PL L FA Premier League

Brighton & Hove Albion 2:1 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Sat, 24 August 2024

I wouldn't worry about this result. Just fine margins. Much much better performances so far this season then last year. Marked improvement.

We will be in top 4 race.
Imagine spending 150 million every season to just be in the top 4 race. We're a joke

I mean hell... a greek side AEK put 3 goals into this Brighton last season.

We have to stop conceding the easiest goals. Both goals were largely preventable with less brainlessness back there.

Thought we were okay collectively, but some poor individual displays just keep us looking quite blunt going forward.

On another day we nick the win without Zirkzee’s knee or Garnacho’s timid shot, but I don’t think either team deserved the win. 1-1 would’ve been the right result.

We have no control of a game and I’m now thinking Ugarte is not going to be the answer. We need an Odegaard or De Bruyne type of midfielder who can dictate they play.

Zirkzee could’ve done sh*t with it. He had to slide to try and reach it. Garnacho should’ve buried it. It was unfortunate for us and completely killed our momentum. Had it been given offside, we may have continued to pile on the pressure. The VAR disallow deflated our momentum.

No complaints , from the last 10 minutes or so only one team played like really wanted the win and they did win it.

Two amateur hour goals conceded which is typical of us.

And the usual ifs' , would of's , could of's that we have been living on for years now.

Liverpool next week , this season could unravel very quickly.

There was nothing unlucky about today , our defending was not unlucky it was just atrocious.

The only thing we have to contend with is how much damage Ten Hag does before he goes. Everything between now and then is a filler. He lost us this game and will lose us more unnecessary ones, with his baffling decisions and game management.

This game showed how misguided our transfer window has been.

This team desperately needed two midfielders and a striker. Mainoo and Casemiro were shot after 70mins and obviously we couldn’t trust Eriksen or Collyer to come on for them.

Zirkzee scored last game but myself and many others said the last thing this team needed was a false 9 doing his best work outside the box. He came on and did nothing and was barely a threat. We don’t have the luxury of having that type of striker now.
We also just appear to have 'backed the manager' again when the last 1.5 seasons suggest he isn't good enough

Tick Tok ETH…taking Bruno and Mount off was criminal…i don’t care about people saying “but we had more possession” “we are playing better than last season”
Goals are all that matter, and we were poor up front. Moments team and that’s all.

Mount was helping us control possession. Unless he was injured, that's a terrible substitution by the manager.

Playing with no striker for most of the game was pure hubris. Who does he think we are?

Aside from the obvious stuff about us. I thought van Hecke was excellent for them. I know our goal came off him but there wasn’t much he could do. Played superbly otherwise.

Can we bench Rashford and maguire now. My word….

Bruno mainoo and case
amad zirkzee garna

This experiment is shite

Second goal was appallingly bad from our perspective. As soon as the cross was half way towards its target and you saw the free Pedro with yards of space, you just knew it was going straight into the net.

I felt the game had plenty of positives until the second offside goal gets ruled out, Bruno is mysteriously swapped for McTominay and we end up camping in our box.

Literally snatched defeat from the jaws of victory.

Like our players think it's inevitable the opposition will score in added time or when there's 7+ mins added, we can't handle it and just fold.

Death taxes and Brighton beating Manchester United.

Can people also just stop pretending that we’re playing well?
Like is this the new 2024/2025 thing. Looks to me like some weird some of coping mechanism. People trying to convince themselves that things are getting better because of the changes above and the signings so we keep saying we’re playing well despite your eyes telling you we’re not.

Pathetic. Our attackers get away with shit performances season after season.

If Hojlund can't stay fit this season, he should be replaced next summer.

Hope is for suckers.

Watched the offside goal again, Zirkzee doesn’t even begin to slide before the ball is past him. So needless.

Was hoping to be wrong about Ten Hag, but it seems we’re on course for another wasted season. No doubt we’ll take 9th place but retain him because of a good EL showing or something.

Argh, that's a frustrating one. It will sting for a while today, but we should not have lost that game. Both goals were poor to concede but especially the second one to just switch off completely.

We played well for a lot of that game, and what could have been with that disallowed goal probably changed the complexion of the entire game really. Sickening.

It wasn’t a horrific performance, rather decent and on another day we could have got a point or all three.

As I said before the season started my expectations for this year are not particularly high so losing to Brighton isn’t exactly a huge surprise, hope we can improve from here. I didn’t even think Brighton were good today.

We will continue to lose more games as long as we don't play 11 players for a full game, players like Rashford, Mount, Mctominay, Casemiro and Antony are just nowhere good enough to play in the PL.

But nice job from Zirkzee, manages to make himself a meme after only two games.

Midfield remains to be a huge issue. We will never find any consistency while struggling to control games.

Hard not to feel this is our bogey team. Honestly, we were decent in spells today and didn't deserve to lose on the overall balance of play. A point would have been fair. There were some positives to take from the game, as difficult as it is to see them now. We had good spells during the match and got unlucky with the disallowed goal.

But we can't look past the fact that the dreadful habit of conceding late goals is still with us. If you cant win, at least don't lose, as the saying goes. Today we could have been coming home with a bit of optimism, but that late goal kills any. That weak mentality still seems to be with us.

I just have to hope that our performances will keep on an upward trajectory and that the end product will come afterwards. But I'm not looking forward to our next home game now.

We have no control of a game and I’m now thinking Ugarte is not going to be the answer. We need an Odegaard or De Bruyne type of midfielder who can dictate they play.
Honestly, I know I’ll get pelters for this, but I’d think about benching Bruno and seeing how we look without him. He’s not bringing enough to cover over his deficiencies.

Why am I seeing posts saying we played well, we didn’t. If that constitutes a good performance nowadays then fans expectations are even lower than I thought. Going to be another long season.

Rashford should not be starting again.

He's been consistently poor since COVID since the School Lunch fiasco.
His saving grace in the last few seasons were having world class form that lasted 3-4months in each season.
Last season he didn’t have that and was consistently poor.
His body language is shocking.

Never seen a player for United get so many chances as he has done.

Too be honest for the wages he is on, I’d be looking to ship him out.
He provides nothing.
Doesn’t score & doesn’t create.
He isn’t getting any better.

We did not deserve to lose that. Smash and grab from those cnuts, who turn up every. single. time. against us.

Shout out to Pawson who protected their players.

I can see the improvement in our play - we weren't poor, those twats got lucky, especially with our disallowed goal.

I hope Arsenal rip them to shreds next week. Fecking chancers.
You want Arsenal to rip them to shreds? That could very well cost us top 4 at the end of this season.

Another quality showing by Ten Hag. Can't wait to hear about "standards" and "accountability" by the new philosopher.

Objectively speaking, a lot has changed. Why does it feel that nothing has?

We're not as open as last season, but it seems to require us playing with both Mount and Bruno through the middle. And we still give away silly goals though.

We seem to be better at playing through pressure than last season. But we're not creating quite enough, and we still don't seem to know how to involve our striker.

all this problems come from Casemiro. he didn't cover the scenes of two brighton's goals.

Player Ratings

5.2 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 228 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Brighton win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 30% Brighton 1:2 Man Utd
  • 18% Brighton 1:1 Man Utd