POLL ADDED: Would you want Jose Mourinho as the next Manchester United manager?

Would you want Jose Mourinho as manager of Manchester United?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Frasbul

everclear is a cool band. yeah they still exist.
I want Mou and have Giggs be his assistant for a year before leaving the club and managing a club himself.
Giggsy will then have seen the good and the bad of managing and can try to develop his own style. If he shows promise I'd love for him to take over from Mou in a few years.

Halftrack

I want Mou and have Giggs be his assistant for a year before leaving the club and managing a club himself.
Giggsy will then have seen the good and the bad of managing and can try to develop his own style. If he shows promise I'd love for him to take over from Mou in a few years.
We need to stop forcing managers to have Giggs as an assistant, and just tell him to feck off and do some managing to prove that he's got what it takes. He should have seen plenty enough of the good side of management under Ferguson.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
SAF was driven to see United succeed.
Mourinho is obsessed with his own personal success.
I think there were quite a few instances where SAF was prepared to put his own interests ahead of that of the club and the way he handled the club during the last part of his reign suggests that the long term health of the club wasn't his immediate priority as long as he went out with a bang.

vidic blood & sand

I think there were quite a few instances where SAF was prepared to put his own interests ahead of that of the club and the way he handled the club during the last part of his reign suggests that the long term health of the club wasn't his immediate priority as long as he went out with a bang.
I remember SAF turning down Arsenal, Rangers, and Spurs because it didnt feel right for the kind of domination he had in mind for the English league. When United came knocking, it was the only club he wanted. The history of United made the club a sleeping giant, and he knew it. He was determined to waken the giant and make a legacy.

Mourinho?

He's out of work.

Mainoldo

I remember SAF turning down Arsenal, Rangers, and Spurs because it didnt feel right for the kind of domination he had in mind for the English league. When United came knocking, it was the only club he wanted. The history of United made the club a sleeping giant, and he knew it. He was determined to waken the giant and make a legacy.

Mourinho?

He's out of work.
This is also the man who sweet talked us to death when he got a inclination the job was going to be open.. Only to have to settle for Chelsea. Let's be honest the Mourinho aura just wasn't there in his last term at Chelsea and I think it's mainly down to him wanting to be here.

Just give him the job, it's his personal goal and the man pretty much achieves the majority of his football goals he sets. No one cares about Pep being all about himself.

SirAF

Ageist
And if we appoint him right now, his personal success will be United's success. No? :confused:
One would think that there is a clear correlation between a manager's personal success and the club's success, yeah.

Cal?

CR7 fan
One would think that there is a clear correlation between a manager's personal success and the club's success, yeah.
Some of the anti-Mourinho crowd are so obsessed with hating the guy they'd rather we win nothing than win trophies with Mourinho in charge. God forbid he'd go down in history as better than Pep.

SirAF

Ageist
Some of the anti-Mourinho crowd are so obsessed with hating the guy they'd rather we win nothing than win trophies with Mourinho in charge. God forbid he'd go down in history as better than Pep.
True :lol:

vidic blood & sand

I dont hate Mourinho. He's a great coach, and I like his personality. I'd love for to remain in the premier league. If he came to us I'd want him to be a success, but for me he'd prbably be here short term then be off.
Would rather we got someone long term like SAF, even if it meant we struggled for a few years

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
I'm interested in how you lot will react to his style of football and whiney "deflection" interviews. Never mind the buses he brings to the big games. Fellaini will definitely stay in that case.
There will be negative points but they won't matter if they're overshadowed by the positive.

For me we need someone who is a big attraction for top players, demands immediate respect, and is proven. Mourinho ticks all those boxes and some. So far our new managers have barely ticked 2 of those.

Not saying it'll all be rosy, but I think if we start seeing our club actually moving forward the people will be happy.
Of course, super attacking football would be great (and I've certainly been one of the many that would like some), but football that actually works would be a start. It's never really worked under LVG and all this 'laying foundations/building from the back' thing has been a load of shite.

vidic blood & sand

This is also the man who sweet talked us to death when he got a inclination the job was going to be open.. Only to have to settle for Chelsea. Let's be honest the Mourinho aura just wasn't there in his last term at Chelsea and I think it's mainly down to him wanting to be here.

