POLL ADDED: Would you want Jose Mourinho as the next Manchester United manager?

Would you want Jose Mourinho as manager of Manchester United?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
After reading the Guardian piece, I think he was broken by not getting a chance to succeed SAF. He wanted a new challenge, but got an old one (i.e. Chelsea), and while he was able to will them to the title last year, he seems unable or unwilling to put the effort to get them back there again. Part of it is his wanderlust & 3 year window of success.

Honestly getting tired of LVG. It's unfortunate and is a symptom of our short time horizons. We'd love for someone to take the reins long term & develop our youth, but we (& the Glazers) are not willing to endure a dearth of success.

I hope all of you who are against Mourinho aren't major Ferguson disciples. They are pretty much the same kind of manager bar a slight tweak here or there.

This is eye opening how lacking in objectivity some of our supporters are.

yeah, I honestly think Mourinho is the closest current manager to late era Fergie.

Ferguson's record with youth was pretty appalling at the end, lest we forget we lost probably the most talented young player in the world at the time because Ferguson didn't trust him, he seemed to want to pack his squad with experience and didn't trust the kids hugely.

Kids did get a bit of a chance, but he sacrificed very little to give them that chance, I don't think Mourinho's treatment of Loftus-Cheek has been that different to how we introduced Gibson, for example. Similarly, Patrick Bamford has gone on the same journey Tom Cleverley did.

The football Mourinho's teams have played is hardly a million miles away from Fergie's teams, either. Capable of exciting at times, but pragmatic at times, too. Compare that to our most successful spell in Europe under Ferguson, we parked the bus against Barcelona in two games and won courtesy of a Paul Scholes howitzer before going on to win the Champions League. Our entire European success was based around being hard to beat, both at home and away from home. We came closest we ever had to sustained European success under Ferguson by being a bit dull; if not for the fact that we came up against probably the greatest club side ever assembled we'd be looking at another 2 European trophies.

What you don't get with Mourinho is longevity, but then thats true for any current manager knocking around, too. Even more so for the current Caf favourite Guardiola. At least Mourinho has the intention to stick around, its just a matter of execution.

Hilarious that people are so against Mourinho now. If you ran this poll last June it'd be 90/10 in favour of his appointment.

Who fecking cares about this season. He won the league last year, and he's won the league at every. single. club. he's been at. Unless we're getting Pep in the summer, sack Louis today and get Mourinho in now.

http://sportwitness.ning.com/forum/...man-united-terms-for-deal-and-it-s-not-simple

Spanish newspaper Mundo Deportivo claimed to have spoken to a friend of Jose Mourinho's on Monday, who told them the former Chelsea manager had conditions before he'd even speak to Manchester United directly.

Mourinho was said to be determined to respect Louis van Gaal and so wouldn't talk to Manchester United whilst the Dutchman was still employed by the club. Diario de Noticias, from their own sources, explain things a little more deeply.

'Contrary to what was reported yesterday by some British media, Mourinho has no agreement or formal offer from Manchester United. Last Saturday there was some contacts to know the possible interest of the Special One to train one of Chelsea's main rivals... but for another step to be taken there must be an understanding between the English club and Louis van Gaal for termination. And only after that will the parties sit at the table to discuss a contract and, above all, a project.'

Mourinho's quest for respect would appear to be largely window dressing, whether contacts are direct or indirect is largely irrelevant. It would have to assume that all the details between Mourinho and Manchester United could easily be sorted out, so the general positive feeling is the only motivation needed to sack Van Gaal, if that's the path the club decide to take.

There appears to be a rather complicated dance going on, if reports are correct, with the aim of Mourinho not looking like the 'bad guy' for once.

After reading the Guardian piece, I think he was broken by not getting a chance to succeed SAF. He wanted a new challenge, but got an old one (i.e. Chelsea), and while he was able to will them to the title last year, he seems unable or unwilling to put the effort to get them back there again. Part of it is his wanderlust & 3 year window of success.

Honestly getting tired of LVG. It's unfortunate and is a symptom of our short time horizons. We'd love for someone to take the reins long term & develop our youth, but we (& the Glazers) are not willing to endure a dearth of success.

This sums it up well.

