POLL ADDED: Would you want Jose Mourinho as the next Manchester United manager?

Would you want Jose Mourinho as manager of Manchester United?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I don't think he's long term. He got tired of Barca after 4 years, said he should have left after 3. Now he's already seeking a new challenge after 3 years with Bayern.
That's what I'm implying.

Long term is 3 years now in modern football, sooner people get used to that fact the better.

Expecting someone to be in charge longer than that isn't normal.

Yep.

People need to get used to how modern football works. Fergie like dynasty's are a thing of the past.

Look at how Bayern handle it. Thats the example we should be following. By next season they'll have had 3 managers in the last 5 years, and it hasn't stopped them being successful.

United need to give up on this pipe dream of finding another Fergie. Its stupid, and unworkable.

according to skybet odds of van gaal next manager to get the sack is 1/6... with mourinho to be our next manager at 1/4.

I know betting odds aren't the be-all and end-all but these are too low to just brush it off.

I actually think we'd stand more chance of Mourinho being long term than Guardiola. Guardiola has so far shown to want a new challenge in his career after a few years (although it's worth noting his relatively short career to date).

There's nothing in Mourinho's past to suggest he's more than a 3-year appointment, but at some point he'd have to settle down, surely. He's running out of clubs. PSG would take him, and no doubt the idea of winning another league in another country is something Mourinho would look at, but it'd be a step down. I don't think Bayern or Barca would go for him. Real Madrid have already got rid. Perhaps a return to Italy one day, but I wouldn't be surprised to see Mourinho spend more than 3 years at United if he was appointed. After all, he's wanted the job for a while.

More wary of City establishing themselves long term above us than Mourinho's antics, to be honest.

I don't particularly want Jose here either, We've put ourselves in a position where we have no real alternative that can guarantee a similar level of success that Jose can.

I love how this conveniently ignores the fact that he won the title and left every other team for dead last season. You're screaming his failures but whispering his accomplishments. He isn't my favourite person either but once again we have put ourselves in a position where we cannot afford to pass him up. In doing so will leave will even less qualified managerial candidates.

I didn't ignore the fact that he won the title last season at all. My point still stands - he can't (nor can anyone) "guarantee" you a title. He won it last year, but not this year. Every season is a new one - the past is the past. It doesn't matter what you've acheived in your career so far: nothing is "guaranteed" in football.

Of course I was screaming his failures (and I didn't whisper his accomplishments at all - I didn't even mention them), because I was stating my case against his appointment - as oppose to doing an all-round analysis, with the pros and cons.

I am firmly in the 'No' Camp - but of course there would be positives to his appointment:
  • It goes without saying, he is a very talented tactical manager - just look at his CV.
  • He obviously is desperate to manage us - that kind of passion from a top manager is valuable (not just another mercenary)
  • He would have the balls to drop, sell, or possibly somehow even rejuvenate Wayne Rooney.
I believe we can afford to pass him up. We are not doing THAT bad - yes, we're going through a rough patch - yes, the football is boring. But Mourinho is not the answer.

Everyone that prefers style hasn't voted for Jose hopefully. I'd take him easily though now looking at everything else. no brainer 6 months back. Have doubts now but nothing really is guaranteed, so taking a proven winner shouldn't be questionable.

God, I'm so bloody pumped at just the fact that there is a realistic chance that we'll get Mourinho.. feck sake, Ed do it!

I'd rather 'arry.
feck Mourinho. We are in a bad way, with the way he's treated the situation and players at Chelsea he is definitely not the man for a club in crisis.

If we are getting him, get him. All this 'Van Gaal has 2 games to save his job' shite will just put us further out the title race.

The uncertainty over such a crucial period is fecking us and will only feck us further unless we make a change.

If we are getting him, get him. All this 'Van Gaal has 2 games to save his job' shite will just put us further out the title race.

The uncertainty over such a crucial period is fecking us and will only feck us further unless we make a change.

Absolutely. If it has gotten to the stage where "he has one or two matches left to save his job" then he should, in all honesty, be sacked already. No need to feck about.

Who are the youngest players to consistently receive first team football under Mourinho? If he were to take over here he'd have Shaw and Martial, both at 20/21, I feel as though this has never been the case in his career prior?

At Madrid: Ozil was 21 and ADM 22 when Mourinho took over, both played a lot of games. Varane also got substantial playing time.

At Chelsea: Robben, Glen Johnson, Cech (22). Mikel (lol) and Kalou both played a fair amount of games in his final season.

Chelsea (second time): Zouma

At Inter: Santon and Balotelli.

Quite a lot in the 23-25 age range, but hardly any academy players. Not sure about his time at Porto, however.

During Pep's time at Barca, young players who had a significant amount of appearances: Pique, Busquets, Pedro, Bojan, Messi, Jeffren, Thiago, Cuenca, Tello

At Bayern: Alaba, Gotze (two already established players, to be fair), Bernat, Gaudino

Pique was a CL winner and 23+ when Barca bought him. Jeffren got about 6-7 starts in 3 years under guardiola. Tello got 2 starts and maybe 5 sub appearences, hardly equal to giving him time.

Guardiola has a crap record with bringing through academy talent, not as bad as Mourinho but he is no wenger.

Last edited:
Didn't want him here, but I've changed my mind. He's successful and available.

Besides, I reckon in this last year and a half I've seen more than enough ''possession football'' for one lifetime. Hope I never have to go through that again.