Just give him the job, it's his personal goal and the man pretty much achieves the majority of his football goals he sets. No one cares about Pep being all about himself.

I think that the problem for United is that they made a commitment with the Van Gaal / Giggs situation. When they brought Van Gaal in, they weren't simply employing another manager. They wanted Van Gaal to establish some structure to the club with Giggs shadowing him. I get the feeling that the board is pleased with what VG has been doing behind the scenes, but obviously disappointed with the team performances. With United's current commitment, it's difficult to just suddenly axe the entire coaching set up assembled by Van Gaal mid season because everyones pissed off.
If at the end of the season United choose to fire van gaal and his coaching staff, Mourinho will be an option, but the club will want a high level of commitment from him. The one thing I like about Mourinho is that he has the kind of character and mental strength it takes to manage a club like United. He also has a remarkable way of inspiring players to believe they can win in any situation.
My gripe with him is that he's so egocentric, and at times tactically negative. When he loses it, he really loses it.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots

Mourinho?

He's out of work.
If you think Mourinho fancies this job because he is out of work.. you couldn't be more wrong.

I have no doubt that this is the job he covets over any other in world football. He would love to stay here for the rest of his career..(until his late 60s where he would no doubt fancy a shot at the World Cup/Euros). But in terms of club football, he sees us as the pinnacle.

He loves english football and he sees United as the most glamorous and honorable institution in English football. He would pick us over the likes of Real Madrid/Barcelona.

There a few managers out there that have the passion for this club that Mourinho does, believe me.

Turnip

likes to be spanked with games consoles
I am considering changing my vote to yes, now Pep is out of the question.
Exactly the same. Suddenly we need someone how who's capable of closing the gaping gap between us and them, Jose seems like a gamble but at least there's a chance of success, unlike it seems with LvG. I still wouldn't want him here long though, just can't see him ever achieving long term success at one club and don't really want to be another top club that changes managers every 2 years.

RustyS

Ideally, no, I don't want Mourinho. But the thought of Giggs as manager scares the hell out of me and I feel that it will come down to one of the two.

So if Mourinho is to be hired now/at the end of the season, I will generally be happy enough that it is not Giggs.

The manager who I thought would be ideal for us will be at City next season.

C'est Moi Cantona

Mourinho could easily go either way, but if it was possible I am coming around to the idea a bit more, he'll attract the right players if given the money, and the Mourinho - Pep rivalry could be akin to the great Fergie - Wenger pre Chelsea/City oil money years, plus we'll likely win something.

I am just struggling to get past the playing style, youth, attitude, and sell by date issues a bit, but he could maybe sort those out.

Likely scenario though is we retain LvG, as I don't think it'll take much to persaude Woodward to do so, then follow through with the Giggs plan in 2017.

dcullivanio

Passing over Mourinho at the end of the season, and possibly even now, in favour of a hopeful belief that we'll select a manager to create a new dynasty is idealistic but misguided. Fergie's reign is long gone from our own club and which other club out there has shown a commitment to creating their own managerial Dynasty other than Wenger at Arsenal? (Which we all know how unsustained their success has been). When Fergie arrived we hadn't won the league in 26 years and the whole make up of Football was different. Even then it took him 7 years to achieve league title success.

Unfortunately the hope of another long serving and ultimately successful manager is a pipedream. It won't happen again for a long time if ever. We finished as Runners up in '88 under Fergie before placing 11th, 13th and 6th in the next three seasons. If that happened now any manager would be out of the door with the majority of fans baying for managerial blood in the process. Look at Rodgers at Liverpool, they almost won the league, lost their best player and fell down the table. Rodgers was gone less than 18 months later and their fans wanted him gone. That's modern day football. For all we know, LVG could win us the title next season, but most of us, including me, want him out sooner rather than later. I think this clearly shows that we're not prepared to wait for success and to build their team and systems, unless that manager comes in and everything is on the up from day one without any blips.

