LC W League Cup Third Round

Manchester United 7:0 Barnsley

Post-match discussion

Tue, 17 September 2024

Great to see Marcus looking closer to the player we saw over a year ago. Looked confident from the off. Good minutes for Ugarte, Garnacho starting the season better than one could hope for.

Good stuff.

No injuries?

I forgot about the game, feck.

What the hell is this result?
Did Barnsley play like a pub team,
or were we actually decent for a change, relative to our standarts?
I will choose to believe Ruud is doing a good job. Pub team defending or not, some cracking fininshing on display.

Can only beat what's in front of you, however still nice to score 7 for the first time since the 9-0 demolition of Southampton.

Found it strange that Amass never made the squad tonight, was sure he would get opportunity after playing so much in preseason.

Like others have said it's very harsh on Wheatley that he couldn't even get on when we were leading by 4/5 goals. He must be thinking this manager just doesn't rate me.

Last edited:
What a terrific peformance that was.

Aside from Garnacho, Rashford and Eriksen (and even Antony doing well) having great games, the team chemistry was really good to see. The first 20 minutes was a bit cagey but after that, we were fully dominant.

What a terrific peformance that was.

Aside from Garnacho, Rashford and Eriksen (and even Antony doing well) having great games, the team chemistry was really good to see. The first 20 minutes was a bit cagey but after that, we were fully dominant.
I think that first 20 we looked like we have zero chemistry and then all of a sudden after the goal, something just clicked. Was nice to see.

Ugarte is going to be an absolute foul magnet.

Ruthless display, very strong team picked against weak opposition and then very strong subs against an already beaten weak opposition.

Barnsley were very naive I felt and played very open. But we took full advantage and very much got the job done.

Job done with aplomb. Hopefully some confidence boosting for the weekend and the tricky away game at Palace.

Okay here’s a negative post: all the goals were transitional. Even with 60+% of the ball, we didn’t create any goals with them pinned in their box. Our high press created a few mistakes (3rd, 5th, 7th), and we did our counterattacking thing well with the 1st, 4th, and 6th goals. Forget the top 13 prem teams, relegation fodder don’t afford that much space.

I am so happy to see Rashford, Eriksen and Garnacho played well. Especially Rashford because I am big fan since he burst into the scene as a teenager. Even Antony scored, what a day!

The only concern is we should rotate more given our injuries records. We should play more 2nd strings against League One opponent.
I agree but maybe ETH thought this was the best chance to get some players into form and get them some more confidence. Especially scoring goals will increase confidence going forward. 10 goals in 2 games is good when we could barely score 3 a game last season.

Nice to a have a comfortable win.
My wife walked into the room when it was 6-0 and was amazed to see that score. When did Barcelona get so bad she asked :lol:

Okay here’s a negative post: all the goals were transitional. Even with 60+% of the ball, we didn’t create any goals with them pinned in their box. Our high press created a few mistakes (3rd, 5th, 7th), and we did our counterattacking thing well with the 1st, 4th, and 6th goals. Forget the top 13 prem teams, relegation fodder don’t afford that much space.
Congratz on finding a negative angle on this!

Excellent point. While it's great to see us being clinical on the counter, it's a red flag that we can't produce from other scenarios.

Not being able to break down a low block is what separates the best teams from "good" teams.

It's also worrying that we see the same in the academy. Nearly every goal scored by the various youth teams are either transitional or moments of individual brilliance. It's very rarely pushing back the opponents and playing through their settled defence.

I enjoy how good we can be on the counter, but it's very one-dimensional and not tre type of football that gets you to the very top.

Im not super excited as the level of the opposition team was low. Don’t think we will have that much space and time with premier league teams. I do like the result thought and statement that comes with it. Now every smaller team will think twice before playing that way with us at old Trafford.

I can't understand why Wheatley wasn't given a run out, or Amass not on the bench, or indeed more youngsters on the bench. Would gave been the ideal time at 4-0. Apart from that a good, confidence builder against poor opposition but how many times have we stumbled against 'inferior' teams in the past?

Solid performance, plenty of goals and a great confidence booster for the players.

We’re starting to look better and better

We created a tonne of chances from build-up in the second half, they just didn't happen to be the ones that went in as much as the ones on the counter. On another day it could have been the other way around.

Doesn't mean much because Barnsley are a much weaker opponent than we will play this season both at defending counters and at defending in a low block.

Under ten Hag that's considered a great performance, but the gulf in wages and transfer fees suggests under a competent manager that would be an acceptable result.

No need to bring on Bruno, Amad or the other first teamers at 5-0 up, still when they get injured it'll give ten Hag an excuse for why the results are bad.

Good to see us finally putting some goals past a team, even if it is League One opposition. I'm happy that Rashford seems to be finding his feet again, hopefully that gives him a bit of confidence after he got his goal on the weekend.

Might seem like a small hang up given we ended up winning 7-0 but I don't really get why Amad didn't get more minutes to get himself going in the same way Rashford and Garnacho were able to. Throwing on Fernandes at 60 minutes when we were 5-0 up was pretty bizarre. Those minutes would've been more beneficial for a young player finding their place in the team.

Great to see Marcus looking closer to the player we saw over a year ago. Looked confident from the off. Good minutes for Ugarte, Garnacho starting the season better than one could hope for.

