Gaming Playstation VR2 | Discounted in the UK to around £330

Be useful lambs, Pavlov.... any good?

I've been useful, I showed how easy it is to wind those smooth brains up. Everyone I mentioned is suddenly here. :lol:

But I must confess I've only played Pavlov a few times. It was good, but very clicky and full of sweats who scream at you when you kill someone but not in the exact way you are supposed to. Kind of like the game that makes Alock shit himself because he can't use 30 paddles and still has to have a pro squad to carry his squidgy arse.

Lo and behold, a few mins later and Elvis pops up in the terrible VS thread to try a dig back. Alock and Afro will stew and try a different tack. They are better adversaries than that little twerp.

Anyway, my little fun aside, I'm not really hearing glowing reviews worth £500 from you lot. So come on then, tell me about the controller, something other than the better screens...what is this thing doing? Convince me to buy one and come whoop you all in GT7VR!

Honestly it's alright and I don't have an issue with the 650euro I paid, but... The haptics, and the headset's haptics especially make a difference, but... I'm still bothered about the games. And the cable. And then these things:

Hardware:

My OG Vive (after spending yet more money on it) became wireless. Yes your head got hot, yes the headset weighed more than it probably should, and yes you had to buy the deluxe headstrap on top of the wireless adapter, and PC needed to run it. But after that, and Quests inbetween, going back to cabled VR is an annoyance for me. Not building in speakers/headphones to the headstrap is a miss IMO. Two more dangly cables that piss you off while you're arranging things.

I'm not convinced about the rubber visor either, which was the same on PSVR and its second iteration before PSVR2. Obviously going with something more comfortable introduces its own problems (sweat, longevity of it not being disgusting), but this one is super-squidgy, more than I remember OG PSVR being. There's not much feedback that the thing is pressed into (i.e., touching) your face, so as you try to eliminate light coming in you find the lenses presses into the bridge of your nose. It's a minor thing, but I prefer the more rigid feel of the Rifts, Vives and Quests despite their drawbacks. Also there's a double nose flap thing going on that does get in the way if you're not careful.

The controllers are too big IMO, much too big, but the haptics are great. The USB-C connector is in the most-obtuse place IMO, but that's minor. It also means (I guess) that when I get the charging base next week, I literally have to plug them/place them to charge them. I have the Anker station for Quest 2, and while you have to change its batteries to the ones they supply, and have to plug the the headset it, it's a magnetic connection for the latter and you don't need to be pernickety about the former.

Games:

I've only really messed around with Horizon, and it looks good. The shooting works really well - better than I remember Holopoint or Elven being for example - and it's fun enough. Sixty quid? Not so much. I think someone on here said that Oculus have it right with their RotM games at 15, 20, bigger ones at 30 and top lines at 40. Alyx is the exception that proves the rule I guess.

That said, the games that stand out to me (i.e., ME) just arent there yet and I think Sony have dropped a bollock here. There absolutely should have been an Astro game, I am sick of saying that the lack of Beat Saber is baffling. I picked up maybe 10-15 games of which a bunch were upgrades that I got for the sake of it. Kayak is pretty, GT7 I haven't dragged the wheel back out but that's only 'cos of lack of opportunity, so maybe it's amazing (but I've been driving in VR for years, even DriveClub was amazing in VR). The launch line up has pissed me off I guess, but if you're new to VR then there are loads of brilliant things to play that have been brought from PSVR, Quest and PCVR.

VR in general

I love VR. It's fecking brilliant. But some of the things I feel are essential - and have already been experimented with - haven't caught on. Mainly 'cos of the space involved. I'll do a disservice to the games I forget here, but HL:A needs porting and I think this headset could do it justice, but then we get to locomotion - there's only a handful of games that truly experiement with what the medium gives - we still can't buy holodecks, and omnidirectional treadmill are few and far between (and I don't want slippy shoes, I want an omnidirectional treadmill for a few hundred euros). Unseen Diplomacy on PC is a '15 minute to make' (my quote based on theirs) tech demo from like 2016 of what we should be doing with VR locomotion. It's a fecking great, genuinely superb use of VR. Unlimited walking should be catching on. There's a few indies that do this, but they tend to be just that: indies.

Time to kickoff

This ramble didn't fill as much time as I'd expected it to. The cable is a problem. Since it's detachable for replacement I wonder if Sony will bring out a wireless kit. I'd pay for that, and an Omin-treadmill.