We're too big a club go through a 3-4 year rebuilding phase to reach the height we reached in the late 90s and late 00s. It may be an indictment against the state of the game, and perhaps us fans, for not being patient enough to see through a thorough rebuilding. Clubs sponsors have invested an enormous sum to be associated with a successful and they're not going to be happy with a spell in midtable to get back to to the top of the table.

Get it sorted, Woody. Get it done.

I hope all of you who are against Mourinho aren't major Ferguson disciples. They are pretty much the same kind of manager bar a slight tweak here or there.

This is eye opening how lacking in objectivity some of our supporters are.

No, there are massive differences between SAF and Mourinho.

SAF could be a bit of a bully at times but Mourinho is far worse. Charlton was right to have concerns about Mourinho's behaviour and time has only proven him right on that score.

Beyond that, SAF believed in attacking, creative football whereas Mourinho blatantly doesn't. We might be playing like shite right now but at least we aspire to play better, entertaining football. Mourinho doesn't care about that in the slightest.

SAF also was also able to keep the mood at the club right, enough so that he could keep things fresh for such a long time. Mourinho burns through clubs, creating tension and discord.

Those aren't slight tweaks. They're fundamental parts of their management style.

SAF could be a bit of a bully at times but Mourinho is far worse. Charlton was right to have concerns about Mourinho's behaviour and time has only proven him right on that score.

Beyond that, SAF believed in attacking, creative football whereas Mourinho blatantly doesn't. We might be playing like shite right now but at least we aspire to play better, entertaining football. Mourinho doesn't care about that in the slightest.

SAF also was also able to keep the mood at the club right, enough so that he could keep things fresh for such a long time. Mourinho burns through clubs, creating tension and discord.

Those aren't slight tweaks. They're fundamental parts of their management style.

This is a large part of why I wasn't keen on getting Mourinho when SAF first left and I'm not too up on getting him now. He is a very good manager but he is also a very unstable personality. When he was managing Chelsea this season, we were basically watching a manager having a total meltdown in public view. His situation at United might be different than what was happening at Chelsea but it isn't the most confidence-inspiring last few months from him. We would need somebody very composed to take over this thing and someone who you're pretty certain will be on the touchline from week to week. The last manager we would need now is someone who acts erratically and gets banned for 3 or 4 games at a time.

If we had/have a chance of getting Ancelotti in soon, I wouldn't hesitate to take him on. Guardiola looks to me like he is going to City, so I don't really have hopes up for him.

The thought of having Mourinho as our manager and watching him go through one of those Tito/Eva horror shows is bad enough. What's worse is I know there are some of our fans (including posters here) who'd actually start defending that sort of cnutish behaviour.

THat is my biggest concern. Things could get toxic very fast. What happens if he loses the first two games? How long would be able to suppress all his antics and public negativity? It is not “his” squad and they might take some time to adjust to his ideas. Our players are no idiots. They saw that he fall out with various of his players (not the first time in his career). Who can guarantee, that doesn´t go into meltdown after just a couple of games in a difficult situation, with a lot of injuries, huge public pressure and all the narratives that will come up? Nobody.

THat is my biggest concern. Things could get toxic very fast. What happens if he loses the first two games? How long would be able to suppress all his antics and public negativity? It is not “his” squad and they might take some time to adjust to his ideas. Our players are no idiots. They saw that he fall out with various of his players (not the first time in his career). Who can guarantee, that doesn´t go into meltdown after just a couple of games in a difficult situation, with a lot of injuries, huge public pressure and all the narratives that will come up? Nobody.

I've wondered what the situation will be with him and Mata. Mata is only one player and he's been underperforming but he holds an important role in our attack. What actually happens if Mourinho comes in and he has to work with a player he's already sold and who is popular amongst his teammates?

The cure might be to sell Mata during the transfer window or phase him out but Mata is a well-liked player on the squad. That right away can cause friction. For the record, I think Mata should be sold but not until the season is over.

Mou will also have a fabulous time with our physio staff and our horrible injury record. He had pretty much the best physio in the PL working for him and drove her out. I can picture what he'll be like when all of our fullbacks are injured or we have to play Valencia in MF.

For all of this, I would still take Mou over Giggs if given an unavoidable choice. I think we would open up a complete can of worms by putting Giggs in charge, even as a caretaker.

I'd honestly prefer Moyes back in charge.

