Gaming PlayStation 5

Nier Automata’s genius lies in its story, complex themes, art design, atmosphere and fun combat loop. It’s not really meant to be overly difficult and I’d say the themes and narrative do take some to unpack.

For me, it was the 3rd best game of the last console generation and would make my top 20 of all time. That’s one game I’d love a remaster of but it reckon it would merely be visual as in all other elements it’s still right up there. Maybe after a decade.

Yeah, on Normal. I’ll try boosting it.
Ok hard mode increases enemy damage by 4x and anything other than a mob at a lower level is a one shot. I’m not bothered enough to persevere with that level of difficulty.

I know that most of us felt TLOU P1 was unnecessary at the time but I’m glad they did it - albiet it needed a decent upgrade path but thankfully they gave it on PS Plus. The visuals, dual sense support and improved gameplay (not quite the apex P2 levels but get closer to that) makes replaying it a fantastic experience.

I know that most of us felt TLOU P1 was unnecessary at the time but I’m glad they did it - albiet it needed a decent upgrade path but thankfully they gave it on PS Plus. The visuals, dual sense support and improved gameplay (not quite the apex P2 levels but get closer to that) makes replaying it a fantastic experience.

I might have to give it a replay, fancy a single player game and nothing new taking my fancy atm

I saw that last of us had popped up on PS+. I didn't realise it was the remaster. I never played the original, it came with my PS4 bundle but I didn't get round to playing it. Will definitely give it a go when I get past the current games Im playing.

I gave in and bought Astro Bot after initially thinking it wouldn't be my cup of tea and wondering what the fuss was about and all i can say is, wow! what a game!

Just cleaning up some collectibles and stuff on SE5 and getting some practice in before swoosh shouts at me in coop, and bloody hell it's just a simple but amazing game.

I saw that last of us had popped up on PS+. I didn't realise it was the remaster. I never played the original, it came with my PS4 bundle but I didn't get round to playing it. Will definitely give it a go when I get past the current games Im playing.
Its part of Collection so most likely will be removed in 1-2 month. My guess is before the premiere of Second season of HBO’s Last of us

Ok, Nier Automata. I thought it was poor, I've had to put it down. Its a mystery to me why its so highly rated.

I could appreciate the non-linear storytelling, which I think showed flair. This was the highlight. But mechanically I found the game boring and frustrating.

The combat was shallow and repetitive, especially the enemy design, which was 99% the same few robots you fought back in the intro mission. The levels were small and mostly low on detail. The city, desert and forest areas looked comparable in design to something like Shadow of the Colossus, which was a PS2 game. Neither combat nor exploration had anywhere near enough variety to justify the amount of time you spent doing it. And the less said about Route B the better.

I really liked the topdown shmup elements, I wish there was more of that. I also liked the hacking mini game. But those felt like asides to the main game.

Honestly, it feels like it could have been a solid 7 to 10 hour action game, but they turned it into a 25+ hour JRPG through repetition and padding.

Got my pro order. Couldn't get a fancy 30th one, though. Did anyone here actually get one?

Silent Hill 2 remake looks great. I've got my order in. The problem is I have no PS5 until the pro comes...

I gave in and bought Astro Bot after initially thinking it wouldn't be my cup of tea and wondering what the fuss was about and all i can say is, wow! what a game!
It's a lovely little game and the cutesy presentation hides that some of those bonus platforming levels are quite tricky.

I just can't bring myself to buy it at full price, knowing fine well it'll end up on ps plus at some point anyway.

Its part of Collection so most likely will be removed in 1-2 month. My guess is before the premiere of Second season of HBO’s Last of us

Ah yeah, forgot they remove stuff, just downloading it now to replay it :drool: think I'll just have it on easy mode this time around though, may pick up the 2nd ones improved version too as think that's only a tenner as I bought it anyway.

Ok, Nier Automata. I thought it was poor, I've had to put it down. Its a mystery to me why its so highly rated.

I could appreciate the non-linear storytelling, which I think showed flair. This was the highlight. But mechanically I found the game boring and frustrating.

