LC W League Cup Third Round

Manchester United 7:0 Barnsley

Post-match discussion

Tue, 17 September 2024

Very enjoyable night. It was an excellent result against admittedly lower league opposition but will do well to boost our confidence. Great performances by Rashford, Garnacho and Eriksen tonight, hard to pick MOTM between them.

We have third highest xG in the league. It’s only a matter of time we start scoring more in the league as well. Great result even it was against league 1 opposition.
Just FYI - based on understat, we are fifth. Liverpool, Villa, City and Bournemouth (!?) are ahead.

I'm a fan and I'm happy but I think it's fine if Rashford wasn't all smiling etc I mean, this is Barnsley. It's an easy day in the office, winning is expected. I'm certain Rashford would be smiling if they were taking care of business like this in the EPL.

That was a fun night.

Rashford and Garnacho were on fire, Antony did well, Eriksen was quality. Good performance.

Quality of the opposition aside, can't help but feel that Casemiro is better the further he is up the pitch rather than sitting in front of the back four. We saw it also against Fulham when he created two or three really good chances.

On fbref we're 2nd. These different sites are all giving different numbers for the same stats
Hmm afaik not all of them apply exactly the same ruleset. Which is fine as long as you stick to one source when doing comparisons.

edit: interestingly enough, both sites have the same xG number for us.

I'm a fan and I'm happy but I think it's fine if Rashford wasn't all smiling etc I mean, this is Barnsley. It's an easy day in the office, winning is expected. I'm certain Rashford would be smiling if they were taking care of business like this in the EPL.
Yes, but the interviewer is keen to push how he had a bad season last year rather than just focusing on tonight's performance, she is still at it with ETH.

Enjoyable night and refreshing to see United score plenty of goals in a game. Last time we scored 5+ was opening day of 21/22 season vs Leeds and last time we scored 6+ was against Roma in 20/21. So it's been a while really.

Only Barnsley of course but great night. Garnacho MotM for me, 2 goals and 2 assists.

We also didn't concede and didn't let any shots on target either so that's great.

Good win before Palace away. Last time we won there was 19/20.

Too often have we struggled past lower league opposition, was nice to absolutely blow them away, although I die feel sorry for them by the end, they looked shattered.

Can't really fault anyone.

Nice to see us be able to control the game and find options.

One of our weaknesses in recent years has been struggling against teams when its up to us to take the initiative and the other side sit back. Even against lower opposition we always looks vulnerable.

Refreshing change.

Nothing to take from the game as Barnsley really played into the underdog/shit team narrative.

Hopefully the players can take the positivity into the Palace game and put on a show against a better side.

Nothing to take apart from the positivity?

Nothing to take apart from the positivity?
I mean yeah, tuning up our forwards with 7 goals against fodder will spark a bit of positivity…but the game itself wasn’t even a contest.

It would be just like us under Ten Hag to go into a the next game and find ourselves behind with zero positivity thereafter.

I mean yeah, tuning up our forwards with 7 goals against fodder will spark a bit of positivity…but the game itself wasn’t even a contest.

It would be just like us under Ten Hag to go into a the next game and find ourselves behind with zero positivity thereafter.

You could win a non-contest 3-0 and generally still feel relatively pleased with your day. We were quite ruthless tonight I thought, foot on the gas all the way through which I enjoyed. Plenty to take from the game, regardless of Barnsley's level.

My only criticism is I would have liked to see Wheatley play, but then I enjoyed the fact we went for it from start to finish so hard to be truly upset.

Good performance! Hopefully it gave a boost of confidence to the squad before the weekend. Will be a lot tougher then

Just FYI - based on understat, we are fifth. Liverpool, Villa, City and Bournemouth (!?) are ahead.
2nd based on Fbref who I find more dependable for these kind of stats. Barely anything between us, Liverpool and Bournemouth by the way. We are like separated by 0.1 xG. City are the only ones who have some distance to the rest of us.

Really good watch. We were so clinical, and it's been a long time since I've been able to say the previous two statements.

Obviously it's just a League 1 team but it feels like so long since we even won a game like this comfortably. I still have trauma from the Coventry game last year.

I would probably say Garancho was man of match. It felt like he was involved in everything good while he was on the pitch. I understand those who gave it to Eriksen since he also had a great game and is also likely coming towards the end of his time with us. Sky gave the MOTM to Rashford and while he was also very good, he was a level below those two imo. They seem to be really trying push a redemption angle for Rashford, and while I would be delighted if he is back to his best, its too early to be making these claims.

What surprised me the most (in a positive way) was that we kept on going - rather than pass the ball around and finish the game off.

I feel like another creative body through the middle with bruno as eriksen done would be beneficial for the team. 2 out of bruno, Eriksen and mount would provide a lot of chances...maybe Zirkzee too depending on the opposition

Barnsley were shocking and played into our hands but we don't always put this type of opposition away like we did tonight. Will be a huge confidence boost for everyone.

Eriksen MOTM
Absolutely never gave the ball away. Sublime passing and anticipation and positional sense. Really positive and obviously two goals. Alright we know it was Barnsley but his attitude was spot on. Confidence breeds confidence and inspires others around you.
Also I know Byandir wasn't tested at all whatsoever but his calmness, no jitters and distribution was excellent. Not once did I feel nervous or that he was going to do something calamitous.
Again well aware of the lack of quality with the opposition but still the attitude has to be right and the body language was there right from the start.

Barnsley were abysmal. The way Rashford just walked through that centre back in the first half for his goal was pathetic. Decent confidence booster but it looked like they were playing against kids.

I was fully convinced Barnsley were in the premier league around 2009, I distinctly remember them beating us 1-0 and Carrick missed a penalty, but that was Burnley. Feels like a Mandela effect, I would have bet money that they were in the prem around that time, was very surprised to hear they hadn’t been in it since 97.

I forgot about the game, feck.

What the hell is this result?
Did Barnsley play like a pub team,
or were we actually decent for a change, relative to our standarts?

That’s exactly the kind of score we should be racking up vs a team 2 divisions below us. As sir Alex would say show the opposition respect by not going easy on them.
We’ve struggled with that kind of cup game in recent times so very good to see such an efficient, professional and clinical performance.
Kudos to ten Hag also for getting the balance of rotation and playing into form or fitness spot on. A great game for confidence all round. We should score 5 vs Palace now.

I am so happy to see Rashford, Eriksen and Garnacho played well. Especially Rashford because I am big fan since he burst into the scene as a teenager. Even Antony scored, what a day!

The only concern is we should rotate more given our injuries records. We should play more 2nd strings against League One opponent.

Apart from the excellent performance and result, tonight was a much needed building exercise.
Rather than the usual approach of making random wholesale changes and throwing in some of the kids for a bit of experience, I was pleased how ETH used the opportunity to properly rotate the 1st team squad as well as getting a chance to play Ugarte alongside senior players in midfield.

We’ve had a shaky start to the season, with a bunch of new arrivals having little time to bed in and get up to speed, as well as still missing some players with injuries.
I don’t think we were quite ready over the first few games, so this game was much needed, before we face a stern test at Palace on Saturday.
We all like to see the kids given a chance, but tonight wasn’t the time for that.

Man of the Match

Provisional results
Alejandro Garnacho image Alejandro Garnacho 45% of 238 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

Provisional results
7.0 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 225 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win