POLL ADDED: Would you want Jose Mourinho as the next Manchester United manager?

Would you want Jose Mourinho as manager of Manchester United?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Who are the youngest players to consistently receive first team football under Mourinho? If he were to take over here he'd have Shaw and Martial, both at 20/21, I feel as though this has never been the case in his career prior?

Cech (22) Terry (23) Bridge (23) G.Johnson (19) J. Cole (23) Robben (20) Parker (23) Tiago (23)

They all got plenty of playing time in his first stint at Chelsea.

Don't think he had many youngsters at Inter or Madrid though.

Of course not, the hope would be someone at the club would be keeping Jose up to date with the progress of the youth players (which might already happen but he has chosen to ignore it) and when they are ready to be put in the side.

I'd be extremely surprised if that hasn't happened at every club he's been at tbh. He did give Santon his debut Inter, not much else beyond those that really, so it's hard to see Pereira, Wilson, Fosu-Menah, Gribben etc getting much of a look in if he comes here.

Some will say he's worth it, and maybe he is.

Last edited:
I voted no before, but to be honest he's the only class manager we can get mid season now that Ancelotti is going to Bayern. Mourinho would have something to prove and knows all about the league and the club. I wouldn't mind replacing LVG with him, even if he wouldn't be my first choice due to his pragmatic approach. Biggest priority should be to get back on our fecking perch and he's as a great candidate to get that done.

Mourinho is the only manager available that I trust to bring us back to glory and as I've said before, if we make a change now, I think that gory could come as soon as this season. He could win the EPL given the current gap with Leicester up top. With Pep's inevitable arrival to City, the EPL is about to get more difficult and competitive. We can't afford to drop the ball again, we need a proven and elite manager. Jose ticks off both boxes, sorry Ryan you can't be given the keys to OT now, the timing just isn't right.

Would much rather Pep. Or a young manager with energy and ideas. Can't speak for the likes of Tuchel, I don't follow German football closely, but someone like Pochettino, who seems to understand what's required in England, would be an interesting choice

Mourinho is someone I'd struggle to warm to but it can't be denied that the club is in a bad way and I guess any helping hand will do when you're drowning so I would accept Jose in our current state.

Sir Bobby Charlton will not stop Man United pursuing Jose Mourinho should a managerial change be made. (Independent) - yesssss!

I'm on a plane (a380), 35,000 miles up - constantly refreshing via wifi to read more about when we'll get him in - what has my life become!

I'm on a plane (a380), 35,000 miles up - constantly refreshing via wifi to read more about when we'll get him in - what has my life become!
Thirty five thousand miles up... on the way to the international space station.

I'd prefer Pep, but we don't really have a choice in the matter. If we wait on Pep, we'll probably get into another Fabregas and Ramos situation and end up with a Fellaini or nothing, which in this case will be Giggs.

If we stick with LvG, we might not make top 4 and good luck getting a top manager that will turn down a Champions League club for one that isn't in it. A big part of this that hasn't been mentioned is Real Madrid will probably be looking for a new manager in the summer as well and could make a play for Mourinho. We really should get him while we can.

I really wasn't keen on Jose; but right now he's a serial winner with a big point to prove and he isn't LVG.

I'd be ok to give him an 18 month deal with an automatic extension if he wins something big.

I guess United will sign him as manager only when this thread has 'Yes' votes more than 50% :(
More convincing of non-believers needed.

I really wasn't keen on Jose; but right now he's a serial winner with a big point to prove and he isn't LVG.

I'd be ok to give him an 18 month deal with an automatic extension if he wins something big.
This basically sums me up in the last few days!

You people do realise I'm gonna literally explode when he's announce our new manager right?

If not, I'll slowly retreat back to my hole and sob in the corner as LVG continues, Giggs takes over or something worse....

You people do realise I'm gonna literally explode when he's announce our new manager right?

If not, I'll slowly retreat back to my hole and sob in the corner as LVG continues, Giggs takes over or something worse....

Nothing worse than Giggs taking over. All the scousers want him to take over.