The thought of having Mourinho as our manager and watching him go through one of those Tito/Eva horror shows is bad enough. What's worse is I know there are some of our fans (including posters here) who'd actually start defending that sort of cnutish behaviour.
One of a few that is not blinded and so desperate.

I've wondered what the situation will be with him and Mata. Mata is only one player and he's been underperforming but he holds an important role in our attack. What actually happens if Mourinho comes in and he has to work with a player he's already sold and who is popular amongst his teammates?

The cure might be to sell Mata during the transfer window or phase him out but Mata is a well-liked player on the squad. That right away can cause friction. For the record, I think Mata should be sold but not until the season is over.

Mou will also have a fabulous time with our physio staff and our horrible injury record. He had pretty much the best physio in the PL working for him and drove her out. I can picture what he'll be like when all of our fullbacks are injured or we have to play Valencia in MF.

For all of this, I would still take Mou over Giggs if given an unavoidable choice. I think we would open up a complete can of worms by putting Giggs in charge, even as a caretaker.

I am not only worried about Mata, but many players. They all saw, that he alienated Hazard, Oscar, Costa, Matic and other players. Sure, when things go well right from the get-go, everything will be fine for the season. Success makes lots of things easier. Yet if things don’t go our way – and considering the circumstances setbacks are almost inevitable – the whole situation could get out of control very fast. The pressure to finish top4 will be immense and any single result could have an impact on his madness.

I am not a fan of LvG but I am also not a fan to randomly sack him during the season unless he lost the dressing room. Under those circumstances I´d try to get a calm care-taker till the end of the season.

There's not liking him because he can be a right prick, and there's brainless talk.

Why on earth would you want Moyes instead of Mourinho?

It's like wanting Milner instead of Ronaldo.

Yes I want Jose Mourinho! 100%. If we don't get Pep Guardiola he's our man.

Whatever his critics says Mou brings respect to the table. The player will like or dislike him but nobody will ignore or dismiss him. He have a similar ego to Sir Alex. Sometimes cocky, often arrogant, once in a while a besserwisser but also lots of love and affection to the people he likes and care for. Another similarity is that he hates to lose and he's not shy to show it. The Old Trafford crowd will love that after two seasons of lame management.

If you're going to be a successful manager for United (or any company or club who compete on the absolutely highest level) you need a huge ego. A part of a great leaders personality is a little bit of craziness. When others shy a real leader take a step forward. Stubbornness without losing your feet on the ground is a must. Great leaders gamble when they have a opportunity, they play safe when they need and they go all in when they have their back against the wall. Sir Alex was a huge gambler and when you're lucky you reap the rewards.

In a short perspective we need our best players to take command and show some balls. Sometimes is a matter of mentality. I think Mourinho is good motivator and a manager who use his players ego to bring out the best from them. Sometimes it backfires and individuals who have problems with autoroties don't like leaders who always challange you. Maybe that's his Achilles heel.

I understand that many supporters don't like him, sometimes I hate or dislike him too. In the 2004/05 and 05/06 season I hated him. His Chelsea team was to good. As a manager for Inter I loved him. When he managed Porto I was furious with his antics, especially at Old Trafford and the final against Celtic. When he managed Real Madrid I was in two camps. His behaviors against Villanova was disgusting but at the same time I wanted him to wipe out the smile from Pep and the rest of the Barcelona players. It was a strange feeling. Love and hate often goes hand in hand.

Last season I didn't care so much. United was never a competitor against his team. To be honest I always preferred Chelsea over City or Liverpool.

If Pep Guardioal goes to City then we need either him or Simeone. The other candidates are a step down. I'm a pragmatic person and quickly adapt to what's in front of me. Right now Jose Mourinho is the best of the rest. Get him. Otherwise somebody else will.

I changed my vote to yes, this LvG mess can't continue and it seems Pep is off the City, the only alternative is Giggs and that would be the stupidest decision the club has ever made. So while I wouldn't be thrilled I think we have to go with Jose and hope he can adapt to the club while getting us back on a steady track.

Moyes over Mourinho :lol:

That exact scenario played out in 2013, and i didn't see anyone rejoicing.

Some probably already have,wouldn't put it past him to disgrace our club during his time here if he does sign.

Would love to hear the Chelsea fans opinion of him if he joins (US) a rival club.

