LC W League Cup Third Round

Manchester United 7:0 Barnsley

Post-match discussion

Tue, 17 September 2024

Complaining about a lack of goals "created while they were pinned in their box" after a 7-0 win is quite something.

The desperate reaching to say something negative is a hoot.

Relax chaps, we will have another poor result sooner rather than later I imagine.

I wonder if it is really a myth that Rashford is better on the left. He often has his best games up front or at no.10, especially these days.

Plus Garnacho is more comfortable on the left, and with Amad clearly our best option on the right, this might be the way, at least until Hojlund is back. The Zirk can come on for Rashford when he is having one of his off days.

It's a bit wild that we hadn't scored 5 goals in a game under ETH before this. Hopefully it's a sign of things to come, because I'm not sure we would have done this last year. Really hope we can apply some of the same quality in transitions to games in the Premier League as well. With Rashford, Amad, Garnacho, Zirkzee and Bruno, we have the players to pull it off against better opposition as well.

It's been one of the strangest things about his time in charge, making really poor sides look great.

My concern is the slow starts, we have scored 10 without conceding in two games but in both games we were a bit wobbly until we scored.

It's nit picking but it does concern me especially as our mental strength doesn't seem that great, so conceding first could be a bigger blow than in should be.

Maybe that won't be a factor with the new additions.

I wonder if it is really a myth that Rashford is better on the left. He often has his best games up front or at no.10, especially these days.

I think it's a space issue, he drifted right when the space opened up there.

And Barnsley gave us a lot of space in general.

It's been one of the strangest things about his time in charge, making really poor sides look great.

My concern is the slow starts, we have scored 10 without conceding in two games but in both games we were a bit wobbly until we scored.

It's nit picking but it does concern me especially as our mental strength doesn't seem that great, so conceding first could be a bigger blow than in should be.

Agree. You have to wonder how the Southampton game would have gone, if they had scored their penalty. It wasn't just a matter of whether we won 3-0 or 3-1.

To be honest I’ll take that over the more established pattern under ETH of looking great for the first 15 minutes then getting progressively worse. The slow start, strong finish trend is only two games long!

Okay here’s a negative post: all the goals were transitional. Even with 60+% of the ball, we didn’t create any goals with them pinned in their box. Our high press created a few mistakes (3rd, 5th, 7th), and we did our counterattacking thing well with the 1st, 4th, and 6th goals. Forget the top 13 prem teams, relegation fodder don’t afford that much space.
I don‘t see this as a negative: we are set up to score goals from transition, so it‘s great that we succeeded in that.

We created three goals against Southampton while they were camped in their box, so I‘m not worried.

I don't think it's a coincidence that the minute Ugarte played, United looked far more capable of winning the ball back and disrupting the oppositions play.
All too often in the last decade, United haven't had a midfielder who will get stuck in and have been walked through.

I know it was Barnsley, but Ugarte was a big difference for me. He's pointing to where passes should be made like fans do. I think he will speed up the play, between breaking up the opponents attack and playing forward passes, for the attackers, which the team have desperately needed for a while.

Regardless of the opposition this for me was a glimpse at what we can produce when where at like 60% of our potential.

We have some very good players with others who are adapting, developing and rediscovering some form.

We need a run of form without serious injuries and we can build some momentum and solidify a core of players we can rotate around. Fingers crossed.

Everybody was smiling as we left OT last night, the singing was loud and powerful, especially pre-match, and every player had a decent game, could have picked 2 or 3 MOTM, and we scored 7 goals.

On the way home tried to remember last time we won 7-0 at OT (any competition).... and I could only remember Barnsley in the late 90's!

Barnsley played their part they came to give us a game and for the first 20 minutes or so did, but they couldn't keep it up and we got better; but they didn't try to 'shut up shop' and deserve credit for that.

Despite the scoreline I eventually settled on Harry Maguire, for MOTM; he looked confident throughout, (can only remember one misplaced pass) he was first to every 50-50 ball, he looked solid (as he should be against such opposition) covered all his defence-organisational duties very effectively, and was a big help to young Toby Collyer.

Don't care if it was a cup game against a League One side, we needed that and very enjoyable it was too.

Casemiro was brilliant today. His performance rating on here does not reflect how dominant he was in the midfield. Best performance in over half a year. Granted, it was only Barnsley (no disrespect intended), and it may not translate to Premier League opponents, but he was where he needed to be defensively, showed a bit more life in his legs (he’s still not pacey, but he was much more positionally sound), and he controlled the game with the ball at his feet. Disappointed to see that not translate to a higher score. He was much better than Bruno, for instance, who though he had an assist, lost the ball dribbling multiple times unnecessarily.