To expect to find anyone to come in and create a new legacy is madness. It could happen organically, but to actively seek that slim opportunity rather than bringing in a proven managerial winner is ludicrous. None of the other suggestions that have been floated about have shown any long term success at any club either so why are they more eligible than Mourinho? City, unfortunately, look like they have had a clear footballing pathway in place for a few years now culminating in Guardiola's appointment. I really hope it fails - it may do - but it probably won't. United on the other hand don't seem to know which direction they're going in from a footballing perspective as the club seem focussed on Asian merchandising etc etc.

The upshot is, it would be foolish to not appoint Mourinho. They would be even more foolish to then go on and appoint Giggs.

RedRover

Mourinho could easily go either way, but if it was possible I am coming around to the idea a bit more, he'll attract the right players if given the money, and the Mourinho - Pep rivalry could be akin to the great Fergie - Wenger pre Chelsea/City oil money years, plus we'll likely win something.

I am just struggling to get past the playing style, youth, attitude, and sell by date issues a bit, but he could maybe sort those out.

Likely scenario though is we retain LvG, as I don't think it'll take much to persaude Woodward to do so, then follow through with the Giggs plan in 2017.
Van Gaal will be gone in the summer in my opinion - if not before. This transfer window speaks volumes - no spending, despite needing players, strongly suggests that they don't want to bring players in that the next man may not want. This season is bring written off to an extent.

I can't see Giggs getting the job - the club just can't afford to give him the time to get to grips with it. No Champions league means revenue will fall and as soon as that happens it's panic stations

I think Mourinho is a shoe-in. There's a suggestion his sides play "boring" football which to me isn't always fair. last year he ground out results with an under performing team to get them over the line - but at times earlier in the year they were superb to watch. Likewise at Real Madrid, where his side scored plenty of goals. He's pragmatic when he needs to be a bit like Fergie was. That's not a major issue for me.

Mostly he has the pedigree and the stature to take the job on and the appetitie to win. I think he'd love taking on Guardiola again. He obviously comes with a potential downside but hopefully, if he gets the job he realises that he needs to curb elements of his personality and mellow a bit. He needs to find somewhere to settle down.

RedRover

Passing over Mourinho at the end of the season, and possibly even now, in favour of a hopeful belief that we'll select a manager to create a new dynasty is idealistic but misguided. Fergie's reign is long gone from our own club and which other club out there has shown a commitment to creating their own managerial Dynasty other than Wenger at Arsenal? (Which we all know how unsustained their success has been). When Fergie arrived we hadn't won the league in 26 years and the whole make up of Football was different. Even then it took him 7 years to achieve league title success.

Unfortunately the hope of another long serving and ultimately successful manager is a pipedream. It won't happen again for a long time if ever. We finished as Runners up in '88 under Fergie before placing 11th, 13th and 6th in the next three seasons. If that happened now any manager would be out of the door with the majority of fans baying for managerial blood in the process. Look at Rodgers at Liverpool, they almost won the league, lost their best player and fell down the table. Rodgers was gone less than 18 months later and their fans wanted him gone. That's modern day football. For all we know, LVG could win us the title next season, but most of us, including me, want him out sooner rather than later. I think this clearly shows that we're not prepared to wait for success and to build their team and systems, unless that manager comes in and everything is on the up from day one without any blips.

To expect to find anyone to come in and create a new legacy is madness. It could happen organically, but to actively seek that slim opportunity rather than bringing in a proven managerial winner is ludicrous. None of the other suggestions that have been floated about have shown any long term success at any club either so why are they more eligible than Mourinho? City, unfortunately, look like they have had a clear footballing pathway in place for a few years now culminating in Guardiola's appointment. I really hope it fails - it may do - but it probably won't. United on the other hand don't seem to know which direction they're going in from a footballing perspective as the club seem focussed on Asian merchandising etc etc.

The upshot is, it would be foolish to not appoint Mourinho. They would be even more foolish to then go on and appoint Giggs.
Well said.

Too much looking backwards at what's gone rather than looking forwards. The days of managers hanging around for decades are long gone - Wenger will be the last. The game is just too much about "win at all costs". Appointing a bloke because you're desperate to find the new Sir Alex is madness. If a new man comes in and stays three or four years and has success then that's as good as you'll get.

