PL D FA Premier League

Aston Villa 0:0 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Sun, 06 October 2024

I must have watched another game. I found it interesting to see our set up and how we handled Villa attacks in different areas. If I were a Villa fan I'd wonder why their strikers were so shite, but perhaps give some credit to United for forcing them to play as they did. Showed me our squad is solid and can play accordingly. If Garnacho had not had a 'mare today we may have troubled them a lot more. So all told, not doom and gloom here.

I’m fine with that as a concept. It’s often the first thing a new manager would do.

However, what do you think we’ll do against Brentford? Because I find it hard to imagine that we won’t just rock up and play wild football and lose.

We’ve seen ETH produce these pragmatic displays but he doesn’t keep any kind of consistency week to week. It never grows or builds from that to a better standard.

Yeah i don't know what we'll do against Brentford.

Asking Dalot to vacate the LB spot hasn't been working for us. Today we were so much more solid simply because he mostly stuck to traditional LB areas so was able to get back when needed. Of course we lacked in forward areas as a result. And this is a problem, because our forwards do need some help when they're not at their peak.

So I expect something of a tighter game next time out, with just enough risk to get the result. It's not an easy balance. The PL is tough when you don't have the forwards who can reliably win games on their own.

Who ever did the scouting report on Zirkzee needs to go , hope it wasnt a toss up between him and Toni , I cannot see for the life of me what he brings to the team !!

Absolute dross. Once again his pish tactics and system make us look absolutely toothless going forward; and yet this fool once again, waits until 60-odd minutes and makes a like-for-like substitution and system/formation, that hasn't been working, carries on!
Please, Ratcliffe, put us out of his misery!

Last edited:
Villa were not at it today and we were our usual self (except not conceding). Dull game to watch and regardless of the result in isolation, the league table reading is depressing.

If that is the standard we are aiming for, then it will speak volumes if ETH is retained after the international break. Otherwise, show some ambition and make a new appointment; hopefully this ‘process’ has just been terminated.

In isolation it isn't a bad result, but couple that with the performance and the games we've seen over the last 2 months and it's a different story.

No idea how to be both potent in attack and solid at the back, it's 1 or the other for Ten Hag, and a lot of the time neither.

I said to mates that even with a tactical masterclass at Villa I'd still want him to go, so a 0-0 does nothing to change that for me.

A point at Villa Park isn’t a bad result in isolation but we only got that because we set up like a bottom six team today.

What we’re doing isn’t sustainable but unfortunately it will probably save the fecker for now.

I’m fine with that as a concept. It’s often the first thing a new manager would do.

However, what do you think we’ll do against Brentford? Because I find it hard to imagine that we won’t just rock up and play wild football and lose.

We’ve seen ETH produce these pragmatic displays but he doesn’t keep any kind of consistency week to week. It never grows or builds from that to a better standard.
Thomas Frank has out managed ten Hag in their match ups, so I expect another bad result.

Shit game but we were less shit than villa. Johnny Evan’s is a red and Zirkzee is a fecking shit living statue and that ref was a cnut, desperate to get the cards out for united.

Basically ETH proving that he is a lower half PL manager that can only defend by packing the defence and playing like an underdog.

He is not good enough for Utd and 10 draws against Villa wont convince me otherwise!

Evans MOTM, just shows that if you are organised and disciplined you'd go a long way at being successful.

Give Big Sam 600M and 3 years he'll do better

Tepid, hardly an improvement, Villa were poor and still clearly the better team, the gap in the cost of the teams is astronomical

I'd say it's more to do with the structure of the team Bit harsh to blame the attackers who are feeding off scraps.
Nah they were in plenty of good situations today to score. If we had a world class player like Palmer in our team today we'd have won. But we don't.

And we’re never gonna score again,
Erik’s teams have got no rhythm…

So depressing to watch. A must win game to get some relief from an abysmal beginning to the season but we seem to be ok with a draw against Villa.
We looked cooked on all fronts. No fire, no desire, there is nothing. How the hell did we get to this point. So many lows.

He didn't play to win,he played to save his job.
If he's in charge against Brentford we're in bigger trouble than we are now.

ETH has been here long enough, and more than enough money has been spent in that time.
Win, Draw or Lose we should be playing good enough football, and we should be challenging for the top 4 now. Anything less than that is a failure.

Other teams have brought in new managers, spent less, and are producing football their supporters like. Some of them deservedly sit above us in the league.

Ineos and its New Management team need to demonstrate that the current situation is not acceptable and act decisively, this is not new, it goes back well into last season ( with one, apparently job-saving high-profile win in the middle ) in a long-run of poor performances and poor decisions.

Evans was great. I expected Villa to target him, but he was the best player on the park.
Don't know what happened to Rashford at half time but felt like he was trying to throw the game in the second half after a decent first forty five.

Being realistic, many would have taken a draw before the game.
It certainly was not a classic that is for sure.

We did enough to deserve a point although Villa were pretty poor, especially at home.

Both this game and the Porto game, devoid of context - we would have been largely happy with a draw.

Watching the type of play we have put on the pitch is a different matter. Porto felt like a loss. This game (even though it felt deserving of a point) was just insipid in our attacking play.

I was defending ETH last season, but my view has changed, and I'd prefer him out much sooner rather than later.

I felt asleep in 2nd half for the first time in my 25 years as United fan. No comments. No emotions. Just change something.

We don't create chances
A Stat came up showing that we're 19th for goals scored and 5th for xG... We should be scoring a lot more and in fact I feel we are so completely bereft of confidence because of not converting those chances in earlier games.

Poor game, if we showed a bit more composure we could've won it as Villa were awful.

It's the old conundrum, make us more compact and we never look like scoring, Ole had the same problem as EtH seems to have when we try to play a different brand of football we get torn apart.

Doesn't change much EtH has to go, it's better for all concerned it happens sooner rather than later.

Who ever did the scouting report on Zirkzee needs to go , hope it wasnt a toss up between him and Toni , I cannot see for the life of me what he brings to the team !!
It looks an absolutely inexplicable one. One to file in the Mount and DVB locker.

I felt asleep in 2nd half for the first time in my 25 years as United fan. No comments. No emotions. Just change something.

There have been way worse games to fall asleep to in the past. Especially under LVG.

Age might just be catching up ;)

Being realistic, many would have taken a draw before the game.
It certainly was not a classic that is for sure.

We did enough to deserve a point although Villa were pretty poor, especially at home.
Im not sure what many would have took before the game. It's a weird situation we are in. It feels like we are watching a soap opera waiting to conclude and the football is playing second fiddle

Much much better in mid-field and defensively.

Up front and going forward we lack speed and dynamism. It's like nobody has any fire in their belly.

The amount of stupid stupid unnecessary fouls professional footballers give away blows my mine, and out team gives away more than most. The stupidity and lack of game intelligence astounds me.

Can't even get thr basics right. Garnacho just had to put the ball to other side . I don't know how he managed to hit Cash.

Man, hate this group.

In all my years of watching united I've never disliked as many players in a single squad as I do this one.

Can't even get thr basics right. Garnacho just had to put the ball to other side . I don't know how he managed to hit Cash.

Man, hate this group.
Should have done better but at the same time, the defender did very well to force the error.

Man of the Match

Provisional results
Jonny Evans image Jonny Evans 88% of 226 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

Provisional results
5.2 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 205 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win