POLL ADDED: Would you want Jose Mourinho as the next Manchester United manager?

Would you want Jose Mourinho as manager of Manchester United?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
There are a lot of misunderstandings in the CAF.

For example, if the poll was about Klopp, I think that 90% of the vote would be positive. And yet Klopp can only dream to someday achieve half of what Mourinho has achieved. Look how well Klopp is doing in Liverpool! Still, he is something like a god for the CAF!...

there is no misunderstanding for me with respect to Mourinho. I dont want him as Utds manager.

There are a lot of misunderstandings in the CAF.

For example, if the poll was about Klopp, I think that 90% of the vote would be positive. And yet Klopp can only dream to someday achieve half of what Mourinho has achieved. Look how well Klopp is doing in Liverpool! Still, he is something like a god for the CAF!...

Mourinho is one of the worlds best managers, maybe the best. If SAF should come back, then he would be the worlds best of course.

I'm not too proud to say I'm changing my mind. I was 100% 'no' after SAF, simply because I wanted to maintain the United "traditions" and the thought of a fly-by-night manager who would make the club all about him filled me with dread.

It still does, to be honest, but it's also now clear that managerial roles are almost all short-termist. More pressing than a long term appointment is the requirement to keep the club competitive and show top players (and large investors) that we're still a huge club. We need to show that the club, as an business also, is evolving and moving with the times. Appointing Mourinho shows we still have pull - something that the appointments of Moyes and LVG (to a lesser extent perhaps) didn't.

Funny to think that if Mourinho did get the job after SAF, he'd likely becoming to the end of his reign about now...

I am really iffy about him now. I really wanted him to succeed SAF but this season at Chelsea he has had a mare on the touchline. If he can curb his instincts to provoke without cause and not drag us through the mud, I will still be fine with him. However I think we need to bite the bullet and get him here because if Pep is going to City, we really don't have any more options to replace LVG.

I don't want him but it feels like we have no choice.

The club I knew has finally vanished.

When I read an article saying that Moyes couldn't understand how United work, that everything revolved around SAF, I knew that we were screwed.

I am really iffy about him now. I really wanted him to succeed SAF but this season at Chelsea he has had a mare on the touchline. If he can curb his instincts to provoke without cause and not drag us through the mud, I will still be fine with him. However I think we need to bite the bullet and get him here because if Pep is going to City, we really don't have any more options to replace LVG.

Agree it's a bit worrying but I think, regardless of whether he was completely wrong to say publicly, the players have stitched him up royally.

Jose will learn from it better than most managers could. He's very arrogant but he's also incredibly good at self-evaluating.

Agree it's a bit worrying but I think, regardless of whether he was completely wrong to say publicly, the players have stitched him up royally.

Jose will learn from it better than most managers could. He's very arrogant but he's also incredibly good at self-evaluating.
I hope he learns else we will be in a pickle.

Indeed. Our squad needs galvanising through positivity and an "against the World" mindset, not a manager that will berate the players for being shit.

Imagine what it would do for his ego if despite being sacked from a team in 17th place in December, he still managed to win back to back titles.

Said in the LVG Out thread, but thought more appropriate here.

It's been said already, but very few managers come back from the "X number of games to save his job" thing (if true obviously). Even if he goes four or five unbeaten the next time we lose the knives would be out.

I'm not at all convinced Mourinho is the right fit for the club for a number of reasons:

-His declining return in the past 5 or 6 seasons
-His style of football
-His approach to youth
-His declining success in the market
-The bruising experience he's coming off at Chelsea

but, at this moment in time, the devil we know doesn't look like he has any chance of winning us a league in his time here, so maybe the chance is worth taking if we can't get Pep.

In his last five full seasons he's won:

1 Serie A
1 Coppa Italia
1 Champions League
1 Supercoppa Italia
1 La Liga - setting a points record of 101 points.
1 Copa Del Rey
1 Supercopa de Espana
1 Premier League
1 League Cup

The last two he won just last season!

How many other managers have won as much? He's won as many league titles in 5 seasons as Ancelotti has in 20.

Not to mention 3 CL semi-finals (the furthest they'd progressed since 2003) with Madrid and 1 with Chelsea.

The other points are fair enough, I guess, but using a really strange, aberrant three months as evidence of his waning abilities is really myopic.

Also, the point about youth - how many top teams at the moment regularly use a youth player (as in, brought through recently)?

City - er...
Arsenal - Wilshere would, maybe, if he was ever fit, but he's not, so they don't.
PSG - Rabiot is the only one I can think of.
Madrid - Jese, infrequently
Bayern - not sure - Alaba? Does he still count?
Atletico Madrid - Torres and Saul
Dortmund - Hofmann
Juventus - ?
Barca - Sergi Roberto

It's unrealistic to expect the top teams to be replete with youth players. As far as I can see, Mourinho treats the youth players no different than most managers at big clubs.