Imagine how they will feel if Mourinho is our manager. I smiled at the thought.

OK, that gets me on board, just imagining how much even more they will hate us & him for it. Even Giggsy could perhaps be sold the 'learn a bit more from a different boss' ticket !!

Win / win.

All of the arguments in favour of Jose seem to be prefaced by "He's the only one available" in some way or another.

Mourinho should have been the United manager following Fergie's retirement. 3 years with him in charge and we would have been in a stable enough position to offer Pep the reins. As Rio mentioned, one gets the feeling that Pep won't manage more than one club in England, so it'd be a damn shame if we were to miss out on him without having pushed hard enough to win him over. It'd be a damn shame because you just know that being Manchester United manager is something that would appeal to his nature, and that he'd strongly consider any offer we'd make him. Hell, you could argue that Pep has been the man for the job ever since he won the treble with Barcelona. He treats the job with a measure of reverance and romanticism - everything that this job deserves from its manager. If he definitively turns is down, then Jose it is. Sign up Jose and we'd give the likes of Martial, Memphis and Shaw the chance to become great players. Sign up Pep and we'd be giving them the chance to become something more.

Ogden saying LVG will be sacked if we lose to stoke or chelsea. Club originally wanted ancelotti (and just watched him go to bayern) and nobody at the club is opposed to Jose. It has been rumored via other sources that contact between the two parties has been made, many wanted to appoint jose over moyes and won't miss out on a seocnd chance.

LVG should walk and put us out of our misery. Over the past couple of years I've watched us make silly decisions that you can see a mile off. Giving LVG more time is one of them.

The other factor is January. How can you have a manager being judged on a game by game basis and allow him to spend any money? It's just ridiculous to even think about it.

I predict LVG stays till end of the season irrespective of what now happens. They won't give him any funds for this transfer window. They'll will try to convince Pep not to go to city and failing that, it will be Giggs.

This isn't being discussed enough. I have heard/read it in a couple places that this might prevent us, or anyone in England for that matter, from hiring Mourinho for a while.

Would love to get some clarity on it.

I don't think it would work when he got sacked.

Amazing how far this has swung, a few days ago it was 70% against.
It's actually really understandable.

People hate jose but they hating losing week in/week out even more. We've seen what happens when you allow the best managers to find new clubs while twiddling thumbs and I think we all want to avoid that.

The way we're plummeting down the league, I don't see any chance of LvG being given the rest of the season. It would be madness.
Yeah, I honestly think we'd finish around bottom half if we did this. We are not coming back from this slump.

Guys this poll needs to tilt to 50% in favour for it to happen.

Ps. Seems Jose Mourinho is the definition of a polarising figure, on here!

Guys this poll needs to tilt to 50% in favour for it to happen.

Ps. Seems Jose Mourinho is the definition of a polarising figure, on here!

There are a lot of misunderstandings in the CAF.

For example, if the poll was about Klopp, I think that 90% of the vote would be positive. And yet Klopp can only dream to someday achieve half of what Mourinho has achieved. Look how well Klopp is doing in Liverpool! Still, he is something like a god for the CAF!...

Who are the youngest players to consistently receive first team football under Mourinho? If he were to take over here he'd have Shaw and Martial, both at 20/21, I feel as though this has never been the case in his career prior?

At Madrid: Ozil was 21 and ADM 22 when Mourinho took over, both played a lot of games. Varane also got substantial playing time.

At Chelsea: Robben, Glen Johnson, Cech (22). Mikel (lol) and Kalou both played a fair amount of games in his final season.

Chelsea (second time): Zouma

At Inter: Santon and Balotelli.

Quite a lot in the 23-25 age range, but hardly any academy players. Not sure about his time at Porto, however.

During Pep's time at Barca, young players who had a significant amount of appearances: Pique, Busquets, Pedro, Bojan, Messi, Jeffren, Thiago, Cuenca, Tello

At Bayern: Alaba, Gotze (two already established players, to be fair), Bernat, Gaudino

Last edited by a moderator: