POLL ADDED: Would you want Jose Mourinho as the next Manchester United manager?

Would you want Jose Mourinho as manager of Manchester United?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
After about 400 anti-Mourinho posts you still have yet to provide a credible alternative. Has anything hit you yet?

Why do I have to provide a credible alternative to Jose Mourinho? We aren't sacking Van Gaal yet, so there's no need. But as I have said though, I think there are quite a few managers who could come in and do very well here, including Pochettino. In 6 months time, Gary Neville might have shown his qualities in Spain, in which case he'd be my no.1 target.

Why do I have to provide a credible alternative to Jose Mourinho? We aren't sacking Van Gaal yet, so there's no need. But as I have said though, I think there are quite a few managers who could come in and do very well here, including Pochettino. In 6 months time, Gary Neville might have shown his qualities in Spain, in which case he'd be my no.1 target.

You would prefer someone with only six months experience... to one of the best managers ever??? This says it all!

:lol: blimey!

You would prefer someone with only six months experience... to one of the best managers ever??? This says it all!

No, I'd rather a talented young manager who plays attacking football and is steeped in United's tradition to a guy who parks the bus in big games and never developes youth. We will not be the one club where Mourinho does everything differently.

No, I'd rather a talented young manager who plays attacking football and is steeped in United's tradition to a guy who parks the bus in big games and never developes youth. We will not be the one club where Mourinho does everything differently.

Let me ask a question does your theory of Mourinho parking the bus some from the second half of last season like most other? Now let me ask this was Mourinhos first spell at Chelsea boring or his spell at Madrid who out scored the marvellous Pep and his Barcelona with over 100 goals in his league winning season, was porto a park the bus team?

Let me ask a question does your theory of Mourinho parking the bus some from the second half of last season like most other? Now let me ask this was Mourinhos first spell at Chelsea boring or his spell at Madrid who out scored the marvellous Pep and his Barcelona with over 100 goals in his league winning season, was porto a park the bus team?

My opinion of his football comes from watching his teams play. In his first spell at Chelsea they went from being dynamic with the likes of Robben and Duff and enjoying high-scoring thrillers against Barcelona to being progressively efficient, to eventually ruthlessly efficient. By that time, Robben and Duff were gone, and we saw Jose in his element of dreary 1-2.0 football. They would batter the odd team at home who opened up to chase the game, but they closed most games out by the odd goal with no desire to stay on the front foot and score more goals. At the time, we were used to United always trying to score goals, no matter the stage of the game, although in Mourinho's frst spell in England we weren't at our best in terms of quality.

His Madrid side used to routinely go out on the pitch to kick that Barcelona side and played on the counterattack more often than not, utilising Ronaldo and Di Maria's speed. Granted, we used to kick Arsenal when they were technically superior to us too, but Ferguson's first instinct was always to attack. It was only towards the end of his time here that he adopted a more pragmatic approach to overcome European opposition away from home. Herein lies the difference. Mourinho's first instinct is to nullify his opposition first and then score second. United has a history of asserting itself in games and forcing the other team to worry about us.

Mourinho's an inherently negative manager. He cannot coach any other way. It's his bread and butter.

Just saw this on F365 by a user. I thought I might share it here.

Manchester United: History repeating
History is truly repeating itself. The legendary dynastic manager (Busby/Ferguson) retired leaving an ageing squad in the hands of an appointment based on nepotism (McGinnis/ Moyes).

After that disaster, a more accomplished name was brought in who at first achieved the bare minimum, which was then drastically overrated because it seemed so much better than the previous disaster (O’Farrel/ Van Gaal) and yet, the football never seemed satisfactory even in the midst of a few winning runs. Results caught up to performances and this individual was eventually and predictably found out.

Seeking personality, the board plumps for the most divisive, brash and egotistical candidate possible in a desperate attempt to restore the club’s “mojo” (Docherty/ Mourinho). The story continues…

Just saw this on F365 by a user. I thought I might share it here.

That is exactly what is going to happen imo. United board will eventually have to sack LvG, I truly believe that. In this case, I feel that I would do a better job than the United board :)

The last successful youth player to come through was more than 10 seasons ago and that to was a dodge johny evans. During this time you have let go of the likes of Pogba and Januzaj. I would say United is the perfect fit for Mourinho. Both dont really give a shit about youth.
Did I say we had successful youth products? No. Amos, Wootton Blackett, McNair, W. Keane, Brady, Borthwick-Jackson, Cleverley, Gibson, Lingard, Januzaj, Pereira, Welbeck, Wilson. Now it is obvious that very little of these players made much of an impact but I wasn't saying our youth system is flourishing, I said that Mourinho rarely gives these types of players a chance. Some of these may of made it but ya have to give them a chance to see if they do stand out. Loftus Cheek was one of the only players Mourinho has given some time to recently.

My opinion of his football comes from watching his teams play. In his first spell at Chelsea they went from being dynamic with the likes of Robben and Duff and enjoying high-scoring thrillers against Barcelona to being progressively efficient, to eventually ruthlessly efficient. By that time, Robben and Duff were gone, and we saw Jose in his element of dreary 1-2.0 football. They would batter the odd team at home who opened up to chase the game, but they closed most games out by the odd goal with no desire to stay on the front foot and score more goals. At the time, we were used to United always trying to score goals, no matter the stage of the game, although in Mourinho's frst spell in England we weren't at our best in terms of quality.

His Madrid side used to routinely go out on the pitch to kick that Barcelona side and played on the counterattack more often than not, utilising Ronaldo and Di Maria's speed. Granted, we used to kick Arsenal when they were technically superior to us too, but Ferguson's first instinct was always to attack. It was only towards the end of his time here that he adopted a more pragmatic approach to overcome European opposition away from home. Herein lies the difference. Mourinho's first instinct is to nullify his opposition first and then score second. United has a history of asserting itself in games and forcing the other team to worry about us.

Mourinho's an inherently negative manager. He cannot coach any other way. It's his bread and butter.

I disagree I think he is an effective manager and on his first 2 seasons at chelsea (04/05 &05/06) his teams scored 72 goals on both occassions in the league, at United with SAF we scored 58 and 72 and in both seasons we conceded a considerable amount more also in 08/09 we still had Ronaldo ect.. we scored 68 goals in the league while Mourinhos Inter scored 70, so here is 3 seasons alone without me digging into his time at Madrid (which we know were high scoring seasons, one broke the La liga record) that he has out scored SAF. I believe this assessment of Mourinho and his boring football is totally flawed, he can certainly turn a match boring to make sure he wins but overall its not what you say.

:lol:

José Mourinho to replace God

Ex-Chelsea manager José Mourinho has revealed that he has been offered the position of God and intends to start in the New Year.

“It is a big honour for me,” said the prickly Portuguese, “but it's a bigger honour for the whole of mankind to have the Special One in charge. I hope to return the human race to former glories.”

Mourinho had been linked with the position of God ever since God resigned following a disappointing 4.5 billion years in charge that saw countless wars, devastating famines, natural disasters, itchy jumpers, and the Transformers film franchise – particularly the second one.

Whilst he won’t be in charge for what is traditionally a tricky Christmas period, Mr Mourinho is expected to be watching closely how the human race performs with a view to making any changes in the New Year. The news has largely been greeted warmly by fans of the human race.

“Well, it’s a new boss for me, which will be a challenge,” said Pope Francis in response to the appointment, “but I’m excited to see what a younger man can do, and he’ll certainly have my full support with whatever ideas he tries to introduce.”

Mr Mourinho is expected to do pretty well for a few years and then fall out with the whole of humanity and be replaced by Carlo Ancelotti.

(NewsThump)

Looks like Gardiola is going to City and Ancelotti to Bayern. So I guess Jose is the next best option available. Disappointing. Pep should have been ours.

Ever the optimist I see the current situation as follows:

1. We're waiting till after the Chelsea game to employ Mourinho and that's why we haven't sacked Van Gaal yet.
2. Pep has agreed to take over at the end of the season and that's why we haven't sacked Van Gaal yet.

:D

Ever the optimist I see the current situation as follows:

1. We're waiting till after the Chelsea game to employ Mourinho and that's why we haven't sacked Van Gaal yet.
2. Pep has agreed to take over at the end of the season and that's why we haven't sacked Van Gaal yet.

:D

Sadly our board are such geniuses that we will miss out on top coaches and they will give the job back to Moyes because they feel he will have learned a lot during his time in Spain

Isn't one of the biggest gripes about LVG his playing style?

Isn't one of the biggest gripes about Jose his playing style?

If Guardiola is going to City then there's only 1 man I want in charge of us to do battle with that combination going forward. Jose is the only candidate you can put up against Guardiola, the renewed rivalry between the pair this time in the same city? Well it'd certainly be entertaining.

By virtue of significant winning experience of the EPL, beholden to simply winning at any cost and needing to prove a point, I think Mourinho would kick Peps ass if he managed United vs Peps City

Ditto lvg

Yet you will defend lvg till the cows come home

Maybe so but at least he takes a chance on youngsters from time to time...not that I don't like Mourinho but for me he's not the right man for the job just now.

Maybe so but at least he takes a chance on youngsters from time to time...not that I don't like Mourinho but for me he's not the right man for the job just now.

Van Gaal deserves no credit for this. He loaned out our best two young players after dismissing their playing chances, sold most of our squad players and then the annual injury crisis in defence left him with no choice but to play the young lads.

After about 400 anti-Mourinho posts you still have yet to provide a credible alternative. Has anything hit you yet?
It's amazes me how people who say they dont want jose still can't answer this question.

In a perfect world I'd pick Pep, klopp and ancelotti before him but other clubs decided to be proactive and have secured those managers. That leaves us with Jose, a man who has found a certain level of success at every club he's been at, regardless of his flaws. If there is someone more accomplished than him on the market then im all ears. But there isn't.

feck hiring a midtable manager without a trophy and top club experience, last time we did that it failed horrifically and we still haven't recovered. Fergie won titles before he came to utd, he wasn't just some any manager.