Eriksen was also brilliant. Would like to see him play the 10 against better competition to see if this performance can translate. I thought his performance today was pivotal in ensuring we controlled the ball. No silly turnovers leading to counterattacks like we generally see from Bruno. We controlled the ball and camped out in their side of the pitch. Not sure that he or Casemiro can do it against stronger competition, but it’s the type of football I want to see. Less wild, high risk football, and more composed, controlled, ball dominant football. They can’t score on us if they don’t have the ball.

Thought Collyer did an admirable job out of position. Certainly not an answer long term at LB, but you can see his athleticism and talent. Garnacho and Rashford both played excellent football today. Dangerous for nearly the entire time they were on the pitch. Thought Maguire and Evans were very good today. Dalot was solid, not spectacular. Good day at the office overall for him.

Bayindir scares me a bit. It wasn’t anything glaring. Just felt a little unsure at times. And Antony just doesn’t look like he is going to be a factor this year. A couple of decent moments, but all in all…still struggling with similar issues as last year. Dispossessed far too easily, poor decision making. Nice run for the penalty, and well struck goal, but just not enough there for me to think he will demand many mins…especially if Rashford and Garnacho are in form as they were today.

Ugarte will make a difference for this team. A few too many fouls, of which some would be yellows in the PL, but you see the energy, aggression and pace. He also plays a simple ball, which will lead to ball retention. Not an elite performance, but you can see it’s all there for him to be a fantastic player for this team. I think his pace and play style makes Casemiro better. Could see a 3 man rotation for 2 spots between those 2 and Mainoo.

In the end, great performance. This is the type of performance we should see against a squad like Barnsley. No overreaction here…just pleased with a 7 goal victory and clean sheet.

Last edited:
It's nice to see a team dismantle a side that's lower than them , usually we scrap past teams like this. Refreshing performance never let up got better and better. That's what's needed

It can only give us confidence. Doesn't matter who you play, winning by big margins is good for the rhythm of the team.
What was the attendance? Not seen it. Hoping for a full house to witness a nice win.

It's a bit wild that we hadn't scored 5 goals in a game under ETH before this. Hopefully it's a sign of things to come, because I'm not sure we would have done this last year. Really hope we can apply some of the same quality in transitions to games in the Premier League as well. With Rashford, Amad, Garnacho, Zirkzee and Bruno, we have the players to pull it off against better opposition as well.
Yes I don't think so as played league one Wigan last year only winning 2-0 and played Newport county a league two side only winning 4-2.

What a great watch that was. We've struggled in these sorts of games before so it was really nice to just smash 'em properly. We've needed a game like that. Convincing.

Okay here’s a negative post: all the goals were transitional. Even with 60+% of the ball, we didn’t create any goals with them pinned in their box. Our high press created a few mistakes (3rd, 5th, 7th), and we did our counterattacking thing well with the 1st, 4th, and 6th goals. Forget the top 13 prem teams, relegation fodder don’t afford that much space.

I think the high press is what we are going for, as go to strategy to create opportunities. Problem has been we aren’t great at the high press, and it has broken down the shape of the team leading to conceding too many goals.

What a fun game to watch! And I was relieved to see De Ligt, Mazraoui, and Maguire were all fit enough to play.

Trying not to get too ahead of myself but a great result and delighted for the team. Never mind all this "it was only a league one team," the lads still had to show up and do it.

One minor criticism is that we didn't score 10 haha.

Eh? I might have missed it, but I don't recall any particular moments of uncertainty from him. I don't think he even needed to make a save.

With the ball at his feet. And the shot that hit the outside netting.

I think we could have scored four in game week 1 Bruno would normally put both those chances away.

We could and should have scored more against Southampton too. Zirkzee could easily have had two. We’ve created the chances every game except against Pool where we were dreadful. Hojilund still to come back there’s goals in this squad. If we can see the best of Rashford and Hojilund we’ll be laughing.

Bloody hell, we finally thrash a (all be it far inferior) team and everyone is still moaning. It was probably our most entertaining performance post Fergie.

I just watched the replay. The result was nice and it's great to see us score many goals.

o I thought Rashford was okay and I'm far from thinking he will be good this year. He still made dumb plays and had poor touches. His first goal was a little lucky as he showed too much of the ball and most PL defenders would have stopped him. His second was a good shot with his left and that's it. And ETH, just because he scored a couple of goals as striker doesn't mean he should play there. Been there done that and it doesn't work vs good teams.
o I liked how Ugarte moved the ball quickly. I hope he keeps that up and the coaches don't slow him down.
o Antony was his usual waste. Please don't give him PL time.
o Casemiro was good, but that doesn't erase all his bad play
o Collyer might get some good playing time this year, he looks more and more ready
o I'm very glad Mainoo got a rest

Man of the Match

Provisional results
Alejandro Garnacho image Alejandro Garnacho 45% of 238 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

Provisional results
7.0 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 225 ratings.

Score Predictions