PL L FA Premier League

Brighton & Hove Albion 2:1 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Sat, 24 August 2024

Got worse the longer the game went on. Thought we started bright, Mount was key to a lot of good stuff we did. He went off and we lost all organisation off the ball.

Bruno went off and we lost any threat in behind. There was only one team going to win it by the end.

You want Arsenal to rip them to shreds? That could very well cost us top 4 at the end of this season.
How would it? You aren't seriously suggesting that we are competing with Arsenal? They will be competing with City for the title once again, whilst we're going to be fighting to achieve third or fourth.

Maguire should have cleared at least 1 of the 2 crosses for the first goal

Garnacho should have finished his chance better not knocked it into Zirkzee

2nd goal Lisandro and Dalot should didnt reset into actual positions from their corner position quick enough. The set piece had broken down but they regained the ball and put a 2nd cross in, and the players who were in that area from the set piece left the area without the LCB and Left Back reverting to their normal positions. So Brighton had multiple players at the back post for that cross and we didnt have anyone defending it. Very poor

Need to see more footage of the 2nd goal, but Lisandro is fairly close to the player crossing the ball no idea where Dalot is and not sure who were the players who vacated the left back area where they were positioned during the set piece, but I believe Casemiro is one of the ones who pushes out after the initial ball thinking we're going to break or something.

Edit- McTominay is on the post, then comes out and goes into the middle and the ball goes over him to the leftback area. Casemiro is indeed the other player who moves forward thinking we're able to break. And Antony? loses the ball allowing the cross
Thank you for looking at that. I was wondering exactly this.

Extremely frustrating.

Should have been clear if Amad had put away his chance and/or not messed up the 3 v 2 in the first. Again we are better, and have better control, in the first. Gave away way too many counters and so unlucky with our second.

Play is generally not that bad, but we seem to be making the strong decisions too often in the decisive moments.

Yeah this is pretty much it, the more histrionic posters might be crying more of the same, but it's very different - we were well on top in the first half, recovered well in the second, and would have gone ahead if not for the unluckiest offside we'll see all season.

We did not deserve to lose that. Smash and grab from those cnuts, who turn up every. single. time. against us.

Shout out to Pawson who protected their players.

I can see the improvement in our play - we weren't poor, those twats got lucky, especially with our disallowed goal.

I hope Arsenal rip them to shreds next week. Fecking chancers.

When are we going to turn up? It's about time, yes?

Kindergarten mistakes back and front, no brains on the pitch, PlayStation subs...

You'd like to fool yourselves that it will get better, but i sincerely doubt this engine and driver can step it up and find 2-3 missing gears in the course of the season.

I'd say that a draw would've been a fair result, but the last section of the match - when we dropped deeper and kept feeding the ball to Garancho to make something happen as if he's prime Hazard, - in which we reverted once more to playing like an expensive Moyes side made me think otherwise. Fair play to Brighton for sticking to their plan.

I’m not sure why I’m surprised. We had so many games like that last season. I’ve never enjoyed watching United less than this. I can’t watch a team that constantly capitulates late in games. It ruins your weekend.

Nothing has changed.
We're a mid table team and the moment we played another mid table team (Brighton), we got beat.
Unfortunately, this is our level.

I said this a few months ago - the manager has to go. He doesn't have the nous necessary to win in the EPL. I have nothing against ETH - he simply isn't good enough at this level.
The German league might suit him.

Many won’t agree with me but this loss is on the manager. Persisting with Rashford and taking Mount off lost us the game.

Questionable decisions:

- Unchanged team when Garnacho at least should've started.
- Mount our best player coming off at HT.
- Subbing Bruno when he's one of our only players with the energy for 90 minutes and ability to create.

In general I thought we played fairly well but we're offside so so often and have too many brainless moments in defence

Interesting game and interesting result. I think, the loss is somewhat ok, a draw would reflect the game slightly better I guess. We played again really well in first 40 minutes and then I don't know what happened?

Stamina running out?
Adjustments to our own game plan?
Bright adjusting their game plan?
Bringing off Mount?

It is so odd - because in 2nd half it looked like last seasons United once again. Subs were alright I guess, until fecking McTominay. I mean, lets face it, he has something on ETH so he was always going to feature but for Bruno!? Bad choice. Overall, bad afternoon for most players, I think, Mount did really well in his stint, Dalot was really good overall, my Motm but apart from that? Brighton is a good team and I think we really challengend them in the beginning but as soon as we dropped deeper, they flourished - and while they are susceptible to counters, I think it would have been better to keep doing what we did in 1st half. Thats the way forward.

Didn’t deserve to lose but we’re still so soft.
Embarassing defending for their winner

The defending (lack of) for that 2nd goal was comical. the ball was never away from our goal from the corner, where did everyone go? CLOWNS

Hard not to feel this is our bogey team. Honestly, we were decent in spells today and didn't deserve to lose on the overall balance of play. A point would have been fair. There were some positives to take from the game, as difficult as it is to see them now. We had good spells during the match and got unlucky with the disallowed goal.

But we can't look past the fact that the dreadful habit of conceding late goals is still with us. If you cant win, at least don't lose, as the saying goes. Today we could have been coming home with a bit of optimism, but that late goal kills any. That weak mentality still seems to be with us.