Except sexy sexy Jose wins all the trophies(if you ignore all the times he doesn't win). If we sign him we'll walk the league this year, apparently, and the Euros next summer.

:lol::lol:

All aboard the José hype train!

Van Gaal deserves no credit for this. He loaned out our best two young players after dismissing their playing chances, sold most of our squad players and then the annual injury crisis in defence left him with no choice but to play the young lads.

Erm, he sold all our old players and bought a 21 year old winger and a 19 year old striker. He also played Januzaj plenty at the beginning of the year who later decided he wanted to be loaned. And a loan for Wilson is absolutely the right decision. I'm pretty sure as well that he's said one of the reasons he prefers a small squad is so the young lads get to play a bit. And finally, if he gives a youngster a chance and they grab it, they get more chances which is nice. See McNair, Blackett (ok best avoid that one), Lingard, Borthwick-Jackson...

You might not agree with many of his decisions regarding the squad or tactics, but to try and deny he's purposefully given youngsters a chance is laughably stupid.

Although I'm highly sceptical about Jose, I was watching the 2013/14 season review last night, and I'd give him a shot at the job just for scything down the scousers on their march to victory and his ensuing celebration :D

Although I'm highly sceptical about Jose, I was watching the 2013/14 season review last night, and I'd give him a shot at the job just for scything down the scousers on their march to victory and his ensuing celebration :D

:drool: He really fecking hates the scousers, doesn't he?

Prior to Mourinho's sacking the Poll was approximately 70% against Mourinho being our next manager. Amazing how another United defeat and the special one's current availability have swayed the polling over the last week.

Personally I'm not really sure how I would feel if LVG was booted with Mourinho succeeding him. I don't even fully know if I wan't LVG to be sacked or not! Ultimately I think the writing is on the wall for LVG now and, barring a miraculous turnaround in style and getting back to winning ways, I think his position at OT is becoming more untenable by the day. It's a shame really because his character suits our unique club but his football is utter utter garbage, which clearly doesn't suit our club. It doesn't seem that things are going to change under him and I can see us passing the ball sideways forever more whilst he remains at the helm.

Mourinho would bring a different approach no doubt. He'd have to be a raving lunatic to not bring a different approach when all and sundry can see the discontent aimed at LVG. I do worry that he would still be too negative for us but there is no doubt that the majority of us would be placated as long as we were winning things again and playing even slightly more attractive football. I think Mourinho's 'negative' approach has been made too much of at times. Yes, he can be negative and often is, but he has also shown attacking football alongside the resoluteness. Chelsea were fantastic in the first half of last season.

I don't really care too much about the fiery press conferences and disputes. I actually want a United manager to have a bit of the 'F+ck You' about him to be honest especially one who can wind the scousers up!.

The lack of youth talent promotion is my biggest worry. However despite plenty of our youngsters being given the chance over the last 5-10 years we've actually not brought many (if any) through that have maintained success. This includes the latter Fergie years, Moyes and LVG. Which players have actually made a real and lasting impression in the First Team set-up?? Jonny Evans and Welbeck probably achieved the most appearances but they're both players who have since left and who were often derided on this very forum.

Ultimately Mourinho would bring some excitement back to the club. At least he would be remonstrating on the touchline which would make us all happier! He has a proven track record with a few hiccups. Other than Pep who can really boast a flawless record anyway? He has massive PL experience and as many have said would almost guarantee a league title in the next couple of seasons. He also has CL winning pedigree of more recent times, rather than LVG's solitary success which is now over 20 seasons ago when football was a different game.

Mourinho could be a great manager of our club but just as equally if things went wrong, they would probably go very wrong.
Good post.

The fact that such a successful manager cannot garner a greater level of enthusiasm shows just how much baggage he carries. The baggage will become less and less important if we carry on losing games though.

At this stage, can anyone really say Mourinho isn't worth a gamble, even with his baggage? The only way we shouldn't get Mourinho to sign on the dotted line this afternoon is if we are certain we could get Pep, and that just isn't going to happen.

Mou-rin-ho! Are you listening? You better keeeep, that trophy glistening. We'll be back in May, to take it away. Walking in a Mourinho wonderland.

At this stage, can anyone really say Mourinho isn't worth a gamble, even with his baggage? The only way we shouldn't get Mourinho to sign on the dotted line this afternoon is if we are certain we could get Pep, and that just isn't going to happen.

Yup. Everything points to Pep going to City, and it is just not worth losing Mourinho for the very small chance of getting Pep. Got to be pragmatic.

Yeah we need that fear factor and arrogance back.

If Van Gaal is to be discarded then they all should including Giggs.

If we waste time chasing after Pep (who we have to accept is going to City), we'll lose Mourinho to Real and end up stuck with Giggs. Let's get this done today.