That said - Mourinho may very well come in and stay long term. In fact, given the context of where he's at he's arguably the most likely to do so - if that's what we're looking for.

I don't see the board being daft enough to give Giggs the job. Whatever romantic notions people may have the board showed their true colours in sacking Moyes as soon as it became clear we weren't moving forwards - despite the "he's here for the long hall and will get time" rhetoric that followed his appointment. Bottom line - the club needs to be competing at the top level to keep the money rolling in - and they'll be well aware of that.

PlayerOne

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
If we miss out on Mourinho then we're in the same boat we were in when SAF retired. Missing out on top managers and ending up with someone not good enough.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
To be honest, i'm not really keen on him at all. Apart from his antics and his complete refusal to look at the youth academy, I am not looking forward to us going defensive at the sight of any decent team.

BennyBlanco

fixated with Shaw's bum
To be honest, i'm not really keen on him at all. Apart from his antics and his complete refusal to look at the youth academy, I am not looking forward to us going defensive at the sight of any decent team.
Not saying you don't have a point, but Sir Alex used to switch from 442 to 433 against Arsenal, pack midfield and play on the counter quite often when Querioz was his assistant, it worked almost everytime too, and games like Barcelona 08 semi's and Chelsea 2006 1-0@ OT (vs Mourinho's orginal Chelsea side) were some of the most defensive minded games I've seen United play bar Moyes vs Bayern. Infact a lot of Querioz's time here you could see we were more tactically responsible, particuarly away from home in Europe and big games..

You have to say.... it works, or at least can work quite well, that, and we have Some history of it prior, isn't that what partly what a coaches responsiblity is? to set up his team each game with the best chance of winning?

vidic blood & sand

I got a Morbid curiosity about Mourinho at United. The little shit inside of me is curious what would happen, like years ago when I was curious about throwing aerosol cans on the bonfire.

Grylte

"nothing wrong with some friendly incest, bro"
I am hoping that Woody have been in touch with Mourinho behind LvG's back, and told him to figure out which players he wants, so that when LvG is booted at the end of the season, or even before, Jose is ready and prepared!

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
I reckon the board will use the excuse that José turned United down previously*, so he won't be asked again.

*When Mourinho supposedly told SAF that he'd promised to return to Chelsea.

JoaquinJoaquin

People complaining about Jose not utilizing the youth makes me laugh out loud, We need to get back to the top before it's too late. Youth players getting a game is the least of our worries at the moment.

pseudo_canadian

Too bad that's exactly what's going to happen.

Florida Man

Cartoon expert and crap superhero
I dont hate Mourinho. He's a great coach, and I like his personality. I'd love for to remain in the premier league. If he came to us I'd want him to be a success, but for me he'd prbably be here short term then be off.
Would rather we got someone long term like SAF, even if it meant we struggled for a few years
Mourinho staying for more than a mere few years is far more likely than us finding the next SAF, which is about the equivalent to a snowball's chance in hell. And the idea of trying to find that kind of 20+ year appointment is so insanely illogical.

Florida Man

Cartoon expert and crap superhero
People complaining about Jose not utilizing the youth makes me laugh out loud, We need to get back to the top before it's too late. Youth players getting a game is the least of our worries at the moment.
Thinking about it, it's not like it was in Chelsea's/Inter's/Madrid's top interest to promote youth players when their goal was to win trophies and win trophies quickly.

Moonred

Surprised so many don't want him. I would have liked him before and would take him now again. He is a bit of a cnut and his whinging is annoying but if he can get back to his best, these things won't bother me sitting in the same camp. But he would be under massive pressure due to both our underperformance and his disastrous latest stint. It could work and I do not doubt his passion to get back to where he wants to be.

hobbers

The longevity argument is a non-starter. Pep is only going to be at City for 3 seasons, assuming he doesn't flop. There is no more long termism in football. That era has well and truly past. Clubs that don't accept it will suffer badly.

I am not looking forward to us going defensive at the sight of any decent team.
Which is exactly what we did under SAF

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Much rather short term success then short term slump. Or worse long term mediocrity