PL D FA Premier League

Crystal Palace 0:0 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Sat, 21 September 2024

This is a Palace side that's in a false position, they'll improve no doubt. And going there has almost always been daunting. We had the crowd quiet for most of the match. It is so rare to see a game like this in the last decade, where United dominate almost from start to finish.
That didn't happen either

GYBT6d-WIAA4VTA

Frustrating game but I would preserver with that forward 3 that started the game. They offer so much interms of their link play.

Totally agree, ETH doesn’t help himself and will ultimately pay the price for refusing the obvious options/choices.

This is why I think ETH is the man before the man but is also the biggest conundrum facing INEOS.

I think ETH during this and next season can get us playing great football, into the top 4, going far in the CL, maybe even title challenge. But his limitations will always be his daft illogical subs that make no sense to the tactical flow of the game. And when/if United peak under ETH it will make the difference better runners up and first etc.

But for INEOS how do they find a manager with the same positives, who plays a similar style of play, but is braver and has a higher in match iq than ETH.

If only Garnacho put away that cross bar miss or if Bruno followed with a shot on frame, this would have been a totally different match.

That first half was the best 45 sustained minutes for an ETH team. I started to think maybe this guy knows what he is doing. But then he takes Zirk off and doesn't take Bruno off and I'm back to wanting a new manager.

It's early but I think we are a better team with Zirk than with Rasmus. I'll bet almost anything, though, ETH will stubbornly stick with Rasmus for most of the season as the main striker. That's SOP with this coach. Stay with Antony too long, stay with Rashford too long and stay with Casemiro too long. I predict he'll stay with Rasmus and Bruno much too long to the detriment of the team.

This starting eleven is 100% our best eleven. Perfect balance of pressing, possession, chances created, and defensive solidarity.

No one on the substitutes bench should be anywhere near starting for us.
Shaw is 100% the best left back we have.
Ugarte should be holding that midfield.
Mount should get Bruno's slot., but will never happen.

Did someone on here say that we should have bought Wharton because by the end of the season he would be a 100mil pound player??
Jesus wept!

Played well, couldn’t score for love nor money. As ever is the curse that an ex United keeper plays out of their skin against us.

Both. I used the stats so you'd have nothing to say.

Nothing to say about what? I assume you're more keen to win an argument than openly view the match that just took place. The commentators were in agreement that United absolutely dominated the first half and the first part of the second half. Erik as well. In terms of chances I think de Ligt had a great chance he should have done better with, Zirkzee had a free header too which he failed to put on target, the ricochet from Garnacho's shot that hit the bar is something Bruno could have done better with, Bruno should have at the very least hit the target from the edge of the box with no one marking him when he chose to go with the outside of his right foot rather than take the shot on in his stride with his left, and as I said here or elsewhere, we lacked both clinical finishing and at times more intelligence in the final third, but we still bossed the majority of that match and a lot of our play was quite easy on the eye.

We have to stop those passing around the defenders wasting far too much time. We should definitely tell Martinez off walking with the ball near the end of the match when we were 0-0. Under SAF, it would be throwing kitchen sink time. This mentality have to change. Passing slowly around backline won't win you matches. Are we playing for a draw against Palace? FFS

We can't rely on Bruno who is erratic, inconsistent, blowing hot and cold. We can see the result, only when Bruno play well we could win. It's sucidal to rely on someone so inconsistent. When he is not playing well, he basically sabotage most of our attacks. He should be dropped. Let's try Mount next game.

I guess I'm broken to some extent but I was really happy with most of that today. Feels like a massive jump forward from last season. Some lovely football, calm, composed, controlled....progress, proper progress.

Me too mate. We were a good watch for most of the game. Obviously need to take our chances but could have walked all over them today. Oh well.

United's tactics clearly surprised Palace in the first 30-35 minutes. Palace didn't know how to deal with the midfield overloads and then Eriksen started drifting into space very wide and sometimes wide and deep to get on the ball and Palace had no early answers for that either. United was dominant but it seemed like dominance manufactured by tactical surprise more than a City-like dominance where the other side knows exactly what they're going to do and just can't stop it.

