Gaming PlayStation 5

I dunno, PS5 sales are enormous, Sony have increased the price because they can. MS released the Series S as a budget option and it was a total failure. That said the price of this Pro model is nuts, it could maybe be justified if it had a disc drive and the stand included but releasing a product that is lesser in some areas at a 30% markup is just bananas.

My guess is unlike the PS4 Pro Sony probably feel the PS5 Pro is just a "Pro" option for more hardcore gamers and are happy that the PS5 will still be the defacto for most? Whereas the PS4 already felt like it was struggling with games by the time the Pro came out.

Who knows, Sony gonna Sony, they always make baffling decisions.
Production numbers will show their intent. If it’s this super high brow inaccessible product to the masses, they won’t make many. I have a feeling they’ve over shot and will end up relenting.

I do think this is aimed much more at the enthusiast market than the PS4 Pro, which almost replaced the base model. That's clearly not going to happen this time.

Obviously there will be enthusiasts that buy it, but we're hardly talking a massive bump in performance and/or graphics, nor are there many games that will make that bump worthwhile either.

I do think this is aimed much more at the enthusiast market than the PS4 Pro, which almost replaced the base model. That's clearly not going to happen this time.
Yeah the PS4 Pro was basically a PS4.5, this really does feel like more of a “it has a few nice things like ray tracing that the basic model doesn’t and you need to pay a lot for them”. It sort of makes sense but obviously it’s still frustrating it’s so expensive for what it is, whereas the ps4 pro at launch was an absolute no brainer for anyone wanting an upgrade.

PlayStation has been my preferred console for aeons but a 200 dollar jump for a minor graphical upgrade isn’t worth it. It’s when the price drops 2 years later and your then AAA games are running at 30fps when this becomes anywhere near sensible.

Besides the price of the thing, for what it offers, I found it a missed opportunity to not announce a new title alongside it. Feck, even a Bloodborne remake from Bluepoint games showing off the pro's capabilities would have had the Internet going wild. Sony are the masters of missed opportunities these days it seems. Instead their announcement consisted of games we already played 2-3 years ago.

Last edited:
Yeah i cant claim its hurt their sales obviously. They probably would buy one when GTA6 got released or if it ever went on sale, you could certainly pick them up later in the lifespan.
I just think this price will push it completely off the table for them and is shrinking the market basically.
Ultimately who are Sony even competing with now though? They’ve won the battle with Microsoft, Nintendo target a completely different market (and Sony have basically given up on Japan where Nintendo are totally dominant) and they don’t see PC as a threat as they’ve been releasing all their first party games on it. From their perspective they have basically no competition so why would they drop prices or release this at a loss? It’s shit but sadly the console market is stifled primarily because Microsoft have made such a balls of the last two generations.

Besides the price of the thing, for what it offers, I found it a missed opportunity to not announce a new title alongside it. Feck, even a Bloodborne remake from Bluepoint games showing off the pro's capabilities would have had the Internet going wild. Sony are the masters of missed opportunities these days it seems. Instead their announcement consistented of games we already played 2-3 years ago.
They are rumoured to do another showcase or state of play at the end of the month. I think they really need it. An announcement of something by Sucker Punch and/or Naughty Dog is overdue.

€800 and no disc drive :lol: :lol: cocky Sony from the beginning of the PS3 era are back it seems.

Hard pass on this. Even if you’re trading in your existing PS5 it’s going to be a huge outlay. CeX are only offering £237 for a boxed OG PS5 so even if you sell it you’re looking at £500+ for the Pro. No thanks. Regardless of how significant the Pro upgrades are, I’m struggling to think of any scenario in which I’d pay £800 for a PlayStation. If it was fully backwards compatible with PS1, 2, 3, and 4 discs then I’d be tempted. Not this.

Base PS4- €400
PS4 pro - €400
Digital ps5 - €400
Ps5 pro sans disc drive - €800

They are rumoured to do another showcase or state of play at the end of the month. I think they really need it. An announcement of something by Sucker Punch and/or Naughty Dog is overdue.

They really do. I found it funny that their new critically acclaimed platformer Astro Bot wasn't even mentioned among "enhanced" games also. As far as I know that's only running at 1440p, and Ray Tracing being added could be stunning. Not that it doesn't already look and run fantastic, but found it amusing.

It wasn’t, PS4 Pro was only around 15% of the total PS4 sales.

It’s a ridiculous price for not a lot of benefit. I can’t see it selling particularly well and to be honest I hope it doesn’t so expectations are set for the next gen.

I never bother with the pro versions anyway, always think it's close enough to the end of the generations cycle anyway. I don't mind not having 7 billion FPS which my eyes can't even tell the difference anyway.

Ultimately who are Sony even competing with now though? They’ve won the battle with Microsoft, Nintendo target a completely different market (and Sony have basically given up on Japan where Nintendo are totally dominant) and they don’t see PC as a threat as they’ve been releasing all their first party games on it. From their perspective they have basically no competition so why would they drop prices or release this at a loss? It’s shit but sadly the console market is stifled primarily because Microsoft have made such a balls of the last two generations.
At that price they're competing against PC and they dont compare favourably

Typical Sony, get into a market dominating position and then think, "how can we shoot ourselves on the foot?"

This is what they did when launching PS3.

They have now dropped the ball on their last three hardware releases, PSVR2, PS Portal, and now PS5 Pro. Like others have said, this won't sell well off the bat.

Why they thought removing the disc drive was the way forward too... crazy.

