PL D FA Premier League

Aston Villa 0:0 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Sun, 06 October 2024

Solid, unspectacular, but well structured and competent. Likely not enough to keep the manager in a job, and sadly that’s probably the right way to go. He’s not good enough to get us beyond top 6 even at his best. Doesn’t mean he’s a fraud, shite, etc. Enjoyed Rashford and Garnacho’s graft today. More of that and under any manager we’re likely to look good.

4 clean sheets out of 7 for United :lol:

I thought that before the Spurs game. We’d had 3 in a row and while not perfect it looked a tad better defensively. It’s wild the inconsistency though.

Villa were crap today though so weren’t challenged that much.

Totally understand people's frustration, we're in a very poor time for United, but that was a good point. Especially after looking so vulnerable midweek,against villa full of confidence.

Just take the point and get on with your weekends, the misery is draining the forum dry

Really? I didn't watch so can't tell
Most players had a decent game. It is just frustrating when you spend about 2 hours watching the game and barely anything of note happens

Ten Hag's beaming smile at the end said it all, set out to save his job rather than win. Dire game of football from start to end.

If nothing else, this performance has highlighted the fact that our attackers just aren't good enough.

I know there are people that over-hype Amad on here but one of the reasons I’ve liked his play is that it’s a tad more selfless than Rashford & Garnacho and he seems to think unlike Bruno. Sky had a stat showing he’d created the most chances for us this season before/after Spurs.

We can’t create quality chances because as soon as Rashford/Garnacho get within 40 yards they just want to shoot. The amount of times they drill it into shins or take too long and release a pass too late is infuriating.

We all know Bruno’s issues. Wild passing and wild shooting. It’s unpredictable but that means our own players can’t know where the ball is going.

There was a moment on the right wing when Garnacho should had Mazraoui on the overlap instead he laid it back to Bruno who should be crossing first time only to then delay and play it to Mazraoui who is now offside. It’s just so shit. They can’t figure out a basic overlap at times.

Get Eriksen or Mount in as no10. Play them with Amad and of Rashford/Garnacho. Give them a fecking cash bonus for any assists.

Villa were proper shit.

We were solid at the back, but absolutely impotent upfront. I honestly feel like we’ll never score a goal again.

I see your point but that's an exaggeration for sure. Last seasons cup quarter final was probably one of the most entertaining games ever at old Trafford, and the cup final was joyous and entertaining. We drew 3-3 midweek in a game a neutral would love. This isn't a defence of ten hag or our poor football, but there's no point amplifying your misery.

In terms of today, id take a 0-0 at villa park these days, as i suspect would most teams
I'm not just talking about 1 game. Or a few games. It's majority of 2 seasons. The odd "fun" game here and there doesn't cut it for Manchester United.

Good result there, 14th now hanging around with relegation candidates.

Should keep Ten Hag.

Our players had so casual body language with fouls and giving ball away, zero patterns is the most disappointing thing so far. Did well defensively. Garnacho needs to be coached to pass the ball 1st especially with many players in the box.

As soon as Mount comes back, we can resume the new 'pressing' system Eth has implemented. Mount is the missing piece. Just be patient lads;)

Zirkzee 30 minutes was so poor that you have to wonder if he was ill or something.

Ok game against good team. They had 2 good chances all game. Still to static football. Mainoo needs rest. Evans shoulder above everyone.

Pretty bad game of football to watch. There was little quality from either team and very few chances of note created from open play. Evans had a good game, great to see him ever reliable. Zirkzee is struggling a lot at the moment, he had no impact on the game when he came on.

It isn’t a bad point but I don’t see it taking the pressure off Ten Hag or dispelling the threat of being sacked either.

Under any other circumstances, a point away at Villa wouldn't be a bad result. But I've got no faith in this team whatsoever. We're on course to score about 30 goals this season.

In isolation, that was a solid battling performance against a good team in high confidence.

Just because we've been bad recently doesn't mean we get to expect amazing performances to balance that out. Games like this, assuming the manager stays, are what's needed to start to build something.

Of course most on here don't want to hear that. They just want a new manager at any cost. But if he is staying then that's a solid performance to try to build on. Or more ammunition to berate the players, management and ownership, depending on how you want to see it I guess.

I’m fine with that as a concept. It’s often the first thing a new manager would do.

However, what do you think we’ll do against Brentford? Because I find it hard to imagine that we won’t just rock up and play wild football and lose.

We’ve seen ETH produce these pragmatic displays but he doesn’t keep any kind of consistency week to week. It never grows or builds from that to a better standard.

Villa made us look better than we actually were.
The set up was to pack the midfield and stop Villa running through, and cedit to ETH it worked, because it had to if he wanted to keep his job..

Not a humiliation by any means, but poor results so far this season means we needed to win this. At the start of the Spurs game we probably needed two wins and a draw from the next three games. We ended up with two draws and a humiliation. Miles off what's needed.

The team continues to seesaw from chaotic performances in Europe to drab performances in the league. In truth this was the best of the three performances, but that isn't saying much.

This team looks miles off where we want to be. I hope that the senior management team do the necessary and replace the manager. I don't just want to wait til the next spanking for it to happen.

Good point at a tough venue. Evans was tremendous. Was Masraoui injured?

ETH's "on the same page" schtick again: it's the wrong fecking page - probably the wrong book

Complete non event of a match.

We were far too cautious up to the hour.

As I said Duran and Watkins upfront unbalances us, has to be either/or.

You guys came for what you wanted. Thought Eriksen was one of your best players. If the game isn't an end to end basketball match he's still one of your better options at CM.

You need to sign someone ten years his junior.

Very uninspiring performance. Free kick aside there was no real threat on the goal. Still so wasteful with the ball and occasinalywe look like we are a bunch of non-league players.

So what's the excuse now?
Can't blame Injuries!
Is this our Tactic now?
Survive?

One of those weird situations where a draw feels like the worst result. Not enough to push up the table, but it's enough for ETH to keep his job.

Shocking that 2 main strikers can’t even produce a shot all game.
Not even an attempt on goal.
Shocking that our midfield cannot create a chance for our strikers.

Very poor today, that we struggled to beat a poor Aston Villa.

On course for a 43 point season with a massive 27 goals scored at this rate.

There's no measurable stat that point to EtH staying here but for some reason this ownership deems it good enough.
Yes, but what about the "Process"?

Horrible, lifeless game.

Good result under the circumstances I suppose. Feared worse.

What now INEOS?
Yeah, a few draws against big teams and a few wins against rivals and we will avoid relegation. Good result indeed.

Man of the Match

Provisional results
Jonny Evans image Jonny Evans 88% of 226 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

Provisional results
5.2 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 205 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win