Once Palace made tactical adjustments, and then the halftime changes, United didn't seem to have another gear or an effective Plan B. The subs clearly didn't work but the side didn't create that many chances from minutes 30-60 so I don't think it was all about the subs.

Very good observation. ETH is so one dimensional. We are not even sure what's our style of play or Plan A, let alone having Plan B to step up a gear like City or Arsenal.

Our football was good against a tricky opponent and venue which has not been kind to us of late.
At this level it all comes down to taking the right decision in the crucial moments and we are still a bit sloppy in that regard offensively and defensively as Palace had fewer but the best chances to win the game.
I cannot fault Erik for the subs he made apart from taking Amad off as he looked our most dangerous player in the second half and it was still scoreless but Marcus, Rasmus and once Alejandro was moved to the right all three of them did feck all!.
All in all an improved performance and let us hope we keep improving.

11th on the table and essentially 6 points off feckin Liverpool already.

The finishing was abysmal. We need another #9.

I like that we look completely different this season. More possession than our opponents, more chances created. Just lacked the clinical touches. But we’re keeping clean sheets. Promising signs

The positive is that finally we have a resemble of proper style of play. We were exciting to watch. Hopefully this can be further developed. No more basketball tactics where we face 30 shots every game. Touch wood, no injuries today.

First time in a very long time it was not boring watching our game. All our summer signings are good. Hope this is the sign of our football structure is fully functioning well. No more square pegs in round hole.

If only Garnacho put away that cross bar miss or if Bruno followed with a shot on frame, this would have been a totally different match.

That first half was the best 45 sustained minutes for an ETH team. I started to think maybe this guy knows what he is doing. But then he takes Zirk off and doesn't take Bruno off and I'm back to wanting a new manager.

It's early but I think we are a better team with Zirk than with Rasmus. I'll bet almost anything, though, ETH will stubbornly stick with Rasmus for most of the season as the main striker. That's SOP with this coach. Stay with Antony too long, stay with Rashford too long and stay with Casemiro too long. I predict he'll stay with Rasmus and Bruno much too long to the detriment of the team.

Agreed. First half was good and we were totally in control away from home. Last time it has felt so (against a top flight team) was against Palace (weaker selection) at home in League cup last season.

MDL was great in defence and the two full backs played very well. Onana made big saves when it mattered when he has been constantly criticised for not doing so. Eriksen and Mainoo linked well in midfield and Zirkzee provided a good option to link play also.

Bruno was awful and should have been pulled off… Casimero higher in midfield with Ugarte deep could have been interesting given Casimero has some scores to settle with Palace.

For once, Eth didn't sub off a CB although with the way Martinez laboured on the ball it was probably more warranted yesterday.

Massive progress. I don't think we can be too displeased.

This year is about drilling what to do so it's instinctive, we are showing good signs.

Nothing to say about what? I assume you're more keen to win an argument than openly view the match that just took place. The commentators were in agreement that United absolutely dominated the first half and the first part of the second half. Erik as well. In terms of chances I think de Ligt had a great chance he should have done better with, Zirkzee had a free header too which he failed to put on target, the ricochet from Garnacho's shot that hit the bar is something Bruno could have done better with, Bruno should have at the very least hit the target from the edge of the box with no one marking him when he chose to go with the outside of his right foot rather than take the shot on in his stride with his left, and as I said here or elsewhere, we lacked both clinical finishing and at times more intelligence in the final third, but we still bossed the majority of that match and a lot of our play was quite easy on the eye.
Exact opposite, I brought to stats to avoid an argument. Anyone who watched the second half would know we did not dominate from start to finish, that's what I meant by that didn't happen. We were unlucky in the first half, and then Palace were unlucky in the second. We looked second best for the last half hour.