They’re competing with pc for almost zero of their core user base. Most people who buy consoles have no interest in PCs. We’ve been over this.
I dont know what core user base there's left. Its all anecdotal but my console only friends have either bought pc's or not bought anything this generation. If you think i'm down on ps5 or this generations consoles you should hear what those who've recently switched to pc think of it. Scathing.
I have about 3 friends who'd normally buy a console and play it regularly who've just given up on gaming basically. Getting them to spend €500 on a console ranges from laughable to a really hard sell. And I'm the only one trying to sell it, everyone else is saying dont bother its terrible.

I'm not in any way saying that the pricing is justifiable for the lack of innovation. I definitely see no reason to buy one, my PS5 sees little use as is (no great games, playing almost anything on PC).

But I'm surprised about the number of people here and on reddit commenting about the lack of a disc drive. Are you guys still buying most of your games in disc form? For those who are, can I inquire as to why? From the stats I thought that digital game purchases were well into 60%+ of the mix, but anecdotally it doesn't seem to be lining up.

I'm not in any way saying that the pricing is justifiable for the lack of innovation. I definitely see no reason to buy one, my PS5 sees little use as is (no great games, playing almost anything on PC).

But I'm surprised about the number of people here and on reddit commenting about the lack of a disc drive. Are you guys still buying most of your games in disc form? For those who are, can I inquire as to why? From the stats I thought that digital game purchases were well into 60%+ of the mix, but anecdotally it doesn't seem to be lining up.
If you don't have a disc drive it means you are locked into the sony store and at the mercy of whatever Sony decides to charge Vs being able to buy games second hand with physical

Would be a big reason why I'd want a disc drive if I were to buy a ps5 again

Sure most software sales are digital, but there are far more PS5's with a drive out there, and all PS4 + Pro consoles had a drive as well. Chances are very high that even those that do most of their purchases digitally have at least a few PS4 and/or PS5 discs lying around. These become useless with an all-digital console, and on top of that you just lose options.

I buy 90% of mine on disk! Gives me resale value. I bet you loved the signing of Casemiro!

I buy almost everything on physical, gaming is my lifetime hobby and I have a collection of hundreds if not over a thousand physical games dating back to the late 80’s onwards. For the most part if it’s not on physical I won’t buy it. Only the other week I got my Mega Drive out and all my old games and spent the evening playing Comix Zone, Streets of Rage 2, and Empire of Steel.

Actually having the game in my hand is a key part of the hobby for me. It’s also nice to be able to pick up cheap discs on modern consoles, instead of having to wait until they go on sale digitally, and the ability to resell them if you want.

If you don't have a disc drive it means you are locked into the sony store and at the mercy of whatever Sony decides to charge Vs being able to buy games second hand with physical

That was the only reason for me. But then I realised that my PS4's disc drive stopped working over a year ago and there was never a time I missed it.

I buy almost everything on physical, gaming is my lifetime hobby and I have a collection of hundreds if not over a thousand physical games dating back to the late 80’s onwards. For the most part if it’s not on physical I won’t buy it. Only the other week I got my Mega Drive out and all my old games and spent the evening playing Comix Zone, Streets of Rage 2, and Empire of Steel.

Actually having the game in my hand is a key part of the hobby for me. It’s also nice to be able to pick up cheap discs on modern consoles, instead of having to wait until they go on sale digitally, and the ability to resell them if you want.
I guess you're the core user base then as thats not a thing on pc is it?

I guess you're the core user base then as thats not a thing on pc is it?

It’s not. I’m a PC gamer too, and have hundreds of games on Steam. Console gaming has always been its own thing, but consoles now are edging closer and closer to just being more convenient PC’s. Older consoles had a lot more personality due to the hardware quirks, and in terms of physical games, they all had different presentations. PS5 may be the last console we get with a disc drive, I’m holding on to it while I still can.

It’s not. I’m a PC gamer too, and have hundreds of games on Steam. Console gaming has always been its own thing, but consoles now are edging closer and closer to just being more convenient PC’s. Older consoles had a lot more personality due to the hardware quirks, and in terms of physical games, they all had different presentations. PS5 may be the last console we get with a disc drive, I’m holding on to it while I still can.
Yeah, the 360 was a bit of a crossing point for me. I was a lot more into them when it was sega and nintendo.
I have a bookcase of old games, its kind of nice almost as a decoration but one bookcase is enough and i'm happy enough to keep the rest storing up on steam.

I would say they are FAR less convenient PC's seen as you need to have an online subscription to play online, storage is usually more limited and expanding it on the new consoles is expensive, can't use your joypads from other consoles like you can on PC, much more restricted in how and where you buy your software etc.

With all the talk about margin I guess we shouldn't be surprised.

It's not really a big deal though is it. It won't harm the sales of the base console and as long as they continue to offer a fairly priced base model to the market anything else can remain niche plays.

Gotta feel for the fans in the home market, they are getting screwed worse than other regions. The PS5 Pro is 119,980 yen so over double the launch price of the regular PS5.

This PS cycle is going to be nearer 10 years than 7 isn't it? I don't see how they will release anything with a good bump in specs for a decent price for quite a while with the Pro at this price point.

Fair.

Sure most software sales are digital, but there are far more PS5's with a drive out there, and all PS4 + Pro consoles had a drive as well. Chances are very high that even those that do most of their purchases digitally have at least a few PS4 and/or PS5 discs lying around. These become useless with an all-digital console, and on top of that you just lose options.
I didn't know that more PS5s with the disc drive sold than the digital edition. And your comment about people having PS4+5 discs also makes sense.

That's pretty cool. I gave away my consoles going back to the PS1/2/3, but I do wish I could bust one of them out every now and then.

I buy 90% of mine on disk! Gives me resale value. I bet you loved the signing of Casemiro!
What?

Probably an age thing but going this way with technology across the board for me. Even with the disposable income, I struggle to justify upgrades - same feeling with Apple yesterday.

Content to just use things until they break now.