Good stuff.

No injuries?
Ugarte got a bloody knee but it’s nice to see he’s not a martial

A great result as it provides a great confidence booster... good for the squad, considering Mainoo and Bruno were not playing, so a good night for the squad, good for ETH too, well done him. Can't do much about the opposition really...

Felt like a testimonial at times. But lets be honest, we've made heavy weather of these kinds of games before, so it was nice to see the players look hungry for goals and taking their chances efficiently. Given the opposition I'm not sure what we can take out of this game into our league campaign, but even if its nothing more than a boost to confidence, its very welcome.

It's hard to complain about a scoreline like that, boy, wow, Barnsley's defending was awful!

In fairness, Barnsley were playing with a high line. I have no idea why, as it seemed a little suicidal for a league 1 team to be doing that against Garnacho, Rashford and Antony. You can only beat what's in front of you. Obviously teams will be much more difficult in the league. If Barnsley had decided to just sit back and defend in a low block, I am sure we'd have scored some goals in a different way as our passing and movement were pretty good last night.

Username checks out

We created just as much chances from our possession play, in the majority of our games this season we have created chances from our possession play. What you are highlighting is exactly the point of Ten Hag's tactics, it was the same with his CL Ajax team, its not all about possession. If you as an opposition want to press high into our half then we will let you because at the moment we are probably the most dangerous transition team. Even when facing a low block we will often recycle to the CBs/GK to try and draw the team out to create more space. When our attackers are on form, deciding as a tactic to leave us acres of space behind is basically asking for us to score. Eventually, if we start taking our chances, you will see a slow transition of teams starting to play low blocks against us, this will naturally result in us getting even more possession and as we have shown this season so far, we can create chances when faced with a low block.

Even Pep's city in the early years relied partially on transitions. There were teams trying to press City high due their playing out from the back. A few Ederson long balls quickly made teams rethink trying to press them and eventually most teams reverted to a very low block vs them.

Lads - United won 7-0.

Stop moaning about who played and who the opposition was.

seven goals.
clean sheet.
goals for lads that needed them.

Happy days

No need to bring on Bruno, Amad or the other first teamers at 5-0 up, still when they get injured it'll give ten Hag an excuse for why the results are bad.
That was your takeaway from that game? You must be great fun.

And your takeaway is that teams in the Premier league are better than team two divisions below them.

We have some real top notch analysts on here.

Fun night, brought back memories of the 1997 Premier league 7-0 win over Barnsley I attended. Tonight 13-0 on shots on target, haven't destroyed a team in a cup tie like that for a while.
Imagine being a Barnsley fan, and coming to OT twice in your life for your big day out, getting pummeled by 7 goals both times, and then having to go back to Barnsley.

I took a picture of the top left screen of my tv in 90 mins and told people we was beating Barca 7-0. :lol:

We created a tonne of chances from build-up in the second half, they just didn't happen to be the ones that went in as much as the ones on the counter. On another day it could have been the other way around.

Doesn't mean much because Barnsley are a much weaker opponent than we will play this season both at defending counters and at defending in a low block.

Agreed.

That was your takeaway from that game? You must be great fun.

And your takeaway is that teams in the Premier league are better than team two divisions below them.

We have some real top notch analysts on here.

How do you pull that out from that post as a takeaway? Reading comprehension has gone down the drain. Or maybe you don’t know what the word takeaway means.

We created just as much chances from our possession play, in the majority of our games this season we have created chances from our possession play. What you are highlighting is exactly the point of Ten Hag's tactics, it was the same with his CL Ajax team, its not all about possession. If you as an opposition want to press high into our half then we will let you because at the moment we are probably the most dangerous transition team. Even when facing a low block we will often recycle to the CBs/GK to try and draw the team out to create more space. When our attackers are on form, deciding as a tactic to leave us acres of space behind is basically asking for us to score. Eventually, if we start taking our chances, you will see a slow transition of teams starting to play low blocks against us, this will naturally result in us getting even more possession and as we have shown this season so far, we can create chances when faced with a low block.

Even Pep's city in the early years relied partially on transitions. There were teams trying to press City high due their playing out from the back. A few Ederson long balls quickly made teams rethink trying to press them and eventually most teams reverted to a very low block vs them.

Fully agree with your post. What matters over the long haul is that we continue to create those spaces and chances.

How do you pull that out from that post as a takeaway? Reading comprehension has gone down the drain. Or maybe you don’t know what the word takeaway means.

Well the fact you said after the game was a big clue.

You said it, I read it.

You were stating the absurdly obvious in a way that you seemed to think was revelatory.

Then decide that someone with an issue just didn't understand you. That's always a good sign.

Can’t believe I missed that because of work. Feels like I lost out twice. Great result and hopefully a good confidence booster for the team.

It's a bit wild that we hadn't scored 5 goals in a game under ETH before this. Hopefully it's a sign of things to come, because I'm not sure we would have done this last year. Really hope we can apply some of the same quality in transitions to games in the Premier League as well. With Rashford, Amad, Garnacho, Zirkzee and Bruno, we have the players to pull it off against better opposition as well.

Man of the Match

Provisional results
Alejandro Garnacho image Alejandro Garnacho 45% of 238 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

Provisional results
7.0 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 225 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win