I am a massive fan of Mourinho as a person. He's hilarious and just seems like great craic. However, I don't want him in charge at United. Surely he would bring resiliance and possibly success but he doesn't stay at clubs for long, leaves them in middling shape and doesn't believe much in a youth policy which is massive for Manchester United.
The last successful youth player to come through was more than 10 seasons ago and that to was a dodge johny evans. During this time you have let go of the likes of Pogba and Januzaj. I would say United is the perfect fit for Mourinho. Both dont really give a shit about youth.

Pique was a CL winner and 23+ when Barca bought him. Jeffren got about 6-7 starts in 3 years under guardiola. Tello got 2 starts and maybe 5 sub appearences, hardly equal to giving him time.

Guardiola has a crap record with bringing through academy talent, not as bad as Mourinho but he is no wenger.

Pique was 21.

I just used overall appearances as a general indicator, to be honest. Tello had more appearances than that.

Pique was 21.

I just used overall appearances as a general indicator, to be honest. Tello had more appearances than that.

Ah.. Somehow remembered him being 18 when he signed for united in 2003, but he was 16 instead. My point stands none the less, he was a CL winner at that time purchased from another club.

Tello did only get 2 starts under guardiola. Minute details aside, guardiolas record with youth is quite crap given he has coached clubs with biggest/best academies in both countries. Be it united or city or chelsea, guardiola wont do much with youth, he like Mourinho is not a coach who leaves anything to chance, especially given the fine margins in the PL right now.

Can someone explain to me how Mourinho would have us playing any better football than LVG does? Plus if he did get in you can kiss any youth players coming through goodbye. This wont be an upgrade at all in my opinion. If the club does this it will reek of desperation.

Obviously not enough. So goals are important regardless if you win or not?
Not enough the past six months. Enough for him to have had a successful career so far winning everything for Porto with an average budget, winning the treble for Inter with something like 20 million net spend or whatever it was and winning the Premier League last season.

I wouldn't worry about this season at Chelsea at all. But even if we ignore the collapse this year, he certainly has lost his aura of invincibility, his claim to be the tactical genius, who always has an edge. Even if we ignore the matches against Barca at Real, he was in my opinion outsmarted by Heynckes and Klopp in the CL and the same is true for his games with Chelsea against Simeone's Atletico and Blanc's PSG.

So yes, it's a fair question to ask if he has lost 'it' or at least a significant part of 'it'. If you can look past his antics, I still think it's worth the risk. He might find 'it' back, he might mellow with age, who knows. He might not but still give United the one trophy to get that 'we haven't won anything since Fergie retired'-thing out of the way and it's probably a lot easier to move on after that happened.

I wouldn't want him anywhere near my club though, but that's not because I wouldn't trust him to win stuff. I just can't stand him.
Very good post. Sadly the continual horror show from van Gaal isn't giving us much choice. There's the distinct possibility if we don't get rid of him now we finish not just outside the top 4 but behind the likes of Watford, palace and Spurs. I'd agree with those saying it looks like Mourinho's best years are behind him but who knows, maybe the failure at Chelsea this season has opened his eyes up a bit and has taught him a lot.

He wasn't outsmarted by Heynekes.

Yeah like Ramos and Ronaldo missing penalties is due to being outsmarted. He's not going to make a champions league final always. So he is going to lose in the semi final. That's nothing to do with being outsmarted and such. Nobody is going to reach 4 or 5 finals.

If we talk about outsmarted and losing aura because of a number of big game losses... there were big question marks raised when Pep has lost both cl semis and lost them big with Bayern, tactical mistakes were made and he admitted as much after that Real massacre.

He even did a Mourinho earlier than Mourinho himself (criticizing and provocatively clapping in medical team's faces leading them to resign) but kept getting results so noone is talking about it anymore.

He's negative, defensive, doesn't care about youth at all. We can say goodbye to those attacking and youth traditions. Those are just observations based over his career to date.

He is still the best manager in the world since fergie retired and for me it isn't close. If he comes in, pep at city or not, we will win titles. He is better at winning than pep imo, despite being a far worse fit for a club like this.

I was personally excited by the young team we were building and for that reason really don't want to see mourinho come in. There will be plenty of people in this thread syaing 'ye but' and citing a couple of occasions that mourinoh put out a young side or had an important young player. But those people would be proved wrong in time - this would mean giving up on developing youth

One thing LVG and Jose have in common is they both signed Falcao. While I'm for Jose coming here and wanted him after Fergie, it's really a niggling mistake. We don't need any more million pound a month signings like this. It's as if Jose was trying to prove a point and got too cocky there.

Also Jose wanted Rooney when he came back and many will claim Fergie was going to get rid so it doesn't look too good on Jose and trying to sign ruptured past it players. Moyes, LVG and Jose all falling for it where as Fergie would not be in my opinion.

Last edited:
He's negative, defensive, doesn't care about youth at all. We can say goodbye to those attacking and youth traditions. Those are just observations based over his career to date.

He is still the best manager in the world since fergie retired and for me it isn't close. If he comes in, pep at city or not, we will win titles. He is better at winning than pep imo, despite being a far worse fit for a club like this.

I was personally excited by the young team we were building and for that reason really don't want to see mourinho come in. There will be plenty of people in this thread syaing 'ye but' and citing a couple of occasions that mourinoh put out a young side or had an important young player. But those people would be proved wrong in time - this would mean giving up on developing youth
In that case, what do you value more? Youth development or trophies? If the answer is both, who do we get other than Pep who seems to be off to City?

I truly hope this isn't Moyes part 3 and his last season at Chelsea was more a reflection on being in a bit of limbo in his career and was brought back with a promise of funds but got turned down, even a cry for help in some way and we get the old Mourinho.