just does not give a shit. That was a shocking performance. Just incredibly lazy off the ball yet again.
100%

There's surely no way the coaching staff and INEOS think this guy's worth the investment and time at this point? We need to sell him asap. It's a damn shame we didn't seem to want to get him out the door in the summer, but he's probably the player in the squad that pisses me off the most with how he's playing and how brain dead his performances are.

We really have to move him on and the attack will benefit from the replacement. Garnacho is worth the investment of time, money and coaching. Rashford needs the bullet at this point.

Garnacho Hojlund and Amad clearly deserve their place as first or 2nd choice players. None of the other attackers are close.

Rashford and Antony have to be sold with two replacements coming in that can score and assist goals. Zirkzee can be the backup striker which is the only thing he will ever be with his lack of intensity.

Garnacho Hojlund Starting RW
Experienced LW Zirkzee Amad

This front 6 could do alot better next season than the current 6 attackers, which includes Rashford and Antony.

A draw away to Fernarbache is ok, it’s type of match even peak United might have lost.

But Ten Hag really is doing odd things. Zirkzee isn’t a striker. Had a chance today to play him as a 10, what does ETH do? Put a RB there.

Don’t get what Amad has done. Seems some players ETH will never let get a proper run.
Yeah it was quite strange this. Dont know why he wouldnt play Zirkzee there given that was the purpose of buying him, and let Rashford have a run up top if you wanted - then he could have played Amad or Antony from the right.

Longest 90 minutes of my life. Absolutely dire, uninspired, low energy BS. And that was just the manager.

Starting Mazraoui as a 10 tells you everything you need to know about King Erik, utterly bizarre . . .

Decent result for a mid table team away in the Europa League.

Wait.

I think the only way we win silverware this year is if city gets stripped of its past titles, cups and it gets awarded to us.

Its ego. He tried to prove that he is a genious by starting Mazraoui at number 10 when he has plenty of other attacking options. Poor man just waiting to be sacked.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Drew against a mid team from Turkey. We're back!

Worst performance in a long long time.
I don’t think Bruno would have added much . This is our level now lead by a manager who wouldn’t get a job with any PL team I reckon

I care nothing about the Tier 2 competition. The match against West Ham on Saturday is make or break ETH.

Expected us to lose. We ended up with a draw. It’s good I guess?

I don’t think anyone is surprised anymore. We’ve been in midtable form for a good 65+ games now judging by our cumulative goal difference over that period and PPG. The unlikely outcome is for us to suddenly show serious top 4 form.

We’ve got a tough run towards the end of the year. Till then, we’ll maintain a 1.3-1.5 PPG across all competitions. Good for midtable, a fair representation of our level right now.

I'm starting to hate this manager. I can't fathom how Antony is ahead of Amad now. Maz decision was just strange.

What's really sad is his transfers might cost us a few years to get back competing.

Like Porto away in the previous matchday it isn't so much the result that pisses me off immensely, but rather the manner by which we arrived at it.

I still have no idea how we managed to beat City in the Cup final last season. Insipid from top to bottom.

Pretty sure it will if we get beat comprehensively.
Depends what's INEOS's definition of "comprehensive".

These days I wouldn't be surprised if we lost by 4-0 and they still don't lift a finger.

Rashford needs to be dropped.

He just does not give a shit. That was a shocking performance. Just incredibly lazy off the ball yet again.
Wild to say that when he was dropping back to RB to cover for Dalot who went bombing up the field to be an option for the pass.

Can someone explain to me how Amad cannot get on the field with Bruno out of the game and we play Mazraui as a 10? How Antony gets on the field before him? He was absolutely fuming when getting ready to come on and only getting a few minutes in this game. WTF did Garnacho play whole 90 min? Sub him off at least at 60 minutes, same as Rashford.

Same as usual, start watching with hope and anticipation before my attention drifts elsewhere when I realised nothing will change.

Our goal per game output is alarming, when did we become so poor in front of goal

I’ve never seen a United game with the ball in the air so much. I actually don’t think we have the capabilities to keep the ball on the ground. We’re so bad it’s hard to describe.