Honestly it's alright and I don't have an issue with the 650euro I paid, but... The haptics, and the headset's haptics especially make a difference, but... I'm still bothered about the games. And the cable. And then these things:

Hardware:

My OG Vive (after spending yet more money on it) became wireless. Yes your head got hot, yes the headset weighed more than it probably should, and yes you had to buy the deluxe headstrap on top of the wireless adapter, and PC needed to run it. But after that, and Quests inbetween, going back to cabled VR is an annoyance for me. Not building in speakers/headphones to the headstrap is a miss IMO. Two more dangly cables that piss you off while you're arranging things.

I'm not convinced about the rubber visor either, which was the same on PSVR and its second iteration before PSVR2. Obviously going with something more comfortable introduces its own problems (sweat, longevity of it not being disgusting), but this one is super-squidgy, more than I remember OG PSVR being. There's not much feedback that the thing is pressed into (i.e., touching) your face, so as you try to eliminate light coming in you find the lenses presses into the bridge of your nose. It's a minor thing, but I prefer the more rigid feel of the Rifts, Vives and Quests despite their drawbacks. Also there's a double nose flap thing going on that does get in the way if you're not careful.

The controllers are too big IMO, much too big, but the haptics are great. The USB-C connector is in the most-obtuse place IMO, but that's minor. It also means (I guess) that when I get the charging base next week, I literally have to plug them/place them to charge them. I have the Anker station for Quest 2, and while you have to change its batteries to the ones they supply, and have to plug the the headset it, it's a magnetic connection for the latter and you don't need to be pernickety about the former.

Games:

I've only really messed around with Horizon, and it looks good. The shooting works really well - better than I remember Holopoint or Elven being for example - and it's fun enough. Sixty quid? Not so much. I think someone on here said that Oculus have it right with their RotM games at 15, 20, bigger ones at 30 and top lines at 40. Alyx is the exception that proves the rule I guess.

That said, the games that stand out to me (i.e., ME) just arent there yet and I think Sony have dropped a bollock here. There absolutely should have been an Astro game, I am sick of saying that the lack of Beat Saber is baffling. I picked up maybe 10-15 games of which a bunch were upgrades that I got for the sake of it. Kayak is pretty, GT7 I haven't dragged the wheel back out but that's only 'cos of lack of opportunity, so maybe it's amazing (but I've been driving in VR for years, even DriveClub was amazing in VR). The launch line up has pissed me off I guess, but if you're new to VR then there are loads of brilliant things to play that have been brought from PSVR, Quest and PCVR.

VR in general

I love VR. It's fecking brilliant. But some of the things I feel are essential - and have already been experimented with - haven't caught on. Mainly 'cos of the space involved. I'll do a disservice to the games I forget here, but HL:A needs porting and I think this headset could do it justice, but then we get to locomotion - there's only a handful of games that truly experiement with what the medium gives - we still can't buy holodecks, and omnidirectional treadmill are few and far between (and I don't want slippy shoes, I want an omnidirectional treadmill for a few hundred euros). Unseen Diplomacy on PC is a '15 minute to make' (my quote based on theirs) tech demo from like 2016 of what we should be doing with VR locomotion. It's a fecking great, genuinely superb use of VR. Unlimited walking should be catching on. There's a few indies that do this, but they tend to be just that: indies.

Time to kickoff

This ramble didn't fill as much time as I'd expected it to. The cable is a problem. Since it's detachable for replacement I wonder if Sony will bring out a wireless kit. I'd pay for that, and an Omin-treadmill.

Now this is a quality post, genuinely I thank you for it!

You've almost made me fell bad about winding you up the other day. Almost.

;)

I've been useful, I showed how easy it is to wind those smooth brains up. Everyone I mentioned is suddenly here. :lol:

But I must confess I've only played Pavlov a few times. It was good, but very clicky and full of sweats who scream at you when you kill someone but not in the exact way you are supposed to. Kind of like the game that makes Alock shit himself because he can't use 30 paddles and still has to have a pro squad to carry his squidgy arse.
Ok parts of that sound good, others sound shite. What's it like in comparison to Firewall, can casuals get involved or is it unwelcoming?

Right, cheeky annoyance aside, I got to test an early version. And honestly, I do prefer my Quest 2 hooked to the PC.

I'm sorry, we all know I'm a massive fan of new hardware and even Sony (well the OG lot know why that is), but this is scaled back from what they were doing. I'm just not convinced it's the future. They fecked up not building on Resi7, they stalled the release making 8 launch early as non-VR (It was always supposed to be, but Capcom couldn't hold it back long enough), the early sdk had a controller scheme they couldn't follow through with and now we get impressive compared to the PSVR, but it's just not a big enough leap for the outlay and it's already scaring potential developers.

I think the "issues" and all that on reddit are the likes actually reflect the "meh it's ok, I was expecting more" vibe. Not to say it can't be better and push further, but honestly? The only way I'm going to be interested is when some clever sod makes it work on PC so I don't have to pretend GTR7VR is better than Assetto Corsa is in VR.

