POLL ADDED: Would you want Jose Mourinho as the next Manchester United manager?

Would you want Jose Mourinho as manager of Manchester United?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Zoo

@SkySport Mourinho-Manchester United: deal close. That derby with City of Guardiola!

FujiVice

Seems the most obvious thing in the world that he'll be our manager next year. I imagine Van Gaal will "graciously" step aside and make it look like Woodward hasnt had to sack him. I cant see Van Gaal leaving until the summer, though.

Mainoldo

Lets all hope!! Give him the warchest and we can sit back and enjoy this Manchester rivalry!!

sunama

Baghdad Bob
My only point was that I'd think carefully before hiring the worst behaved manager I can remember seeing. The fact that we've had managers/players who have behaved badly in the past doesn't mean anything as, in my opinion, Mourinho is worse. In fact he's so bad that I think he'd struggle to last here in the long term, in the same way he's struggled to last at his previous clubs.
Do you want a warrior leading our players onto the pitch or wimp who wouldn't say boo to a goose?
Fergie was a warrior and absolutely "stuck it", to the media and referees.
During our glory days, Keane was the main man and he also "stuck it" to anyone who opposed MUFC.

Right now, we have a bunch of nice guys (players and manager) who are being walked all over.

The other issue is Guardiola. I just don't believe LVG has the fire power to go toe to toe with Guardiola. With Jose, you absolutely know that the Manchester Derby will be like going to war and that our players and manager will be completely "up for it".

sunama

Baghdad Bob
He splits every dressing rooms he runs( including Inter Milan by the way where the squad was apparently a feuding mess when he left),
. DO NOT WANT!!!!!
I'm sure Inter Milan cursed the day he won them the treble. They should have had him shot for that. ;)

Antisocial

Has a Sony home cinema
He had an interview with Mendes a month ago about the futures of Ronaldo and Mourinho

So a Mendes-favoured hack maybe? Might've been leaked some false information in order to pursue some Mendes objective - probably trying to flush-out a genuine job offer for Jose from a rich club that might be scared we're going to hire him?

Basically when it comes to anything related to Mendes, I am very sceptical about what the media reports, and the ultimate motives behind it.

Deleted member 78215

If I see the bollocks about Mourinho's youth record one more time I'm going to explode. It's the most inane, narrow-minded, pointless bullshit out there.

Seriously, it's fecking ridiculous.

How many youth players did Fergie bring through post-2004 (when Mourinho first emerged as a top manager)?

Pep at Barca? Pep at Bayern?

Ancelotti at PSG, Chelsea, Madrid, Milan?

Klopp at Dortmund?

Simeone at Atletico?

Wenger?

Conte?

Allegri?

Blanc?

And I'm not talking about giving a few perfunctory games here and there, I'm talking about actually taking players from the youth team and making them first-team regulars.

The fact is, in the 'modern' era hardly any big clubs are replete with academy players. It's a stupid expectation.

The obsession with Mourinho's youth record is just plain idiocy.

I also see Hiddink giving youth players a chance, what with Chelsea's players in terrible form and having relatively little to play for. Oh no, wait, Hiddink isn't doing that.

Last edited by a moderator:

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Pep at Barca took on so many youth players really well. Including Messi.

Deleted member 78215

Pep at Barca took on so many youth players really well. Including Messi.
Messi is the best player of all time, you think Mourinho would have ignored him? And Messi was already established in the team under Rijkaard.

By my count, Pep truly established Pedro (who was 20), Busquets and Thiago.

Deleted member 78215

Now, let's address Scoring and Defensive records under Mourinho teams.

Leagues only.

2014-15:

Second most goals scored
Best defensive record

13-14

Third most goals scored (with Ba and Torres as main strikers)
Best defensive record

12-13

Second most goals (103)
Third best defensive record (42)

11-12

Most goals scored (121)
Second best defensive record (32)

10-11

Most goals scored (102)
Second best defensive record

09-10

Most goals scored
Best defensive record

08-09

Most goals scored
Best defensive record

06-07

Second most goals scored
Best defensive record

05-06

Joint most goals scored
Best defensive record

04-05

Second most goals scored
Best defensive record

03-04

Most goals scored
Best defensive record

02-03

Second most goals scored
Best defensive record

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
One thing we must do of we hire Mourinho is at we must get a DOF. We can't have Mendes using us as a cash cow to sign his clients.

Mainoldo

If I see the bollocks about Mourinho's youth record one more time I'm going to explode. It's the most inane, narrow-minded, pointless bullshit out there.

How many youth players did Fergie bring through post-2004 (when Mourinho first emerged as a top manager)?

Klopp at Dortmund?

Simeone at Atletico?

Wenger?

Conte?

Allegri?

Blanc?

And I'm not talking about giving a few perfunctory games here and there, I'm talking about actually taking players from the youth team and making them first-team regulars.

The fact is, in the 'modern' era hardly any big clubs are replete with academy players. It's a stupid expectation.

I also see Hiddink giving youth players a chance, what with Chelsea's players in terrible form and having relatively little to play for. Oh no, wait, Hiddink isn't doing that.
Good point. But realistically.. Who cares right now. We have a good crop of youngsters Memphis, Shaw, lingard, Martial and hopefully Januzaj how much youth do we need.

Name another 'top club' we this list. Not many.. We need to stop with this United wat rubbish. We are actually worse than West Ham.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
Not sure if the argument is he doesn't trust young players or he doesn't use them enough but here are some young players who had 15+ apps in a season he was in charge.

Chelsea
  • Zouma(20),
  • Thibaut Courtois(22), (Replaced Cech)
  • Glen Johnson(20),
  • Salomon Kalou(21)
  • Ajren Robben(21),
  • Robert Huth(20),
  • Carlton Cole(21),
  • Salah(21) - 10 Apps after January

Real Madrid
  • Varane(18),
  • Álvaro Morata(21)

Inter
  • Balotelli(19),
  • Davide Santon(18)

Porto
  • Bosingwa(21),
  • Bruno Moraes(22),
  • Carlos Alberto(20)

Ventura

I'm changing my vote from No .... to

Hell no!
One thing we must do of we hire Mourinho is at we must get a DOF. We can't have Mendes using us as a cash cow to sign his clients.
Another problem among many problems with Mourinho - he seems to be owned by Mendes. Some say he signed Fallcao to make Mendes happy, there were certainly no football related reasons to do it.

I just changed my vote from No .... to

Hell no!

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
Part of united when they were at their best was the ruthless style that made everyone label us as cnuts. Keane, Ferguson, and later on with Ronaldo's show boating and Rooney's angry boy antics - we've always been a bit dickish because that's what winners that are obsessed with winning games will do.

Mourinho in that sense would be a perfect fit. We'd finally have some spine!

MarkC

I'd worry about getting a DOF if we got Mourinho. I think it would lead to confrontation between the two as Mourinho likes a specific type of player in each position and so it's best to give him the final say.

It's one of the reasons I think he would do well here being fully in control of football matters. I think we would have seen him do slightly better at Madrid if he hadn't had players forced on him which i'm sure he did. Even at Chelsea there were reports he didn't want Pedro it was Abramovich etc.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
I'd worry about getting a DOF if we got Mourinho. I think it would lead to confrontation between the two as Mourinho likes a specific type of player in each position and so it's best to give him the final say.

It's one of the reasons I think he would do well here being fully in control of football matters. I think we would have seen him do slightly better at Madrid if he hadn't had players forced on him which i'm sure he did. Even at Chelsea there were reports he didn't want Pedro it was Abramovich etc.
All his transfers were brilliant until last Summer's horror show.

MarkC

All his transfers were brilliant until last Summer's horror show.
I'd agree that's why i'd be happy to see him decide who he wants.

I don't think there are many really great managers who would work well with a DOF telling the club who to sign. Think we could end up seeing a LVG v Koeman type situation if we did that.

Adebesi

The other issue is Guardiola. I just don't believe LVG has the fire power to go toe to toe with Guardiola. With Jose, you absolutely know that the Manchester Derby will be like going to war and that our players and manager will be completely "up for it".
Im quite ambivalent on this specific point. On the one hand I agree, City have Guardiola and Mourinho is the only manager I can imagine making us competitive with them.

But on the other, I remember the Classicos when they were in charge and it always seemed to me that Guardiola had so much more class than Mourinho. I dont want to get bogged down in the whole "Mourinho is a bastard, we only want nice guys managing us" thing, clearly 1) SAF was a bastard and 2) the football is what counts. But still, it was the contrast, how much class Guardiola had, that really accentuated what a massive bellend Mourinho can be. It was only then that I really soured on the idea of him managing us. Though now I think we dont have much choice and we'll just have to deal with the fact that City will have a much better and more likable manager than we will. Frankly that is going to be the case whether we have Mourinho as manager or not, but it will be much more stark if we do.

BennyBlanco

fixated with Shaw's bum
My mind may be playing tricks on me but I don't recall Mourinho winning very many Classico's with Real over Pep's Barca, was not the 5-0 anhilation under his watch also? what I do remember was him acting a complete tit purposely and try to get his players to turn each game into a war.
I presume he had to try something to unfocus that Barca side and try to take them out of their comfort zone but it certainly wasn't pretty and I don't recall too many of the head to heads going in Reals favour despite the underhanded tactics employed.

Munich_1958

Now, let's address Scoring and Defensive records under Mourinho teams.

Leagues only.

2014-15:

Second most goals scored
Best defensive record

13-14

Third most goals scored (with Ba and Torres as main strikers)
Best defensive record

12-13

Second most goals (103)
Third best defensive record (42)

11-12

Most goals scored (121)
Second best defensive record (32)

10-11

Most goals scored (102)
Second best defensive record

09-10

Most goals scored
Best defensive record

08-09

Most goals scored
Best defensive record

06-07

Second most goals scored
Best defensive record

05-06

Joint most goals scored
Best defensive record

04-05

Second most goals scored
Best defensive record

03-04

Most goals scored
Best defensive record

02-03

Second most goals scored
Best defensive record

This has been my point every time this debate starts on boring Mourinho, It was boring Mourinho for the second half of last season other than that he had some great teams and great football, people are very short minded

Munich_1958

My mind may be playing tricks on me but I don't recall Mourinho winning very many Classico's with Real over Pep's Barca, was not the 5-0 anhilation under his watch also? what I do remember was him acting a complete tit purposely and try to get his players to turn each game into a war.
I presume he had to try something to unfocus that Barca side and try to take them out of their comfort zone but it certainly wasn't pretty and I don't recall too many of the head to heads going in Reals favour despite the underhanded tactics employed.
A match is not what matter its the collection of tropies at the end, Mourinho spent what about 2 and half years at RM and won I think 2 copel del Ryes and a league title up against Peps mighty Barca, thats pretty impressive

EDIT: sorry one Copel and one super cup on top of the league

Last edited:

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
A match is not what matter its the collection of tropies at the end, Mourinho spent what about 2 and half years at RM and won I think 2 copel del Ryes and a league title up against Peps mighty Barca, thats pretty impressive
Mourinho won 1 La Liga title,1 Copa Del Rey and 1 Spanish Super Cup. When his teams didn't win the league they fell short by 9 points in 2010-11 and 15 in 2012-13. They did the 2011-12 comfortably by 9 points to be fair. Barcelona won 2 La Liga titles, 1 Copa Del Rey and 1 Spanish Super Cup and the Champions League so i'd say Barcelona silverware wise had the better of it during Mourinho's time in Spain.

Munich_1958

Mourinho won 1 La Liga title,1 Copa Del Rey and 1 Spanish Super Cup. When his teams didn't win the league they fell short by 9 points in 2010-11 and 15 in 2012-13. They did the 2011-12 comfortably by 9 points to be fair. Barcelona won 2 La Liga titles, 1 Copa Del Rey and 1 Spanish Super Cup and the Champions League so i'd say Barcelona silverware wise had the better of it during Mourinho's time in Spain.
Yes i corrected my post after I checked up on it, yes well this was the Barcelona team that has been dubbed the best club team ever, So Mourinho short stint there was successful IMO, Mourinho has proven he is a winner in Spain, Portugal, Italy and in england thats 4 of the top 5 leagues in Europe including the most difficult the premiership, He has conquered Europe with Inter and Porto, he is possibly the best Modern manager in football today and IMO Pep will only prove he is better by being successful in the premier league, Peps stint at Bayern should not even be considered an achievement IMO its a one horse race and would take a disaster to win nothing domestically with Bayern, He was amazing with Barcelona but again it was the best crop of players to ever play club football together and he didnt have to put many of them there...

I am Mourinho all the way, I think he is tailor made for Manchester United, his football is far from boring only short memories will suggest that, I hope to god he becomes our next manager his passion and success is what we want

dcullivanio

Klopp at Dortmund?

Simeone at Atletico?

Wenger?

Conte?

Allegri?

Blanc?

100% agree. Good Post.

Im quite ambivalent on this specific point. On the one hand I agree, City have Guardiola and Mourinho is the only manager I can imagine making us competitive with them.

But on the other, I remember the Classicos when they were in charge and it always seemed to me that Guardiola had so much more class than Mourinho. I dont want to get bogged down in the whole "Mourinho is a bastard, we only want nice guys managing us" thing, clearly 1) SAF was a bastard and 2) the football is what counts. But still, it was the contrast, how much class Guardiola had, that really accentuated what a massive bellend Mourinho can be. It was only then that I really soured on the idea of him managing us. Though now I think we dont have much choice and we'll just have to deal with the fact that City will have a much better and more likable manager than we will. Frankly that is going to be the case whether we have Mourinho as manager or not, but it will be much more stark if we do.
Pretty much agree with this too. His Madrid stint was the era when Mourinho really managed to look like a total knob at times. I also agree that City would gain the likability factor in the Pep Vs. Mou war and if we could've had Pep then that would've been great, but that ship has sailed. That said, I don't really give a shit about being liked by other clubs and just wan't United to remain as competitive as possible. By track record the evidence suggests the best man to do that for us is surely Mourinho.

I very much doubt we'd be able to completely dominate the league again with Mourinho, but doubt we would with any manager. I think we'll see a battle for the top from now on between us (hopefully), Chelsea and City on a rotational basis. I'd rather be competitive and potentially winning things with Mourinho than passing him over for a nice bloke who'll turn us into an Arsenal just consistently battling for 3rd/4th place with no real chance of a league title unless everybody else f's up!