I kept thinking of that video of the passing drill just after ETH joined, and you could really see in this game how our play has improved. We looked very composed in possession, press resistant and snappy 1/2 touch passing. Tempo was much better and we played some lovely through balls, if only we have been more clinical.
I don’t have a problem with ETH subs either, may have left Zirkzee on a bit longer but Erik’s changes weren’t ridiculous and we should’ve had more than enough to beat Palace .

Knocked it around well enough, but just not enough goal threat in this team. It's going to kill us this season (again).

We couldnt find a goal but taking zirkzee off for rashford looked like a mistake. Rashford, Hojlund seemed allergetic to first touch football , their inability to play football in tight space changed the game for us, unfortunately it was for the worse, add that to erratic Bruno, he really needs to calm down same thing can be said to Licha, what the feck was that with 2 footed stamp? He couldve seen red and risking the consistency of our back 4 again.

Really enjoyed that first half.
Sure we missed boatload of chances but the improvement is clear to see.
We ditched the chaos ball & counter attacking for proper possession football.

Think this is our best 11 moving forward:

Garnacho - Hojlund
Zirkzee - Amad
Mainoo - Eriksen
Dalot - Martinez - De Ligt - Mazraoui

Hojlund deserves nowhere near the starting line up

Tbf the most positive I have felt about us for a long long time, look like a proper team just lacking that special player that makes the difference. We need someone to step up, it has to be a breakout season from Garnacho, Rasmus or Amad if not Rashford in 2022/23 again and then we might have a respectable season.

We had plenty of chances, but it was obvious Hendo would have a worldie against us, the game raising twunt.

True, but I also think our attackers are just not clinical enough in general. Obviously it's tough these days to get real top quality, reliable attackers, they would cost you 100m each. We have a bunch of promising young attackers and I like them all but as an overall unit right now, I don't think there's enough goals in us.

I’d rather Amad in Bruno’s position, with Garnacho and Rashford on the wings.

Garnacho is a different player coming off the right.

I’d also be curious to see if Zirkzee can play slightly deeper to link up with Holjund. I doubt it.

Agree last 30 mins was diabolical.
Last 15 was just defence passing sideways and backwards. Do the players not want to try get the win?
Attacking play went out of the window when Rashford replaced Zirkzee.
I’m very critical of Rashford but I don’t think it’s his fault. We took off Zirkzee, Amad and Eriksen who are our three best players on the ball. And put on Ugarte, Rashford and Holjund who all need the chances created for them.

The manager needs more time to put him players/team together. Trust the process.

Well, some manager can hit the road with the same squad, in the middle of season, by winning Champions League.

Ours, after 2-3 seasons, is still learning on the job.

Nevertheless, ETH is still better than Moyes, without putting 100 cross into the box.

I’m very critical of Rashford but I don’t think it’s his fault. We took off Zirkzee, Amad and Eriksen who are our three best players on the ball. And put on Ugarte, Rashford and Holjund who all need the chances created for them.
Yeah. The creativity up front was quickly dry up with Rashgord, Hojlund, and Garnacho as front three.

There are clear signs of our football improving so far this season despite what the many doomsayers will say.. If we can keep playing the football that we have been so far then I think we'll be in for a shout of top 4 come the latter stages of the season. We just need to start putting some of these chances away and we'll come good.

There are obviously negatives within the team currently as well which is why we likely won't be anywhere close to challenging but given our state last season, we're improving without a doubt! (This is my opinion before anyone wants to cry about it). I'm wanting to keep a positive mindset this season.

I'd give this a go. I love Bruno but he could use a wake up call. Even it's Eriksen in his role with Ugarte/Mainoo behind.

He's far too comfortable and that's never good, feels absolutely zero pressure for his place whatsoever. Without doubt a worse feeling than the defeats to Brighton and scousers

We started well and should have been up 2-0 within 20 minutes. Had we scored one we would have scored few more. Then we easily could have lost the game.

Deserved to win it but we need to figure out how to finish!

Good post

Player Ratings

6.1 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 235 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Crystal Palace win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 31% Crystal Palace 1:2 Man Utd