This needs proper backing now, not half-arsed versions of games, not pissing off developers with promises that don't appear.

If it's any consolation, you're still a cnut mate. :angel:

Oh I already know that. And if you ever play games with me, I'll be just as annoying at times then too. But I am genuine.

Last edited:
Right, cheeky annoyance aside, I got to test an early version. And honestly, I do prefer my Quest 2 hooked to the PC.

I'm sorry, we all know I'm a massive fan of new hardware and even Sony (well the OG lot know why that is), but this is scaled back from what they were doing. I'm just not convinced it's the future. They fecked up not building on Resi7, they stalled the release making 8 launch early as non-VR (It was always supposed to be, but Capcom couldn't hold it back long enough), the early sdk had a controller scheme they couldn't follow through with and now we get impressive compared to the PSVR, but it's just not a big enough leap for the outlay and it's already scaring potential developers.

I think the "issues" and all that on reddit are the likes actually reflect the "meh it's ok, I was expecting more" vibe. Not to say it can't be better and push further, but honestly? The only way I'm going to be interested is when some clever sod makes it work on PC so I don't have to pretend GTR7VR is better than Assetto Corsa is in VR.

This needs proper backing now, not half-arsed versions of games, not pissing of developers with promises that don't appear.

Oh I already know that. And if you ever play games with me, I'll be just as annoying at times then too. But I am genuine.

I think that's fair enough. I don't know about the promises and stuff you mention in the last sentence. But outside of connecting to PC with Q2, what that has is that 'it just works'. My dad (74) has a PSVR, Rift and Q2. He uses the latter all the time. And so did/do I; I think for those in PSVR2's camp that that ease of use is a good thing, in that users know the games are gonna work, just like I know on PC I'll use my 2-hour-Steam window fecking about more often than not.

It needs proper backing like you said, and for all its great titles, PSVR never really got it.

Is it kick off yet? :lol: :lol:

I wanted to buy tetris for this but it's a bit expensive. Will wait for a sale. I love the standard version of that game.

This needs proper backing now, not half-arsed versions of games, not pissing off developers with promises that don't appear.

I think VR will just always be a tiny niche thing. Well, until the day ever comes that you just put on a pair of glasses.

Ok parts of that sound good, others sound shite. What's it like in comparison to Firewall, can casuals get involved or is it unwelcoming?

Both really. Firewall has the childish console kids being incredibly obnoxious dicks, but aren't very good at games despite being mouthy and trashing you. Pavlov has the masterrace vibe: Obnoxious dicks, but good at games and will help you out of pity (and the desire to win).

So Firewall = Alock. Pavlov = Me.

Seriously though, I liked Firewall and the slow paced tactical stuff. Barely played Pavlov, seemed more run and gun and didn't really suit me. Both are full of unhelpful dicks who spend their lives in it though.

I think VR will just always be a tiny niche thing. Well, until the day ever comes that you just put on a pair of glasses.

It's not tiny at all. There's serious development and money in it, this isn't 3D tv. But you are correct in that it's still too inconvenient.

Honestly, the reason VR isn't wireless on the PS5 is the same reason we still need hardware at all, the infrastructure is still not there. But if "meta" (urgh) or Pico get around to a new headset with upgraded processors and more forward thinking controllers, then developers will jump back on board in droves.

It's not tiny at all. There's serious development and money in it, this isn't 3D tv. But you are correct in that it's still too inconvenient.

Honestly, the reason VR isn't wireless on the PS5 is the same reason we still need hardware at all, the infrastructure is still not there. But if "meta" (urgh) or Pico get around to a new headset with upgraded processors and more forward thinking controllers, then developers will jump back on board in droves.

What are you implying here?

Literally the next bit mate " the infrastructure is still not there".

Try playing the Quest 2 on your PC wireless. You can do it, and it's ok, but it's not there yet.

Yeah fair enough, ahve and it ain't - but it's not horrific - I remember using the side loaded remote desktio on Q1 and it was OKkkkk. I guess you did you Vive wireless, the OG one and I know its a long time, but it was perfect from a what gets in your eyes POV

Yeah fair enough, ahve and it ain't - but it's not horrific - I remember using the side loaded remote desktio on Q1 and it was OKkkkk. I guess you did you Vive wireless, the OG one and I know its a long time, but it was perfect from a what gets in your eyes POV

Oh yeah, it works well on many levels. But remember the general public still can't get their heads around why looking at screenshots of games on VR look worse than no VR. The same people who instead of marveling at the scale of the world of Skyrim in VR chose to wonder why at some points it looks like it is running on a Spectrum. It's not even their fault either, we are trained to think shiny is better with buzzwords so when you run a scaled down version of a game even in a whole new way, people will mostly always see the worst.

