PL L FA Premier League

Brighton & Hove Albion 2:1 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Sat, 24 August 2024

How did we lose that game? For feck sake. Just let them win it at the end.

I honestly just think we have a manager who isn't very bright. He doesn't learn from his mistakes and only really knows how to make excuses.

I mean hell... a greek side AEK put 3 goals into this Brighton last season.
This is why us losing to Brighton so often is so frustrating. They’ll go and get thumped by Bournemouth next weekend, yet twice a season against us they turn into Bilbao 2012

11 goals conceded in added time since the start of last season. Absolutely shocking stuff.

Why don't we play football until the final whistle. One of the worst goals I've ever seen us concede
Standard ETH losing a lead, he’s a f….expert at it just won £500 by putting £20 at £25/1 for Brighton to win in 90th minute standard ETH so easy to win cash out of this clown.

Casemiro can not start in that team, Mason Mount was excellent and we took him off when he was fantastic, right now if we are going to play a 4231 compact formation we need to drop Rashford, play Mount on the left and start Garnaucho on the right, this time we’ve seen this all before from ETH teams, if he doesn’t figure it out in the first 10 PL games and has at least 20 points he’ll be gone!

Three transfer windows is more than enough time to get it right, ETH needs to start figuring out how to see out games, I seriously give him 9 more games if he’s got 12-13 points after 10 games. He’s gone !

We concede silly goals, it just keeps happening, Fulham were terrible and Brighton were just ok yet they managed to to make things happen, a good team like Arsenal or City will demolish this team unless EtH parks the bus.

We never looked like losing and yet I'm not suprised.
Liverpool next,pressure is already on the manager.

Didn't deserve to lose to be honest, annoying thing is that Brighton weren't great.

There are small signs of improvement though we need to be better with our subs.

Rashford need binned.
If we can't beat this level of competition, we're not competing for the league. Not this season or the next.
Still early but I don't see ETH lasting past the new year.

Every substitution made us noticeably worse, which is really impressive when you have 5 subs so can easily fix your own mistakes rather than keep msking new ones.

We were a goal down at half time but the performance was fine. Second half was a mess. We got the goal and it knitted everything back together for a bit but then we made the bonkers Bruno/Rashford subs which was ridiculous and juat handed the momentum back to them again. They just kept running down that side with ease

Too many times ETH doesn't seem to have any understanding of when the opposition are on top or why.

Probably unlucky to lose overall but hard to justify that line of argument when all our issues are self inflicted

Lost to a team fielding Millner and Welbeck after spending what is it now 500 millio pounds the last three seasons?

The two goals were shocking bits of defending and absolutely suck. But we lost that game in attack. We are so toothless still - was the same against Fulham and repeated here. The little we do create is finished terribly.

Depressing.

Eh not all bad.

Couple poor individual performances (Amad) and mistakes (Maguire) cost us but that’s to be expected for now, turning over the squad will take 2-3 more years. For now, we still ship a few too many (though I think that’ll improve this season) and score far too few

On the flip side, I still thought our tactics weren’t right when in possession. We didn’t find the space in behind their high line - wingers were offside too often

We did not deserve to lose that. Smash and grab from those cnuts, who turn up every. single. time. against us.

Shout out to Pawson who protected their players.

I can see the improvement in our play - we weren't poor, those twats got lucky, especially with our disallowed goal.

I hope Arsenal rip them to shreds next week. Fecking chancers.

you should watch the match again

Also special mention to Antony for trying to showboat when we had 1 fecking minute remaining to equalise. Kobbie rightly gave him a bollocking

We have a clear plan A at the moment and Mount does a great job of pressing high, it means we're good in open play in the first two thirds. The dilemma is we don't look like scoring without the striker in there.

So twice in two games we've then removed the false 9 and put a striker on where we've created more chances but lost control of the game. In this shootout mode we'll win some and lose some.

It was Maguire's error that cost for first goal, and Dalot being nowhere near his position for the 2nd goal conceded. This has nothing to do with attack or the attacking lineup, so it's ultimately on Ten Hag for not starting De Ligt in this tough match in my opinion.

He was right to bring Garnacho on for Rashford this time and that seemed to have worked. But the McTominay for Bruno substitution was surprising seeing that usually he replaces Mainoo or Casemiro for more legs to end the game.

We lost all control of the ball in midfield and attack, and Ten Hags credit will run low very quickly this season if he fails to find the right balance between not conceding and scoring goals.

The positive is we tried to win this game and weren't too defensive from the start of the game away from home, the negative for me is that our plan B isn't good enough without Hojlund, or Ten Hag didn't pull off the Plan B today with his substitutions.

What pissed me off today was seeing Bruno smirking as he was brought off, and again when we conceded to make it 2.1, feck that guy if he's somehow pleased we lost because he got taken off. It might have been the wrong call in the game to take him off but he was having a poor performance so gave Ten Hag the decision to make.

The Liverpool game is more important to now get the 3 points in.

Standard ETH losing a lead, he’s a f….expert at it just won £500 by putting £20 at £25/1 for Brighton to win in 90th minute standard ETH so easy to win cash out of this clown.

Casemiro can not start in that team, Mason Mount was excellent and we took him off when he was fantastic, right now if we are going to play a 4231 compact formation we need to drop Rashford, play Mount on the left and start Garnaucho on the right, this time we’ve seen this all before from ETH teams, if he doesn’t figure it out in the first 10 PL games and has at least 20 points he’ll be gone!