If we're talking just about young players in general, again, I don't see how Mourinho is much different from most other managers at big clubs. Many players aged 22/23 have made up his starting XIs.

Having had more time to think about this Maureen seems the obvious logical step. If we hang around waiting for Pep it will be like Fabregas, Thiago, Ramos etc etc all over again, Mourinho has always coveted us- he has not turned into a crap manager overnight and he would gaurantee us top 4 if not a title push aswell.. Giggs is unproven and the thought of sticking with LVG when he seems to have clearly lost not only the fans but the dressing room aswell is nauseating. Mourinho is horrible but he will go to no ends for the team he manages, will attract names maybe we would not have attracted before and will soften the blow of City getting Pep which they will and being able to attract the superstars with their mega millions project- the obvious worry is that Mourinho may not stay any longer than 3 years but with the likes of Tuchel, Simeone and Martinez having the chance to prove themselves further in them 3 years then if he does leave at the end of that then it will be in a much better position than if we hand the reigns to Giggs imo. For me it's a no brainer.

If LVG goes, I'd rather Giggs until the end of the season, then look for somebody else. Mourinho has basically behaved like a prick all season and looks a bit burnt out. I think he needs a break!

I wonder what percentage of the "no vote" are definite or are really undecided yet, saying no because it is the "in thing" to say but I would say a fair percentage of the "no vote" cannot make up their mind. What I will say is I can see the "no" preference votes and a lot of them since Norwich being changed.

If LVG goes, I'd rather Giggs until the end of the season, then look for somebody else. Mourinho has basically behaved like a prick all season and looks a bit burnt out. I think he needs a break!

The exact type of thinking that lead us to moyes. You have got to be so much more proactive in this modern football era, you need to have your next manager confirmed before the season ends.

This is something I wrote for another thread but after finishing it, it was more suited to this thread.

Chelsea fans were dead right to boo their own players, they're clearing self centered and couldn't care less about the club. What I find worse is that Terry didn't have a word with them, he's suppose to be the captain and love Chelsea (apparently).

Chelsea will never get a manager as good as Jose again and that could be disaster for their club considering they will already miss out on CL football. They should have backed the manager 100% and sold Hazard, Cost and Fabregas which all would have brought in a pretty penny (especially since Chelsea get an increase when ever selling for some strange reason, see Luiz). In doing so it would set an example at the club, you don't want to play? you're gone.

Jose has problems of his own he needs to get over too, it's obviously just not the players fault but I do feel with the right money to keep replacing players, he could be a long term manager, and who better to give him infinite amounts of cash other than United? You could have said the same for Madrid but they already had the best XI available in the world, so they were not easily replaced.

Chelsea's loss should be our gain if we fail to land Pep. Then again the same thing that happened Chelsea under him could happen us 3 years after his appointment and then you all have permission to quote this and laugh OR we could see Mourinho doing that Nou Camp champions league semi final celebration at Stamford Bridge during a cup or important league game.

Basically I'm all for signing the mad bastard.

At Madrid: Ozil was 21 and ADM 22 when Mourinho took over, both played a lot of games. Varane also got substantial playing time.

At Chelsea: Robben, Glen Johnson, Cech (22). Mikel (lol) and Kalou both played a fair amount of games in his final season.

Chelsea (second time): Zouma

At Inter: Santon and Balotelli.

Quite a lot in the 23-25 age range, but hardly any academy players. Not sure about his time at Porto, however.

During Pep's time at Barca, young players who had a significant amount of appearances: Pique, Busquets, Pedro, Bojan, Messi, Jeffren, Thiago, Cuenca, Tello

At Bayern: Alaba, Gotze (two already established players, to be fair), Bernat, Gaudino
Yeah it looks like he has used a respectable amount, but most were already at the club. Still, that's somewhat encouraging I guess.

The exact type of thinking that lead us to moyes. You have got to be so much more proactive in this modern football era, you need to have your next manager confirmed before the season ends.

If they make it clear that Giggs is an interim manager then they can clearly do that.

Voted no. As bad as this season has gone for him & Chelsea, he's still one of the top 3 managers in the world, and that's not the kinda guy I want you to have.

I wonder what percentage of the "no vote" are definite or are really undecided yet, saying no because it is the "in thing" to say but I would say a fair percentage of the "no vote" cannot make up their mind. What I will say is I can see the "no" preference votes and a lot of them since Norwich being changed.

I'm a firm no. We don't need his antics. I can put up with players who deliberately go out to injure opposition players (when provoked), I can put up with managers who are bad losers and will deflect blame (to an extent), what I can't abide is when you have already lost a game, claiming you saw the opposition manager go into the ref's dressing room or calling someone poor and uneducated simply because they had the tenacity to point out that your failings are your own. I actually like him away from the game, when he drops the facade, he's a nice guy, intelligent and charismatic (like many of his players say); the trouble is, that's not his public footballing face. I can put up with a cnut, but Mourinho is good enough that he doesn't need to be, yet he acts like a total cnut - it's tiring and that's probably why he burns out a club in 3 years. I don't care if he's ours and will wind up the opposition, he's better than that. If he's to be Man Utd manager, he'll need to clean up his act, I'm not expecting a saint, he can take it a level above Fergie, he can still be "the special one" but he needs to show some humility and not by being petulant.

