PL L FA Premier League

Brighton & Hove Albion 2:1 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Sat, 24 August 2024

Don’t understand why he didn’t start De Ligt , don’t understand why he started Rashford. Don’t understand why he took off Mount.

But lots of positives in the performance it’s up to the manager to play the right players.

Well my pre season excitement and hopes have gone up in smoke already, that was very average Brighton side and we were happy to play very slow defensive football for most of it.

ETH needs to start to get us playing more positively otherwise we’ll struggle and he’ll be gone soon enough.

3 points lost. Shocking defending on last goal. Wierd subs. Masters of own destuction.

Same old. Toothless in attack. Weak in midfield and seen sunday league sides with better defence nouse. This club is going nowhere under Ten Hag. Should be sacked alone for signing Onana and Antony. What is Onana good at? Can’t save anything. Takes about 10 minutes to distribute the ball. Absolute waste of space

Last edited:
Said it last week. Say hello to the new boss, same as the old boss. This team is as soft as cotton. Oh, and the substitutions were diabolical.

The defending for the winning goal was shockingly bad…. How can a team be all back defending in added time and leave attackers so wide open? It’s literally amateur defending. Question is, who is to blame?

Thought we played well for periods there, we are missing a striker for sure but overall I don't think we deserved to come away with nothing.

Two poor goals conceded though.

Very frustrating loss. Draw felt like the right result coming near the end, until we shit ourselves at the back.

Feel bad for Zirkzee

Why don't we play football until the final whistle. One of the worst goals I've ever seen us concede

to leave a striker with so much space in the box at anytime of a match, let alone injury time. if thats not bad coaching / management i dont know what is. a well drilled outfit should never be doing that.

It was 2 mistakes, firstly Adringa getting so much space initially, and then there were 2 free at the far post. This is from a corner in added on time! Beyond schoolboy

Maguire should have cleared at least 1 of the 2 crosses for the first goal

Garnacho should have finished his chance better not knocked it into Zirkzee

2nd goal Lisandro and Dalot should didnt reset into actual positions from their corner position quick enough. The set piece had broken down but they regained the ball and put a 2nd cross in, and the players who were in that area from the set piece left the area without the LCB and Left Back reverting to their normal positions. So Brighton had multiple players at the back post for that cross and we didnt have anyone defending it. Very poor

Need to see more footage of the 2nd goal, but Lisandro is fairly close to the player crossing the ball no idea where Dalot is and not sure who were the players who vacated the left back area where they were positioned during the set piece, but I believe Casemiro is one of the ones who pushes out after the initial ball thinking we're going to break or something.

Edit- McTominay is on the post, then comes out and goes into the middle and the ball goes over him to the leftback area. Casemiro is indeed the other player who moves forward thinking we're able to break. And Antony? loses the ball allowing the cross

Two pieces of schoolboy defending cost us that game. The space on the second goal with 3 Brighton players lining up unmarked in the box and no united player within 10 yds is just shocking. Every united defender ran to the ball.
Those two goals aside we did enough for a point if not 3. A game thrown away.

That offside goal was tragic.

Ref was really generous to Brighton little fouls all over the pitch

Subs didn’t really work. Mount press was missed in the second half.

Annoying that he bought on all the new guys and we went and lost. Not a good look for "progression".

Anyway in this day and age where only 90+ points wins a league and 70+ for Top 4, based on these first two games alone and the chances and goals scored I am officially writing us out of Top 4 already.

Brighton bogey continues against United.

Real frustrating loss, a draw on the balance of play probably would be the right result but the Garnacho offside proved a turning point and then to concede the winner in the 5th minute of added from truly woeful defending.

Annoyed because I thought we did well. The all-round play is improving on last season we're passing it round well

Not clinical enough in attack and for the second week in a row when Mount went off we seemed to lose shape and it becomes an open game

fecking annoying that.

This game showed how misguided our transfer window has been.

This team desperately needed two midfielders and a striker. Mainoo and Casemiro were shot after 70mins and obviously we couldn’t trust Eriksen or Collyer to come on for them.

Zirkzee scored last game but myself and many others said the last thing this team needed was a false 9 doing his best work outside the box. He came on and did nothing and was barely a threat. We don’t have the luxury of having that type of striker now.

Feel like there's some positives to take with the way we go forward. Overall though a lot of the same problems. Still too early to judge

We weren't as easy to play through unlike last season, but we look meek up front, and lost momentum after the disallowed goal. Not sure about taking off Bruno against a line that high with a Garnacho who was relatively fresh on the pitch.

Awful result so soon into the season.

Goalscoring is gonna be a massive problem for us just like last year

Weird game. We could have won and Brighton are very good. We still lack ideas and need Ugarte to toughen up the midfield. But that far post goal was just amateur. Don't think we need to panic yet.

Absolutely gutted. Horrible way to lose a game. Luck wasn't on our side for the offside goal and gave away two goals due to non-existent defending.

I thought the performance overall was ok, but I don’t see how the starting lineup is sustainable. Very unlucky with the offside, and should have played for a point after that.

Said it to my brother as soon as that Bruno sub was made, we would not win this game & unsurprisingly we never laid a glove on them in final 3rd when it did happen. Absolutely baffling decision by Ten Hag.

Defending for both goals were absolutely awful. Can’t defend against crosses into our box yet again. Defensive errors everywhere.

Same shit, different year. Get the shortlists drawn up for after we give it to Ruud at Christmas.

Where was Dalot on the second goal?

It looks like we lacked cohesion going forward people didn't know if to run or come to the ball.

Seems everyone stood so far apart no real short passing, relying purely on wingers. Strange game.

I think De Ligt would have blocked the first goal where Maguire left a lazy leg out. The second I put on Dalot for being absolutely nowhere.

Despite all the comings and goings in defence, two unmarked players 5 yards from goal just about sums up where our defensive organisation is. Blame all the bad luck you can, but we are our own worse enemy and I'm afraid I am not seeing the 'progress' others are!

Player Ratings

5.2 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 228 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Brighton win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 30% Brighton 1:2 Man Utd
  • 18% Brighton 1:1 Man Utd