I just have to hope that our performances will keep on an upward trajectory and that the end product will come afterwards. But I'm not looking forward to our next home game now.
It’s horrible when we’re drawing a game with half hour to ago. It always feels 50/50 whether we’ll score or concede. Not lethal enough going forward and suicidal at the back. Never a good combo.

And we are BACK!

Only ETH's united could conspire to lose that game, just terrible. Our press in the last 30 mins was like last season, 5 men running at the keeper and one simple pass to take them all out.

So callow, so soft, so easy to play against. Both goals an absolute mess.

As for our 'disallowed' goal, I guess since football has gone into categorising everything that any touch from an offside position is offside, whereas you'd like to see if only be offside if the team gets a discernible advantage from it. I thought that was what it used to be? I dunno.

Could and perhaps should have been 6 points from 2, instead 3 from 2 with Liverpool up next. There's absolutely nothing different in today's United performance compared to last year.
That would have been disallowed, if seem, since offside was first introduced

I’m so cross I have switched off the TV and will ignore football all weekend.
FFS that game was there for the taking.

Nothing has changed. Didn’t need a crystal ball to see what that shocking non-marking would result in.

Watching United is uninspiring. We press more cohesively when we have the right personnel for it. However, our aim seems to be to grind teams down and we make hard work of that at the best of times.

The subs today made us worse. Removing Bruno was genuinely baffling. Not sure who was meant to be responsible for creating chances for our forwards after that point. Nobody did.

We have to stop conceding the easiest goals. Both goals were largely preventable with less brainlessness back there.

Thought we were okay collectively, but some poor individual displays just keep us looking quite blunt going forward.

On another day we nick the win without Zirkzee’s knee or Garnacho’s timid shot, but I don’t think either team deserved the win. 1-1 would’ve been the right result.
Agree with this take. We seem to be better set up generally, but individual mistakes or lapses of concentration have been pretty clinically punished. Our attackers have been individually poor so far, Mount aside. A lot of work to do in the season.

Deserved loss and anyone who says otherwise has no knowledge of football.

This young Brighton lad doesn’t even have a CV, probably earns ETHs monthly salary in a full year, has key injuries and still manages to get more out of an average team.

The Dutch once more proves he is a below average coach.

This double false 9 seems like a wannabe Pep move from ETH

Whats the alternative? Who are we playing upfront who is prepared to press like Mount and Bruno?

We were worse today after half time.

Threw a point away at the end with poor defending. I think we did enough to at least get a draw and we were desperately unlucky to have what would have been our 2nd goal ruled out (Deja vu form last season).

This now adds more pressure to next weeks big game.

You can say we were unlucky, but our attacking play is still very poor, same as last season. At the end of the day if you can't score nothing else matters. We can't create anything unless we have tons of space for our wide players, who are extremely wasteful.

Interesting game and interesting result. I think, the loss is somewhat ok, a draw would reflect the game slightly better I guess. We played again really well in first 40 minutes and then I don't know what happened?

Stamina running out?
Adjustments to our own game plan?
Bright adjusting their game plan?
Bringing off Mount?

It is so odd - because in 2nd half it looked like last seasons United once again. Subs were alright I guess, until fecking McTominay. I mean, lets face it, he has something on ETH so he was always going to feature but for Bruno!? Bad choice. Overall, bad afternoon for most players, I think, Mount did really well in his stint, Dalot was really good overall, my Motm but apart from that? Brighton is a good team and I think we really challengend them in the beginning but as soon as we dropped deeper, they flourished - and while they are susceptible to counters, I think it would have been better to keep doing what we did in 1st half. Thats the way forward.

We do look worse when mount comes off he gives us energy and closes players down. The problem with him and Bruno in there we lack a striker. Casemiro and mainoo is not a good combination if they require mount and Bruno to keep us from being over ran in midfield.

Taking bruno off was a very dumb call. What on earth was he thinking

I'd really wished that it worked out for Ten Hag, but I don't really see it.I'm not even frustrated anymore, I really just wish this to end.And I think that after 11 dreadful years it's about time.I mean... What the feck!

Improvement over last season where we got outplayed. Should have at least gotten a draw here.

The substitution was abysmal.

Probably deserved to win but at least we have improved from last season as we lost 3-1 here last year. Hag v Slot next week, perfect game to get us back on track.

Desperately need a midfielder to take some pressure off Mainoo / Case. Both were gassed.
Set piece defending for their second was nothing short of appalling.
Need a result next week now

We started well, pressured them and caused them to lose possession and unable to build from the back. The lack of a focal point in the team is very obvious.
My concern is that we are looking good at the start of games due to having Mount as an extra body in the middle. We will not see that positive effect once we play with a striker. Also we need a midfielder. Case and Mainoo start well but fade once we get to 60-70min. Doesnt make sense we are going into the season with a 32 yo and a 19 yo as our only options.

This double false 9 seems like a wannabe Pep move from ETH
We needed to sign an out and out striker. Zirkzee is useful, but you will not get the output we require from him. Hojlund to come back, but how long will it take for him to get up and running. There are some good things, but unless Mount was injured why take him off, Bruno off, leaving Rashford so long. Very odd.

Winning fa cup saved the managers ass last season. He is still shit with his subs

Player Ratings

5.2 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 228 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Brighton win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 30% Brighton 1:2 Man Utd
  • 18% Brighton 1:1 Man Utd