The combat was shallow and repetitive, especially the enemy design, which was 99% the same few robots you fought back in the intro mission. The levels were small and mostly low on detail. The city, desert and forest areas looked comparable in design to something like Shadow of the Colossus, which was a PS2 game. Neither combat nor exploration had anywhere near enough variety to justify the amount of time you spent doing it. And the less said about Route B the better.

I really liked the topdown shmup elements, I wish there was more of that. I also liked the hacking mini game. But those felt like asides to the main game.

Honestly, it feels like it could have been a solid 7 to 10 hour action game, but they turned it into a 25+ hour JRPG through repetition and padding.

Did you only get to the end of Route B? That part is terrible iirc but from Route C onwards the story really kicks into gear. There's a total of five endings I think (in addition to the joke ones).

I'd like to recommend sticking it on easy to power through if you're at all interested in finishing it because the combat does suck for the most part. It's a lot of busy work.

Last edited:
It's a lovely little game and the cutesy presentation hides that some of those bonus platforming levels are quite tricky.
Some of them were really tough. The last one for the final bot was a real pain to finish.

Beautiful game though. I wouldn't be surprised to see it win GOTY.

Did you only get to the end of Route B? That part is terrible iirc but from Route C onwards the story really kicks into gear. There's a total of five endings I think (in addition to the joke ones).

I'd like to recommend sticking it on easy to power through if you're at all interested in finishing it because the combat does suck for the most part. It's a lot of busy work.
No I was about halfway through C , judging from a walkthrough I looked at. I’d played as A2 for a bit.

Finally managed to platinum Astro Bot after those tricky challenge levels. Had finished the main game a few days ago but those challenge levels were the final hurdle that I was finding very difficult, especially for someone that doesn’t play video games that often. That grand master one at the end for the final bot was a mare but delighted to have finally beaten it after countless attempts.

Going to begin SW Outlaws next.

That great master challenge on Astro is fecking outrageous. Don’t think I’ve had Soulsborne bosses that needed this many attempts.

That great master challenge on Astro is fecking outrageous. Don’t think I’ve had Soulsborne bosses that needed this many attempts.

It's tricky but you'll get it in the end. I'd have half a dozen or so attempts and then stop and come back to it later. Was incredibly satisfying nailing it finally.

It's tricky but you'll get it in the end. I'd have half a dozen or so attempts and then stop and come back to it later. Was incredibly satisfying nailing it finally.
I think the most annoying part is I keep regularly reaching those stupid birds now but don't have time to master it because you have to repeat the rest of the fecking thing over and over to get to them. I hate those purple blobs!

I usually have to step away after a few attempts anyway as you say cause I get so fecking angry.

I think the most annoying part is I keep regularly reaching those stupid birds now but don't have time to master it because you have to repeat the rest of the fecking thing over and over to get to them. I hate those purple blobs!

I usually have to step away after a few attempts anyway as you say cause I get so fecking angry.

Yeah those blob spitters are absolutely the most annoying part. I'd recommend watching a video on the last bit so you're ready for it next time you get there. There's 4 different patterns and I think you get past the first 1 or 2 without having to jump by dodging side to side. Last 2 you have to jump through the middle and time it as the second one is quicker and needs smaller jumps.

Yeah those blob spitters are absolutely the most annoying part. I'd recommend watching a video on the last bit so you're ready for it next time you get there. There's 4 different patterns and I think you get past the first 1 or 2 without having to jump by dodging side to side. Last 2 you have to jump through the middle and time it as the second one is quicker and needs smaller jumps.
Got it on my lunch break. Very satisfying how quickly you fly through it by the end. feck those birds!

Reactions: CassiusClaymore
Started Horizon FW last week. The graphics are absurdly good. Really enjoyed the first open world area - chainscrape which I’m almost done with.

Last edited:
One of my favourite games, it just gets better and better!
Even in gameplay Alloy’s model looks better that that from cutscenes of most games. That hair!

If the ZD remaster upgrade looks this good then I’m getting that too given it’s just 10 dollars.