My knees have stopped jerking and I've decided Jose just doesn't fit United, stick with LvG for now and go all out for Pep, if we can't get him go for a young up and coming guy, just not Giggs yet.

Seriously. Moyes over Mourinho. Lunacy.

No, no. We don't want one of the best and most decorated coaches in the modern game. A serial winner everywhere he has been. Nah. We'd prefer the hapless, trophyless, always-the-victim, midtable-fodder, training sessions in a public park, get it to the byline, "that's the level we aspire to be", David fecking Moyes. The same David fecking Moyes who mentally obliterated a title winning unit and reduced them to rubble, forced the club's captain out and into signing a pre-contract with another club midway through the year, and the majority of the squad desperate to get out thereafter. We witnessed it first hand, but we want it to happen again as an option preferable to bringing in a manager who has never failed to win major honours.

Have a word with yourselves.

Whatever his critics says Mou brings respect to the table. The player will like or dislike him but nobody will ignore or dismiss him. He have a similar ego to Sir Alex. Sometimes cocky, often arrogant, once in a while a besserwisser but also lots of love and affection to the people he likes and care for. Another similarity is that he hates to lose and he's not shy to show it. The Old Trafford crowd will love that after two seasons of lame management.

If you're going to be a successful manager for United (or any company or club who compete on the absolutely highest level) you need a huge ego. A part of a great leaders personality is a little bit of craziness. When others shy a real leader take a step forward. Stubbornness without losing your feet on the ground is a must. Great leaders gamble when they have a opportunity, they play safe when they need and they go all in when they have their back against the wall. Sir Alex was a huge gambler and when you're lucky you reap the rewards.

In a short perspective we need our best players to take command and show some balls. Sometimes is a matter of mentality. I think Mourinho is good motivator and a manager who use his players ego to bring out the best from them. Sometimes it backfires and individuals who have problems with autoroties don't like leaders who always challange you. Maybe that's his Achilles heel.

I understand that many supporters don't like him, sometimes I hate or dislike him too. In the 2004/05 and 05/06 season I hated him. His Chelsea team was to good. As a manager for Inter I loved him. When he managed Porto I was furious with his antics, especially at Old Trafford and the final against Celtic. When he managed Real Madrid I was in two camps. His behaviors against Villanova was disgusting but at the same time I wanted him to wipe out the smile from Pep and the rest of the Barcelona players. It was a strange feeling. Love and hate often goes hand in hand.

Last season I didn't care so much. United was never a competitor against his team. To be honest I always preferred Chelsea over City or Liverpool.

If Pep Guardioal goes to City then we need either him or Simeone. The other candidates are a step down. I'm a pragmatic person and quickly adapt to what's in front of me. Right now Jose Mourinho is the best of the rest. Get him. Otherwise somebody else will.

Pretty sure the majority of what you've written could equally apply to our current manager. Or at least that was the perception before he actually started managing us. Be careful what you wish for...

Well said.

Moyes over Mourinho lolololol

I've heard it all now

It's just nuts that our board chose to do that!!!!! I mean I would not even expect the game Football Manager to come up with such an absurd appointment.

Sadly we will never know the real truth of what went on there, esp as SAF got on so well with Mourinho. I suspect the board would not approve Mourinho when SAF retired, and with all the other guys committed in jobs they enjoyed, we got stuck with the last best option.

Or SAF just had a complete brain zap.

We will never ever know.

It's just nuts that our board chose to do that!!!!! I mean I would not even expect the game Football Manager to come up with such an absurd appointment.

Sadly we will never know the real truth of what went on there, esp as SAF got on so well with Mourinho. I suspect the board would not approve Mourinho when SAF retired, and with all the other guys committed in jobs they enjoyed, we got stuck with the last best option.

Or SAF just had a complete brain zap.

We will never ever know.
Apparently it was Bobby Charlton who was completely against Mourinho. It was one of those decisions that you knew was shit even without hindsight.

“There is nothing,” Mendes said when asked about reports the former Chelsea manager had agreed to take over at Old Trafford. “We don’t know what will happen in the future, but now there is no agreement. There isn’t an official proposal either, that’s not true.”

I doubt he would say they are discussing it when LVG is still here.

Well considering Van Gaal is still the manager and he's doing the press conference tomorrow Mendes would hardly come out and say yeh United have made Mourinho an offer. I'm not saying we have just that there's nothing to read into those quotes.