I'd rather we appoint someone new, Poch or Blanc would be the more cerebral choice, Pardew would be the more passionate choice (but nowhere near the antics of Mourinho). All of those managers play attacking football and have shown a willingness to adapt to their teams and are not stuck in their ways like Giggs will likely be or Moyes / LVG were.

Pep is going to City. Where is this delusion that he isn't coming from?

Signed the contract has he? Seen it? Until that is, I'd be going for Pep. It's likely he will go to City but that's not certain. So it's up to you to prove that he is definitely going to City, not for us to prove he isn't (can't prove a negative).

Yeah it looks like he has used a respectable amount, but most were already at the club. Still, that's somewhat encouraging I guess.
Both Ozil and Di Maria were Mourinho's signings, as was Varane.

Same about Chelsea young players. Also, he gave the debut to Santon.

Would you want the circus that's surrounded Mourinho this season?

Stop gap Giggs and go balls out for Pep for next year.

Chelsea is always a circus, regardless who is their manager. There the players are bigger than the manager, the same being at Real as well.

Stop gap Giggs will mean outside top 4 this year with no CL next year, which eventually will ruin two season if the board are retarded enough to choose Giggs over one of the best managers in the world still.

I think even a lot of United supporters entertained Klopp who got Dortmund in relegation zone in the beginning in this year, yet Mourinho who has much, much better resume is now wank after 3-4 poor months?

Almost 50% for it...amazing...what a bunch,guess in their eyes he ticks all boxes when it comes to "United" way,while in same time,same term being used as smashing hammer vs LvG...classic.

The Pep thing looks fairly clear-cut. He knows where he'll be next season (according to various sources, including Rummenigge). So, either we've already reached an agreement with him - or there's no chance. Meaning that this "Giggs as caretaker, then go all out for Pep" scenario simply isn't realistic, not to say it simply isn't possible.

Would you want the circus that's surrounded Mourinho this season?

Stop gap Giggs and go balls out for Pep for next year.
It will be too late by then, if you want the best managers you have to be proactive.

Bizarre to think we should wait, an enquiry for Pep should of been done already. Bayern wanted him to extend but he stalled and they had his replacement ready within a week. That is how you go about getting one of the best.

Chelsea is always a circus, regardless who is their manager. There the players are bigger than the manager, the same being at Real as well.

Stop gap Giggs will mean outside top 4 this year with no CL next year, which eventually will ruin two season if the board are retarded enough to choose Giggs over one of the best managers in the world still.

I think even a lot of United supporters entertained Klopp who got Dortmund in relegation zone in the beginning in this year, yet Mourinho who has much, much better resume is now wank after 3-4 poor months?

It's not so much the form of Chelsea that puts me off. It's Mourinho's general demeanour. He's been off since the season started and to me, he generally looks a bit burnt out. I'd rather take him in the summer after he recharged his batteries a bit than now. After all the bizarre antics and increasingly paranoiac outbursts throughout this season, I don't think he'd be at his best if he came straight into the job.

It will be too late by then, if you want the best managers you have to be proactive.

Bizarre to think we should wait, an enquiry for Pep should of been done already. Bayern wanted him to extend but he stalled and they had his replacement ready within a week. That is how you go about getting one of the best.

I meant go all out for pep to arrive next year, rather than wait until the end of the season. I didn't word it very clearly.

Bayern are probably already sorting out their Ancelotti replacement.

I am a massive fan of Mourinho as a person. He's hilarious and just seems like great craic. However, I don't want him in charge at United. Surely he would bring resiliance and possibly success but he doesn't stay at clubs for long, leaves them in middling shape and doesn't believe much in a youth policy which is massive for Manchester United.

In his last five full seasons he's won:

1 Serie A
1 Coppa Italia
1 Champions League
1 Supercoppa Italia
1 La Liga - setting a points record of 101 points.
1 Copa Del Rey
1 Supercopa de Espana
1 Premier League
1 League Cup

The last two he won just last season!

How many other managers have won as much? He's won as many league titles in 5 seasons as Ancelotti has in 20.
His last five full seasons were 3 at Real and 2 at Chelsea, if I'm not mistaken? Not that it matters, his record overall is of course excellent. But if you pick his last 5 full seasons, then there's a massive decline in the number of trophies won in comparison to the 5 full seasons before. Not sure why you'd cut it off exactly at that number though.

His 2nd spell at Chelsea clearly was his worst spell at a club so far in his career, but that doesn't mean his next spell can't be as great as the ones before.