I care nothing about the Tier 2 competition. The match against West Ham on Saturday is make or break ETH.
Great. So if we play shite that doesn't matter because it's in the EL, but if we play shite in the PL that matters. The thing is, EL should be a very important competition as it would add a nice amount of money to our budget. We needed every penny as things don't look good lately. We recorded a record annual loss last year, and even with the good revenue we're still in possible PSR and FFP trouble.

Sometimes in games we do good things, like yesterday there were large parts of good play that were ruined by a poor final pass or poor choice.
Then we seem to defend alright but then 1 or 2 stupid mistakes or laziness costs us. Just seems like the team itself is weak mentally.
Interesting that Benni said recently that if we played how we trained we’d destroy everyone but game day comes along and it’s like what just happened.

We still need a proper midfield. Don’t like to agree with Savage but he said it right, no dynamism.

I really hope this is the last season with lindelof in the team.

He basically summarises where the club is at. How underachievers are just allowed to hang around for years and years on end.

Yeah it was quite strange this. Dont know why he wouldnt play Zirkzee there given that was the purpose of buying him, and let Rashford have a run up top if you wanted - then he could have played Amad or Antony from the right.
Since when was Zirkzee bought to play as a #10? Never heard anything other than that he was bought to play striker. Which is what he is, just not a very successful one at United so far. Just because he's good at link-up play and passing, that doesn't mean he's a #10, or would do well at that role.

I missed the game because of travel. Was Rashford really that lazy again? If so, ETH has to take action and not start him next game, but he won't.

Yuck.

He didn't look any lazier, or worse, than our other attackers to me. It was a poor game all round, attacking-wise. Garnacho brightened up a little when Højlund was brought on, but that soon died out too.

There’s been some encouraging signings, Onana, Hojlund, DeLigt, Martinez then it feels like daylight.

Signing mid level Eredevise players is right on ETH shoulders and that’s indisputable . They are playing at that level and what’s worse is that Rashford plays worse most of the time. There is a desperate need for new tactics and new direction, ETH is what he always was…..a Dutch Solskjaer, maybe not that good. Until he is replaced then expect nothing more than what we are seeing, mid level Eredevise football. End of.

It was an even game and a fair result in the end.

I can't help but think we might have done better with Casemiro and Hojlund starting, or just playing with a back 3 given the players selected to start. I'm really not sold on Zirkzee, I just can't see what he really offers this team. Hopefully he grows into it and just needs a few more months, but I feel I'm being optimistic there. He should be on the bench much more if Hojlund stays fit now.

Regardless, content with the draw and move on. We need to start finishing chances, we have decent fixtures until the next international break. Our remaining Europa games should allow us to qualify for the play-off round at the very least, we really should be winning 4/5 as a minimum when we have home games against PAOK, BODO, and Rangers. Hard to gauge what points the top 8 will need since this is the first time we've used this format, but 15+ is probably a reasonable guess. 5 wins and a draw or 2.

Hopefully we can avoid the additional games.

Haven't we been beaten comprehensively enough times in the last year for any sane person to pull the chord? What's one more?
5-0 and it would be untenable, but yes, anything less I can’t see Ineos pulling any trigger.

I'm quite pleased to walk away with a point in all honesty. Onana and Ugarte really pulled us out of the fire in the first half with amazing stops. On the balance of the game a draw is probably fair but we definitely could have won that game.

They were not very good and were reliant on Maximan to do it all on his own, lucky for him Dalot had an absolutely shocking game again. As others have said I cannot believe how we messed up that 3 v 1 when Dalot was pretty much clean though, he's got to shoot there and if not got just cannot get the cutback wrong with that much time.

Ugarte did well as did Martinez, De Ligt , onana and Garnacho. I absolutely love the spirit Garnacho has it is incredible how much we rely on a kid to create everything for us and he just keeps trying.

On the negative, Dalot, Lindelof and Zirkzee were all dire in the game. Zirkzee mar a couple of good passes but then several thru balls that just went nowhere near the right place.

All in all not a bad point but could have easily been 3.

Very good summary.

Man of the Match

Provisional results
Andre Onana image Andre Onana 68% of 152 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

Provisional results
5.3 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 143 ratings.

Score Predictions