Three transfer windows is more than enough time to get it right, ETH needs to start figuring out how to see out games, I seriously give him 9 more games if he’s got 12-13 points after 10 games. He’s gone !
"Fan". Should be banned for this :lol:

Imagine spending 150 million every season to just be in the top 4 race. We're a joke

Don't forget the 1 billion or so we spent the last 12 yrs. We should just get rid of Ashworth/Berrarda/Wilcox/ETH/RVN.

Rashford is finished. We must drop the left flank and pack the bloody midfield vs Liverpool. When is Shaw back? Dalot atrocious for the Brighton winner. Ten Hag needs to be taught game management. Felt like the Galatasary 3-3 again at the end. Farcical openness once again. I'm getting sick of this.

Dalot currently motm, where was he on the 2nd Brighton goal. That’s his position along with Martinez and 3 Brighton players unmarked.

Two news players costed us today.

1)
Zirkzee absolutely had to lift his knee instead of staying down at Garnacho's finish. Thereby he hit the ball and was offside. Had Zirkzee not tried to stand up again, the ball would not have been able to hit him. Maybe Zirkzee is unlucky here, but he costs a goal by standing up in the path of the ball, and he should have been able to foresee that Garnacho would shoot on goal.
2)
De Ligt rushes forward towards the ball instead of marking the attacker. It was a clear mistake by him, as 2-3 other United players already tried to do the same. Therefore, Pedro could stand completely unmarked.

The two goals were shocking bits of defending and absolutely suck. But we lost that game in attack. We are so toothless still - was the same against Fulham and repeated here. The little we do create is finished terribly.

Depressing.
Our priority should be binning Rashy and replacing him with a top attacker. Extremely unlikely. Long season ahead.

It’s the hope that kills you. So much wrong today - starting 11, defensive howlers, lack of creativity, subs and timing of subs. Groundhog Day. I hate football (again).

to leave a striker with so much space in the box at anytime of a match, let alone injury time. if thats not bad coaching / management i dont know what is. a well drilled outfit should never be doing that.
i think it’s difficult to coach those common basics into players, how can someone like Casemiro sit in the middle of the box while there are two players free back post

I don’t really get why we have never tried Eriksen as backup for Bruno in the CAM position. I feel like with Mount and Bruno subbed you need someone else for the creativity and passing. There also seemed to be a loot of space to exploit.

I kinda feel like we chickened out a bit there in the end where Brighton seemed to be the only team that wanted to go for a win and we seemed to just hold on for 1 point.

I agree it wasn't good but can't deny as a team we looked a lot worse when he went off. I don't even think we had an attack
Our system relies on two midfielders to press the centre backs. As it stands even with two strikers, they wouldn't start.

Rashford shouldn't start anymore.

Eric Ten Hag Special

Can't score goals and can't stop them from scoring. We can spend 150 mil every August and he'll still roll out the same shyte.

BHA looked better organized, faster, more confident, and having more fun.

MU body language throughout the game was one of frustration, irritation. Rashford throwing his arms up in the air every time a bad pass was made.

We were bullied for much of the match.

ETH now 2-5-0 against BHA (1-5-0 in PL, and the FA Cup win went to penalties). He is 1-2 against Potter, 1-2 against DeZerbi, 0-1 now against Hurzeler.

2023/2024 Squad cost and rank:
1. Manchester United – £992million
16. Brighton – £204million

Fecking tired of the excuses and consolations.

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result.

In obviously annoyed we lost, but more importantly, I'm looking for whether we have improved, and so far, against Fulham and Brighton, we've certainly showed that.

People may say, it's only Fulham and Brighton, but last season, we were conceding chances left, right and centre.

I think, what let us down today was our attack. I still believe we haven't a strong enough attack to hurt teams. McCoist said we were toothless, and its probably the right word to describe us at the moment.

With that being said, on another day, we'd be walking away with a win. The offside killed us.

We never looked like losing and yet I'm not suprised.
Liverpool next,pressure is already on the manager.
If the pressure does intensify on him this early, we will then see if this board is ruthless or will just let this season die out as well. We cannot keep relying on winning a cup to get Europe.

The worst part is that in ETH's third season we still don't know how to keep hold of the ball and control the game in the last 15-20 minutes of the game. Onana keeps hoofing it fwd, the opposition keeps winning the ball and attacking us. When the feck is that going to change? How many more players does he need do the basics right? It's so frustrating watching us just give the impetus to the opposition and pray for a fecking draw.

Didn't we hire a new set piece coach this season? Defending on that corner alone is worth an early sack
We don't even seem to do well on attacking corners, don't know what they are practicing tbh...

Build up play is way too slow. The lack of a target man is concerning and lack of opposition awareness in the defence is an immense weakness.

Well that was frustrating. A solid away performance that looked like we’ve won it with some great football. Incredibly unlucky to have it chalked off by a random set of circumstances.

Structure was good, but we’ve conceded two goals which both come down to players just not doing some basic defending.

Definitely feels like we’re different and better set up than last season. Result is a painful one though.

I think, what let us down today was our attack.
The two goals we conceded were Sunday league defending. I can’t believe how many CB’s we’ve signed in the last 4 years and we’re still seeing that brainless lump Maguire stink it up at the back.

Player Ratings

5.2 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 228 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Brighton win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 30% Brighton 1:2 Man Utd
  • 18% Brighton 1:1 Man Utd