It's a losing battle as it is, let alone connection problems to add to the performance issues. Makes it even worse when the supposedly AAA games that launch run like shite on the console before VR is even considered. For example, there's no reason a PS5 with VR2 couldn't pull off Hogwarts at better fidelity than the Skyrim launch on the PSVR, apart from the fact the engine barely runs well enough in the first place. We are in a weird place with that.

But I could rant all night about fake 60fps, even faker 120hz and how modern consoles are understood and utilised worse than ever before. And nobody needs that!

This is not a huge spoiler, at all but to be safe. Hiding in the grass (?) from the machines in horizon VR is sensational.

In more bummer news, I do still keep losing my tracking and it's annoying as it takes you out of the game!

This is not a huge spoiler, at all but to be safe. Hiding in the grass (?) from the machines in horizon VR is sensational.

In more bummer news, I do still keep losing my tracking and it's annoying as it takes you out of the game!
Theres a setting called tracking support, try that... Or alter your lighting?

Theres a setting called tracking support, try that... Or alter your lighting?
Thanks, I've just done some research and I had that setting on. If it's a light issue I'm not sure how I fix tbh. There is a light on amazon that's meant to help with tracking. Might be worth me looking at that because there is nothing left in settings to try.

My poor wallet after all this

Thanks, I've just done some research and I had that setting on. If it's a light issue I'm not sure how I fix tbh. There is a light on amazon that's meant to help with tracking. Might be worth me looking at that because there is nothing left in settings to try.

@Redlambs

Never done any VR before, had a go on Horizon yesterday as my roommate loves the tech and had everything pre-ordered.

Blew my mind, truthfully, for maybe 20 mins before I started to feel a bit queasy. From the POV of a complete VR newbie I was surprised at just how cool I found it.

Never done any VR before, had a go on Horizon yesterday as my roommate loves the tech and had everything pre-ordered.

Blew my mind, truthfully, for maybe 20 mins before I started to feel a bit queasy. From the POV of a complete VR newbie I was surprised at just how cool I found it.
It's an awesome game. And trust me, it only gets cooler the more you play.

So, Playstation support is the shits...

What 'lighting' do you have, before you spend more money.

Is he going to roast me or something?!

Edit Despite these issues I'm loving this when it works!

I think he's asking for ideas mate, you guys are paranoid! :lol:

But in general with VR, it's not ambiant light it's the sources that cause issues. So if you can imagine the sun beaming through the window and getting a glare point, or a lightbulb too close. Even reflections in mirror can confuse it. Do you have a desk lamp anywhere? you could try closing the curtains and setting that up somewhere nearby. Also make sure you don't have your phone or any other wireless devices too close because interference can happen.

Some people on Reddit saying it's not a crisp as they'd expected, more 1080p type resolution. Any truth to that from those that own it?

I think he's asking for ideas mate, you guys are paranoid! :lol:

But in general with VR, it's not ambiant light it's the sources that cause issues. So if you can imagine the sun beaming through the window and getting a glare point, or a lightbulb too close. Even reflections in mirror can confuse it. Do you have a desk lamp anywhere? you could try closing the curtains and setting that up somewhere nearby. Also make sure you don't have your phone or any other wireless devices too close because interference can happen.
Funny you mention a desk lamp. I read about that online and I just tried putting it in the part of the room the headset mostly loses tracking in and so far, so good! Only lost tracking once in an hour. So, maybe that was the issue.

Some people on Reddit saying it's not a crisp as they'd expected, more 1080p type resolution. Any truth to that from those that own it?
I would agree with that for horizon. It looks great but the far away stuff looks to have a blur to it. Resi 8 never had that problem, though.

One of the benefits of the higher resolution panels is you get less screen door effect*, but that doesn't mean all games are going to (be able to) run at that high a resolution. FPS is key in VR else you can get very sick very quickly if it's not smooth/you're not used to it.

*it's still not great on bright scenes, I was expecting it to be slightly better. Check the intro section of Horizon if you can and you'll see it there quite frequently.

We need to remember the screen resolution is but one part, the games still need to run at a higher fps so there will be plenty of resolution tricks which will be shown up even more on screens that close.

I got Pavlov in the end, who's down for a sesh later (I also have After the Fall)? Also when are we doing the GT7 sesh?

Last edited:
Despite my tech issues, I've got to say Horizon is a amazing experience.

It's funny when I say that the game is special, but if it was a 2d game it would be a 3/10. It's the simple things that make it in VR, though.

I'm gonna wait for a sale on CotM, bit pricey. Pavlov has been good fun. It's like Counter Strike in VR basically...